PDA

View Full Version : Medical question about my bad hip

Magicfloat
04-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Some of you may remember my bad car wreck in 2003,my hip was shattered into about 12 pieces,I have a steel plate screwing it together,I am not a canidate for a hip replacement. Really no big deal except for a limp. I started out with Vioxx to control the minor pain,when it was banned,I went to Celebrex. Has worked fine for years,but doesn't seem to be as effective now. Have heard that there are new prescription drugs that are better than Celebrex,maybe expensive but better. Any thoughts?

JupiterSunsation
04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Why would you ask these guys?

They may know more about recreational drugs, strippers and bad investments (boats) but medical info, not so sure about that one.......

Magicfloat
04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
:)

cuda
04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
:)

hydrocodein is what they gave me for pain at the hospital last week.

Wrinkleface
04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Some of you may remember my bad car wreck in 2003,my hip was shattered into about 12 pieces,I have a steel plate screwing it together,I am not a canidate for a hip replacement. Really no big deal except for a limp. I started out with Vioxx to control the minor pain,when it was banned,I went to Celebrex. Has worked fine for years,but doesn't seem to be as effective now. Have heard that there are new prescription drugs that are better than Celebrex,maybe expensive but better. Any thoughts?

maybe Reddog 382 can chime in!! Dude,where R ya!!!??? help this man out!!

Chris
04-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Been there. When I had to have my poorly-done back repairs redone, I went from Percocet to Vioxx to Duragesic (fentanyl patch) to Oxy. And damn near to rehab. But I healed up pretty well and haven't had anything since.

Have you gotten a 2nd on why you're experiencing chronic pain? I went through the exercise every couple of years until I found a surgeon who flat out said the first doctor was a butcher and fixed his mistakes. I wish I'd found this guy 20 years ago.

Dominic
04-23-2009, 11:00 PM
id like to answer you, are you willing to give me 2 more years of schooling?? then if you didnt die of your pain i may help!!:seeya:

ask your doctor for another NSAID maybe, but im scared they all have been banned recently. you could also try naproxen, but i think it is supposed to be less effective than your celebrex... give it a try if the pain is too intense

RedDog382
04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
All the NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatorys) are really tough on kidneys. Like Chris said, eventually one thing leads to the next. Eventually it steps up to narcotics like the Fentanyl patch. Then you get addicted.

Best thing I could recommend ... go get yourself a good quality hot tub with jets that will direct flow at the area you have problems with. 100-102*. Drink lots of fluid before you get in and after you get out. And get yourself a second opinion about hip replacement surgery from someone who has a good reputation for results specific to that surgery.

Wardey
04-23-2009, 11:16 PM
They gave me Celebrex on a torn lig in the foot last time....insurance would not cover the meds and they are expensive and like others said, "Hard on the Kidneys" !!! I didn't take mine after I purchased them. "Percocet" were GREAT !!!! on all my injurys.......until you come off of them !!! Grin and bare the pain as long as you can. Dave

cuda
04-23-2009, 11:21 PM
They gave me Celebrex on a torn lig in the foot last time....insurance would not cover the meds and they are expensive and like others said, "Hard on the Kidneys" !!! I didn't take mine after I purchased them. "Percocet" were GREAT !!!! on all my injurys.......until you come off of them !!! Grin and bare the pain as long as you can. Dave

I've had them several diffent times, and I never had a problem getting off them. It was never long term usage though. I'll find out more tomorrow when I go back in the hospital.

RedDog382
04-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Also check in with SOS member BraceYourself. It think he sells high-tech orthopedic prosthetics ... he would know some of the good ortho docs.

phragle
04-24-2009, 12:12 AM
my sis went thru hell when she broke her back. Lyrica helped her without all the opiod side effects.

catmando
04-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Lyrica is used for fibromyalgia and nerve tissue damage. It might help you Robert. Ask your doctor first though...

Chris
04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Some other things that helped were physical/occupational therapy and acupuncture.

The right physical therapist can be a lifesaver. And they're hard to come by. I sincerely believe the good one's possess an intuitition that can't be taught. I've had them all and some can literally work magic. On occupational therapy, sometimes it's the tiniest thing. I travel alot and that's not good on a back. After 15 years of pain, an OT asked to see my wallet. She then told me I was forever barred from ever putting it in my hip pocket again. That got rid of 50% of my back issues right there. Yours could be something like shoes.

Acupuncture has given me some relief, albeit temporary.

Just about anything is worth a try- except chiropractic.