PDA

View Full Version : Alex Lifeson

04-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I am a die hard fan. With threads about Zepplin, metallica and such. I wanted to bring up who I believe to be the best guitarist of all.

I have done a small C&P of a recent article for some great quotes. I know many of you already know most of this but I just wanted to pay tribute to a guy I have admired for over 30 years.

From Premeierguitar.com;

"Walk softly and carry a big F-sharp suspended. If legendary Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson had a mantra, that might be it. That chord (technically an F#7sus4) is known to his legion of fans as “The Alex Chord,” or “The Hemispheres Chord,” as it is the opening chord to Rush’s 1978 prog-rock opus Hemispheres. It can also be heard ringing out on “Far Cry,” the opening cut on Rush’s nineteenth studio album, 2007’s Snakes and Arrows.

That a single chord can be associated so strongly with one guitar player is testament to Lifeson’s influence on the medium. He is a guitar player’s guitar player. Where Steve Vai may make us say “I wish I could do that,” Alex Lifeson makes us say, “I wish I’d thought of that.”

Snakes and Arrows was Rush’s 27th album to appear in the Billboard Top 200, and it turned into a long, good ride for the band. The album was followed by a marathon tour spanning two years and two continents, a double live album, and the November 2008 release of the three-disc DVD/Blu-Ray, Snakes and Arrows Live, in which Rush puts on a clinic on how to play a rock concert.

As a musician, Alex Lifeson has occasionally been overlooked, in part because he is a guitar player dedicated to serving the song instead of stepping on it. As most guitarists know, that kind of restraint is no easy feat. Of course, serving a Rush song can be like serving a 12-course meal. As the sole guitarist and one third of the world’s most complicated rock band, Alex has served well. About to release their twelfth compilation CD, Retrospective 3, I spoke with Alex Lifeson, and we talked about (what else?) guitars and his notable return to an all-Gibson lineup.

the rest of the article; http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Apr/Interview_Alex_Lifeson.aspx

04-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Oh yeah, If you have a BluRay player, get Snakes & Arrows on BluRay. The picture and sound quality are unreal.

To see them pound out 30+ year old songs with no mistakes is unblievable. I remember the rumors in the early 80's that Geddy's voice was toast and he had throat Cancer. Well, in 2008 in Holland, he sure managed to belt them out one after another. :sifone:

The new material is fantastic too. :26:

cigdaze
04-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Rush. Best. Rock Band. Ever.
:cool:

OldSchool
04-24-2009, 09:27 AM

They've always been my favorite band!!!:seeya::sifone:

Ratickle
04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Eric Clapton is the best I think.:)

Eric Clapton says Roy Clark is the best ever.....:ack2: (He is good though, ever listen to him carry on a conversation with his guitar?)

pullmytrigger
04-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Wow......you guys are right into them.

and they played my high school.

until OSO and here I had no idea they had such a following outside the Toronto area.....

cigdaze
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM

until OSO and here I had no idea they had such a following outside the Toronto area.....

Rush is everywhere! :)
I've seen their last 3 tours, and they're always sold out. They have a following everywhere, I'd suspect.

Airpacker
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM
The R30 tour was amazing. The snakes and arrows tour blew it away.

And people wonder why I have every single Rush album,....er disc in my cd case :)

If you haven't already, I highly suggest reading Neil's last three books. Great insight into the life of the band.

OldSchool
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
I've seen them over a dozen times since 1979 and have most of their stuff on vinyl and cd's. I've got to get the blu-ray concert now!!!!

Admin
04-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I saw them in '75 as the support band for Kiss. Neil had just replaced Rutsey. Killer show but terrible placement for Rush- Kiss was getting huge at the time. They had just released their double-live album. Rush was a bit too intellectual for the crowd. But closing with Working Man- Kiss took a long space between shows to let the crowd cool off.

Knot 4 Me
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I saw them in '75 as the support band for Kiss. Neil had just replaced Rutsey. Killer show but terrible placement for Rush- Kiss was getting huge at the time. They had just released their double-live album. Rush was a bit too intellectual for the crowd. But closing with Working Man- Kiss took a long space between shows to let the crowd cool off.
Rutsey (RIP) never toured with them. His diabetes prohibited it. Peart toured with the band from day one starting in the summer of '74.

I've seen them numerous times...most recently in Chicago in Sept. '07 and Moline in May '08. Alex has always been underapprciated as a guitarist.

The new DVD is great (S & A). Songs like "Secret Touch" and "One Little Victory" just jump off the screen and out of the speakers.

redhotsommer
04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
In terms of the most underappreciated band in the history of rock as far as mainstream radio goes...the answer has GOT to be Rush. I've been a fan since high school...my cousin introduced me to them right when Presto came out (still my favorite of their albums), but I immediately bought their entire backlog...got them on tape still! I've never seen them, and haven't really gotten much of their newer stuff, but I can still say I totally agree that they are one of the best bands to wield intruments of rock (like By-tor and the SnoDog). How can anyone that's a runner NOT love a band that does the song "Marathon?"

Now you've got me...I've still got a tape deck in my truck, I'm going to get Presto right now to listen to on my way to the harbor! It's 80 degrees in Chicago today and I'm meeting Magic Medicine for the first run of the year!!!! See yas.

Knot 4 Me
04-24-2009, 11:54 AM
In terms of the most underappreciated band in the history of rock as far as mainstream radio goes...the answer has GOT to be Rush. I've been a fan since high school...my cousin introduced me to them right when Presto came out (still my favorite of their albums), but I immediately bought their entire backlog...got them on tape still! I've never seen them, and haven't really gotten much of their newer stuff, but I can still say I totally agree that they are one of the best bands to wield intruments of rock (like By-tor and the SnoDog). How can anyone that's a runner NOT love a band that does the song "Marathon?"

Now you've got me...I've still got a tape deck in my truck, I'm going to get Presto right now to listen to on my way to the harbor! It's 80 degrees in Chicago today and I'm meeting Magic Medicine for the first run of the year!!!! See yas.Crank up "Show Don't Tell"!!!!

Buoy
04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Love Rush.
How they have not yet been at least nominated for R&R hall of fame is beyond me. They've been around for 35 yrs, and still going strong.
I've always said Alex is the most under-rated guitar player out there, easy to have happen playing amongst greats like Geddy and Neil.
3 weeks ago I picked up their first two discs for the 3rd time (Had them on vinyl, then bought cassette, and now replacing again with CD).
I had almost forgotten how great some of those songs are.

bret
04-24-2009, 12:00 PM
1st saw them in '76. They were backup to Black Oak Arkansaw. Following year they headlined and AC/DC was there backup. Saw them numerous times in the last twenty years but the best was Snakes and Arrows last year because it was my kids first concert.
My youngest boy asked if we would be able to hesr them because our seats were first row balcony. I just handed him the ear plugs I brought at the insistance of my wife.

04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
For the Presto tour, I saw them here in Seattle, then a couple weeks later, Drove all day and night to see them again in Costa Mesa California, Then drove all day and night to be back in Seattle for Final exams Monday Morning at the University of Washington.

But I was 25 years old then. :sifone:

For those who don't have one, Get an inexpensive Bluray Player and their BluRay disc. It is unfreakingbelievable how crystal clear the video and sound is.

I Have seen every tour but Signals since 1980 and I have never been able to see just how much is really going on up on stage until this disc.

Airpacker
04-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Hey Dougy, did you ever get the chance to see em at the Kee?

For the rest of you, the Kee to Bala.( http://www.thekee.com/ ).the Kee as its known is on old dance hall on one of our mega buck cottage lakes. It 100 odd years old and has hosted some of the biggest names in Canadian music since before anyone outside of Ontario ever heard of them. In the 20's, 30'2, 40's and 50's it was the summer home of Big Band music and 100,s of cottagers would just float in the bay out front and listen to the music because children were not allowed inside.

The all wood interior makes for amazing acoustics and when the place starts rockin, you can actually feel the floors flex under the weight of the crowds.
A true piece of cottaging / boating history and one of the very few that never burned to the ground.

Perlmudder
04-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I really like rush, they are just that go to band. Cool that people outside of Ontario really like them also. They deserve it!

Went a New Years party one time and there was a kid named Eric Lefson, I started calling him Alex Lifeson and he got so angry. Then a swung from a china cabinet and got kicked out... Oh the highschool days!

Indy
04-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I am a die hard fan. With threads about Zepplin, metallica and such. I wanted to bring up who I believe to be the best guitarist of all.

Maybe you should substitute "best" for favorite. Best is relative...best at what? He's certainly the best guitarist for Rush, but I think he would suck in the Allman Brothers Band. Steve Howe is (was) fantastic, but he would have driven Pink Floyd into the ground if he played for them. It's like Steve Morse playing with Deep Purple...umm...no...sorry...DP is (was) great, and Morse is top notch but it doesn't work. Eric Clapton playing for Return To Forever...umm sorry Charlie.

I've never been able to buy into the "best" guitarist thingy because each is great at what they do, not at what others do...and they all fit uniquely into their own bands. That's what makes a band great, it's how the individuals interact and create with each other that makes a band/drummer, guitarist, et al great and able to stand the test of time.

That being said Lifeson's a cool guitarist and I enjoy his work.

04-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Um, I thought I qualified it by saying "I" think he is the best. All of your comments are very true but I am perplexed as to why you might have felt I was making a statement of fact rather than opinion. :confused:

Dude! Sweet!
04-25-2009, 01:23 AM
I saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens in around 1990... I also listened to Rush on the way home from work tonight (ask Tim, I texted him a photo of the display in my truck when "Working Man" came on.

I prefer the first album most. I like the rest, but they can get a little "dungeons and dragons" with the lyrics sometimes (same for Maiden). I would make a joke about how "stupid the lyrics are with the trees talking to each other and all, eh... not like Helix, that show rocked like a MF, eh..." but that reference could be missed and would probably be considered incediary... :D

Offshoredrillin
04-25-2009, 06:15 AM
I saw them both nights at the old Capital Centre on the moving pictures tour. two of the best concerts I ever saw.

Buoy
04-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens in around 1990... I also listened to Rush on the way home from work tonight (ask Tim, I texted him a photo of the display in my truck when "Working Man" came on.

I prefer the first album most. I like the rest, but they can get a little "dungeons and dragons" with the lyrics sometimes (same for Maiden). I would make a joke about how "stupid the lyrics are with the trees talking to each other and all, eh... not like Helix, that show rocked like a MF, eh..." but that reference could be missed and would probably be considered incediary... :D

I got your text last night while I was waiting for them to bring out dinner.

I've been listening to the Fly by Night album for the past few weeks.
Making Memories, and In the End are two of the best songs on that record.

txriverrat2001
04-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Ditto ....

04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Dude and Buoy;

Have you heard the new album Snakes and Arrows? It is fantastic!

Here is my offer to anyone on this site. You buy Snakes and Arrows and listen to it 3 times. If you do not think it is fantastic, I will buy it from you (as long as it is not scuffed up). :sifone:

I already have a copy in every vehicle and home source unit but what the heck I will pass them out to my friends and family if I find any takers.:leaving:

You can get them here; www.rush.com or at amazon.

Buoy
04-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Dude and Buoy;

Here is my offer to anyone on this site. You buy Snakes and Arrows and listen to it 3 times. If you do not think it is fantastic, I will buy it from you (as long as it is not scuffed up). :sifone:

I already have a copy in every vehicle and home source unit but what the heck I will pass them out to my friends and family if I find any takers.:leaving:

OK, you've just thrown down the gauntlet.
And, no, I've haven't heard S&A, I know a lot of people have given it very high marks. It's been on my list, but I've been going through a period trying to get back some of the music I used to have that I love, or stuff that I've forgotten existed that I used to love.
Last time I saw Rush was on the Roll the Bones tour, saw them at the Palace in Auburn Hills (Detroit). Had nosebleed seats, but it was still a great show.
Sheesh, that was almost 20 yrs. ago.

Airpacker
04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
been listening to the S and A live cd in my truck the last couple days. Dam its good. Great mix of old and new tunes.Three very talented musicians.

What has always struck me about Rush is how their music can seem like three different solos going on simultaneously and yet blendig together at he same time.

fund razor
04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Saw the grace under pressure tour in 1984-5. Unbelievably great. For much of my drumming life, Neil has been a heavy influence. Even had to go through a double kick Tama phase. :D Rush is one of the few "old" bands that I would still see.

04-27-2009, 01:01 AM
OK, you've just thrown down the gauntlet.
And, no, I've haven't heard S&A, I know a lot of people have given it very high marks. It's been on my list, but I've been going through a period trying to get back some of the music I used to have that I love, or stuff that I've forgotten existed that I used to love.
Last time I saw Rush was on the Roll the Bones tour, saw them at the Palace in Auburn Hills (Detroit). Had nosebleed seats, but it was still a great show.
Sheesh, that was almost 20 yrs. ago.

Offer stands! And after the studio album, you need the live album Air packer mentioned. :sifone:

You won't be sorry. :)

04-27-2009, 01:03 AM
been listening to the S and A live cd in my truck the last couple days. Dam its good. Great mix of old and new tunes.Three very talented musicians.

What has always struck me about Rush is how their music can seem like three different solos going on simultaneously and yet blendig together at he same time.

Have you seen the BluRay of that concert? Incredible.

My wife mentions every time how they sound like a much larger (# of members) band.

Fund, The offer stands for you too!

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Ok, I'll bite, if you confirm that you already own Music At Work...

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Because frankly I think (as much as I like Rush) the Tragically Hip wears their asses around like a hat! :D

04-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Ok, I'll bite, if you confirm that you already own Music At Work...

:confused::confused: not sure what you mean. Do I play it at work?

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 01:58 AM
Tragically Hip album called Music at Work. The title track and the tune Wild Mountain Honey (which has nothing to do with the Steve Miller song of the same name) both smoke. 2112, if you like Cantard music (I'm just teasing) like Rush, you'll love the Tragially Hip. If you're "uninitiated... I'd start with either Up to Here or Road Apples... Here's a little taste...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJRA-mU33z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxo_RBrJUGg

Sorry Rush, but the Hip are my all time 100%, mortal lock favorite band...

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Hey 2112! I just realized you were a west coast guy too... I always assumed you were from "Toranna" (as Don Cherry says). Nice to know we got some good guys out here too!

Airpacker
04-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Road Apples is the best Hip disc IMHO.

Have you lefty coast guys ever heard Max Webster? Now thats some Canadian Icon status music. Their Universal Jueveniles album even has a joint venture Webster / Rush tune on it. Battlescar.

Check em out here http://www.maxwebster.ca/

Use this page for some samlples. Click the title under the album covers.
http://www.maxwebster.ca/MW_sounds.shtml

cigdaze
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Dude and Buoy;

It's certainly one their best works yet. It may not be as 'mainstream' as some of their other albums, but in my opinion it's technically brilliant, and is musical genius.

Airpacker
04-27-2009, 10:41 AM
I prefer the first album most. I like the rest, but they can get a little "dungeons and dragons" with the lyrics sometimes (same for Maiden). I would make a joke about how "stupid the lyrics are with the trees talking to each other and all, eh...

The lyrics are a parallel to life, a social commentary if you will. Not about trees actually talking to each other. You know, the rich and the poor, the haves and the have nots.

fund razor
04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
The lyrics are a parallel to life, a social commentary if you will. Not about trees actually talking to each other. You know, the rich and the poor, the haves and the have nots.

Agree, and how ridiculous that it is to try to legislate "fairness" for all by simply cutting everyone off at the same level. Equality by "hatchet, axe and saw."

btw... caught that offer 2112, thanks. :)

04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
It's certainly one their best works yet. It may not be as 'mainstream' as some of their other albums, but in my opinion it's technically brilliant, and is musical genius.

I need some of you guys as next door neighbors :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 03:22 PM

It's a quote from the "Kidnapped Alex Lifeson" episode of Trailer Park Boys. I get what the actual song is about... But Ricky didn't. ha ha ha.

Buoy
04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
It's a quote from the "Kidnapped Alex Lifeson" episode of Trailer Park Boys. I get what the actual song is about... But Ricky didn't. ha ha ha.

You were counting on me to catch that one...
And I let you down.:leaving:

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
No problemo bud! :D

I've got new Van's and I feel like a million ducks!

Buoy
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Did you go with the Maiden ones:)

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 03:34 PM
I seriously thought about it (and the Slayer ones) but went with all black (even the sides of the sole) slip ons...

"What you doin' to the bus Walt?!" "I'm makin' it look MEAN!!!"

ar15meister
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
you guys are wacked. Rush??

that trailer park boys episode is one of the best.......I love the scene when ricky kidnaps lifeson and carries him out of the hotel and says he is drunk and a male prostitute. Priceless. Also when bubbles sings at ACC it is awesome.

Buoy
04-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Aha, and ar15 is joining in...

Sorry for the Hi-jack 2112.
I will pick-up S&A this week, need to go to mall to get a B-day gift for my daughter, otherwise I would not set foot in a mall...
Oh yeah, that job I'm waiting on a call from is in a mall...

04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Aha, and ar15 is joining in...

Sorry for the Hi-jack 2112.
I will pick-up S&A this week, need to go to mall to get a B-day gift for my daughter, otherwise I would not set foot in a mall...
Oh yeah, that job I'm waiting on a call from is in a mall...

Right on Brother and good luck! :)

cigdaze
04-27-2009, 06:13 PM
I need some of you guys as next door neighbors :sifone:

Imagine the block parties we could have. I sit in the garage most nights jammin music sippin on cocktails. :D

Buoy
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Imagine the block parties we could have. I sit in the garage most nights jammin music sippin on cocktails. :D

Think about how cool that would be to have this group, with all these awesome boats all hangin out listening to music and drinking beers while wrenching on the boats.
Oh, not to mention the sense of humor amongst the group...

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
And then consider that all my actual neigbors are total asshats! :D

04-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Sh!t, Mine too. They are against everything I do. :(

04-27-2009, 07:51 PM

No analogous story with "The bigger bowl" On Snakes and Arrows. Great lyrics, better music. :26:

Buoy
04-27-2009, 08:20 PM

So far, my neighbors around here have been OK.
That will probably change when I get to firing up the boat at 10:00pm with the dry exhaust... I didn't see anything in the HOA about that, I'm just going to assume it's frowned upon.
I'm sure you will all miss my updates of "Darryl", my old neighbor in Kentucky...

Dude! Sweet!
04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
My neigbors don't bust my balls, which is nice, it's just that they were brought here on a different spaceship than the one that brought us... They range from boring and innane to far too "interesting"... Just makes me wish I had a couple of neigbors that I could drink a beer with.

My in-laws neigborhood has a 32 Schiada owner (great dude) and a 36 Skater owner...

Airpacker
04-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Hmm, my neighbours love me :) I sit in the boat working on it, tunes cranked. I run the motor on the hose, I run sleds in the yard. Yep, they love me ;)

Airpacker
04-28-2009, 09:02 AM

Dude, when you start memorizing TPB episodes, I think you need some professional help :)

Dude! Sweet!
04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I saw an ad for the FuelTV show called "Thrillbillies" and thought it would be rad... My wife said "I'm really starting to worry about you"... :D

I just saw that episode last week and I have a good memory when it comes to nonsense.

A bar tender is a "professional" right?

Tom A.
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Rush is one of if not my favorite bands! I have every album, video and been to countless shows. Neil and Geddy always have gotten credited for being one of if not the best in their classes and I always felt that Alex never got his due props. He is amazing and to watch them live and see them each playing multiple instruments at the same time is off the hook. I never pull away from the dock without a few Rush CD's in my travel case.

04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Rush is one of if not my favorite bands! I have every album, video and been to countless shows. Neil and Geddy always have gotten credited for being one of if not the best in their classes and I always felt that Alex never got his due props. He is amazing and to watch them live and see them each playing multiple instruments at the same time is off the hook. I never pull away from the dock without a few Rush CD's in my travel case.

We have a real trend going on here. :) Coincidence? I think not. :sifone:

Now run out and get the new Bluray disc for home!

cigdaze
04-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Friggin' brilliant.

How it happened:

HLMatYO745s

The Result:
rTtLsjVdD7Y

That's the sht, right there!

Airpacker
04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
We have a real trend going on here. :) Coincidence? I think not. :sifone:

You guys just got lucky in that we Torontonians descided to let you hear one of our home town bands . :)

Being from TO, we get really lucky once inawhile. Geddy or Alex or both will stop in the local rock radio station and jam with the afternoon drive time DJ Kim Mitchell. The same Kim Mitchell from Max Webster and the Kim Mitchell band. Max used to open for Rush often on Canadian tours. Those were great double header shows I tell ya.

I was just listening to Kim comment on the "sweeter side of Rush music" after playing Time stands still and how many Rush fans hated that song when it came out in 87. He was laughing at how they missed the complete musical complication that that particular song is and how they just didn't get it.

04-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Friggin' brilliant.

Vastly understated.

Buoy
04-28-2009, 04:02 PM
OK, I picked up Snakes & Arrows today.
Give me about a week to wrap my head around it.

04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Great!

If you have OCD like me, you will prefer to hear the songs in the exact order they are on the disc. Do not hit "random"! :ack2:

For example, Faithless comes perfectly after Hope. :)

Buoy
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Great!

If you have OCD like me, you will prefer to hear the songs in the exact order they are on the disc. Do not hit "random"! :ack2:

For example, Faithless comes perfectly after Hope. :)

OK, I must be OCD.
I never understood the "random" button at all.
I think having a record "flow" from one song to another is part of the art.
Same thing with when playing live, a set list that takes the audience through a well planned "experience" is very important.

I recall a local-to-me-at-the-time-band, in the early '90s that always opened their set with Nugent's "Stranglehold"
Now, it's a good song, but I could never understand why they opened with such a long, drawn out song. My thought was to have something loud, fast, and short as an opening song in a club. Try to get people fired up.

A record should be the same way - pump me up, and get me excited about what else is going to be on the disc.

Tom A.
04-28-2009, 07:36 PM
It is funny how it always takes me a few listenings of a new album for me to warm up to it. The way RUSH evolves their music it takes me a while to really love a new album and then all of the sudden down the road I "rediscover it" usually right before the next new album comes out and I say "Oh my god, that is brilliant!"
My mood determines what era I listen to. I usually lean more to the 80's era just because it was around 1983/4 when I first "discovered" them. I was 11/12 ish.

Buoy
04-28-2009, 07:48 PM
It is funny how it always takes me a few listenings of a new album for me to warm up to it. The way RUSH evolves their music it takes me a while to really love a new album and then all of the sudden down the road I "rediscover it" usually right before the next new album comes out and I say "Oh my god, that is brilliant!"
My mood determines what era I listen to. I usually lean more to the 80's era just because it was around 1983/4 when I first "discovered" them. I was 11/12 ish.

Same story for me.

04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Same story for me.

+2 and I have heard that alot from Rush fans over the last 30+ years I have been a fan.

The album that took me the longest to warm up to is Signals. Now, If I were going to die in 44 minutes, I would spend it listening to that album.

My wife understands it wil be my last dying wish. Hopefully a while till I make it.:sifone:

cigdaze
04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Same here, guys. That's great, I thought I was the only one. First time I listened to it was in the truck on the way home. I thought, eh, whatever...then I heard I listened to the whole album about 3 times through while having a few drinks and putzin' in the garage. By then I was hooked, and rewinding songs and totally jammin.

Good sht! :cool:

04-29-2009, 01:54 AM
Just listened to another Gem (start to finish) on my way home from a seminar in Seattle tonight.

Test for Echo. I had forgotten how much I dug that album :cool:

Airpacker
04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Just listened to another Gem (start to finish) on my way home from a seminar in Seattle tonight.

Test for Echo. I had forgotten how much I dug that album :cool:

LOL, I had that one playing in the shop yesterday aftyernoon. I actually let it play thru twice before swapping in Vapour Trails. :)

cigdaze
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
LOL, I had that one playing in the shop yesterday aftyernoon. I actually let it play thru twice before swapping in Vapour Trails. :)

Vapor...friggin' Canadians. :p

:26:

Knot 4 Me
04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Though Vapor Trails has a few of my favorite Rush songs on it (One Little Victory, Earthshine, Secret Touch), the production and final mix of the album ranks among my least favorite. Those 3 songs come across so much better on the R30 (Earthshine) and S&A (Secret Touch, One Little Victory) DVD's.

The song "Dreamline" is blasting in my headphones at the moment!

Buoy
04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
OK, I have listened S&A through for the first time.
Rarely does a song jump out at me on the first listen.
"Faithless" is brilliant - I had to listen to it a second time before going any further with the record. Even had to pull out the liner to read the lyrics to make sure I got it all.
Very powerful song.

04-29-2009, 09:50 PM
OK, I have listened S&A through for the first time.
Rarely does a song jump out at me on the first listen.
"Faithless" is brilliant - I had to listen to it a second time before going any further with the record. Even had to pull out the liner to read the lyrics to make sure I got it all.
Very powerful song.

Just wait, The whole album is loaded. The "Main Monkey Business" "The Larger Bowl" etc.

Now remember "Hope" is the perfect intro to "Faithless". :)

04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Though Vapor Trails has a few of my favorite Rush songs on it (One Little Victory, Earthshine, Secret Touch), the production and final mix of the album ranks among my least favorite.

True. The Engineers F'd it up in the final mastering. If you were to go out and say spend a small fortune on an American made stereo just so you could listen to Rush at concert levels, It would really bum you out.:leaving:

I read Geddy went back into the studio to try and remix Vapor Trails and they just could not fix it.

As I have learned more about high end stereo, I have come to find that it is an industry problem. The engineers are trying to max out the sound for crappy source units such as an IPOD or downloaded FLAC files and it is totally ruining the quality sound for people with quality sound reproduction.:(

BTW, Another GEM; My Favorite Headache, Geddy's solo album from 2000

Knot 4 Me
04-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Just wait, The whole album is loaded. The "Main Monkey Business" "The Larger Bowl" etc.

Now remember "Hope" is the perfect intro to "Faithless". :)
.I love instrumentals such as "Hope" that without words, convey perfectly the emotional message of the song...and in this case the title as well.

Have you noticed how many Rush songs, that when they come back from the solo to the next verse, elicit a big fist pump and cheer from the crowd in concert? Think "Free Will", "Red Barchetta", and most recently "Armor And Sword".

cigdaze
04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Just listened to The Larger Bowl like 10 times...what an awesome song that is.

Buoy
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I just got back from running around for an hour, and must have listened to Malignant Narcissism at least four times.
Somebody will HAVE to use that for a Poker Run video.
That is all I can picture as I listen to that song.

04-30-2009, 01:26 PM
just listened to the larger bowl like 10 times...what an awesome song that is.

+1 !

04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I just got back from running around for an hour, and must have listened to Malignant Narcissism at least four times.
Somebody will HAVE to use that for a Poker Run video.
That is all I can picture as I listen to that song.

Sounds like you're getting hooked! :sifone:

BTW, I totally agree

05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Friggin' brilliant.

How it happened:

HLMatYO745s

The Result:
rTtLsjVdD7Y

How do you get the youtube link to play directly in the post like that?