PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Corvette exhaust

45Sonic
04-03-2009, 03:46 PM
We have a C5 Vette that I'd like to upgrade the exhaust from cat back. Looking for suggestions and suppliers

Sydwayz
04-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Corsa sounds awesome on the C5. That would be my recommendation. I think that Mark can get it for you and drop ship directly to you.

nthdegree
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.corvettefever.com/projectbuild/corp_0806_1963_ls7_corvette_split_personality/index.html

this guy looks like he did a decent exhaust........

Ratickle
04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Mine's a C4, but the Borla stainless are incredible. Nice rumble, better breathing. Look good too.

Slick02
04-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I had the Borlas Stingers on 2 different C5's, on the automatic car, they had a bad drone at cruising speeds, on the Z06 with a 6 speed you didn't notice it anywhere near as bad, I put the titanium Z06 factory exhaust on my exes 02 C5 automatic and it had a little tone but it picked up a really cool shreik about 3 grand when you were into the throttle hard.

MattBMiller
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I've installed a couple Corsa systems on C5's. Sounds pretty decent.

Sydwayz
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Bill/Patti... can't remember if you have a coupe or convertible.

Be advised aftermarket exhaust on a convertible is really, REALLY, loud; top up or down.

JETZ
04-08-2009, 04:49 AM
I have LG Pros, Xpipe, Radom Tech cats, everything JET-hot coated, running into Borla Quads.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=5627022051657989967

redhotsommer
04-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Bill/Patti... can't remember if you have a coupe or convertible.

Be advised aftermarket exhaust on a convertible is really, REALLY, loud; top up or down.

I'll have to remember to tell my dad...he's FINALLY getting an exhaust and a chip on his 99 convertible. Then again...he's gettin' old...he might not notice! :26:

Slick02
04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I loved the Corsa's above 2500 rpms,(had that indy car sound) but thought they sounded kinda wussy at an idle.(personal opinion not meant to offend anyone)

JETJOCK
04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
I went with CORSA for my C-6 Vette, I also have a Corsa on the Scarab

Seltzer
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
We have a C5 Vette that I'd like to upgrade the exhaust from cat back. Looking for suggestions and suppliers

I have some old gils you can have.:cheers2:

MattBMiller
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
but thought they sounded kinda wussy at an idle.

A new bumpstick will fix that problem....

baddogz28
04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I'd look into Corsa or B and B Tri-flow. They are both high quality, stainless systems that give a decent power increase, a good sound, and look good.

Slick02
04-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I had the B&B Tri-Flow's on a 2000 FRC that I had and out of all of the vette exhaust systems that I've wasted money on, I liked the overall sound of those the best, the Corsa's sounded fantastic above 2500 rpms but at an idle/low speeds (automatic car) they reminded me of a slant six Dodge with a straight pipe and unless you were gagging it the rpm's never came up enough to sound good. I had a set of the early Borla Stingers(with the LARGE single tips per side) and on my automatic car you couldn't hardly drive it the resonation was so bad, now when I got the Z06 I tried them on that it it wasn't anywhere near as bad because you could always find a different gear and change the resonation factor with the rpm's.
The titanium factory Z06 exhaust is a good cheap alternative over the factory mufflers on a standard C5, we put those on my exe's 02 C5 automatic car and she's happy compared to the stock exhaust.

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 08:42 AM
exhaust is worse than paint color. Everyone has a different opinion.

We installed a Mid America system on My Dad's '98 Pace Car. I think it was called power curve at the time, now it's been reworked and called quadra power or something.

System is loud as hell, we both like it. The only thing we don't like is the interior resonance at 90 MPH is so bad you can't hear the stereo. above or below 90 you are good to go. It's an Auto with the performance axle so that resonance will change depending on your car's setup.

Personally, if I did it over again, I'd take the car to a muffler shop and cut out the mufflers and just run straight pipe out the centers with either the stock tips or a set of nice tips. It will save a bunch of weight and keeping the resonator earlier in the system will knock the sound down. The resonance on straight pipe is minimal in my experience (on a few C4's anyway). Plus the whole job will probably cost you a hundred bucks so if you don't like it you can always buy a high end system later.

Every time I had this done the muffler shops said I would hate it. Friends said I would hate it. Then they heard it and wondered why the hell anyone would buy an aftermarket system. The last job on my '96 LT4 cost me $80 total. The shop knocked the stock tips off and welded them onto straight pipe for me on that job.

Slandrew
04-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Speaking of Vettes:seeya:

Slick02
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Vettelt193, you are very correct, exhaust is very subjective as to what people want/like etc, the best advice is to go to a car show heavy with Vettes and listen to some of them and then make your choice and lay your money down, I personally wasted some good money before I found something I was happy with.

JayFan
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I had Borla staight pipes on my c5....sounded kick ass, if you like loud. I now have Corsa on my c6. They are nice, but looking to get Bullets soon.

RollWithIt
04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Ive been going over the same debate myself.. I got an 01 also and want something more throaty than the factory pipes. I dont think you can really go wrong with Corsa, Borla, B&B, etc.. I am currently swaying towards the Corsa Extreme system. I am planning on going to some vette events this summer to have a listen though. Also, Lingenfelter puts Corsa exhaust on his package, so it cant be that bad... :)

VetteLT193
04-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I can't stress enough, if you really want to kick the sound up take it to a muffler shop. Have them take off the factory exhaust and run straight pipe out.

The cost is minimal and you can see if you like it for a while. worst case is you are out 100 bucks... but I have yet to find someone who doesn't keep it.

Better than that would be to weld a pip in to bypass the muffler, from the tips to the down pipe over the axle. add in some kind of flap or even a bolt in plate and you can change the sound at will be directing the flow through the muffler or out straight.

Borla made a system like that for the F body cars. came with a few plates, worked great.

MattBMiller
04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I can't stress enough, if you really want to kick the sound up take it to a muffler shop. Have them take off the factory exhaust and run straight pipe out.

The cost is minimal and you can see if you like it for a while. worst case is you are out 100 bucks... but I have yet to find someone who doesn't keep it.

Better than that would be to weld a pip in to bypass the muffler, from the tips to the down pipe over the axle. add in some kind of flap or even a bolt in plate and you can change the sound at will be directing the flow through the muffler or out straight.

Borla made a system like that for the F body cars. came with a few plates, worked great.

We've welded in a piece of pipe to bypass the muffler on a few Corvette's and F-Bodies. Another option is electric cut-outs before the muffler.

RollWithIt
04-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Here's my question about the straight pipes. Which I would have no problem doing. Would it affect the backpressure for the fuel injection system and the ECM?? I remember when I improved the air flow on my old camaro I had to remap the ecm for the fuel pressure.

tunnelvision69
04-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I have the billy boats on my 2000 with heads cam & long tubes no cats. the sound is wicked especially at higher rpm's but the drone around 60mph is pretty bad. automatic car with stock gears & converter.

JETJOCK
04-19-2009, 10:42 AM
How about a Mini Hawk?

anyone know much about them? I would love to have one painted up like my 38KV.