PDA

View Full Version : My baby tried to kill me today

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:17 PM
This is the 2nd time this year that a woman has tried to kill me .got to the marina, had the boat put in the water, batteries were dead(left the switch on) jump start, filled the tank, idled out for twenty minutes then jumped up on plane, was standing till she got on plane then sat down and the gas fumes were overwhelming, my buddy goes back and opens the hatch into the bilge where the batteries are (outboard boat) and there is 12 gallons of gas sloshing around the batteries ( I know this because that is how much went into the buckets) so I come off plane and turn back to the marina s h i t t ing bricks , my hands and knees are shaking so bad I can barely steer, turned off all electronics and idled back 25 -30 minutes , probably should have jumped ship but made it back to the docks, did not even bother to put it in reverse just turned it off and hit the dock hard .

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
got the fork lift driver to put it on a work rack, top of the tank (aluminum) is split took out the drain plug and emptied 12 gallons of fuel into a bucket , siphoned out the rest into jerry cans and put it into the other boat. this boat must have found out about the other boat and decided to kill us all (womens is like that) I probably won't s h i t for a week. now I need a new fuel tank , who do I go to ? some pics (this is my never breaks down reliable boat)

Ratickle
04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
This is the 2nd time this year that a woman has tried to kill me .got to the marina, had the boat put in the water, batteries were dead(left the switch on) jump start, filled the tank, idled out for twenty minutes then jumped up on plane, was standing till she got on plane then sat down and the gas fumes were overwhelming, my buddy goes back and opens the hatch into the bilge where the batteries are (outboard boat) and there is 12 gallons of gas sloshing around the batteries ( I know this because that is how much went into the buckets) so I come off plane and turn back to the marina s h i t t ing bricks , my hands and knees are shaking so bad I can barely steer, turned off all electronics and idled back 25 -30 minutes , probably should have jumped ship but made it back to the docks, did not even bother to put it in reverse just turned it off and hit the dock hard .

Holy crap Bobcat, what the heck happened?

Ratickle
04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
got the fork lift driver to put it on a work rack, top of the tank (aluminum) is split took out the drain plug and emptied 12 gallons of fuel into a bucket , siphoned out the rest into jerry cans and put it into the other boat. this boat must have found out about the other boat and decided to kill us all (womens is like that) I probably won't s h i t for a week. now I need a new fuel tank , who do I go to ? some pics (this is my never breaks down reliable boat)

Now I know, too quick on the questions........

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
some pics

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
more , fund razor must have left a bucket at garrison bight marina

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:28 PM
that is the scariest time I have had since the military !!!!!:(

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I am not afraid to die, I am afraid to be burned half to death and live !

Ratickle
04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
that is the scariest time I have had since the military !!!!!:(

Be very thankful it wasn't an IO or inboard boat and that you don't smoke.....:sifone: (Like this little guy).

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:31 PM
2009 has been a b i t c h so far

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:32 PM
I still smell gas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ack2:

Ratickle
04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I still smell gas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ack2:

Go for a swim, and buy a lotto ticket...

It's your frigin lucky day.....

RPM
04-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Go for a swim, and buy a lotto ticket...

:rofl::rofl:

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I am keeping my boating experiences to old miami vice episodes until 2010 .

MacGyver
04-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Bob, You dodged a bullet today. Glad you made it through unharmed.

Tony
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
About 4 years ago my dad bought a 25 Wellcraft near Tampa and hauled it down to Sunshine Key. 2 days later I get down there and we spend the day fishing on the reef. We get back into the marina and I go down to the cabin and the gas smell almost knocks my head off. We pull the hatches up and the fuel level in the bilge is almost up to the batterey posts :eek: mind you we had just returned from the reef in moderate seas. We pulled the boat, drained bucket after bucket of fuel from the bilge, removed the tank and a screw head had wedged itself into a corner of the fuel tank cavity and worn a hole in the tank. We had a guy in Marathon weld the spot and stuffed the tank back in the boat.

Magic Medicine
04-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Wow that is crazy, glad everything went well and you made it back to the dock

BUIZILLA
04-05-2009, 05:35 PM
friend of mine just had this happen in a newer 20 Mako, he was following it on a trailer in the upper keys when the bilge pump kicked on and sprayed fuel all over the car next to it on the highway... talk about freaked out.... probably pumped out 35 gallons before he could get it pulled over and shut off the battery switch... we drained another 28 gallons when he got home... the tank corroded from underneath due to bilge water getting around the foam and saturating it, pi$$ poor construction methods... :ack2:

rbhudelson
04-05-2009, 05:37 PM
go for a swim, and buy a lotto ticket...

+1

MarylandMark
04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
buy a lotto ticket...

+1 and remember me if WE hit

Scarab KV
04-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Holy $hit dude. Scary stuff. Glad it all worked out.
BTW....I'll pass on a boat ride when we're down there:D

old377guy
04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
geez louise!!!!!!

catmando
04-05-2009, 07:00 PM
that is the scariest time I have had since the military !!!!!:(Don't worry about that now, just head to the nearest lotto store. You're gonna hit I just know it!

Glad you weren't hurt or worse.

Wrinkleface
04-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Have we got a Gino Junior story here?????:26:Glad ya didn't blow up Dude! What would all those Les softball chicks do w/out ya!!!!:rofl::seeya:

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Have we got a Gino Junior story here?????:26:Glad ya didn't blow up Dude! What would all those Les softball chicks do w/out ya!!!!:rofl::seeya:

stay with their girlfriends as usual:26::26:

Tinkerer
04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Went with a friend for a boat ride ( he just got it back from the repair shop ) I smelled gas - raised the hatch and found gas pouring out of the lower screw holes on the Holley DP carbs. The idiots didn't tighten the screws and they fell out. ( they were laying on the intake manifold )

Tom A.
04-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Had that happen to me when the sender mount on the top of the tank cracked. Gas was pouring out the top of the tank after I filled it up pooling in the bilge. Thankfully I was able to plug the leak, dumped about a gallon of liquid soap in the bilge and idled back to the marina.

Dude! Sweet!
04-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Sounds like you had a big day bud! I pulled the motor on my boat yesterday. Canoe races anyone! :D

You gonna have to cut the floor to get the tank out?

Still better than going to work! :D

Davidmnc
04-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Damn Bob. I am glad you didn't blow up. Just think of how many people in the beer industry would be laid off! :ack2:

Hilltop Kyle
04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Scary stuff man! Glad you came out of it OK.

Scarab KV
04-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Damn Bob. I am glad you didn't blow up. Just think of how many people in the beer industry would be laid off! :ack2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bobcat
04-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you had a big day bud! I pulled the motor on my boat yesterday. Canoe races anyone! :D

You gonna have to cut the floor to get the tank out?

Still better than going to work! :D

no it will come out through the hatch, must have been a mistake at the factory to be able to take it out that easy:sifone:

Scarab KV
04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
no it will come out through the hatch, must have been a mistake at the factory to be able to take it out that easy:sifone:

Somebody screwed up:D

MahopacMarine
04-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Glad you were ok. That is truly a scary thing. Definitely your lucky day.

Ratickle
04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Allright, got a question. What is the proper thing to do in that situation. Should we be carrying some kind of anti-gas to pour in the bilge?

glh
04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Close call...

dykstra
04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Glad you are OK!

phragle
04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
no worries, it's Bobcat... key term CAT... he has 9 lives :sifone:

Bobcat
04-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Allright, got a question. What is the proper thing to do in that situation. Should we be carrying some kind of anti-gas to pour in the bilge?

I think tom A. answered this with the dish soap, degreaser will also help, I think the smart thing would have been to abandon ship.

phragle
04-06-2009, 10:32 PM
drink more beer and pizz on the flames.... problem solved, NEXT!

Ratickle
04-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I think tom A. answered this with the dish soap, degreaser will also help, I think the smart thing would have been to abandon ship.

I'm gonna run a test. Quart of gas in a pan, big squirt of dishsoap, throw in a match.

Then same thing with degreaser. How far away should I stand when you throw in the match?:)

Dude! Sweet!
04-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I'll bet even without the dishsoap, the match goes out when you throw it in...

Davidmnc
04-06-2009, 10:55 PM

Depends on how long the gas is in the pan. If it is there long enough to start to vaporize.............you will have a nice fire. Be carfull.

phragle
04-06-2009, 10:57 PM
the liquid gas itself is not a problem, its the vapors that go boom.

Davidmnc
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
the liquid gas itself is not a problem, its the vapors that go boom.

Isn't that kind of what I said? :huh:

phragle
04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
while I was posting...

Davidmnc
04-06-2009, 11:09 PM
while I was posting...

My post was two minutes before yours! I hope you **** better than you type!!! :03:

Scarab KV
04-07-2009, 12:26 AM
i'm gonna run a test. Quart of gas in a pan, big squirt of dishsoap, throw in a match.

Then same thing with degreaser. How far away should i stand when you throw in the match?:)

boom ???

Ratickle
04-07-2009, 07:26 AM

I'll run a control test first. I figure it has to be a deep pan so fumes are between the fluid and clean air.

Too windy today, stay tuned.

Sean Stinson
04-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Bobcat glad you're here with us....I had the same thing happen with a 42 Tiger with blower motors smelled gas couldn't find it it ended up behind the plate in the cabin under the steps 50 gals to be exact....I feel your pain pal!!!!

tommymonza
04-07-2009, 09:12 AM
That 89 Octane aint flammmable Bobcat .

A little reprint of a Brownie story and his fuel woes.

We had a bunch of interesting races. One of my most memorable was the 1966 Miami-Nassau race. I had a 28' Donzi with a pair of 427 (Chevy) Turbocharged Daytonas on Casale V-drives, driving inboard standard shafts and props.. My co-pilot was Sam Sarra, chief engineer of Daytona. If you looked up 'crazy brilliant sonova*****' in the dictionary, his picture would be there. He had discovered that if you opened the scroll on the turbocharger, backpressure went down, horsepower went waaaay up, and getting on plane became a real chore. I made up a rig that consisted of a couple of ten pound CO2 extinguishers, upside down, with tubes squirting CO2 into the down side of the props. This ventilated the props, and let them spin like crazy, then get a solid bite. We only had enough CO2 for a couple of takeoffs.

We idled out the start of the race (about 45 open class boats) including the entire Mercury racing team, It was rougher than a *****. 5' head seas at the start and much bigger in the stream. We surprised everyone at the start, and held the lead for a while. When we neared Cat Cay, which required some maneuvering to get in the Gun Cay pass, I discovered that I couldn't turn the steering wheel or pull back the wide-open throttles. The exhaust risers had broken, and welded the steering and the throttle controls SOLID! To get through the cut, I shut off one motor, then the other to steer the boat. Sam climbed in the engine space (he threw the engine hatches overboard) and unhooked the throttles and tied lines to them from the cockpit . He tied the risers more-or-less back in place, and we headed to the Cat Cat harbor, where all the boats had to go to receive their customs papers, which were tied to a rock. If you got close enough tto the dock, they threw it into the boat. There must have been thirty boats in that tiny harbor when we came in, still steering by turning off and on the engines. What a mess. We hit about 15 boats 'low speed' and got out into clear water. with only 130 miles to go. I was about to witness a guy who never gives up.....

The steering was Morse 'rack & pinion' with cables down both sides of the boat, and behind the engines. It was a one-piece double cable, so that if one side stuck, the whole thing stuck. Sam got his Snap-on screwdriver and a 5 pound sledgehammer, and cut the tempered 1" diameter steering cable. He said "We gotta hurry, because the front gas tank is leaking, and we will run out of gas". Huh? I held the steering cable on the jackshaft, between the engine and the V-drive and Sam cut it using the screwdriver like a chisel. As he slammed it, little blue sparks would arc over into the little pool of 115-145 Avgas, and go out. We both got terribly seasick, but we did it. We fired that mother up and finished 13th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude! Sweet!
04-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Wild story! And Rat, come on! I dare ya! :D

JJ Apache
04-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Glad your ok. I saw first hand what happens when gas and spark meet....