PDA

View Full Version : Powerboating Magazines - Your Views

H2O Full Throttle
04-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Just thought I would start a thread covering what you like and dont like about the various powerboat industry magazines out there.

So if you have a minute or two post your thoughts. Always good feedback for people like me behind them to see what readers like.

Cheers

Ned

Sunsation96
04-06-2009, 11:21 PM
At this time I would have to say pictures are always great to stare at. The most important to me would be to deliver magazine. I have paid for a few boating magazines lately and the delivery of one never came but once and the second is hit and miss. Oh' and the best thing is the reader rides show off all the hard work readers put into thier boats and not always drag boats no offense but it gets boring.

rschap1
04-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Don't like taking over an established mag that I used to LOVE. Dragging the old owners through the mud. Blaming all shortcomings on the old owner/publisher, Then taking everyone's sub $$ and folding.

Mostly just miss what used to be.

But if were talking a "fresh start" preferences type of question here...As much as I enjoy the million dollar projects, and 1/2 million dollar new boats, I really like stuff that gets done by those "less" privelaged, like myself. Not so much total restorations and re-dos. But some simplier mods and enhancements. Weekend and/or off season projects. Maybe real install of headers and exhaust, replacing controls, tossing out Bennetts for Kplanes, or installing the hyd. steering. Then flip the page to see someone's fresh 175 mph Skater:)

rainmn
04-07-2009, 08:09 AM
I'd have to agree with Sunsation96 that getting the magazine you subscribed to is pretty high up on the list. :sifone:

One thing I've noticed about Powerboat that bugs me a little are the boat tests / reviews. After you've read a bunch, they start to seem like they're written on a form letter:

Engines were through bolted...wiring neatly supported in cushion clamps...rubrail was installed straight....blah blah blah.

At first I thought there was only so much they could say, but I read car magazines too, and I've never gotten that "form letter" feel from their road tests.

It's not going to make me stop reading the magazine, but it is getting a little boring to read. I also wish they would just come out and say what they don't like, rather than try to find something positive to say about a boat you can tell they hate by reading between the lines.

As far as what I like, Extreme Boats always seemed to have some great articles on events around the country (or world.) With the current state of racing, even the articles about a poker run or shootout tend to interest me more than those on races.

Sunsation96
04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Mostly just miss what used to be.

But if were talking a "fresh start" preferences type of question here...As much as I enjoy the million dollar projects, and 1/2 million dollar new boats, I really like stuff that gets done by those "less" privelaged, like myself. Not so much total restorations and re-dos. But some simplier mods and enhancements. Weekend and/or off season projects. Maybe real install of headers and exhaust, replacing controls, tossing out Bennetts for Kplanes, or installing the hyd. steering. Then flip the page to see someone's fresh 175 mph Skater:)[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree::iagree: What I think is the issue is, advertising that is paid for by the manufacturers tend to be all positive on the reviews. I would think that it is a fine line between making the manufacturer happy to keep thier advertising dollar$ and reporting on the product to the end user and keep the end user happy also.

cosmic12
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
I want TRUTH in reviews, More reader rides, More how too's, subscrit's that show up, Coverage of the poker runs that the little guys do not just the big money runs that are for the million dollar boats. Big full page glossy pics of the same Money boats over and over suck. Just make it for the average Joe that loves the water and fun in the sun. There is life before MTI---Skater--Nor-teh----Cig----OL ect-ect.

Magic Medicine
04-07-2009, 08:39 AM
I do not like to see the same boat test month after month year after year, there are tons of different boat manufactures test some new stuff already. I like the coverage of poker runs and various events around the country. I also like to see the restore threads and or the upgrades that someone can overtake themselves. I do not know why they test wakeboard boards in a perf mag???? I like getting my mag every month and on time. Us Nothern subscribers need some reading material to keep us busy in the spring.

Offshore Ginger
04-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I just got this month's mag look in kinda thin .:rofl:

Sean Stinson
04-07-2009, 08:52 AM
They cover the same thing with different lipstick.......I would like to see more people from the boating world actual day to day people covered or Bio'ed

Ratickle
04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
In depth interviews I always read. Doesn't matter whether they're about a leader in the industry, a racer, or someone who spent time restoring or upgrading a boat.

Hated it, and still do, when they went to the bigger size. WTF? Have storage boxes, book shelves, magazine storage cubicles for shelves, binders where I cut out and put the best How To's in with tabs, etc. And they change the sizes so they don't fit??????:boxing_smiley:

Wish they had more articles about restorations and modifications. Like Fund's boat etc. Or Bounty Hunter in Key West. Look how that thread went on here.

And of course the races and Poker Runs. It does seem like in the Poker Run articles only the big boys get interviewed and hilighted. Be nice if they always picked one from the next lower tier, or someone on their first run, and found out about them.

And I always read Teague On Tech in Powerboat and IO Performance on HotBoat. I have articles in binders from early 1970's on tecnical stuff from both mags.

And , last I'm stopping, I really used to love the Annual Powerboat Performance Reports vs the new every mag ones. I still have everyone in seperate boxes from the others. I know it can't be done that way anymore, but it would be very nice if someone would do a comparison once a year of all the boats they tested throughout the year in comparable classes instead of just a rewards synopsis.

Tom A.
04-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I agree with what everyone else has said. I would like to see them add more pictures as well. Show me the close ups of the good detail work, overall exterior, Interior and cockpits. Action shots are great and should be on the cover and start each article but also include the informative pics.

cigdaze
04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Bottom line, I'm looking for honesty. The advertiser-driven love-fest is so transparent, and totally useless to the average reader.

Two of my favorite magazines are Boat-U.S. and Seaworthy. They present simple, unadulterated information to boaters. They also get into things which help boaters to stay abreast of all happenings in boating worldwide - from government affairs, to simple do-it-yourself project work, to insurance and safety trends, to current events. Good stuff! I think that performance boating mags can learn a thing or two from those publications.

I also thoroughly love the website yachtsurvey.com
Information like that would be golden presented in monthly columns.

BRAD SCHOENWALD
04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
They cover the same thing with different lipstick.......I would like to see more people from the boating world actual day to day people covered or Bio'ed

It is coming. I have pushed for exactly this and you are going to see it soon. Of course in the other mag and website.

Top Banana
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I have offered to the different boating magazines FREE CONTENT, from our HORBA files about the history of the sport of offshore racing......I got a lot of promises with no follow up.

I even offered to do a FREE page each month, that will show a photo and give a little history behind it....again..NADA. It seems if it doesn't involve a present advertiser, they have no interest.

For instance.....We are all familiar with the famous Michelob Light boat of Joey Ippolito. It was spnsored by Bernie Little, a Florida Budweiser distributor and owner of Miss Budweiser, the famous Unlimited Hydroplane.

BUT did you know that the first time Bernie Little sponsored an offshore boat, it was this 36 foot Cigarette that Bobby Rautbord used for his World Championship run. The boat had been in storage for over a year and Bernie had Willie Meyers and Knocky House (Don Aronow's crewman) run the boat under the Budweiser sponsorsip....that was the start of it all.

PARADOX
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
It's alway nice to hear classic stories Charlie..

I ordered two mags from the Ft. Lauderdale show last year. Non came.
I gave up on them.
I also don't want to see the same stuff month after month. Hundreds of pictures of the same boats.. same people.. same companies.. etc.. etc.
Some one with some $'s and boating savie should get a new publication going.

"IE... Serious Offshore Monthly. >>>> Your boating guide, offshore, on lakes, rivers and land.

pullmytrigger
04-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Ive subscribed to PB for like 10 yrs now......I feel since the new editor took over it is def getting better......as above I too feel there is WAY too much coverage on 1/2 mill & mill dollar boats.....great photos.

However they have said on more than one occasion that the Performance Report tests are open to every manufacturer but the same companies keep showing up.......some more input from the industry wouldn't hurt

I think an annual prop shootout should be a given, like what the H?.....a different size/ boat combo every year (cat/vee big/small) so eventually everyone gets covered and put some hopped up props in there too like from Throttle UP (delivered by Julie in a bikini of course:)) and BBlades etc

I think they should have all kinds of different shootouts like drive oil, k planes, exhaust (my fav), trailer locks, trailers, gauges, anchors etc......they do have comparisons but its always a "tell you about" each product, they rarely compare one against the other, feature to feature.......they need to look at some of the Motocross mags to see how to run a shootout......there's winners and losers in black and white......makes for stronger products IMO

And I feel there should be a project boat going on at all times, again cat/vee big/small.....they did well with Tanks boat, they just need to keep it going

FLYING FISH
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
With regard to Post 1,H20 Mag Ned,I would love to know why you never reply to `e` mails requesting the mag when you have banked 2 years subscription off me and as yet I have only received issue 10 & 11,back in November.Never known such a flog to receive a powerboat magazine,despite chasing your editor in the UK.When is Issue 12 likely to be published in the UK.One issue every 6 months is a bit sparse considering there are supposed to be 6/year.

BlackJack58
04-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Looking at parallels, see what car magazines like Hot Rod and Car Craft used to do with cars - showing all the restorations and projects that people were working on; things that people of moderate means can do. Mixing in a few big-dollar boats is OK, because people like to be inspired by the newest and the best. They are great sources for ideas, especially if one is updating an older boat. Running review-after-review of 250k+ boats, however, will soon make you irrelevant to most people.

Fair, honest coverage of new products, tech, racing and poker runs is always a winner. Of course, you need good photography. Coverage of people, unique personalities and places is definitely needed. Gives flavor and "puts a face" on the sport/activity.

It's tough in this market. Producing and printing a paper magazine isn't cheap; the Internet is tough competition as well, since sites can be updated almost every day (I try to do it) and can be more interactive. Lower cost of entry, too.

Maybe a print model more like Rodders Journal is where you should be looking. Extremely high quality production - something that's made to be kept/collected; justifies a higher price, too. Slightly different approach - just needs tweaking for this demo.

Good Luck.

GENERAL LEE
04-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Just thought I would start a thread covering what you like and dont like about the various powerboat industry magazines out there.

So if you have a minute or two post your thoughts. Always good feedback for people like me behind them to see what readers like.

Cheers

Ned

Well, I don't like the fact I purchased a 2 year subscription to your magazine, without ever receiving an issue. I tried contacting your staff multiple times, as well as a PM the other day when YOU asked us to contact you with problems..... and I have NEVER received an issue....

You asked! :seeya:

-Brandon Lee

RichL
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Two of my favorite magazines are Boat-U.S. and Seaworthy. They present simple, unadulterated information to boaters. They also get into things which help boaters to stay abreast of all happenings in boating worldwide - from government affairs, to simple do-it-yourself project work, to insurance and safety trends, to current events. Good stuff! I think that performance boating mags can learn a thing or two from those publications.

I though I was the only one reading those.

cigdaze
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I though I was the only one reading those.
Good stuff isn't it? I pride myself on being a boater first, and a go-fast boater second. In light of all the recent tragedies and misfortunes, I like to stay as educated on boating matters as I can.
:)

RichL
04-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Good stuff isn't it? I pride myself on being a boater first, and a go-fast boater second. In light of all the recent tragedies and misfortunes, I like to stay as educated on boating matters as I can.

I'm with you on that.

cigdaze
04-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Easy there, fellas...

cigdaze
04-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys. Cheers.