PDA

View Full Version : Best Recessionary Business

Tommy Gun
04-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Who busy and making $$$ in this business environment????

Auto Parts / Repair?

Fast Food?

Jewlery?

Cain8768
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Real Estate!

Interest rates are low and foreclosures are cheap. I buy and rent out.

Tony
04-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Rental Properties

All theese people loosing their homes in forclosure have to live somwhere.

Any other type of "maintain" vs. buy new business.

Tommy Gun
04-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Rental Properties

All theese people loosing their homes in forclosure have to live somwhere.

Any other type of "maintain" vs. buy new business.

Examples??? Really, I want to know what is working now. I have some rental homes, what else is working?

Cash Bar
04-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Examples??? Really, I want to know what is working now. I have some rental homes, what else is working?

I have several example of buy-and-rent clients. I am dealing with 3 right now buying in certain older areas for $70-80k. Putting in $5-10k in cosmetics and renting for $1300-$1800 depending on the rooms. Not to mention the one that is buying same price range, doing same repairs, and reselling for $10-25k profit in a short time.

I also can assure you that the rental market in S. Fla is crazy. I have been chasing an nicer rental home for a client for 2+ weeks. Everytime we make an offer it's either rented, or someone offers more.

My new site almost live. I will let you know TommyGun.

04-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I have several example of buy-and-rent clients. I am dealing with 3 right now buying in certain older areas for $70-80k. Putting in $5-10k in cosmetics and renting for $1300-$1800 depending on the rooms. Not to mention the one that is buying same price range, doing same repairs, and reselling for $10-25k profit in a short time.

I also can assure you that the rental market in S. Fla is crazy. I have been chasing an nicer rental home for a client for 2+ weeks. Everytime we make an offer it's either rented, or someone offers more.

My new site almost live. I will let you know TommyGun.

Put me on that list too. :drool5:

Cash Bar
04-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Will do.

For the record, I don't call this the turn-around, I call it an opportunity. Grab the better properties now, everyone will be trying to later.

TIKI
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I would think the repo guys are doing well now.

ChiefApache
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
We own a carpet/upholstery cleaning janitorials, supplier of paper products (paper towels chemicals etc), waxes etc and our buiness is thankfully doing very well.

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 09:48 AM
My new printing biz is doing well. seems people need signs and advertising to go out of business too.:boxing_smiley:

Ratickle
04-09-2009, 09:51 AM
My new printing biz is doing well. seems people need signs and advertising to go out of business too.:boxing_smiley:

Not sure that's a good thing, but congratulations...:)

Wrinkleface
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Hookers!!!!:03:

MattBMiller
04-09-2009, 10:17 AM
My uncle owns an auto/RV repair and towing company and is slammed right now.

LaughingCat
04-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Bankruptcy attorney

Repo man

Hooker. . . cheap hooker

LaughingCat
04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Oh, I almost forgot. . . Process Server

phragle
04-09-2009, 11:09 AM
medical..... pretty much unaffected.

Ted
04-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Careful with auto repair, we are seeing a lot of shops starving and doing anything to survive.

Ridin Hood
04-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Home Health!! The population is getting older!!

Big Time
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
My dad's restaurant seems to be doing welll...it's not an upscale place, just your burger and beer type joint with a real loyal following. People in this area are cutting out the caviar and champagne, but don't mind "splurging" on burgers and a pitcher of beer. His place is going to be featured on Diners Drive Ins and Dives in May I beleive, will have to let everyone know when it is on. Business should go up after that as well.

Tommy Gun
04-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Home Health!! The population is getting older!!

I see there are alot of home health franchises...is this what you're speaking of?

Ms PatriYacht
04-09-2009, 12:34 PM

that's not true around here, unemployment means no health or dental insurance. A ton of stuff done is somewhat elective. Such as joint replacement's, vein treatments, cosmetic procedures, a lot of dental work, some people will get a tooth pulled rather than an expensive crown, orthodontics. Most hospitals will tell you they are sort of slow. Every dentist I know around here says his practice is way down.

RichL
04-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I think many of the answers here are somewhat dependent on the three L's.

Location, Location, Location

Airpacker
04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Careful with auto repair, we are seeing a lot of shops starving and doing anything to survive.

The good thing is the poorly managed shops will disappear and the stronger ones will not only survive but thrive on the cars those other shops no longer service.

Traditionally, 3 to 5 yrs of gold mine follow a recession period in the auto service business.

I am hoping that tradition continues because my retirement fund needs a serious top up now. Went from working on freedom 55 to freedom 75 within 6 months :)

masher44
04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
There is a bunch of home remodeling businesses around the lake doing really well. Instead of buying new, people are staying put and updating.

MattBMiller
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
The good thing is the poorly managed shops will disappear and the stronger ones will not only survive but thrive on the cars those other shops no longer service.

Traditionally, 3 to 5 yrs of gold mine follow a recession period in the auto service business.

Exactly

sledge
04-09-2009, 01:36 PM
funeral home/undertaker

RichL
04-09-2009, 01:37 PM
There is a bunch of home remodeling businesses around the lake doing really well. Instead of buying new, people are staying put and updating.

Not the case in our area.

LaughingCat
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
welfare recipient

38fountainSC
04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I just seen on the news hospitals closing down.

wantingmore
04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
We are extremely busy! We do individual health insurance primarily. We're writing a lot of people whose employers are doing away with their group policies to save $. Then you have the ones that got laid off, but can't afford the Cobra. Then there are those that have increased renewals. Then there's Medicare supplements for people turning 65 (lot of that down here), etc, etc, etc.

The most satisfying thing is we're saving people money and making some at the same time. Truly a win-win.

We've grown from 7 agents in Jan. to 42 currently on the way to 125+ by the end of the year! Business is great!:sifone:

JupiterSunsation
04-09-2009, 07:30 PM

I know a guy buying out closed shops for 10 cents on the dollar. Daytona recently lost a Cadillac dealer that had been around for years. He buys the compressors/ lifts/ tools whatever and then sets up new shops for independent owners. You would not believe the stuff he has been getting. He travels with a crew of guys and can strip out a shop in a day or two. They take everything from new 50 gallon drums of oil to the paper towels......

JupiterSunsation
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
that's not true around here, unemployment means no health or dental insurance. A ton of stuff done is somewhat elective. Such as joint replacement's, vein treatments, cosmetic procedures, a lot of dental work, some people will get a tooth pulled rather than an expensive crown, orthodontics. Most hospitals will tell you they are sort of slow. Every dentist I know around here says his practice is way down.

100% right on......

My wife is a nurse recruiter for an international company, jobs are off 40% due to lack of demand.

Blue Oval
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Hookers!!!!:03:
A good lawyer,a good tax man to hide your non-taxed money somewhere.Send the local Police Chief on a cruise, start rolling in the $$$$:sifone:

drpete3
04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I am an optometrist (3 dr office)and we are up this year and have been up every year since 1991. My brothers a dentist and has a 9 month waiting list and his practice is only abou t5 years old. I am just counting my blessings and doing the best job of taking care of people I can. I think thats a business plan that works.

BY U BOY
04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Day care.

cosmic12
04-09-2009, 10:55 PM
We move Hospitals and do Custom installations of equip. There are only 3 Companys that do this and we are the top. We have more work than we can handle and turn alot away to the other 2. There are alot of new Hospitals being built and adding on of old all over the country. Believe me the Med industry isn't hurting.

RedDog382
04-09-2009, 11:50 PM

Very untrue, my friend. University Medical Center in Las Vegas was just the topic of a 60 Minutes special. 90 million budget shortage and closing outpatient chemotherapy clinic, pre-natal services, etc. After 1 year, I just became elgible for profit-sharing based on productivity. There will likely be none this quarter despite cutting staff to only two docs after 3AM in a 75,000 visit ED. I just worked 12 of the last 14 nights and got my a$$ handed to me trying to keep up. When the few paying patients loose their insurance, it's not good ...

RedDog382
04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
We move Hospitals and do Custom installations of equip. There are only 3 Companys that do this and we are the top. We have more work than we can handle and turn alot away to the other 2. There are alot of new Hospitals being built and adding on of old all over the country. Believe me the Med industry isn't hurting.

Problem is all the profits of private hospitals are going in the pockets of the CEO's. The CEO of a "non-profit" network in Toledo (a rapidly declinining city) put $10,000,000 in his pocket in 2007 sitting behind a desk 9-4 M-R. I won't see that in my lifetime saving people's life every night/weekend/holiday.

RedDog382
04-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Who busy and making $$$ in this business environment????

Auto Parts / Repair?

My best friend has an automotive repair shop in Cincinnati, Ohio. He has laid off his only remaining employee and is working on the cars himself to keep the doors open. One would think the repair business would be booming as people are not buying new cars, but not so. People are driving their cars into the ground until the wheels fall off before repairing/maintaining them.

phragle
04-10-2009, 12:27 AM
the medical industry isn't down volume wise..it's down reimbursment wise. people will always get sick and or do stupid things breaking themselves.

RedDog382
04-10-2009, 12:38 AM
the medical industry isn't down volume wise..it's down reimbursment wise. people will always get sick and or do stupid things breaking themselves.

Obama wants to tax "income" gained from even bartering like they used to do in the old days. Can't tell you how many steak dinners I've had just for writing someone a script out here.

Sure, people will ALWAYS need healthcare. Are you going to work for free ...?

phragle
04-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Well...I work for free at the races I do..actually since it costs me money to go to the races to work rescue/medical..I pay to work for free. Aside from that I do need to eat and I would like a bigger faster boat. Hopefully when I finish nursing school I will be able to boat and eat....

Trim'd Up
04-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I have a friend that owns a Towing company that has started doing repos on the side and he is extremely busy. He claims that he has made more money of repos so far this year than he made ALL of last year in his regular towing business.