PDA

View Full Version : Vonage or other phone options

Ms PatriYacht
04-14-2009, 01:15 AM
I am looking for a third line. I would like it to have a NY area code, instead of my MI one. I would need voice mail, caller ID, and very good reception in receiving and making calls. There are several reasons I don't want an ATT line, they are expensive to have installed and I assume that you have to use your local area code. It's also important that the new number does not appear on my phone bill.

Vonage looks like it could give me all that and then some but a lot of the reviews talk about poor reception and slowing down the computer. These
will be business calls so reception is very important. Since I have to use the computer while on the phone I can't have the phone slowing the computer down. I am not tech savvy so the phone system can't be to complicated to hook up.

I have seen TV adds for an additional land line called something like phone jack, but I can't find anything on it, has anyone seen that add and know the company's name or web site. Is that product any good.

If anyone here has or had Vonage, what do you think of it and do you use it often. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

boatme
04-14-2009, 05:46 AM
I have had Vonage in my office now for two years

We spend all day on the phone, calling all over the country, and have had almost NO problems

Great thing is if you move to a new location you just unplug the unit and take it to anywhere with a cable connection and you are up and running in seconds no transfers necessary

I have caller ID, call forwarding, fax line and an 800 number

I would NEVER sign up for a regular land line again

I can't be more pleased

cuda
04-14-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm pretty sure the other phone system you're talking about is Majic Jack. I think my younger brother has Vonnage.

florida gator
04-14-2009, 07:59 AM
How about a video phone? Service operates like Vonage but you can see any other parties that also have a video phone. As boatme said, unplug it and take it anywhere with you weather your traveling or making a permanent move.

Let me know if this is of interest. I can get you more info. I am a distributor for these.

boatme
04-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Florida

Post some info on this

florida gator
04-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Let's see if the link works. There's also opportuinties for new reps. The company was recently featured on the Celebrity Apprentice.

http://jholder.acnrep.com/c_products.asp?CO_LA=US_EN&BW=

Trim'd Up
04-14-2009, 09:32 AM
I had vonage for a few years and never had an issue at all. I now have charter just because I got the bundle and it has been trouble free too.

cigdaze
04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Going on my 4th year with Vonage...never had a problem.

MattBMiller
04-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I think the one you're thinking of that's on TV is the Magic Jack. A guy from work here has it, I can ask him about it if you want me to.

Ms PatriYacht
04-14-2009, 11:41 AM
How about a video phone? Service operates like Vonage but you can see any other parties that also have a video phone. As boatme said, unplug it and take it anywhere with you weather your traveling or making a permanent move.

Let me know if this is of interest. I can get you more info. I am a distributor for these.

LOL Thanks for the offer, but there is no way in hell I would work on a video phone, I usually look like crap when working:ack2: I came home from the gym at 8:00 AM with no time for a shower, I changed into some dry warm mismatched clothes and my hair is in a ratty ponytail. At lunch time I will shower and while still in a towel or robe field a few incoming phone calls, sometimes I talk on the phone to customers while making dinner, folding laundry, making the bed, and on occasion have even used the bathroom :blush5:

With the vontage phone system can you use a portable phone, what about extensions. With my cordless I have the one base and then two plug in's

Thanks for the input, I am glad to hear that there does not seem to be a problem with clarity.

Ms PatriYacht
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I think the one you're thinking of that's on TV is the Magic Jack. A guy from work here has it, I can ask him about it if you want me to.

Matt that would be great, please ask him about the service

florida gator
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
LOL Thanks for the offer, but there is no way in hell I would work on a video phone, I usually look like crap when working:ack2: I came home from the gym at 8:00 AM with no time for a shower, I changed into some dry warm mismatched clothes and my hair is in a ratty ponytail. At lunch time I will shower and while still in a towel or robe field a few incoming phone calls, sometimes I talk on the phone to customers while making dinner, folding laundry, making the bed, and on occasion have even used the bathroom :blush5:

With the vontage phone system can you use a portable phone, what about extensions. With my cordless I have the one base and then two plug in's

Thanks for the input, I am glad to hear that there does not seem to be a problem with clarity.

They were obviously thinking of people like you and I when they put the privacy button on the phone. Just use it like a regular phone. It does also have portable options and although they will not advertise it as such because it was not the intent, you can also run it through your laptop if you have an aircard or such!!!

MarylandMark
04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Check in to a "remote call forwarded line" and get a local number forwarded to one of your existing lines. Local meaning local to the are you want the number- NY in this case.

I haven't looked in a while but it use to be 800 numbers have per minute fees