PDA

View Full Version : Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft. Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos

Bobthebuilder
04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Last year it was Cancun and now it's time for something a bit different and hopefully more relaxing. For months now I have been planning a trip down into the Caribbean with Team PREDATOR and it is now time to get started. Part 1 will take us from Ft. Lauderdale to Paradise Island (Nassau) in the Bahamas for a few days, then down to Georgetown, in the Exumas and from there to the Turks and Caicos. That distance is about 600 miles. Once there we will put the boat away for 7 - 10 days, take a break and fly home.

If that goes well, the plan (Part 2) is to return and continue on to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Island and finally the British Virgin Islands. That is another approximate 600 miles and I expect will be much more difficult than the Bahamas with some ocean going.

Once in the BVI, we will leave Team PREDATOR there for most of the month of May and explore the Islands and possibly beyond. All being well, we hope to join our offshore friends in the BVI for their annual Memorial Day Poker Run. After that, I expect we will then head back to Florida as my insurance company wants us out of there by early June.

This whole trip and the idea of doing the BVI poker run was inspired by EXPAT (on that other site) with his thread on their poker run last year. I've had several conversations with EXPAT ( David) , as well as Brad Schoenwald and others who have been a great help and inspiration. The waters are incredibly beautiful and perhaps I can share with you pictures and experiences of our adventure. I expect my postings may be somewhat sporadic, as I'm unsure just how good the internet connections will be along the way.

Again, I will take “SPOT” along with us and you can follow our travels by clicking on this link: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0vbmptbpn4X5vb3B2DV914DBgj39xjKD2

Bob

Tommy Gun
04-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Dream trip...the BVI's are so nice...I can imagine the fun to be had in a performance boat...scary good time!

catmando
04-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Good luck to you and your crew. Can't wait for the pics and vids!!

glh
04-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Well,,, We'll be on the Mut in Paradise Island from Friday 17th to Tuesday 21st, so stop to see a fellow Canuck there my friend!

Anyway give us your Spot website again so I can catch your lines when you pull into your docks in Nassau!

http://www.limestonedev.com/Azimut/Azimut02.jpg

http://www.limestonedev.com/Azimut/dwload24aout2008.jpg

Bobthebuilder
04-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the call the other day GL and look forward to seeing you at Atlantis. I have "Spot" set up now I think and will add the link to the end of post#1.
If all goes well we should be in by dinner time. We will lose some time clearing customs at Cat south of Bimini.
Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-16-2009, 12:11 AM
My crew from Ft. Lauderdale to Paradise Island will be 3 longtime friends from Kitchener - Waterloo, ON. Randy Bird, Paul Huck & Rick Caravaggio are flying to FLL tonight and in the morning. They are only available till Sunday so we will hang on Paradise Island for a few days and do some local boating, perhaps down to Allen Cay to check out the iguanas and / or out to Eluthera.

On Saturday, Marco Island friends OSO rockstrmkr (Hans H.) and OSO Marco Marc ( Marc S.) are flying out to the Bahamas in Marc's plane to join us. Hans and Marc will then help get us down to Turks and Caicos. They are both experienced divers so they will bring their gear along and we will do some diving.

Crewing from Turks and Caicos will be a bit more difficult. I will be watching for a 3 day weather window and will then fly in on just a few days notice. I have several offers of help but of coarse not everyone is free to go on such short notice. We will need to get that figured out but we have some time to do it. :)

Bob

glh
04-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Call me if you need to get on the Mut on Friday night we will be there on Saturday around noon...

Bobthebuilder
04-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Call me if you need to get on the Mut on Friday night we will be there on Saturday around noon...

Nice offer, thanks GL. I expect we will stay at Atlantis but held off booking it as some uncertainty with the weather. We will see what Thursday brings us.
I will keep in touch.
Bob

jmbtile
04-16-2009, 02:46 AM
I should have been a builder instead of a tile guy!

catastrophe
04-16-2009, 04:09 AM
This old guy is getting soooo far ahead of us in the fun dept. we are never going to catch up.

Be safe buddy.

BLAZE
04-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Good Lucky Bro-----:seeya:

boatme
04-16-2009, 05:39 AM
Bob

Sounds like a fun trip

we wil be watching with great interest

have fun my friend

Ratickle
04-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Have a great trip Bob. We'll be paying attention.

cosmic12
04-16-2009, 06:08 AM
Have a fun safe trip. Will watch and wait for pics, and thanks so much for shareing.

stainless
04-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Sounds like a blast! Have fun and stay safe!

Airpacker
04-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Bob, please complete this amazing offshore boating trip in one piece without need of medication, doctors or surgery on the return run :)

Sounds awsome Bob. Wish I were there being your boat b*tch :)

Have fun, be safe and post ots of pics for us "Lakes still frozen" folks.

jayboat
04-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Have a great trip, Bob!

I'll be in BVI to shoot the run for H2O Full Throttle - will see you there. :)

Bobthebuilder
04-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Bob, please complete this amazing offshore boating trip in one piece without need of medication, doctors or surgery on the return run :)

Sounds awsome Bob. Wish I were there being your boat b*tch :)

Have fun, be safe and post ots of pics for us "Lakes still frozen" folks.

Sean. I'm not all put back together yet from Cancun run. I had banged my left knee in that fall and thought just a bruise but never did heal. Finally got an MRI a few weeks ago and doc wants to repair torn meniscus. Told him it has to wait as I have boating plans. LOL Surgery is set for June 11 after I finish with this trip.
I figure this is a good time to do this with FMO runs done for now and season not yet ready to start up north.
Gotta go.
Bob

Magic Medicine
That is an awesome trip, good luck and have fun and be safe!

Ratickle
Have a great trip, Bob!

I'll be in BVI to shoot the run for H2O Full Throttle - will see you there. :)

Sweet Jay, I'll see if I can figure a way down to give you some crap.....:sifone:

Airpacker
04-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Sean. I'm not all put back together yet from Cancun run. I had banged my left knee in that fall and thought just a bruise but never did heal. Finally got an MRI a few weeks ago and doc wants to repair torn meniscus. Told him it has to wait as I have boating plans. LOL Surgery is set for June 11 after I finish with this trip.
I figure this is a good time to do this with FMO runs done for now and season not yet ready to start up north.
Gotta go.
Bob
Bob, BTDT 4 times, got the scars for souvenirs :)

Arthroscopic surgery most likely. Back up and running within days.

jmeng
04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
To say I'm jealous would be a huge understatement. The thought of doing trips like this someday gives me something to work towards. Hope the water is smooth and the drinks are cold.

Ms PatriYacht
04-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Have a great and safe trip, and try not to get to sunburned:blush5:

cuda
04-16-2009, 08:51 AM
I should have been a builder instead of a tile guy!

You and me both. :(

JupiterSunsation
04-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Bob is the man!

cuda
04-16-2009, 09:03 AM
This pic was taken in Jamaica yesterday by Trish. She's getting a tan, and I'm getting bedsores.

45Sonic
04-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Bob, while we have never met I do have an apprectiation for the adventures you put together. Please be safe and keep us updated as you can. Will be looking forward to following it on the internet. Have a lot of fun and send us back some great pictures.

Bill & Patti

bluellama
04-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Have a great trip Bob....

Chris
04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Bob's just gotta' lighten up and start enjoying life. ;)

P.S. It takes alot of "hardware" to head out into the open ocean alone, with help faaaaaaar of in the distance.

Davidmnc
04-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I am sure every one here but me knows the answer to this question, but what kind of boat are they taking on this adventure?

TIKI
04-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a dream adventure! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Sea-Dated
04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I am sure every one here but me knows the answer to this question, but what kind of boat are they taking on this adventure?

50' Nor-Tech V with Yanmars and Arnesons I believe.....

Bob, have a great trip and stay safe. Can't wait to see the pics from this amazing trip.

Watch out for pirates.....

Davidmnc
04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
50' Nor-Tech V with Yanmars and Arnesons I believe.....

Bob, have a great trip and stay safe. Can't wait to see the pics from this amazing trip.

Watch out for pirates.....

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Thanks Jim. I was wondering what kind of performance boat would be dependable and sea worthy enough to attempt this kind of adventure. And from the sounds of it, he's go the right one. I too am VERY envious!

Airpacker
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Bob could always use the Donzi or the Formula for a tow behind tender just incase :)

PARADOX
04-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Some guys have all the fun. :)

Have fun, be safe.
P

RichL
04-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Sounds like a dream trip. Have fun. Stay safe. Will be lookin forward to the pics.

Wobble
04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Looks like he is underway, I am so jealous, what a trip

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0vbmptbpn4X5vb3B2DV914DBgj39xjKD2

Salesmanship
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
He does have a tender. We figured out a way to mount a DUX cat on the sunpad.
I wish I had a picture of it because it looks like the boat has booster rockets mounted on the rear hatch.

Good luck Bob! I'm sure you'll be able to handle it without me.

Terry

Wobble
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Like this one?

Salesmanship
04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Yep

Wobble
04-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Just looking at the spot markers #2 and #4 on I-75 I come up with a distance of about 75 miles and it shows one hour. Busted:)

MarylandMark
04-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Cheers Bob!

Davidmnc
04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
That SPOT thing in very cool. But is does make me even more envious of Bob!

Airpacker
04-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I wish I had a picture of it because it looks like the boat has booster rockets mounted on the rear hatch.

Terry

Just to see Bob driving a cat would be worth the admission price. He keeps telling me he'll kill himself if he gets a cat. :)

Wobble
04-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I think he is stopped here #9 http://catcayyachtclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=53

Private island members only.

Sea-Dated
04-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I think he is stopped here #9 http://catcayyachtclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=53

Private island members only.

Very nice.....

Ted
04-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Terry

Here's one from his Facebook post this morning!

What a great trip, good luck Bob!

Airpacker
04-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Like the bunny, he's still going :)

glh
04-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Nice run today, see you in Nassau on the Mut Saturday!

rockstrmkr
04-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Terry, it won't be the same without you.....But I'll pick up some beef jerky on your behalf:sifone:

jayboat
04-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice run today, see you in Nassau on the Mut Saturday!

A bit of a zig-zag there at 8,9 and 10. Pauly musta been driving. :rofl:

bluellama
04-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Terry

Bob says 60 mph+ :D :D

Bobthebuilder
04-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks everyone. That was a big day with breakfast on Marco, lunch in Ft Lauderdale and dinner in Nassau. We were to have crossed Friday but moved it ahead a day to beat a front that was dropping down with 25 knot winds out of the north. We got off the water just in time this afternoon, as the wind and seas were starting to kick up. Seas were great to Bimini with rollers up to 7 ft but with a following sea made for a nice soft ride. We cleared customs at Cat Cay instead of Bimini as it is one stop shopping there but still took 2 hrs as one girl had the clear a few planes as well as us. I told her to take the day off tomorrow as she will not likely see many boats. LOL
From there we crossed the Great Bahama Bank with its incredible turquoise water where seas were less than 2 ft. From Chubb across to Nassau is another deep water crossing but again the wind was behind us and we cruised in 2 - 4's nicely until the last 15 miles when it started to get snotty.
Tomorrow is an off day where we will lay around the pool and take it easy. Saturday we will run 40 miles out to Allen Cay and check out the iguanas. Sunday will see my Canadian friends head back north while Hans and Marc and I head south to Georgetown in the Exuma chain. That could change with the weather I suppose but right now that is our plans.
I'll catch some sleep now and write a bit more tomorrow and post some pictures.
Bob

catastrophe
04-17-2009, 07:32 AM
What a great trip Bob. Good for you.
Trip of a lifetime for most guys on here.

Ratickle
04-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Sweet Bob, we're watchin.....

cuda
04-17-2009, 07:37 AM
That is a trip all of us has dreamed about at one time or another.:cool::cool:

catastrophe
04-17-2009, 07:52 AM
That is a trip all of us has dreamed about at one time or another.:cool::cool:

Can you imagine getting to do that ?

Unreal holiday.

Airpacker
04-17-2009, 08:45 AM
One of these days I will get Bob to adopt me then he'll have to take me with him on his fantastical adventures :)

Now Bob, get some coffee in ya and post some pics. !!!!!!

Wrinkleface
04-17-2009, 09:23 AM
WOW Dude!!! That sounds AWESOME!!!! Hope it will all come together & U have a GREAT X!!!!!:sifone:

Then, will look 4ward 2 C'n ya at Boyne Thunder!!!!!!!

Bobthebuilder
04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Unreal holiday.

TGIF Holiday? I thought I was working Alec. This is my job ! LOL

Going for breakfast with the crew. More later with pics.

Bob

cuda
04-17-2009, 09:34 AM
TGIF Holiday? I thought I was working Alec. This is my job ! LOL

Going for breakfast with the crew. More later with pics.

Bob

It's a nasty job, but someone has to do it.:)

Sea-Dated
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I am jealous as hell about this trip. Can't wait to see the pics.

Bobthebuilder
04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
1) Leaving Ft Lauderdale behind

2) Cat Cay where we cleared customs and immigration

3) waters on the Great Bahama Bank

More pics later - going out for dinner

Dominic
04-17-2009, 07:28 PM
this water looks incredible! have a safe trip

Shockwave
04-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm glad the seas were on your side .
How is Paul's back holding out ?
BTW don't worry about us back in the Great white North .:seeya:

Looking forward to the stories when you get back home . Home?
Bob where is home ? Just Kidding .

Paul

Bobthebuilder
04-17-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm glad the seas were on your side .
How is Paul's back holding out ?
BTW don't worry about us back in the Great white North .:seeya:

Looking forward to the stories when you get back home . Home?
Bob where is home ? Just Kidding .

Paul

Hey Paul, nice to hear from you. Pauli's back stood up well but he did tighten up some from the ride. He had a massage at the hotel today and will have another one Sunday. We just came back from dinner. He and Randy will close the bar again tonight while I do my thing here.

Ya, right. Not sure where home is anymore. :)

Take care,
Bob

Top Banana
04-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Bob....20/20 did a story on the Pirates tonight......a point was made that it seems so easy for poor people to make easy money, that it has now started to travel around the world....... and the Caribbean is the next area that is on alert.

Be careful down there....use that speed if you have to.

Can you imagine how much fun we had down there in the old Miami to Nassau races or the Bahamas 500 races?

Bobthebuilder
04-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Bob....20/20 did a story on the Pirates tonight......a point was made that it seems so easy for poor people to make easy money, that it has now started to travel around the world....... and the Caribbean is the next area that is on alert.

Can you imagine how much fun we had down there in the old Miami to Nassau races or the Bahamas 500 races?

Thanks for the warning, Charlie. What are you doing towards the end of this month? Maybe you can join us and we will fight these pirates off together!

I can only imagine how much fun you guys had running out to the Bahamas way back then. Only a compass and some scrunched up paper charts, I would think. No GPS, no Google Earth. I'm curious if when loran was starting to be used on boats did the racers adopt the technology or was there resistance to that?

Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-18-2009, 12:03 AM
I have wasted hours tying to load pics and will give it up again for now. Before I can get pics loaded i lose the internet connection and have to start all over again. Grrrr. I will let pics slide for now and try again tomorrow.

Bob

cuda
04-18-2009, 12:27 AM

Or a gun if necesarry.

Top Banana
04-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Bob...thanks...just PM me some approx dates and I'll stay open if possible.

One time in a race on the west coast, the fog came out....you know how we love the fog. Anyway everyone got lost, it started to get really thick and Bob Nordskog lost his compasses....maybe some kind of electronic something in the air?? Who knows...he looked at the time and figured where the sun should be and used the lifeline on the deck and it's shadow to get off the coast into deeper water and out of the fog bank.

Only Brownie could top that one.

cuda
04-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I've never had a compass die on me, but I've had electronic gizmos die on me. :sifone:

glh
04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I have wasted hours tying to load pics and will give it up again for now. Before I can get pics loaded i lose the internet connection and have to start all over again. Grrrr. I will let pics slide for now and try again tomorrow.

BobWe're 200 ft away from Bob on the Mut at the Atlantis... I'll try to post them for you!!!! :D

MarylandMark
04-18-2009, 05:36 PM
We're 200 ft away from Bob on the Mut at the Atlantis...

Life is good... :sifone:

BOJOE2
04-18-2009, 06:34 PM
be safe enjoy this is awesome

Bobthebuilder
04-18-2009, 08:46 PM
My Internet frustration continues. Server was down most of today.

Great to see GLH on "The MUT" for an hour and enjoy his and his families hospitality. He loaded all my pics into his laptop and will post some as time allows. Again, Thanks GL.

Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-18-2009, 08:52 PM
We went 35 miles down to Allen Cay late this morning in 4 - 6 ft as it is blowing 20 knots +. Just took our time and was actually a fun ride. Iguanas are really cool and have lots of great pics to share. Check "Spot" and you should see our track.

From there we did the short jaunt over to Highborne Cay and checked out the marina there. Very nice and Bahamas like.

We will do our run 150 miles south to Georgetown in the Exumas tomorrow as planned but may hit a wall there as no letup in the wind is forecast well into next week. There are large areas of ocean running with little protection south of the Exumas. Not sure what I will do as I lose Hans and Mark by Wednesday.

We will get it figured out. :)

Time for 7 of us to go out for dinner so gotta go for now.

Bob

Airpacker
04-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Bob, is it true? Do Iguanas really taste lke chicken? :)

Good luck on your run tomorrow.

aaps, hows the knee holding up in the big water? Did you get the anti shock floring before you departed?

Bobthebuilder
04-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Bob, is it true? Do Iguanas really taste lke chicken? :)

Good luck on your run tomorrow.

aaps, hows the knee holding up in the big water? Did you get the anti shock floring before you departed?

Thanks Sean. No iguana on my menu.! :) Knee is sore as much from all the walking I've been doing around here combined with the boating. Megabyte*3, my friend Tom Cullen leant me his cushiony floor mats and they have made a difference. We have also been careful not to pound the surf too hard as Paul H. has a bad back.

Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Bob...thanks...just PM me some approx dates and I'll stay open if possible.

Only Brownie could top that one.

Thanks Charlie. I will be in touch in a few days. Looks like we (I) may get stuck in Georgetown with weather with another front coming. I will need to make a decision on whether to wait it out or fly out for awhile till the wind lets up. I'm not good at sitting around waiting. Keep posted for developments and thanks, I just might take you up on that.
Bob

cuda
04-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Here's a live shot taken in Jamaica yesterday. It looks pretty windy, they have quite a few less hp, but I bet the ride in the windy conditions was smoother. :)

glh
04-19-2009, 06:01 AM
The whole family is in the Bahamas on the Mut and we met Bob The Builder yesterday, I offered to give a hand wiith some of his pictures so here we go!

Nice to finally meet Bob and some of the crew.

Beautiful boat!

Right tool for the job at hand.

Some of the tracking from Bob's trip yesterday to Allen Cay, there was some surf out there.

glh
04-19-2009, 06:01 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:02 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:04 AM
004... Some of the hardware at the Atlantis Marina where the Mut is the shortest ride by about 40 feet!!!

glh
04-19-2009, 06:05 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:06 AM
006... Various shots of the Atlantis Resort and their fish tanks... Kids love it.

glh
04-19-2009, 06:07 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:08 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:10 AM
009... Bob's trip yesterday to Allen Cay and some of the Locals...

glh
04-19-2009, 06:11 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:11 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:12 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:14 AM

glh
04-19-2009, 06:16 AM
015 I tought those 50 Nortech could carry a lot more food than that... A box of Ritz Carckers!!! I guess it beats beef jerky for 400 miles on the way to Cancun, what do you think Terry!

Hope this helps Bob, and have a great trip down to the Exuma's and further east!

BLAZE
04-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Breathtaking! -------- thanx for sharing your trip!

Airpacker
04-19-2009, 07:02 AM
wow, I used to think Predator was a BIG boat. :) Dam some people have REALLY BIG boats there.

Thanks for posting those GL.

MarylandMark
04-19-2009, 07:12 AM
:drool5:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0vbmptbpn4X5vb3B2DV914DBgj39xjKD2

Ratickle
04-19-2009, 08:04 AM
wow, I used to think Predator was a BIG boat. :) Dam some people have REALLY BIG boats there.

Thanks for posting those GL.

Octo***** used to be a dream yacht. Around 150' long and I believe over 50 knots. I think it's still a charter for around $100,000 per week.

Not to be confused with Paul Allens Octopus at over 400' long....

Bobthebuilder
04-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Wow, thanks for posting GL. You make it look so easy. I see you got up early to do it as well. Much appreciated :)

Our plan today is for the crew to meet for breakfast around 9 ish and then head out for the Exumas about 10 - 10:30 am. That is about 150 miles. Hans, Marc and Marcs friend Shawn want to see the iguanas so we will make a stop there on our way. We will plan our lunch a little better today and take sandwiches. There are still some cheeze and crackers on board. LOL
Follow us along with Spot.

Ratickle
04-19-2009, 08:27 AM
We're watching Bob. Let me know if you need some of us to fly down and bring the boat back........

Dominic
04-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Everything on this trip looks perfect... the boat, the scenery, the nice resort, the boat again!!! i envy you and the fun you must have down there, away from the great north. one day maybe ill get to do something like that...:drool5:

And thanks glh for the pics

BOJOE2
04-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Nice looks awesome

Bobthebuilder
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Sundays April 19th boating

We depart PI (Paradise Island) with Hans, Mark and Shawn for Allen Cay leaving my Canadian crew Randy, Pauli and Rick behind. They have one more day at PI before flying back north.

The wind is blowing a good 15 to 20 knots out of the SE and will increase as the day goes on. We pound our way in 4 – 6 ft seas back across the Bank the 35 miles to Allen Cay. This time we brought grapes which the iguanas love. The day before they rejected an apple but ate bread and BBQ chips. LOL
From there it was the short hop over to Highborne Cay again where I fueled and we had lunch. No cheese and crackers this time as we actually had the foresight to bring sandwiches. At Highborne someone was cleaning fish and the nurse sharks had congregated to eat the entrails. Got some great pics of that.

The most direct route to Georgetown was a deep water crossing with no protection. There was no way that was possible with conditions as they were and forecast to be worse Monday and beyond. So the longer but somewhat protected route would take us down the leeward side of the islands. This was about 60 miles longer as we had to zig zag a lot and go 20 miles further south to a cut that would take us thru to the east side of Little Exuma and back north to Georgetown in a following sea. I'm sure anyone following us on Spot was confused. It worked out ok but seemed to take a long time and we still took a pounding. Every bone and muscle in my body is aching but I feel some better this morning after a great sleep last night. I have to say it was worth it as we saw the most beautiful waters I have ever boated in my life. I just hope the pictures capture it as we saw it.

Today we will relax and explore Great Exuma some. It's doubtful we will do any diving or snorkelling today as it's way too rough and I need a day off the water.

I've made a few decisions on where I want to go from here with this trip and will share that a bit later. Time for breakfast and some time poolside.

Bob

Ratickle
04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Bananas are an Iguana's favorite food in the Caymans.

Have a nice trip.....

And I'm still willing to drive the boat back..:sifone:

glh
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
...down the leeward side of the islands..."leeward" what the heck is that for us motorboat dudes!!!!

My guess is "on the inside"...

We have to rid you of those sailing terms!!! I had this issue before I saw the light dowsed in 93 Octane fuel burning bright!

Ratickle
04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
"leeward" what the heck is that for us motorboat dudes!!!!

My guess is "on the inside"...

We have to rid you of those sailing terms!!! I had this issue before I saw the light dowsed in 93 Octane fuel burning bright!

That's the side where the land blocks the wind......

Bad for sailboats......

Magic Medicine
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
very cool trip, great thread

glh
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
That's the side where the land blocks the wind......

Bad for sailboats......Ohhhh! you mean leeward!!! :D :sifone:

Salesmanship
04-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I believe legend has it that Lee Ward was Montgomery's older brother. He lived on the less windy side of Chicago.

MarylandMark
04-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I've made a few decisions on where I want to go from here with this trip and will share that a bit later.

I'm hoping Port Tobacco, MD :26:

jayboat
04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I believe legend has it that Lee Ward was Montgomery's older brother. He lived on the less windy side of Chicago.

You are a funny man. :26:

pullmytrigger
04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Cool trip Bob......!!!

Susi says "No passing out on the dock.....!!"

MattBMiller
04-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Great pictures! I'd love to make that trip someday

baywatch
04-20-2009, 11:22 PM
It Looks like based upon the Spot you guys are staying in Town. If you are @ the Peace and Plenty look out because the "Doctor" serves the drinks up pretty stiff. "Glen" will take good care of you at the inside bar as well.

I spent quite a bit of time there a year ago trying to get a project going and as I got tired of eating Cow Tongue soup and fish stew for breakfast I realized that just because it isn't on the menu doesn't mean they won't make it for you. Sams will make you about anything you can come up with for breakfast and over on the other side of the lake @ the edgewater they have great mashed potatoes even if they aren't on the menu. When you go over to the Chat N Chill be sure to get fresh Conch Salad.

Man I am Jealous, wish I could be there to throw back a couple rum punches with ya.

Here is a pic of what your view looked like coming back up after going around the bottom of little exuma off of Tropic of Cancer Beach (The wind wasn't blowing much the day I took this pic).

boatme
04-21-2009, 05:01 AM
why do i keep hearing the theme song to the TV show Survivor playing in my head when i read this

Bobthebuilder
04-21-2009, 09:38 AM
With no letup in the winds in the 5 day forecast we have made a decision to secure the boat and fly out. We have had a great couple of days here on Great Exuma but with Mark and Hans needing to get back to business there is no point in me sitting for a week when I can get some things done on Marco or may even fly back to Canada until we get the forecast we need.

I knew going into this that April was a bit early to do it. Normally the summer months are better as the wind usually lets up. For me this was an ideal time with our spring Ft Myers Offshore schedule complete and things not yet starting up in Canada.

The boat is in a safe place at February Point Marina with on site security. I will fly back with a fresh crew and continue to Turks and Caicos when I get a 2 day window with 5 to 10 knots max. It may be that it is just too windy in April to get all the way to BVI. If that is the case we will enjoy some time in the Turks and Caicos and make our way back. I will reserve making a decision on that sometime later. Either way our adventure will continue for some time yet. I will keep everyone posted as events unfold.

Bob

MarylandMark
04-21-2009, 10:06 AM
there is no point in me sitting for a week when I can get some things done on Marco or may even fly back to Canada until we get the forecast we need.

Sure there is! :sifone: Make the next one a double and you will see the reason why. If that doesn't work; repeat until it does..

Have a safe trip!

Bobthebuilder
04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Cool trip Bob......!!!

Susi says "No passing out on the dock.....!!"

Hi Doug. Now I never knew that pic existed. On the dock at Kilarney, Georgian Bay, ON last summer. That was a great little trip as well.
Say hi to Susi for me and keep well.

Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Sure there is! :sifone: Make the next one a double and you will see the reason why. If that doesn't work; repeat until it does..

Have a safe trip!

He, he. Thanks, Mark. Glad I do not drink as I would miss way too much. Not everyone would agree with me on that but that's OK. :)

I'm sure some of the locals thought I was drunk this morning as after I dropped the crew off at the airport I got on the wrong side of the road. Can't get used to this right hand drive thing but as Hans was saying, hey, that's where the helm is on your boat !

Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
It Looks like based upon the Spot you guys are staying in Town. If you are @ the Peace and Plenty look out because the "Doctor" serves the drinks up pretty stiff. "Glen" will take good care of you at the inside bar as well.

I spent quite a bit of time there a year ago trying to get a project going and as I got tired of eating Cow Tongue soup and fish stew for breakfast I realized that just because it isn't on the menu doesn't mean they won't make it for you. Sams will make you about anything you can come up with for breakfast and over on the other side of the lake @ the edgewater they have great mashed potatoes even if they aren't on the menu. When you go over to the Chat N Chill be sure to get fresh Conch Salad.

Man I am Jealous, wish I could be there to throw back a couple rum punches with ya.

Here is a pic of what your view looked like coming back up after going around the bottom of little exuma off of Tropic of Cancer Beach (The wind wasn't blowing much the day I took this pic).

We stayed at a new place called the Beach Inn just north of town. The owners treated us like rock stars and just could not do enough for us. Very nice place. I would give it 4 1/2 stars which is rare around here. Just lacking some of the facilities a larger resort would have but love the friendliness.

The Tropic of Cancer Beach you picture is one of the top 10 beaches in the world. It was getting late in the day so we did not stop but will make the time as we eventually head down to the T & C.

Yesterday ( (Monday, I think ) we went over to Chat and Chill to check it out and did a bit of local boating in the protected waters. Hans bumped into a guy he knew when he was in the music industry in NYC. Small world for sure. I will leave it to him to tell about that.

Bob

Beach Inn pictured below. Only 16 units but very nice. Owners are Jeff and Tina. :)

Dominic
04-21-2009, 12:38 PM
it's always nice to have some reviews and infos on your trip! I always follow these threads religiously. nice to hear you still seem to have a good time cruising down there despite the winds (how coul you have a bad time down there... its raining and cold up north)
Hope youll be able to finish the trip as planned!

Dominic
04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
p.s. be careful on the roads!!! we dont need other Gino style stories with cars crashing and people flying and whatever else

MarylandMark
04-21-2009, 02:16 PM
He, he. Thanks, Mark. Glad I do not drink as I would miss way too much. Not everyone would agree with me on that but that's OK. :)

Oh man.. So you mean to tell me you weren't drunk in KW last year? I'm sure I was more than a sight to see then and reinforced your opinion why NOT to drink.

:rofl:

baywatch
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
p.s. be careful on the roads!!! we dont need other Gino style stories with cars crashing and people flying and whatever else

Ditto that!! One time when I was in Exuma a guy that we knew fell and broke his leg and had to get some x-rays. Come to find out the best X-ray machine on the island is @ the Veterinarian's office.

With you your history of getting injured you need to be extra careful when traveling those out islands or your apt to end up at the vet LOL...

Bobthebuilder
04-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Oh man.. So you mean to tell me you weren't drunk in KW last year? I'm sure I was more than a sight to see then and reinforced your opinion why NOT to drink.

:rofl:

Exactly, Mark. You were quite funny tho and I enjoyed spending an hour with you at Hogg's Breath. Someday I will tell you what you shared with me. LOL
Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Honest...... it wasn't my fault. He came out of no where ! LOL

Bobthebuilder
04-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Approaching Allen Cay

Randy greeting the first iguanas out of the bushes

Bobthebuilder
04-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Randy & Pauli feeding the iguanas chips and bread. We saved the cheese and crackers for our lunch. :)

Bobthebuilder
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Coupla boat pics and Randy with the conch he found.

Bobthebuilder
04-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Marc, Hans & Sean

Bob & Marc

Looking south from Allen Cay

Bobthebuilder
04-22-2009, 12:27 AM
A few of my favorites from Highborne Cay

Bobthebuilder
04-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Our visit to the Chat n Chill Bar

Bobthebuilder
04-22-2009, 12:41 AM
The Four Seasons on Great Exuma, absolutely beautiful. Lacking one thing only.... people.

Bobthebuilder
04-22-2009, 12:46 AM
I arrived back on Marco Island this evening and will fly to Toronto Wednesday afternoon. I will watch the weather from there and will hop on a plane and return to Great Exuma just as soon as I see a 2 or 3 day window to get Team PREDATOR down to the Turks & Caicos. To be continued .....
Bob

glh
04-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Bob again great meeting you and seeing your nice rig. Hope the rest of the trip goes well.

We started heading back yesterday, and will stay in Bimini for another day or two, we are staying at Bimini Bay which is being built into a nice place but as the Four Seasons you talk about up there it is deserted which prompted my wife to say 'there is just enough people for me, after 5 days at Atlantis"!!!

rockstrmkr
04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
:)Wow! What an awesome experience.....I had a blast!
Always a great adventure with Bob :sifone:

Awesome to meet GLH and his family on Paradise Island in the "Mut"!!!!!

Allan Cay was crazy...."The land that time forgot" Just glad those Iguanas liked grapes better than toes.....

When I asked the lady at the ships store on Highbourne Cay about marinas in Georgetown, she looked at me with this glazed look and said she'd never been there...Wow!

Sweet yachts all over the place but "Predator" still got the most looks:26:

Walked into the Chat'n Chill and ran right into Tony Brummel, the owner of Chicago based Victory Records! Not sure how Punk Rock that is....but it reminds me that it's a really really really small world! Had a few good laughs though......

Ridiculously good time had by all!
Thanks Bob....Just makes me think that had you been around when they still thought the earth was flat, Columbus would not be in the history books, Barnhart would be......

glh
04-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Awesome to meet GLH and his family on Paradise Island in the "Mut"!!!!!Nice to meet you also glad you had a great trip.

Wrinkleface
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I arrived back on Marco Island this evening and will fly to Toronto Wednesday afternoon. I will watch the weather from there and will hop on a plane and return to Great Exuma just as soon as I see a 2 or 3 day window to get Team PREDATOR down to the Turks & Caicos. To be continued .....
Bob

Awesome adventure Dude! Thanx 4 sharing!!!!!

Bobthebuilder
04-23-2009, 12:18 PM
I just hired a firm called Weather Routing, Inc. They employ professional meterologists and will watch for a weather window for me and will plot my route. I will get regular updates sent to my Blackberry and will get several days notice to get down to Great Exuma to continue to T&C. Now that's cool and takes some stress away from me.
Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-23-2009, 02:33 PM
From their first report it looks like it will be next Thursday the 30th before I can return to continue with the trip. I will post a link to show how detailed their reports are when I can. Very cool.

Ratickle
04-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I just hired a firm called Weather Routing, Inc. They employ professional meterologists and will watch for a weather window for me and will plot my route. I will get regular updates sent to my Blackberry and will get several days notice to get down to Great Exuma to continue to T&C. Now that's cool and takes some stress away from me.
Bob

Ah, just do what Charlie and Rich would have done in the old days. Grab a compass, a couple of sandwiches, and go......:)

Bobthebuilder
04-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Ah, just do what Charlie and Rich would have done in the old days. Grab a compass, a couple of sandwiches, and go......:)

Technology really has spoiled us, hasn't it. :)

SLOWOUTBOARD
04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
hey bob how are you getting the boat home?shipping or driving

Bobthebuilder
04-23-2009, 06:01 PM
hey bob how are you getting the boat home?shipping or driving

I expect I will drive it back from wherever I end up whether that be T & C or BVI. The weather should get better as we get closer to summer. One of my problems is my insurer wants this all done with by early June before hurricane season starts. It can be shipped from San Juan to Miami but I think it would just be a pain but may be an option.
Bob

masher44
04-24-2009, 03:54 PM
WOW cool trip! best of luck!

Bobthebuilder
04-26-2009, 10:34 PM
We are planning on flying back to Georgetown on Wednesday this week to continue with our trip down to the Turks and Caicos Thursday. ( The forecasts I've been getting better hold up !! ) The attached Google Earth pics show two possible routes. Final route selection will be determined by wind and sea direction on the day of travel. Not a lot of difference in distance. Northerly route is approx. 274 miles and southerly is 280 miles. We will of coarse be referring to our charts when under way, and not Google Earth. It is a great tool tho when stuck at home. :)
Bob

Ratickle
04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Nice Bob, keeping us informed is really appreciated.

catastrophe
04-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I expect I will drive it back from wherever I end up whether that be T & C or BVI. The weather should get better as we get closer to summer. One of my problems is my insurer wants this all done with by early June before hurricane season starts. It can be shipped from San Juan to Miami but I think it would just be a pain but may be an option.
Bob

Hey Pal

I think you and I have the same insurer.
I had to have my boat out of Fla. by JUNE 1 to meet the fine print of my policy. Boat at RR now.

Bobthebuilder
04-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey Pal

I think you and I have the same insurer.
I had to have my boat out of Fla. by JUNE 1 to meet the fine print of my policy. Boat at RR now.

Hey Alec. My policy is the same. I pointed out to Rita that hurricane season does not start until after mid June and she is cool with it. Matter of fact for the first time they have agreed to let me leave the NT in FL this summer. Shhh. It's kept indoors of coarse so as long as the building does not blow down should be good.
I will do the northern poker runs in the Donzi this summer.
Keep in touch.
Bob

catastrophe
04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Boy you've been gone a while .What a trip! So many different places and hotels and resorts. Fantastic pal.

When you've spent the same as one of PRA 's poker runs please post.

Nortechnorth
04-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey Bob. Why do you always have to be so boring? Try something fun and interesting for a change one of these times! :26:

baywatch
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM
We are planning on flying back to Georgetown on Wednesday this week to continue with our trip down to the Turks and Caicos Thursday. ( The forecasts I've been getting better hold up !! ) The attached Google Earth pics show two possible routes. Final route selection will be determined by wind and sea direction on the day of travel. Not a lot of difference in distance. Northerly route is approx. 274 miles and southerly is 280 miles. We will of coarse be referring to our charts when under way, and not Google Earth. It is a great tool tho when stuck at home. :)
Bob

Very cool...

What is your cruising range on full fuel and what diesel power package does the 50' have in it? Our next boat will be a diesel so we have the ability to do more long range cruising.

Keep the updates coming for all of us that have to live vicariously through you...

Bobthebuilder
04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Very cool...

What is your cruising range on full fuel and what diesel power package does the 50' have in it? Our next boat will be a diesel so we have the ability to do more long range cruising.

Keep the updates coming for all of us that have to live vicariously through you...

Range is just over 400 miles. We have a 400 gal. fuel tank and can easily average 1 mpg. I'm quite happy with the diesel setup in this boat. I'm kinda over the 100 + MPH stuff. I may finally just be maturing ! LOL Some will doubt that. :)

Bob

rockstrmkr
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
"maturing" ? ? ? I sure hope not.....:sifone:

Bobthebuilder
04-27-2009, 05:23 PM
This is what is happening out there today::eek:

DATE TODAY (AFTN)

Wind Direction ENE-ESE / Wind Speed 22-30 GUSTS 35 /

Seas 4-6 ft. / Swell Direction ENE-ESE / Swell Ht. 7-9 ft. / Per 8 seconds

MOSTLY CLOUDY. ISOLATED SHWRS/SQUALLS*

Bobthebuilder
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Flying back to Georgetown today along with son in law Lee Kram and his buddy Jason Dutton. We are looking forward to getting back on the water tomorrow morning and if all goes well should make T & C by mid to late afternoon. I will get the latest weather from Weather Routers, Inc. this morning. Hope it has settled down some as forecast. :)
Bob

Bobthebuilder
04-29-2009, 07:31 PM
We are now in Georgetown but tomorrow looks like a no, go. On my way to the airport I received the latest update from Weather Routers and they are saying Saturday. That fit with some other info I had gathered late last night. When we flew in today we could see the frenzy out there and huge waves crashing on the beach. We will poke around here tomorrow and will likely take a shot at it Friday if it is showing signs of settling down. The locals say it has been blowing here for 3 weeks with little relief. Boo, hoo. I was all pumped and ready to go but rule number 1 is to stay safe so we will live to do it again someday. :)

Bob

Davidmnc
04-29-2009, 10:47 PM
We are now in Georgetown but tomorrow looks like a no, go. On my way to the airport I received the latest update from Weather Routers and they are saying Saturday. That fit with some other info I had gathered late last night. When we flew in today we could see the frenzy out there and huge waves crashing on the beach. We will poke around here tomorrow and will likely take a shot at it Friday if it is showing signs of settling down. The locals say it has been blowing here for 3 weeks with little relief. Boo, hoo. I was all pumped and ready to go but rule number 1 is to stay safe so we will live to do it again someday. :)

Bob

Be safe Bob! Have fun, and send pics.

Bobthebuilder
04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm looking at the Bahamas weather on my laptop over breakfast this morning and am really frustrated with this windy weather. There are whole host of options before me and I even considered pulling the plug on this thing and heading back to FL. I am not a quitter of coarse and I soon settle down and decide we should get started with our day doing a bit of local boating and make the best of it. We did poke our nose out a mile offshore to see just how bad it was out there and after eating some 8 ftrs came back in to the protected waters. The decision not to go to T & C today was the right one. It was truly nasty water.
So we find this gorgeous little bay with deserted sand beach on the leeward side of an island and drop anchor. We snorkelled some, swam to the beach, got the DUX boat out and just had fun. We then went over to Chat N Chill for a late lunch in the DUX boat and decided life at Great Exuma is not so bad after-all.
We also moved from the Beach Inn into a 3 bedroom villa at February Point overlooking the bay and marina where Team PREDATOR is safely put away.
One of the girls that works at February Point is anxious for a ride on Team PREDATOR and has offered to be our guide tomorrow and take us to a great local dive spot. ( You will just have to wait for those pics. LOL )
If there is some let up in the winds by Saturday we will then make our assault on Turks and Caicos . Until then, we will just tough it out here on Great Exuma. :)

Ratickle
04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm looking at the Bahamas weather on my laptop over breakfast this morning and am really frustrated with this windy weather. There are whole host of options before me and I even considered pulling the plug on this thing and heading back to FL. I am not a quitter of coarse and I soon settle down and decide we should get started with our day doing a bit of local boating and make the best of it. We did poke our nose out a mile offshore to see just how bad it was out there and after eating some 8 ftrs came back in to the protected waters. The decision not to go to T & C today was the right one. It was truly nasty water.
So we find this gorgeous little bay with deserted sand beach on the leeward side of an island and drop anchor. We snorkelled some, swam to the beach, got the DUX boat out and just had fun. We then went over to Chat N Chill for a late lunch in the DUX boat and decided life at Great Exuma is not so bad after-all.
We also moved from the Beach Inn into a 3 bedroom villa at February Point overlooking the bay and marina where Team PREDATOR is safely put away.
One of the girls that works at February Point is anxious for a ride on Team PREDATOR and has offered to be our guide tomorrow and take us to a great local dive spot. ( You will just have to wait for those pics. LOL )
If there is some let up in the winds by Saturday we will then make our assault on Turks and Caicos . Until then, we will just tough it out here on Great Exuma. :)

Did you drive the DUX? That's a cat you know>>>>>>:sifone:

Bobthebuilder
04-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Did you drive the DUX? That's a cat you know>>>>>>:sifone:

Yes, I drove the cat (DUX) and did not kill myself !! LOL I have the pics to prove it but cannot post till early next week when home.
Maybe I could handle it as I left the 20 HP at home and just brought the 5 HP for putting around. Was wishing I had the big un today tho. :)

Airpacker
04-30-2009, 10:07 PM

I sure wish my life sucked as badly as your does Bob :)

Airpacker
04-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes, I drove the cat (DUX) and did not kill myself !! LOL I have the pics to prove it but cannot post till early next week when home.
Maybe I could handle it as I left the 20 HP at home and just brought the 5 HP for putting around. Was wishing I had the big un today tho. :)

Theres still hope for you yet then Bob. First driving a cat without dying and then wanting one with more power :biggrinjester:

baywatch
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM

Hey is the chick that wants to go boating named Amy? Blond hair, British Accent drives a beat up old Mini Van? If so, take some pics to post up for sure :26: .

Have you met Johnathon and Moira (they have the Glacier Bay parked @ Feb. Point). They are hoot to hang out with as well. If you stay in Georgetown long enough you will start to develop a british accent. LOl

Glad you are making the best of it while waiting for a weather window.

Bobthebuilder
05-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey is the chick that wants to go boating named Amy? Blond hair, British Accent drives a beat up old Mini Van? If so, take some pics to post up for sure :26: .

Have you met Johnathon and Moira (they have the Glacier Bay parked @ Feb. Point). They are hoot to hang out with as well. If you stay in Georgetown long enough you will start to develop a british accent. LOl

Glad you are making the best of it while waiting for a weather window.

Not Amy. Claudette. Petite with dark hair. You may recognize from pics I will post when back. She is a sort of concierge, take care of people person here at February point.

Have not met Jonathan & Moira but think I see their Glacier Bay here. We did meet the people that have the Donzi CC. No British accent yet, eh. Just some left over Canadian. It's a laugh trying to figure out what the locals are saying to you as we just catch every third word. People are very friendly here. Roland Ferguson is our driver and gives us a running account as we drive along.

Interestingly we find out that a person we know from Waterloo, ON the Haycocks have a place here at February Point. My son in law Lee who is with us is good friends with his son. Small world is getting smaller.

Bobthebuilder
05-01-2009, 11:04 PM
We had another great day here today at Great Exuma. Dove on some reefs, chased sting rays and lots of colorful fish. Got more unbelievable pics for posting later. Went surfin in the DUX boat. What a blast. Anyway the fun and games are over. Tomorrow at 7 am we will leave here for Turks and Caicos. The winds have let up some and we are going for it. When we were out in PREDATOR today we went outside of the barrier islands and while there were some big rollers it was a whole lot better than yesterday. We could run 45 MPH and not launch and that was in an exposed area. When we get some protection from Long Island and Acklands Island we expect we can run closer to 55 or 60 so will make up some time we hope.
Anyway I am looking forward to the next phase of this adventure and it's time to move on.:) Be sure to check on our progress on Saturday by going to the link to our "SPOT" GPS tracker. The link can be found at the end of post #!.
Bob

Ratickle
05-02-2009, 07:16 AM
We had another great day here today at Great Exuma. Dove on some reefs, chased sting rays and lots of colorful fish. Got more unbelievable pics for posting later. Went surfin in the DUX boat. What a blast. Anyway the fun and games are over. Tomorrow at 7 am we will leave here for Turks and Caicos. The winds have let up some and we are going for it. When we were out in PREDATOR today we went outside of the barrier islands and while there were some big rollers it was a whole lot better than yesterday. We could run 45 MPH and not launch and that was in an exposed area. When we get some protection from Long Island and Acklands Island we expect we can run closer to 55 or 60 so will make up some time we hope.
Anyway I am looking forward to the next phase of this adventure and it's time to move on.:) Be sure to check on our progress on Saturday by going to the link to our "SPOT" GPS tracker. The link can be found at the end of post #!.
Bob

Stay safe Bob, we'll be watching...:seeya:

catastrophe
05-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Yeah......what he sad......be safe buddy

Davidmnc
05-02-2009, 09:33 AM
They must not have gotton that 7am start. Spot has not moved.

jayboat
05-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Looks like they gave it a shot - made it almost to Long Island and then turned back.

Weather shows winds out of the SE at steady 10. I'm gonna armchair-captain here and guess that's enough to keep it stirred up and there is probly some big stuff right there at the edge of that underwater ridge. :ack2:

Ratickle
05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Looks like they gave it a shot - made it almost to Long Island and then turned back.

Weather shows winds out of the SE at steady 10. I'm gonna armchair-captain here and guess that's enough to keep it stirred up and there is probly some big stuff right there at the edge of that underwater ridge. :ack2:

You'd think steady 10mph winds wouldn't be all that bad. Maybe he forgot someone....:)

jayboat
05-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but the water has been nasty and steady 10 could keep it active. Plus, if the wind and water funnels up along the bottom side of that island... that one spot there could be interesting. again, total speculation on my part- just trying to live vicariously through the Bobfather!

Bobthebuilder
05-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone from Nassau!! LOL We got started at 7:30 am and did not get far when we had an overheating issue in the starboard motor. I expect we picked up some grass and sand from some of the shallow water we ran in just before putting the boat away yesterday. Anyway we returned to the dock, cleaned the strainers and flushed our engines and were back on our way by shortly after 8. No more overheating and that was fine.
The winds had picked up overnight again and swung to the SE so we were going right into it. Some areas were fine but as we were heading across towards the south tip of Long Island we started to take a beating and had our speed backed down under 40 MPH. The forecast from Weather Routers, Inc had it even worse after we cleared the tip of Acklands Island and crossed the big water to Provo. We had gone about 45 miles and I just did not feel up to an all day beating so made the decision to return to Georgetown. We then secured the boat at February Point again and caught a ride to the airport in time to catch a 1 PM flight to Nassau. We will catch some (more) R &R and fly back to Toronto from here tomorrow afternoon as my crew needs to back to work Monday. I will return again if and when these relentless winds ever settle down. Sorry for the false start. :(
Bob

Ratickle
05-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone from Nassau!! LOL We got started at 7:30 am and did not get far when we had an overheating issue in the starboard motor. I expect we picked up some grass and sand from some of the shallow water we ran in just before putting the boat away yesterday. Anyway we returned to the dock, cleaned the strainers and flushed our engines and were back on our way by shortly after 8. No more overheating and that was fine.
The winds had picked up overnight again and swung to the SE so we were going right into it. Some areas were fine but as we were heading across towards the south tip of Long Island we started to take a beating and had our speed backed down under 40 MPH. The forecast from Weather Routers, Inc had it even worse after we cleared the tip of Acklands Island and crossed the big water to Provo. We had gone about 45 miles and I just did not feel up to an all day beating so made the decision to return to Georgetown. We then secured the boat at February Point again and caught a ride to the airport in time to catch a 1 PM flight to Nassau. We will catch some (more) R &R and fly back to Toronto from here tomorrow afternoon as my crew needs to back to work Monday. I will return again if and when these relentless winds ever settle down. Sorry for the false start. :(
Bob

I'm tellin you. Grab Charlie and Rich. They'll get you there. Well, maybe....:)

Take care, till next time.

Bobcat
05-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Bob

the wind has been steady since january down here, great for working but a stinker for boating, 15 today is the lowest it has been

Bobthebuilder
05-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Stormsurf site shows 4 to 6's thru most of the Bahamas right into the Caribbean. The swell ht and wind direction were factors as well. Even east coast of FL looks better with 2 - 4's and less than 2 ft on the west coast. Was wishin ( well sort of ) that I was back in FL today. :)

Bobthebuilder
05-02-2009, 11:12 PM

Jay you are absolutely right about a change in conditions where the shelf drops off. There were no more shallow banks to run across and it was a deep water crossing for the next 240 miles. While it was probably doable, I just was not willing for the beating we would have taken. We did enjoy our time in Georgetown and the local waters there. I have more great pics for posting but probably not till Monday since we will be travelling tomorrow.
Thanks for keeping an eye on us. :)
Bob

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 08:19 AM
I use to want to be you but you are having to work harder having fun than I do at work.

Nevermind- after 2nd thought I still want to be like you. LOL- have a dafe trip home!

Bobthebuilder
05-03-2009, 09:30 AM
I use to want to be you but you are having to work harder having fun than I do at work.

Nevermind- after 2nd thought I still want to be like you. LOL- have a dafe trip home!

He, he. Mark, I'm starting to feel like a loser. LOL What a way to lose tho. It still has been a lot of fun and my crew(s) and I have enjoyed the Exumas and it's beautiful waters. We will see what next week brings. We're not done yet. :)
Bob

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 11:48 AM
He, he. Mark, I'm starting to feel like a loser. LOL What a way to lose tho. Bob

I'm a loser but some how it's just not the same.. :sifone:

Momma Nature- you control her; you would rule the world (a little bit more than you already do).

I think I heard an 80 Nor Tech would handle it with no problem.. If you wanted a Concept as a tender to explore the island (and get you out of that cat before you hurt yourself!!) let me know- it's yours (for Team Predator and I even got a shirt to match her already!).

Cheers Bob- upgrade to 1st class on the way home; you deserve it!

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 11:52 AM
http://www.nor-techboats.com/images/image.pdf

hee heee....

Bobthebuilder
05-04-2009, 04:36 PM
1 & 2) Jason & Bob in DUX
3) Snorkelling off the beach at Fowl Cay

Bobthebuilder
05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
1) Jason / Bob / Lee at Chat n Chill

2)Dingys on the beach at Chat N Chill

3)PREDATOR at anchor off Stocking Island

Bobthebuilder
05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
1) view from our villa at February Point

2) Lee and DUX on the beach

3) Ray just off the beach. We saw lots of them. They will eat out of your hand if you have the right food. we didn't. :)

Bobthebuilder
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
1)You can see the ray between shore and PREDATOR

2 & 3) Bob heading to tackle the surf in DUX :)

Bobthebuilder
05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
1 & 3) Jason / Lee snorkelling off Fowl Cay

2) PREDATOR at anchor - Fowl Cay

Bobthebuilder
05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
1) Bob after a bit of snorkelling, Fowl cay

2)Our rented villa at February Point, Georgetown, great exuma

3) Seascape

Bobthebuilder
05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
1) What can I say - beautiful. These are the natural colours and none of the pics have been enhanced

2)Four Seasons, Exuma

3) Emerald Bay Marina next to Four seasons - closed

Bobthebuilder
05-04-2009, 05:22 PM
1) Emeral Bay marina - hope someone picks it up. Requires a $6 M fix to keep the surge out

2) Atlantis when flying back to Nassau

3) Sheraton Cable Beach where stayed Sat. night before flying north Sunday. Very nice and reasonably priced. :)

That's all till my return. Enjoy.

Bob

03darkshadow
05-04-2009, 05:23 PM
beautiful pictures, and boat.

Davidmnc
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
beautiful pictures, and boat.

+1 :26:

Wardey
05-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks Bob !!! Man, it's beautiful down there. I would not have came back. Look's like alot of fun !!! Dave

Bobthebuilder
05-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I am returning to Georgetown in the Exumas tomorrow ( Friday) along with friends Joe Quinn and James Glover to wrap up my trip. While I had a goal to at least get to the Turks and Caicos it does not appear likely that I will get there this trip. The winds in the southern Bahamas continue to blow and there is no letup in the forecasts I am seeing. Conditions in central and northern Bahamas and across the FL straits appear to be good over the next several days so the plan is to bring my baby back to FL by Monday. We plan on running from G'town to Nassau on Saturday and spend another night on PI, across the bank to Bimini Sunday and check into the Bimini Bay Resort and then cross to Ft Lauderdale on Monday morning. I guess one of the lessons learned is to not try and do a long range trip like this in the spring months but better to wait till summer if possible when winds tend to be lighter. It has been a lot of fun just the same and great to be able to share with so many friends.
I will do some posting to let those interested know how the return trip goes. Hopefully uneventful. :)
Bob

PARADOX
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Great stuff bob, Thanks for all the info. and pics.
Have a safe trip back.. See you around the local docks one of these days again.

Hmmm.. Damn I need a bigger boat.. :leaving:

Bobthebuilder
05-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Great stuff bob, Thanks for all the info. and pics.
Have a safe trip back.. See you around the local docks one of these days again.

Hmmm.. Damn I need a bigger boat.. :leaving:

Thanks, Peter. On my way to the airport now. Actually kinda looking forward to getting back to FL. :)

Bob

Airpacker
05-08-2009, 09:58 AM
I wish my life SUCKED as badly as yours does Bob :) Have a safe run back to FL.

MarylandMark
05-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I will do some posting to let those interested know how the return trip goes. Bob

I'm in!

I wish my life SUCKED as badly as yours does Bob :) Have a safe run back to FL.

+1. I could upgrade my lifestyle 10 fold just off ebaying Bobs frequent flyer miles!

Bobcat
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
1 & 3) Jason / Lee snorkelling off Fowl Cay

2) PREDATOR at anchor - Fowl Cay

that pic of the predator is suitable for framing:drool5:

baywatch
05-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks for posting. Bummer on the winds, but that leg to the T & C's would not be an enjoyable event with winds of even half of what they have been blowing. Have a safe return and pop some more pics for us..

Ratickle
05-09-2009, 07:03 AM

If they photoshop me in maybe......:)

MarylandMark
05-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Right...right... :sifone:

Davidmnc
05-09-2009, 09:25 AM

:leaving:

Airpacker
05-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Probably be hanging in Bob's cottage soon :)

Bobthebuilder
05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
We arrived at Bimini Bay Resort on Bimini this afternoon. The return trip has been superb and pretty much as planned.
Saturday morning we left Georgetown on Great Exuma and ran north to Staniel Cay where we had lunch at the Yacht Club. From there it was only a few miles to Major Cay where we fed the wild pigs some lunch. ( our leftovers ). Wait until you see the pics of these critters swimming out to the boat to get their meal. Too funny. From there we continued north and made another stop at Allan Cay so James and Joe could see the iguanas. It was inundated with people as two boatloads from Powerboat Adventures were there out of Nassau.
From there we ran the rest of the way to Nassau arriving in the late afternoon.
Nassau was busy and vibrant. They seem to be benefitting from the flu scare in Mexico right now with people choosing to go there instead.
Anyway, we were back on the water by noon today for the two hour run to Bimini. Winds were light and the seas were friendly. We could very easily have gone on to Ft Lauderdale today but wanted to check out the Bimini Bay Resort and have one last night in Bahamas. It is outstanding and I highly recommend it. We have a golf cart to get around in. I have lots of great pictures to share when back.
Also this morning when we got to the boat "SPOT" was no where to be found and thus no track. I have no idea where it has disappeared to. Maybe it will show up when we unpack the boat.
Tomorrow we will leave mid morning for Ft Lauderdale. it should be an easy crossing. James and Joe have a 2:30 pm flight to Toronto. I will go to Marco for a couple of days before going back north.
I will write a bit more tomorrow evening when back on Marco.
Bob

MarylandMark
05-10-2009, 08:06 PM
No SPOT?

Make sure you file a plan with someone so they can check on you if (God forgive) some thing doesn't work out as planned!

Too many of us live vicariously through you for you not to be around! Plus I kinda like ya... LOL- but really; please do!

Bobthebuilder
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
No SPOT?

Make sure you file a plan with someone so they can check on you if (God forgive) some thing doesn't work out as planned!

Too many of us live vicariously through you for you not to be around! Plus I kinda like ya... LOL- but really; please do!

Good advise, Mark. A float plan is always a smart idea when doing a crossing like that. Will do.
Bob

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
It was an easy 1 hr ride from Bimini to Ft Lauderdale this morning. Light wind out of the east and seas were 2 - 4ft or less and almost calm outside the gulf stream. It was a great trip, but always nice to come back to Marco Island. I have a number of pics I will post this evening. Thanks for following along. :)
Bob

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:08 PM
We had dinner after arriving at Georgetown, Great Exuma at the Bonefish Lodge. Every evening the owners wife feed the sharks that come in from the ocean to their salt water pool. Kinda neat to see.

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:12 PM
1) Bob en route to Staniel Cay

2) James (right ) and Joe (left)

3) the shelter where the locals hang at Staniel Cay

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
1) A sign at Yacht Club Staniel Cay that caught my eye. I must remember that!

2) Team PREDATOR at the docks at Staniel Cay

3) Wild pigs at Major Cay coming to check us out.

Wrinkleface
05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Awesome trip Bob!! Take care Buddy!:sifone:

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Here piggy, piggy. The seagulls were competing with them for the food.

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:28 PM
1) Nice catch. Dolphin at Allan Cay

2) A ray at Allan Cay

3) The Powerboat Adventure crowd at Allan Cay. When there was just us there the iguanas would come right to us. With this crowd they would just come to the edge of the bushes.

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
1) even Reggies boats follow me around ! LOL

2 & 3 ) Coupla seascape shots on the Great Bahama Bank just east of Bimini.

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:38 PM
1) Lighthouse at North Cat Cay

2) Sonoma near Bimini. It`s been a fixture for a long time.

3) James ( right ) and Joe at Bimini Bay Resort

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:43 PM
1) One of two marinas at Bimini Bay Resort ( BBR ) They were busy on the weekend but was pretty quiet by the time we arrived on Suday mid afternoon.

2) Towel lady wanted in this picture. LOL

3) Bob chillin poolside

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:49 PM
1) Bob hard at work while ......

2) James plays in the disappearing edge pool.

3) BBR sunset last night

Bobthebuilder
05-11-2009, 10:57 PM
1) Leaving Bimini this morning

2) Arrival in Ft lauderdale an hour later

3) Back on the trailer. Clean as a whistle. No bathtub ring - the waters of the Bahamas are sooo crystal clear. If you ever get the chance, do it. End of story till next time.

All the best and thanks for following along.

Bob

PS - I found Spot tonight while unpacking. Made its way into a secret compartment in one of my bags. :)

Ratickle
05-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Nice pics Bob. Thanks....

TIKI
05-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks again for taking the time to share your adventure. That blue water looks awesome!

MarylandMark
05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
If you ever get the chance, do it.

I printed that out to submit with my AmEx card payment after my trip :sifone:

Nice pics Bob. Thanks....

+1

03darkshadow
05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
that looks awesome. there is another thing on my list to do before i die :sifone:

ChiefApache
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
What a great time and thanks for the pics.

RichL
05-12-2009, 12:47 PM
thanks for the pics. They look great.

baywatch
05-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for sharing the adventure. Journey's like that are on my to do list. I told my wife need to take a trip to little exuma to check on our lots.

How much does the nortech weigh, what is your cruising speed and WOT with the diesels?

Thanks again for posting all the pix

-Josh

Bobthebuilder
05-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for sharing the adventure. Journey's like that are on my to do list. I told my wife need to take a trip to little exuma to check on our lots.

How much does the nortech weigh, what is your cruising speed and WOT with the diesels?

Thanks again for posting all the pix

-Josh

Boat weighs in at about 20,000 lbs. plus 400 gals. of fuel. WOT is 76 mph and it is no problem to cruise at 65 mph or better all day long. The weak link seems to be props. We have broken 2 props in 220 hrs. I carry a spare left and right. The higher the speed you run, the shorter the life. Kinda like us humans I guess. :)
Bob

Ms PatriYacht
05-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Bobthebuilder's Excellent Adventure:sifone: I am glad I got to follow along. Looked like just an awesome trip, the pictures were great and I nice diversion from the daily grind of life here in MI. It's good to know you are home safe and sound, rest up, get your knee fixed up and hope we see you this summer on Lake Erie

Bobthebuilder
05-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Bobthebuilder's Excellent Adventure:sifone: I am glad I got to follow along. Looked like just an awesome trip, the pictures were great and I nice diversion from the daily grind of life here in MI. It's good to know you are home safe and sound, rest up, get your knee fixed up and hope we see you this summer on Lake Erie

Thanks, Donna. Yes I have to make that long promised trip to MI this summer to do a little boating with my friends over there. I will now start to take a look at Boyne to see if I can do that or maybe something with LEOPA in the Donzi.

Nuther sorta funny story here this morning. I got up at 6 am this morning to catch a 10 am flt from Miami to Toronto. Half way across the everglades on US 41 I blew up a motor on my rental car. Of coarse I missed my flight and am now at the Casablanca in South Beach enjoying lunch. At least it's good to know I can still blow motors up ! LOL Hopefully I will get home later today. We have a holiday this weekend in Canada and don't want to miss it ! LOL

Bob

Airpacker
05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
We have a holiday this weekend in Canada and don't want to miss it ! LOL

Bob

H e l l knows if anyone NEEDS a holiday, it's you Bob :):26:

Bobthebuilder
05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
H e l l knows if anyone NEEDS a holiday, it's you Bob :):26:

You would point that out , Sean. LOL I'm home. Now to unpack and then repack for the cottage. I'm not liking the forecast. Should have stayed in FL but it's almost too hot there this week. Every day high of 89 / 90 degrees.

Ms PatriYacht
05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Bob are you still going to have knee surgery

Bobthebuilder
05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Bob are you still going to have knee surgery

Yes. Set for June 11th. I should try to take it easy on it for the next little while now. Doc says full contact sports 30 days after surgery. LOL

Ratickle
05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Boat weighs in at about 20,000 lbs. plus 400 gals. of fuel. WOT is 76 mph and it is no problem to cruise at 65 mph or better all day long. The weak link seems to be props. We have broken 2 props in 220 hrs. I carry a spare left and right. The higher the speed you run, the shorter the life. Kinda like us humans I guess. :)
Bob

Bob, quit hitting stuff.:sifone: Paul

Ms PatriYacht
05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Bob I had a little blooper myself on Tuesday night, I was climbing up and down and straddling the rocks on my seawall trying to water some plants with a bucket of lake water. Ian was not home it was dusk and no one was around, 10 min. after thinking how this would be a bad time for a fall, I slipped and landed about 4' down in the lake water, I was soaked, and a bit bruised, but thankfully not much more.

Bobthebuilder
05-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Bob I had a little blooper myself on Tuesday night, I was climbing up and down and straddling the rocks on my seawall trying to water some plants with a bucket of lake water. Ian was not home it was dusk and no one was around, 10 min. after thinking how this would be a bad time for a fall, I slipped and landed about 4' down in the lake water, I was soaked, and a bit bruised, but thankfully not much more.

Ouch. Glad you are OK. You women sometimes have a tough and dangerous job. :)

Sea-Dated
05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
1) Leaving Bimini this morning

2) Arrival in Ft lauderdale an hour later

3) Back on the trailer. Clean as a whistle. No bathtub ring - the waters of the Bahamas are sooo crystal clear. If you ever get the chance, do it. End of story till next time.

All the best and thanks for following along.

Bob

PS - I found Spot tonight while unpacking. Made its way into a secret compartment in one of my bags. :)

Thanks for sharing Bob. Love the pictures...

Bobthebuilder
05-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Love the pictures...

Thanks. Before I left on the trip I bought a Canon Rebel Xsi. I have to say that was a great investment. I just left it on auto and let the camera do the work. Guys like Jayboat, and others on here are the real pro's. Love their pics. :)

Bob

Bobthebuilder
05-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I thought it worth mentioning that the Florida Powerboat Club has a run to Bimini, Bahamas coming up on Memorial weekend May 22 - 24. This is a great way to have an introduction to Bahamas boating. Anyone interested should contact Stu or Jackie at the club office. Here is a link to FPC web site http://www.flpowerboat.com/new/
Bob