PDA

View Full Version : Dog opinions wanted.

buck
04-27-2009, 09:41 PM
It's time to get a dog for the family. I have two daughters that are gonna freak if we don't do something. I've listened to it for about 5 years now and decided to finally give in.

If it were up to me we would get a German Shepherd. That's all I had growing up as a kid on the farm. I don't think sweetie would go for it though. I'm wanting something with short hair, and something that doesn't **** like a whale. Don't want too small as we are in the country. It needs to be able to be able to roam around without the risk of getting injured.

We are NOT looking for a house dog.

I am leaning towards a Basset Hound. Having done a lot of research on them it looks like they rank very high for a good kid dog. Good disposition and they like to play and run. Look to be a fairly medium to low maintenance dog.

I need to know one thing that I haven't found from my research. Do they handle the cold very well? Our winter weather isn't extreme by any means, but we do see some temps in the teens or occasionally lower. For the most part I would bring it in the garage on extreme nights, just don't want to keep it there every night or all day for that matter.

Please give any and all opinions on this breed. I would consider suggestions for other breeds.

As always, thanks in advance.

Buck

Ratickle
04-27-2009, 09:48 PM
I'd go with the SMall to Medium Spaniels. Cocker, English setter, Springer, etc. Big enough to run with you, small enough to sit on your daughters lap, and very smart. Also good for hunting if you are so inclined.

Tony
04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I considered a Bassett Hound for a while. They do have a few downsides, they can get mean, real mean, its rare but when they do look out. They also have a strong hound stench. How many acres will it have to run? I looked at Blue Heelers but they are territiorial to beat hell and can be pretty vicious when they feel their property (your kids) are threatened. With two daughters, your dog wont be sleeping outside when its cold out. ;)

phragle
04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
cant go wrong with a golden retriever

Wrinkleface
04-27-2009, 10:00 PM
lab

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
I've had a few different breeds (English Setter, Wire hair tarrier, shelty, couple of old english sheep dogs and a black lab). Although they're excessively popular, labs are so for a reason. It was by a mile the best dog I ever had. Great personality, playful, loyal, friendly... I could go on and on... Can't wait until the kids are old enough for me to get another one.

cuda
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I would say a lab or other retriever, but for the long hair.

Maybe an Austrailian Cattle Dog (Blue or Red Heeler). My American Bullog weighs about 65. Not so big he's in the way, but defintely to be a deterent. Hardly sheds either. Bulldogs are the most lovable and loyal dogs I'v ever had. Bar none.

catastrophe
04-27-2009, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't get a dog if I wasn't going to let it in the house.

cuda
04-27-2009, 10:16 PM

Mine never come in. I've had all three for ten years.

phragle
04-27-2009, 10:21 PM
lab

does george know you justvsaid that???

Wrinkleface
04-27-2009, 10:24 PM
does george know you justvsaid that???

he's secure!!! just B'n reasonable w/ Buck w/ his requirements!!!

Perlmudder
04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
lab

yep! have 3, but they are all house dogs.

Warlock28SXT
04-27-2009, 10:30 PM
lab

I have to agree with both. I have a chocolate lab. He just turned 6 this month. Great dog, great with kids, not mine, friends kids, I don't have any.

As far as not letting it inside, hell mine sleeps in bed. He's one of the family.

catastrophe
04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
I might consider more than one dog being outside dogs like CUDA said, to keep one another company.

Gets real cold here in winter and I could never leave a pet stay in garage alone.

Best outside dog I had was a rotweiller. Great with visiting kids.

Iv'e had friends with all the dogs suggested and they were all great pets. Its all in how they are treated.

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Cuda's dogs live under the porch and in one of the old refidgerators in his front yard. Ha ha ha!

Wrinkleface
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM

I grew up w/ outside dogs but would only have an inside dog now! I am single, have no kids from previous marriages. My dog is my kid!! The company/friendship my Buddy gives me, well, no words can describe!! good luck Buck w/ your search!!

LotoSteve
04-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Border Collie or Austrailian shepard. Had a Border Collie for 15 years. Great with kids and smart as hell. They do have long hair but mine didnt really shed.

catastrophe
04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
"The company/friendship my Buddy gives me, well, no words can describe!! "

You are right....no words can describe:)

TomZ
04-27-2009, 11:11 PM
A lot of folks might freak at this (needlessly), but my vote would be a American Pit Bull Terrier. Get a good "game" bloodline dog from a real breeder (stay away from the show stuff... the APBT is a working/sporting dog), and you'll have a great friend for life! Great with kids, can take a real beating (built like little tanks with the energy to go all day long), will instinctively protect you and your family/property without needing to be trained (they just know when to turn it on), and will truly be a lap dog if wanted. They do not tolerate cold very well without help... a dog house is sufficient (and a responsibility). If you pair them up, make sure it's a male and female.

I've been around these dogs for over 25 years. They get a bad rap... needlessly.

catmando
04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
x10

BBB725
04-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Border Collie or Austrailian shepard. Had a Border Collie for 15 years. Great with kids and smart as hell. They do have long hair but mine didnt really shed.

Just make sure they have a "job" to do around the house, they have alot of energy that needs a purpose

buck
04-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Keep the suggestions coming guys. I appreciate it. All ideas will be looked at thoroughly.

As for the house topic...

Not a huge deal to me. Personally I don't want any odor. Urinating or crapping in the house would be a HUGE deal. Obviously this can be fixed with training and age, but keep in mind we will start out with a puppy. I'm not stupid there. I grew up with dogs in the house. Lap dogs to Shepherds, no big deal to me. Sweetie on the other hand isn't gonna bite. Just moved into the house we built about 6 months ago so that will be a toughy. She didn't grow up around animals like myself.

Maybe it's something that will grow on her in time?

I don't see the dog being left outside altogether. We have an oversized 3 car garage along with a walkout unfinished basement that's 1,900 sq/ft. Long story short, there will be very comfortable facilities for whatever animal we choose.

Tony, we own 5 acres with the house. Between us and our neighbors the dog will be free to roam about 50 or so without any issues with neighboring properties.

Keep it coming all...

Buck

rbhudelson
04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
a Rat or Fox Terrier or a Jack Russell.

buck
04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
a Rat or Fox Terrier or a Jack Russell.

Wow, those Jack Russells are like flubber on crank. Don't know if I can keep up with those d@mn things.

I'll take a look at the Rat and Fox though.

Buck

catmando
04-28-2009, 12:20 AM
A lot of folks might freak at this (needlessly), but my vote would be a American Pit Bull Terrier. Get a good "game" bloodline dog from a real breeder (stay away from the show stuff... the APBT is a working/sporting dog), and you'll have a great friend for life! Great with kids, can take a real beating (built like little tanks with the energy to go all day long), will instinctively protect you and your family/property without needing to be trained (they just know when to turn it on), and will truly be a lap dog if wanted. They do not tolerate cold very well without help... a dog house is sufficient (and a responsibility). If you pair them up, make sure it's a male and female.

I've been around these dogs for over 25 years. They get a bad rap... needlessly.When my 110lb pit bull barked, you might not have known what he was, but you knew he was BIG. OTOH if you still had cojones and got in the house, he would have shown you where all the valuables were and helped you carry them out.

The point of that story is; if you want a watch dog get a pit bull. If you want a guard dog do NOT get a pit bull. My top five guard dogs;

1) Turkish Kangal
2) Caucasian Ovtcharka
3) Rottweiler
4) Cane Corso
5) Dogo Argentino

You can't go wrong with any of those guys. The Kangal and Ovtcharka are thick-furred dogs, perfect for winter and are primarily outside dogs, although they can come inside and be a wonderful family dog as well.

To show why the Kangal is at the top of my list, watch this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYWWqY7Lv8

I guarantee no one will break into your home when they hear one of these dogs in it.

sledge
04-28-2009, 12:27 AM
All dogs can stink and so does their crap no matter the breed. Get the one you want because you'll probably be the primary caregiver before long. :D Get a crate and train it right from the get go and you won't have many accidents in the house. When it smells, give it a bath.

My German Shepherd was a royal PITA for the first year. He'd pull the door open on his all metal crate. And when I turned the door towards the wall, the phucker ripped open the back side of the crate. You wouldn't believe me if I told you all the stuff that he's eaten....and passed (FYI plumber's putty is totally non-toxic). But I wouldn't trade him or his white hair for anything. Dang dog is there at my bedside every morning making sure I get my lazy @ss up and let him out. :D

Pete
04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Just go with the GS. I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner. Always had a GS and had to put the last one down when the girls were 5. If I had a dollar for every time I hear, "I'm soooo glad we got him" this past year he wouldn't have cost me a penny.:)

catmando
04-28-2009, 12:46 AM
LOL@ that dog spotting for you. :26: :rofl:

Scarab KV
04-28-2009, 12:47 AM
When my 110lb pit bull barked, you might not have known what he was, but you knew he was BIG. OTOH if you still had cojones and got in the house, he would have shown you where all the valuables were and helped you carry them out.

The point of that story is; if you want a watch dog get a pit bull. If you want a guard dog do NOT get a pit bull. My top five guard dogs;

1) Turkish Kangal
2) Caucasian Ovtcharka
3) Rottweiler
4) Cane Corso
5) Dogo Argentino

You can't go wrong with any of those guys. The Kangal and Ovtcharka are thick-furred dogs, perfect for winter and are primarily outside dogs, although they can come inside and be a wonderful family dog as well.

I guarantee no one will break into your home when they hear one of these dogs in it.

Damn...where's the saddle?

Pete
04-28-2009, 12:51 AM
:)

catmando
04-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Damn...where's the saddle?The males are 34-38" tall and weigh 140-180. They were bred to protect livestock from bears, wolves and big cats. There are Kangals in Yellowstone protecting sheep and cattle from wolves and in south Texas as well. There is a Kangal program in the Maasai tribal area protecting their cattle from cheetahs.

The Turkish government was very gracious in letting several breeding pairs leave the country. The Kangal is their National Dog and they protect the bloodlines. All of the Kangals in America and Africa are pure bred. You have to sign a paper saying you will not cross-breed them and you are checked rechecked and checked again.

Bobcat
04-28-2009, 06:09 AM
lab or golden retriever

Ratickle
04-28-2009, 07:04 AM
lab or golden retriever

I figured you say get a Bobcat....

Tony
04-28-2009, 07:05 AM
If you get a lab, get one from a well known reputable breeder. The original bloodlines made for an excellent all around intelligent dog. The popularity of the lab has lead every Tom, Dick, and Harry to breed and sell them by the truckload. Ive talked to more than one hunter who says the backyard breeders have all but ruined the bloodlines.

BBB is right, if you get a high energy dog, you will absolutly need something to expel that energy on a regular basis otherwise little Rover will make your life hell. I bought a Redbone becase I always wanted one, I was expecting a sleep under the porch all day type of dog. What I got was a hyper active hound that wants to run like Forrest Gump on crank 24/7 with no signs of ever slowing down.

Offshoredrillin
04-28-2009, 07:13 AM
I can help you rescue a pit from here... go to www.recycledlove.org some of the best dogs in the world. and they need a good home.

go on and look at the pit named butter, a clients wife has worked with her and she is a sweety great with kids, not much shedding and after a week, she will be wanting to go to the shop with you.

Airpacker
04-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Someone mentioned an Aussie cow dog. I have a 3 year old and she is an amazing dog BUT, you need to know that the breed is a very much one person dog. She is my shadow. She will get up and folow me if I take 3 steps. I trip over her 20 times a day. She is way too smart for MY own good. Aussies definately need a ton of activity because they are bred to be very high energy / endurance animals. Just roaming free around the yard will not do it. They crave dog / owner interaction and will do anything to please "Master" but to leave one alone is asking for trouble. They will find ways to entertain themselves in your absence. Usually not "good" ways either.

If you can handle that, they are incredibly loving and loyal dogs, tough as nails for their size and afraid of nothing. My female is 35 lbs of pure muscle. Lightening fast and amazing to watch work other dogs as cattle. She wil heard anything that moves, kids, dogs, cows, birds, it doesn't matter. They tend to have a huge small prey drive so critters, cats and the like need to beware. It takes a firm hand on the leash if a squirrel or chipmunk crosses your path.

JETJOCK
04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Lab....My buddy "Marley" loves to boat!

catastrophe
04-28-2009, 09:01 AM

You'll probably find, boating or whatever, he seems to like it , just cuz he's with you.

Knot 4 Me
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Golden. Make sure you get one from a reputable breeder. You get what you pay for. Molly is 7 1/2 years old now and outside of yearly checkups, has never been to the vet for anything. Vet raves over her health every year. I got mine from here --> www.benningtonhills.com Best mannered, most behaved, easy to train dog I have ever owned.

Davidmnc
04-28-2009, 09:21 AM
OK, I know I am about to sound very PC, but I have had dogs all my life. Mostly Lab/Retrievers. Full blooded to mutts. The best pets have always been lab mix mutts. They have always been loyal, smart and kind natured. So my suggestion to you is load the girls up, and take them down to the animal shelter and pick out a puppy. You won’t be disappointed. IMO

searaycer
04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Boxers got my vote, growing up we had labs and beagles and mutts, but for the last fifteen years or so we have had five boxers and they are great with kids good with keeping an eye on things and just great dogs overall.

Ratickle
04-28-2009, 09:27 AM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28695663/

Here you go.....

bret
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Boxers got my vote, growing up we had labs and beagles and mutts, but for the last fifteen years or so we have had five boxers and they are great with kids good with keeping an eye on things and just great dogs overall.

Same here. Had Shepards all my life but my Boxer is the best all around dog I have had.
Got everything your looking for:
Short hair
Good with kids
Will stay outside.
Not too big or small
Easy to train.
Protective.
So ugly their cute and you can even dress them up.

cuda
04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I might consider more than one dog being outside dogs like CUDA said, to keep one another company.

Gets real cold here in winter and I could never leave a pet stay in garage alone.

Best outside dog I had was a rotweiller. Great with visiting kids.

Iv'e had friends with all the dogs suggested and they were all great pets. Its all in how they are treated.

Rotties are great dogs too. Very loyal, but the chit like an elephant!:eek:

cuda
04-28-2009, 10:12 AM

I've been around these dogs for over 25 years. They get a bad rap... needlessly.

That's why both my male's came from the same litter. They are bulldog/cur dog mix. Both great wild hog dogs. Cur for the sense of smell (great bay dogs), and bulldog when it's time to catch a wild hog. A bulldog absolutely hates a hog. :)

cuda
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
I grew up w/ outside dogs but would only have an inside dog now! I am single, have no kids from previous marriages. My dog is my kid!! The company/friendship my Buddy gives me, well, no words can describe!! good luck Buck w/ your search!!

I have three ten year old kids. I hear em calling me for breakfast now. :)

cuda
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Cuda's dogs live under the porch and in one of the old refidgerators in his front yard. Ha ha ha!

Actually in a 12x30 secton of my garage that is separated by an insulated wall. and has a ceiling. I also have a window air, if I thinks it's getting too hot, but it never did last summer.

jryan26
04-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I was in the same situation last summer in looking for a dog for the kids. We really wanted a german shepherd, but let our vet talk us into a rott. The female that I bought is now 8mos old and 90lbs. Very sweet, but protective and sleeps in the hallway by the kids rooms most of the time. Have you thought about a blue heeler? That would be the ideal size dog.

catmando
04-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Buck I have to say you can't go wrong with a pit bull. They are wonderful family dogs, very loyal and loving. Great athletes, high energy but also lap dogs at night, needing to be with their humans.

I have two eight month old puppies now, a brother and sister from the same litter. I love them both and they love me. I take them to the dog park at least twice a week, they get along fine(so far) with other dogs.

There's nothing more wonderful than rescuing a pit bull from a shelter because they are the first breed to be put down. :( :(

Sea-Dated
04-28-2009, 11:16 AM
If it were up to me we would get a German Shepherd.

There is your answer......

TomZ
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
When my 110lb pit bull barked, you might not have known what he was, but you knew he was BIG. OTOH if you still had cojones and got in the house, he would have shown you where all the valuables were and helped you carry them out.

1) Turkish Kangal
2) Caucasian Ovtcharka
3) Rottweiler
4) Cane Corso
5) Dogo Argentino

That's a bear in dog's clothing!! Holy shoot!!!

TomZ
04-28-2009, 11:32 AM
There's nothing more wonderful than rescuing a pit bull from a shelter because they are the first breed to be put down. :( :(

I'll second that!

TZ

TIKI
04-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Lab.

I wouldn't go with a short haired dog if it's going to be outside...they need the longer hair to protect them from the cold, but I wouldn't go with a "long" haired breed because of the maintenance issues...like a golden....they'll come home covered with crap stuck in their fur.

My lab is an inside dog, but dogs have lived outside for thousands of years and have been fine....hell I'll let my dog outside in the rain & can't get her to come back it.

If you're going to take it boating; my lab loves the water! She was swimming in LOTO at 7 weeks. She actually likes the water too much....sometimes she likes to swim off and we have to chase her down.

rainmn
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
You mentioned a Basset Hound in your original post. My sister has one, and it is dumber than dirt. Granted, he's the only one I have any experience with, so take it for what it's worth. BTW - did you know that Basset Hounds can't swim? (At least the majority of them can't.)

I have an English Mastiff (my second one.) They are by far my favorite dogs, but they're not for everyone. I'm not sure how well one would do as an outside dog, since they are so attached to humans.

catastrophe
04-28-2009, 01:04 PM
ok, i know i am about to sound very pc, but i have had dogs all my life. Mostly lab/retrievers. Full blooded to mutts. The best pets have always been lab mix mutts. They have always been loyal, smart and kind natured. So my suggestion to you is load the girls up, and take them down to the animal shelter and pick out a puppy. You won’t be disappointed. Imo

agreed 200%

jmeng
04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
agreed 200%

Probably what I'll do for my next one. Don't know if theres any truth to it but have heard mutts are usually healthier due to all the inbreading in purebread breeds....

C M R
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Boxers got my vote...

The Boxer breed has been ideal for our family as well.

Trix is now 7 and Xavier will be 2 this month.

BTW both pups were also rescue dogs.

JETJOCK
04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
I have had "Marley" for 1.5 years, he is an amazing "best friend" and all around great dog. Kids, Boats, Airplanes, TENNIS BALLS...whatever and he is all about it!

He really likes to go boating, and he even guards my boat when I am gone, he sleeps right beside the boat in the Hangar and really doen't let anyone mess with it unless I am around.

You CANNOT go wrong with a Lab!

Brad
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM
cant go wrong with a golden retriever
I love my golden but the shedding is a pain!

Mark
04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Boxer or Lab

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-28-2009, 03:36 PM
PURE LAB :

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p341128034-3.jpg

cuda
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow, those Jack Russells are like flubber on crank. Don't know if I can keep up with those d@mn things.

I'll take a look at the Rat and Fox though.

Buck

That's a fact! He thinks he's a lot badder than he is. We used to take a JRT hog hunting, and if he could catch a big one, it would have carried him out in the swamp!:eek:

cuda
04-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Damn...where's the saddle?
Hmmm. I've never seen 110 pound pit, but I had a 130# american bulldog.

(Biting my tongue)

cuda
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
If you get a lab, get one from a well known reputable breeder. The original bloodlines made for an excellent all around intelligent dog. The popularity of the lab has lead every Tom, Dick, and Harry to breed and sell them by the truckload. Ive talked to more than one hunter who says the backyard breeders have all but ruined the bloodlines.

BBB is right, if you get a high energy dog, you will absolutly need something to expel that energy on a regular basis otherwise little Rover will make your life hell. I bought a Redbone becase I always wanted one, I was expecting a sleep under the porch all day type of dog. What I got was a hyper active hound that wants to run like Forrest Gump on crank 24/7 with no signs of ever slowing down.

I got Dixie from somebody I knew, and her parents were on site. She is fully papered, as if I was going to breed her. I had her spayed after her first heat. :)

I love my Dixie Dog!

cuda
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Someone mentioned an Aussie cow dog. I have a 3 year old and she is an amazing dog BUT, you need to know that the breed is a very much one person dog. She is my shadow. She will get up and folow me if I take 3 steps. I trip over her 20 times a day. She is way too smart for MY own good. Aussies definately need a ton of activity because they are bred to be very high energy / endurance animals. Just roaming free around the yard will not do it. They crave dog / owner interaction and will do anything to please "Master" but to leave one alone is asking for trouble. They will find ways to entertain themselves in your absence. Usually not "good" ways either.

If you can handle that, they are incredibly loving and loyal dogs, tough as nails for their size and afraid of nothing. My female is 35 lbs of pure muscle. Lightening fast and amazing to watch work other dogs as cattle. She wil heard anything that moves, kids, dogs, cows, birds, it doesn't matter. They tend to have a huge small prey drive so critters, cats and the like need to beware. It takes a firm hand on the leash if a squirrel or chipmunk crosses your path.

It was me, and yes, they are definelty a one person dog. Some of you may remember Russ, aka Fourmala Outlaw. He had one, and he could even pet his Dobie around her.

cuda
04-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Dixie love to boat, without the boat! :)

JupiterSunsation
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Buck I have girls about the same age and my wife is dying to get another dog. We have a lot of the same parameters: 1. minimal hair, 2. good with kids etc. For us it will be another Doberman (last one lived to be 14). Don't have the 5 acres so ours will have to live indoors.
Boxers would be a close 2nd choice but the slobber would make me insane......

cuda
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
OK, I know I am about to sound very PC, but I have had dogs all my life. Mostly Lab/Retrievers. Full blooded to mutts. The best pets have always been lab mix mutts. They have always been loyal, smart and kind natured. So my suggestion to you is load the girls up, and take them down to the animal shelter and pick out a puppy. You won’t be disappointed. IMO

Dixie is my only papered dog of the three, and she has always cougher. The vet said it was going from cool to heat. Other than that, I'm glad I didn't get a chocolate, yellow, or whatever is the color of the month. Big breeders will breed the dogs, looking for the same color.
Dixie didn't have a single spot of white on her. She has a gray beard now (10 years), but so do I!:ack2:

phragle
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
saddle... my friend has a 250 lb mastiff..and it's NOT fat....

cuda
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Taken just a couple minutes ago. No, that's not a seven legged dog in the backround. Bandit has only had three since he was run over at three months. Doesn't bother him at all. He can fun fast outside, but plays that old "I'm missing a leg routine" when I call him in.:)

cuda
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM

There is about a 200# female mastiff on my road (only 4 houses and I know them all),but I saw one down in Astor a few years ago that looked to be about 250.

rainmn
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM

You sure about that?

There's a reason I ask, since I've had them for a while myself.

One - walking a mastiff is like driving a Cig (like I'd know about driving a Cig :( ). EVERY person you come across wants to talk to you about the dog.

Two - EVERY one of those people knows someone who has a 250, 300, or 350 pound Mastiff.

I'm not sure why, but lots of people tend to exaggerate these dog's weights. 250 lbs. is not out of the question for a male, but it's still very much above average. My female is about 180 lbs. at a year old.

rainmn
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Pic of said Mastiff for reference:

MacGyver
04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
lab

From you Tracy :huh:

MacGyver
04-28-2009, 06:49 PM

:iagree::iagree:
Go to your local shelter and adopt yourself a great friend.

Dude! Sweet!
04-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Taken just a couple minutes ago. No, that's not a seven legged dog in the backround. Bandit has only had three since he was run over at three months. Doesn't bother him at all. He can fun fast outside, but plays that old "I'm missing a leg routine" when I call him in.:)

Looks like my lab (all black dogs look alike?!?)... she's been gone over 10 years now and I still miss her. She was an honest 130# dog (fat, of course, but strong too) and she was born on St. Paddy's day. :26:

Oh yah, and my dog's opinion was "woof woof woof". :D

Jammin'
04-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Mutt. I call mine a Basset in Shepard's clothing. He's a rescue dog my son found on Petfiner.com. Best dog I've ever had. 48 lbs of good buddy.

Perlmudder
04-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Looks like my lab (all black dogs look alike?!?)... she's been gone over 10 years now and I still miss her. She was an honest 130# dog (fat, of course, but strong too) and she was born on St. Paddy's day. :26:

sometimes, when i wake up i the morning, my dog looks at the girl next to me and says "ROUUUUGH!"

jryan26
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Labs are great dogs. This is my 12yr old. In his prime he was an amazing quail/pheasant and duck dog. Now he just pulls kids around the pool. The feared and respected jack russell is by far the meanest dog I own.

Revd Up
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I have an 8 month old Austrailian Sheppard. Very smart. Loves kids and other dogs. I've spent lots of time with him since work has been slow. They are high energy and love the outdoors. Here's a couple of pictures of the little terrorist.

BDiggity
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She doesnt bark unless she thinks there is something going down. Good w/ our kids, youngest just turned 5. I take her on two 2.5mi walks a day which wears her out where she sleeps most of day. Has short hair so shedding is very light. Downside is she is a counter surfer like no other.

Bobcat
04-29-2009, 06:59 AM
ex girl friends golden retrievers, I miss those dogs

TIKI
04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She doesnt bark unless she thinks there is something going down. Good w/ our kids, youngest just turned 5. I take her on two 2.5mi walks a day which wears her out where she sleeps most of day. Has short hair so shedding is very light. Downside is she is a counter surfer like no other.

You walk 5 miles a day? You must be as skinny as a string bean!

ZBODaytona
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I like the pound idea... One of my best dogs is our sheppard/chow? mut that my wife brought home. He is a great dog..and so far the only one not to have problems. I loved my lab he was a good boy and lived 12 years, though he shed so much hair. I couldn't figure out how he wasn't bald. My jack russel is awesome...but he isn't like most..he loves to swim, is CALM, and likes to go everywhere with me, did i mention calm. Though i think a lot of it has do with the way dogs are raised. My two great danes are great dogs too..love to play outside, but love to sit on the couch. Though at 140lbs they a big and not for everyone...and mine are small ones. Still bet you could find a nice puppy at the pound and will probably be the best dog ever..but aren't they all..just look at this thread..everyone has the best dog....

DonziGirl
04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
I'd get whatever dog you're thinking of with the consideration that eventually it will be an inside dog. I'd be willing to bet that two girls are going to eventually wear down your wife and the dog will end up an inside dog.

I adopted a stray cat years ago and it was an "outside" cat. It took me a little under a year to turn it into an "inside" cat and my mom HATED cats with a passion.

I also second the rescue/pound/mutt idea. We had a husky/mutt growing up and he was a great dog. I think sometimes people get stuck on the pure breed idea.

Airpacker
04-29-2009, 02:51 PM
There are tons of rescues that cater to specific breeds too. My Aussie came from a rescue center. Her original owners dumped her at a pound because she neeed knee surgery.

Unfortunately, we didn't learn that until after we adopted her but after spending just one week with her, no way was a couple grand gonna seperate her from my family.

Lee
04-29-2009, 08:51 PM
This is "Zeus" our 2nd Akita, our first lived to a ripe old age of 15.
First pic is at 8 weeks, 2nd is at 10 months, they are a smart, loyal, strong and very protective breed.

Tommy Gun
04-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Goldens are awesome...as for the hair; yes they shed as does most any dog. Yes they get dirty and stuff sticks to their fur...but when they dry you just brush'em off. My dogs are in and out of the lake every day when we are there and they are inside dogs. They are smart, easily trained, obedient, loyal, playful and just love to be around people. Here is a shot when the younger one wasn't full grown yet

BY U BOY
04-29-2009, 10:00 PM
I have to agree with both. I have a chocolate lab. He just turned 6 this month. Great dog, great with kids, not mine, friends kids, I don't have any.

As far as not letting it inside, hell mine sleeps in bed. He's one of the family.

Same here. I have always had labs and will only have labs. She is 2 now and is great with my friends kids. Also one of the family:)

BY U BOY
04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
:sifone:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p888916069-3.jpg

My Lab Rocky loves his older sister, but she only want to play on her terms...:sifone:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p378987200-3.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p516512683-3.jpg

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I just had to add this link:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1038293870729&comments=
:rofl:

Bobcat
04-29-2009, 11:27 PM
This is "Zeus" our 2nd Akita, our first lived to a ripe old age of 15.
First pic is at 8 weeks, 2nd is at 10 months, they are a smart, loyal, strong and very protective breed.

I have a nice scar on my nose from an akita,(not the dogs fault) was rough housing and a another friend came around the corner in the dark yelling frightened the dog and it bit me through the nose !:sifone:
:sifone:got sympathy p u s s y that night

cuda
04-30-2009, 12:05 PM

Dixie was as fat as a barnyard possum after I had her spayed. I have to feed her less than the bulldogs. I had a freind staying here feed my dogs for me for a couple days. He called me and said Dixie wouldn't eat. All of the dogs would push food from their bowls.When I got home, first thing I did was check on my dogs. Dixie could barely waddle out the door. He'd been using the wrong scoop. He'd been giving them a gallon of feed twice a day! I bet Bandit was guarding all of it he could, growling at the other two! :)

cuda
04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Spot is the only one that talks to me when I'm feeding them. I explain everyday that I'm going to do what I have done for the past ten years with the food. :)

That's why I use this avatar. That's how Spot will check out the fridge if he's in the house.

cuda
04-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Dixie was as fat as a barnyard possum after I had her spayed. I have to feed her less than the bulldogs. I had a freind staying here feed my dogs for me for a couple days. He called me and said Dixie wouldn't eat. All of the dogs would push food from their bowls.When I got home, first thing I did was check on my dogs. Dixie could barely waddle out the door. He'd been using the wrong scoop. He'd been giving them a gallon of feed twice a day! I bet Bandit was guarding all of it he could, growling at the other two! :)

He was a good boy this morning. His reward is to be the house dog, until I go back outside. :)

cuda
04-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Labs are great dogs. This is my 12yr old. In his prime he was an amazing quail/pheasant and duck dog. Now he just pulls kids around the pool. The feared and respected jack russell is by far the meanest dog I own.

I used my lab for quail, ducks, and dove in Florida.

I hunted pheasant with my lab in Oregon. Great natured dogs, and easily trained, even when old.

cuda
04-30-2009, 01:11 PM
The feared and respected jack russell is by far the meanest dog I own.
I see your JRT, and raise you one three legged sh!t eater.:26: