PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of a timeshare????

Ted
04-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Anyone know how? My wife "inherited" 3 from her father and we can't figure out how to get rid of them. The place where they are won't just take them back and you can't seem to sell these things for s#!t :ack2: She did find some company that would "get us out of them" for about 5 grand WTF???? So, how do I do it? I would really not like to pay 200 bucks a month just to keep these things for the rest of my life :(

Chris
04-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Unless they're premium dates at premium properties, that's about it. I remember looking a few years ago and there were plenty you could have for next to nothing- or nothing, to get the owner out of the maintenance fee.

catmando
04-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I've been down this road. There are infomercials that say they'll sell your timeshare but I've never heard of anyone who has had success with them. We have two and we're stuck with them. :mad: :mad:

ImaPoser
04-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Good luck. I would think there could have been some way to refuse accepting them, but if they are in her name now, you're stuck trying to get rid of them.
You may be able to donate them and get a tax write off.

timeshare forum (http://www.tug2.net/)

mosi
04-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Ebay always has a chitload listed.

We usually rent them from people for the Maintainance fees....or less!!!!

Most of the larger ones can be exchanged for 2 weeks in a smaller unit. Turns out to be a pretty good deal.

jeff1000man
04-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Member of our club. One of the biggest timeshare resalers out there. Contact is Wayne, he is the owner. If he can't tell you how t get rid of them, no one can.

http://www.stroman.com/

Ratickle
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
If there's that many owned by the group, maybe we should have a rent timeshare thread.

Big Time
04-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd say keep them and rent them out during your week....you'll most likely make your money back and then some...just another option.

sledge
04-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Did she actually sign transfer of title or whatever ownership proof they use? If not, you can't force responsibility to pass through the will.

Otherwise you have to force the management company to take them back and of course they won't do that willingly.

Ted
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the responses, at least I have a few more ideas. She has not transferred them, but all the contracts have "heirs and assignees" clauses which apparently means they can come after us for non-payment of maint. fees, etc. The places are all decent (Pompano, Atlantic City, Alexandria VA) but the whole points through RCI and all that crap has the dates not really set so the time and location is less important. I may try and give Wayne a call, I don't care if he makes some green, I just don't want to pay one of these places to take them. (Although I'm thinking there could be some good cash made if you could start a company like that).

nifoxke
04-24-2009, 01:34 PM
We're seeing this a lot at the resort I work for. A lot of people can't pay the maintenance fees anymore and want to voluntarily assign the units back to their cooperative. But their Board of Directors is requiring them to list their weeks for sale for at least a year before they'll take anything back.

Von Bongo
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
She has not transferred them, but all the contracts have "heirs and assignees" clauses which apparently means they can come after us for non-payment of maint. fees, etc. ).

Bull****.

If you didn't sign anything there is no way they can assign a contract or debt to the heirs. Can't be legal. Let them make a claim through the estate. Most likely they just go back to the mgmt company. Consult an estate attorney.

sledge
04-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Just brainfarting a little on a Friday afternoon...

If you decide to hold on to them, perhaps you could auction off the weeks each year, donate the proceeds and write off some or all of the costs.

My parents own a couple weeks in Hollywood and use RCI also. Hardly ever use the actual owned weeks and even when exchanged for just a long weekend, sometimes it's not a bad deal.

Expensive Date
04-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I rented someones down in Florida last year.I was cheap so if you can't get rid of them there has to be a way to rent it out to at least break even.But as others have said i don't believe the can force you to take it and the will not spend the money to go after the estate.

Offshoredrillin
04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Bull****.

If you didn't sign anything there is no way they can assign a contract or debt to the heirs. Can't be legal. Let them make a claim through the estate. Most likely they just go back to the mgmt company. Consult an estate attorney.
I agree. Ted don't let them try to stick you with it. then that would be set up hypothetically that if he had a credit card debt Dianne is liable. would never hold up