PDA

View Full Version : Crouse says move these books !!!!

Top Banana
04-10-2009, 08:48 PM
John Crouse called HORBA and said that he has lost his storage space for 100 plus brand new books that he has been keeping there....he has no where to put them and wants to move them ASAP.

He told HORBA to cut the price in half to move them....so that is the price until they are gone....ck the HORBA site for details.

www.historicraceboats.com

Sorry, USA sales only.

Magicfloat
04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Anyone with an interest in offshore racing needs John's book on their shelf. I'm sure most already have it,if not grab one now,worth way more than the current price.

Traviss
04-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Well I have never read it and just ordered one :) Looking forward to this great book

Top Banana
04-11-2009, 10:01 AM
The first orders are being shipped out today.....on behalf of John....Thank you, you are all helping a great old guy.

He really wrote the most comprehensive book on any motor sport ever., for those who don't know about this book and have ordered, you will be in for a very happy big surprise....the book alone weighs 6 pounds.

Ratickle
04-11-2009, 10:05 AM
The first orders are being shipped out today.....on behalf of John....Thank you, you are all helping a great old guy.

He really wrote the most comprehensive book on any motor sport ever., for those who don't know about this book and have ordered, you will be in for a very happy big surprise....the book alone weighs 6 pounds.

I have an autographed copy, and paid a lot more for it, and would again. I would like to see the sequel.... Any news?

Trim'd Up
04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I just ordered it. Looking forward to checking it out.

sellsman11
04-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I ordered one for the office. Thanks for the heads up!

Top Banana
04-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I have an autographed copy, and paid a lot more for it, and would again. I would like to see the sequel.... Any news?

John is getting near 80 years of age. He has written a 2nd book, but could not find a publisher who was willing to go to print with a limited number of copies.

The publishers all say the market is too small and fragmented, they are not willing to put up the funding for the run........ and it costs too much for the short runs to work.

HORBA will probably end up with the manuscript and maybe in the future some new technology will allow it to be printed in a smaller number.

Ratickle
04-11-2009, 02:20 PM
John is getting near 80 years of age. He has written a 2nd book, but could not find a publisher who was willing to go to print with a limited number of copies.

The publishers all say the market is too small and fragmented, they are not willing to put up the funding for the run........ and it costs too much for the short runs to work.

HORBA will probably end up with the manuscript and maybe in the future some new technology will allow it to be printed in a smaller number.

Charlie, Let's look into this and see what John says. I would think we can make it work through a joint cooporative effort. I know iI'd buy a copy. And I'd want it autographed again....

Review the link and see what you think.

Paul

http://www.yourownpublisher.com/

Audiofn
04-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Paul that is exactly what I was thinking. Publish it on the net. Not quite as cool as the hard cover but still cool none the less.

Audiofn
04-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Just ordered mine. I have looked through Biggus's enough that I know I need to own this book. :D

Ratickle
04-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Paul that is exactly what I was thinking. Publish it on the net. Not quite as cool as the hard cover but still cool none the less.

No, these new printers are Hardcover, softcover, whatever you want. Color pics etc. I was listening to someone on PBR the other day who did it with a book he wrote.

Here is a cut and paste from their setup page for pricing to show some options.

To see pricing based on a sample order, select the appropriate options and click on the 'Show Cost' button. You can change options and recalculate as many times as you want.

Do you want to print any content (excluding cover) pages in color?: NoYes Explain This...

If yes, enter the number of color pages (excluding cover): Explain This...

Select the paper type you desire: High gloss enamel (color only)White matte (color only)Smooth white (non-color only)Smooth opaque off-white Explain This...

Select the page size (inches): 4¼ x 7 5½ x 8½ 6 x 9 8½ x 11 (or 8X10 for Case/Hardback Bound Books) Explain This...

Enter the total number of pages, including color pages (1 - 700): Explain This...

Enter the number of copies (25 - 5000): Explain This...

Select the cover style: White (no additional charge)InstantPublisher.com full color design (add $.25 per book)Customer full color cover design (see Explain This...) Explain This...

Select the cover lamination: UV Coating Gloss (no additional charge)Plastic Lamination Gloss (add $.25 per book)

Print on inside covers: NoInside Cover Black and White Printing 0.10/BookInside Cover Color Printing 0.25/Book

Select the binding style: Perfect Binding (no additional charge)

Case/Hardback (pricing varies depending on size and quantity)Double Wire (add $0.25 per book)Double Wire Wrap-Around (add $0.50 per book)Plastic Wire (add $0.25 per book)Plastic Comb (add $0.25 per book)Saddle Stitch (add $0.25 per book)3-Ring Cased 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 (add $4.00 per book)3-hole Punch Only (add $0.25 per book) Explain This...

Do you want a proof copy?: Yes No Explain This...

Top Banana
04-11-2009, 04:54 PM
My youngest son who is a professional photographer out of NYC, is helping me put together a new book of about 100 rare photos from the 50's 60's and 70's of offshore racing.

We are using this kind of setup with a self publisher and I was thinking the same thing....if it goes well, I will see if John will release his manuscript and.....we will clean it up for those who are still living......John just puts it out there.

Ratickle
04-11-2009, 05:04 PM
My youngest son who is a professional photographer out of NYC, is helping me put together a new book of about 100 rare photos from the 50's 60's and 70's of offshore racing.

We are using this kind of setup with a self publisher and I was thinking the same thing....if it goes well, I will see if John will release his manuscript and.....we will clean it up for those who are still living......John just puts it out there.

Charlie,

Put a request out there for copies of photos from all our members to review for your book you're working on.

If you think it's a good idea, PM Chris about making it a sticky. With today's scan and email technology, should be fairly easy for you to see if there is interest in assisting.

Tony
04-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Tell him to check with Connie Cushing http://www.cushing-malloy.com/ She is an offshore enthusiast and may be able to help.

Ratickle
04-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Tell him to check with Connie Cushing http://www.cushing-malloy.com/ She is an offshore enthusiast and may be able to help.

We could pre-sell quite a few on here I would think...

Hot for Teacher
04-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Ordered mine with the dvd....

MarylandMark
04-11-2009, 07:48 PM
we could pre-sell quite a few on here i would think...

+1

Top Banana
04-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Thank you I will.

And thank you to everyone who has responded to John's hour of need here....it shows him that he is still respected in the offshroe community and appreciated for such a great labor of love in creating such a great book.

We will get the books out to you on Monday.

cosmic12
04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Just ordered mine with the DVD. I can't wait.

go4broke
04-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Ordered mine

Rexone
04-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Just ordered mine too.

Pete B
04-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I have had one for several years now, very good book. I remember as a kid reading John's articles in Powerboat Magazine.

Top Banana
04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks again to all who have reached out to help John.

There are some free screensavers on the first page of the HORBA site as a..... Thank You.

DON'T click to enter......just wait a couple of seconds and a slide show of screen savers will start.

Top Banana
04-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Books to be shipped out today for those that ordered over the weekend.

Ratickle
04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Charlie, how many more do you need to move?

Top Banana
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Charlie, how many more do you need to move?

John said he had about 125 that he had at that storage place. Probably 20 have gone so far.

If anyone has a retail store, they could buy the book at the 1/2 price amount and make a good return selling at full price.

redhotsommer
04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, I love to read, I love history, and I love offshore boats...so I guess I HAD to get one!

DonMan
04-13-2009, 11:22 PM
I just ordered mine. Can`t wait to read it.

RACESDAD
04-14-2009, 09:29 AM
bought 2

RACESDAD
04-14-2009, 09:29 AM
it is time for a new book too

Top Banana
04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
it is time for a new book too

I am workng on a coffe table photo book with my youngest son, who is a professional photographer in NYC.

It will be called...Blue Water Warriors and will have 100 photos from the 50's, 60's and 70's....... many of these photos have never been seen before and are in color.

glassdave
04-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks Charlie, just got mine today. That was some fast shipping :cool:

J-Bonz
04-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Just order me ones

DoTheMath
04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Ordered mine yesterday... looking forward to it! :cool:

Thanks Charlie.

-Mark-

sellsman11
04-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Got my copy yesterday. Very cool stuff!!!:cool: Thanks again!!

TCEd
04-17-2009, 05:53 PM
My copy has a lot of pages stuck together. They can be seperated but you need to go slow doing it. Not complaining just want everyone to know in case they get one in the same condition.
ed

Traviss
04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Had the same issue, took my time as I flipped through it lookin at the great pics! :)

Top Banana
04-17-2009, 08:49 PM
The book has been sealed in that plastic since the publisher made them in 1989....that is 20 years....so be patient.

First let the air get at the pages and slowly fan them, they will begin to open up ....then when you get down to the few that do stick together....SLOWLY put a butter knife between them and slide it down and the pages will come apart without damage.

Patient and slow is the key..... and you will have a masterpiece to enjoy for years to come.

Also for those who ordered the DVD....it comes from a different place and I will check on Monday to make sure they all went out to those who ordered.

Trim'd Up
04-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Mine was stuck together too, but it is a very cool book. I am not that patient though and I did slightly tear a couple of pages. :(

cosmic12
04-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Got mine friday, I have flipped through what I could and will wait it out to see if they come unstuck, gona be a tough wait I can tell ya that. Thanks looks like a great read. Just wondering outloud here, but I ordered and payed for the DVD also and that didn't come with it, Will it be shipped later?

Griff
04-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Just ordered 2

Also passed the info along on MWBP.

go4broke
04-18-2009, 08:37 PM
I ordered sunday, got it today. Must have been humid in storage. Smells musty and has more stuck pages than a playboy in a frat house. GREAT book though! Thanks!

cosmic12
04-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I have had mine sitting for 3 days now and today spent over an hour pulling page's apart in the sun and only got about 1/3 of it open. This isn't fun at all and the text is sticking to pics and other pages and vice versa. Not good sorry to say.

Top Banana
04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
I have had mine sitting for 3 days now and today spent over an hour pulling page's apart in the sun and only got about 1/3 of it open. This isn't fun at all and the text is sticking to pics and other pages and vice versa. Not good sorry to say.

If you want to return the book, no problem we will give you a full refund.

These books were printed and sealed, first in plastic and then inside a cardboard shipping box...20 years ago...1989. They have been in Florida.....you remember a couple of major hurricanes and some minor ones...well they had to live through all of that too.

If everyone just opens them in a slow and patient manner....there are no problems. Once the air gets in between the pages, they start to air out and in a short time will become your favorite book to reach for.

Remember it is over 6 lbs alone and has over 600 pages, linen cover. There is no motorsport that has been ever covered as well as offshore racing is with this book. Not NASCAR, F1, Indy cars, Drags....you will have the best motorsports book out there.

In 1989, the book sold for $70.00.....you are buying at 50% off, never mind the inflation over the past 20 years.

cosmic12
04-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't want to return it I am working on it slowly. I ordered and got charged for the DVD also and that didn't come. Is it shipping at a later date?

Top Banana
04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't want to return it I am working on it slowly. I ordered and got charged for the DVD also and that didn't come. Is it shipping at a later date?

Books came from John in Florida and the DVD's come out of RI.....I'll ck for you to make sure you and anyone else had their DVD part of the order filled.

cosmic12
04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Books came from John in Florida and the DVD's come out of RI.....I'll ck for you to make sure you and anyone else had their DVD part of the order filled.

Thank you, Thats kinda what I figured.

go4broke
04-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Its a great book. Huge. I got all the pages seperated with only 2 small 1/4" tears.

A good deal at that price. I will say that $70 for it 20 years ago explains why there is a bunch left over today. I'm glad there were though, its a very cool coffee table book.

Top Banana
04-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Finally somebody has put together the link here..........There are actual movies of all this stuff ......yes, we are now getting orders for the DVD's that show some of the races and the boats that John covered so well in his book.

Click on the site and you can see the many offerings that Big Seas has for so many various types of boats and eras of the offshore racing world.

Once again for a free screen saver....when you first click on don't click to enter and you will get a slide show of screen savers from different eras of racing.

cosmic12
04-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Got the DVD today, I know what I will be doing tonght!!! THANKS!!!!!!!

Trim'd Up
04-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Damn, I should have bought the DVD too. Let me know how it is. mine was stuck together and musty, but I am not returning it. Very cool book, and a nice price.

richanton
05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Am I the only one who ordered a book but never got it? I was charged by paypal on April 15, but still nothing.

Top Banana, who should I contact?

DonMan
05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
I got my book within a few days and yes, my book smelled musty and had several pages stuck together. Mine came sealed in plastic and I immediately realized that it had probably been this way in storage for 20 years. Per my lovely wife`s advice, I opened the book up and sat it on a table in one of the warmer rooms in our house. I was patient and after 3 days or so, I carefully opened each page one by one. After a couple hours of looking at all of the amazing photos, I had unstuck each page.

The book is now the highlight of our main living room coffee table. All guests -- boaters and non-boaters have picked it up and looked through the pages. Everyone finds it hard to put down.

THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO OWN SUCH A GRAND PIECE OF OFFSHORE HISTORY.

Top Banana
05-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Am I the only one who ordered a book but never got it? I was charged by paypal on April 15, but still nothing.

Top Banana, who should I contact?

Send me a PM with your name and address. All books were sent with a Delivery confirmation.....we can track it that way.

Quinlan
05-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Had mine a couple of months now. Great history of our sport! and I am only to 1971.
Some of the pages have been stuck together but patience is all it take to seperate.
Like a good vintage let it Breathe.

The videos ROCKED!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the history lesson.

Quinlan

Top Banana
05-21-2009, 06:16 PM
THANK YOU............

JOHN SAYS THAT THERE ARE JUST 9 BOOKS LEFT AT THIS REDUCED PRICE.......

NOW OR NEVER ......Remember there was just one printing in 1989.

I have seen the book on e-bay for over $500. John just needs to get rid of this lot, then the price goes back up to $70.00

Thanks again for everyone helping John out of his storage problem.

Ratickle
05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
THANK YOU............

I have seen the book on e-bay for over $500. John just needs to get rid of this lot, then the price goes back up to $70.00

How is John doing now?

C M R
05-21-2009, 06:52 PM
THANK YOU............

NOW OR NEVER ......

Ordered a copy yesterday, looking forward to getting it!

Top Banana
05-21-2009, 08:35 PM
How is John doing now?

John is almost 80 years old now....he still has a great sense of humor and he is still as opiniated as ever about certain things...the President, the economy, Democrats, skinny girls.....you know everything that he comes across, he has his own take on it.

Memory is not as good short term, but he can still give you dates and places of things that happened at the 1958 Miami to Nassau race.

Not many people know that he was crew on the winning boat one year with Sam Griffith.

He has about given up trying to find a publisher for his second book and HORBA will probably end up with the manuscript...problem is no publisher believes there is really a market of interest out there for this stuff.

He appreciates the show of support from the offshroe community in helping him with these extra copies and says to give his best to everyone.

Excalibur Racing
05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Ordered mine on Friday, got the book and DVD deal, can't wait to get them.

Top Banana
05-26-2009, 12:08 PM
THANK YOU............

All books are gone....Thank You!!!

AIR TIME
05-26-2009, 12:18 PM
OOPS I order one today will they still charge my mastercard it says it went threw:26:, or will not charge me thanks art.

Excalibur Racing
05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I payed through PayPal, so am I getting one?

Top Banana
05-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Orders through today will be honored....your books are on their way.