PDA

View Full Version : AVG virus software

DonziGirl
04-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Anyone else using the new free AVG virus software? I think it's version 8.5. AFter I installed it, my fan in my laptop kicks on randomly and won't go off. It never did this before I upgraded my AVG. I turned off the daily scans but it's still doing it.

Anyone else having any problems with the software? If not, then maybe it's something else on my laptop. I haven't installed anything else so I'm not sure what it would be. My CPU useage is low and I have plenty of available memory. Any ideas?

Ratickle
04-25-2009, 03:56 PM
All I can say is, that's weird.

I use Avast in two of them and Norton in the other. I would probably remove it and see if it goes away. The only reason the fan should run is if it's warm and needs the cooling. If the AVG running in the background causes that much additional heat, I'd try something else. It just seems to me it shouldn't make that much difference.

DonziGirl
04-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I know. The laptop is a little warm but no warmer than usual. The only reason I'm thinking it's AVG is because it just started after I upgraded to their new version.

Ratickle
04-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Do you have it sitting on your lap, as in laptop? Maybe it's getting excited cause there was a male version of the new AVG.....:)

DonziGirl
04-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Nope - it's on my desk. No go on the getting excited :D

04-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I run it and it definitely takes up a fair amount of Hard drive effort. It slowed everything down just a tick.

cigdaze
04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
The only thing I don't like about AVG is that it's a resource hog. It's probably doing a computer-wide scan in the background and all that processing is making heat, thus the increase in fan usage.

glassdave
04-26-2009, 09:37 AM
my laptop does about the same thing. Yes AVG sucks up the resources. Make sure you have as much memory in as your pc can handle.

MacGyver
04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Try Avast. Its free and isn't a resource hog.

http://www.avast.com/

HiZ
04-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Heating up your processor and making everything go Booooooooo
Next time it does that and the fan is on because it is too hot, Dump a glass of cold water on it. That should fix almost all of your problems

ImaPoser
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I had issues with the wife's computer after uploading it as well. Bogged it down too much to be able to use it. I guess it's over the limit on memory available now. I **** canned it off of all the computers I use. It's grown too big for it's own good.

DonziGirl
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Try Avast. Its free and isn't a resource hog.

http://www.avast.com/

I'll give it a whirl.

thanks guys.

jmeng
04-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Slowed my desktop way down when I installed it. Will try switching to avast.