PDA

View Full Version : Conficker Worm April 1st Activates ???

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
So Peeps,

What do we do ?

Have you heard of this latest worm?

Sounds serious.

Then again, maybe it is just another Y2K fear ?

So glad I bought my MacBOOK Pro.

But I am really concerned for my XP on my desk tops. :ack2:

rbhudelson
03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
See thread titled "4/1/09 Computer Virus" a few threads down.

Not sure what the fuss is all about. But then I use macs also :03:

boostbros
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
windows update just wiped out my vista machine it locks you out and just keeps rebooting after update 3 of 3 0 percent message it prevents safe mode from working too! the tech guy from india asked me to borrow a freinds vista disk as my recovery vista oem disk will wipe out the drive how is it possable the worst computer trouble i have ever had is from microsoft?

Chris
03-31-2009, 07:48 PM
You need to download the program from Symantec BEFORE you get infected. One of the things the virus does is block the removal software from loading.

MacGyver
03-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I run Avast. No problem here.

rbhudelson
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
windows update just wiped out my vista machine it locks you out and just keeps rebooting after update 3 of 3 0 percent message it prevents safe mode from working too! the tech guy from india asked me to borrow a freinds vista disk as my recovery vista oem disk will wipe out the drive how is it possable the worst computer trouble i have ever had is from microsoft?

Oh the memories. sorry for your problems.

BY U BOY
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
I run Avast. No problem here.

I run antivir and adaware and no problems here.

X-Rated30
03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
I made a tinfoil hat I am wearing. Will that help?:26:

MattBMiller
03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
I made a tinfoil hat I am wearing. Will that help?:26:

You need matching tin foil underwear.

rschap1
04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
I sure hope you put the shiney side out. It's a common misconception, but it only reflects properly if the shiney side is OUT!!

MattBMiller
04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Did the world end yet?

MarylandMark
04-01-2009, 08:02 AM
The fix has been out since 10/08; you get it/you deserve it at this point

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-01-2009, 09:11 AM
The fix has been out since 10/08; you get it/you deserve it at this pointI have been playing Russian Roulette for the last 5 yrs. Once my Norton AV expired I never renewed.

This made me jump.

I installed Norton AV 2009 last night.

Did a full system scan and it came up with nothing on my system.

I guess that's a good sign..... I hope!

XP was already updated to the Service Pack 3.

I use C Cleaner a lot.

I love that program.

A real no nonsense program that cleans out anything that does not belong to something or is not needed.

Keeps my registry clean of bad extensions too!:sifone:

P.S.

The fix may have been for the original version.

There is now Conficker A,B, C and now a D

D was identified by the MMPC on March 4, 2009**

MarylandMark
04-01-2009, 09:20 AM
http://free.avg.com/

Good stuff, free and uses less resources than most computer protectants

C-Cleaner is awesome!

Sunsation96
04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Does anyone think that maybe the anti virus companies may hype this up to increse sales think about it! Now i'm not saying this was un true but what if that was the case! Was anyone hit by this?

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
http://free.avg.com/

Good stuff, free and uses less resources than most computer protectants

C-Cleaner is awesome!

A computer builder in town used to install the AVG on all of their units. I have come to learn that they now have gone to a "Pay" AV program. Their reason was they felt a free program may not be as up to date and quick with catching the viruses as a company that had a paid stake in the game...

Seemed to make sense to me.

I never liked Norton as the amount of resources it pulls and the reporting of information I understand is way more than anyone would want to give anyone.

Since I have pulled the NAV 2004 off the PC and ran the new 2009, it seems less resources are being used. I need a little more time to know for sure. So far so good.

Only reason I went with Norton again is because it was already on this machine. Downloading the 2009 version uninstalled the 2004 and went flawlessly.

I can't say the same for when I did that with my first computer. It pulled so many shared DLL files that the pc was crashing a lot afterwords. That was the main reason why I never updated because I was gun shy of it happening again.:ack2:

Sydwayz
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I installed Norton AV 2009 last night.

Thanks for your support! :D

Here's the thing with AV signatures, and the way Symantec/Norton works.

Symantec does not write signatures for EVERYTHING. If you tried to match every single file, application, and action on your computer to a set list of "known things OK" or "known things BAD"; it would completely consume the horsepower of your machine. Symantec does write/release signatures for a LOT of things. However, they also write and maintain normal behaviors for normal operation. If something happens that is abnormal from known good operation, it triggers scans, firewalls, quarantine, etc. etc. based on how you have your software configured. This is known as taking an offensive approach as well as a defensive approach to computer security. Symantec has THE largest GIN (Global Intelligence Network) with umpteen thousand (honeypot) sensors and millions of endpoint clients throughout the world. They get a pretty good fix on what's going wrong and what's going right in computer security.

Several of the other leading vendors, including McAfee, Trend, and Kaspersky are right up there as well.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Does anyone think that maybe the anti virus companies may hype this up to increse sales think about it! Now i'm not saying this was un true but what if that was the case! Was anyone hit by this?
I thought about it.

But I also thought of a worse case scenario.

What if terrorists were to be able to pay programmers to wreak havoc on everyone's computers.:ack2:

Just the thought about Conficker getting bits and pieces of data from thousands of websites and when they all come together on a computer they can sit there as a sleeper cell waiting for an instruction to carry out its protocol.

Scary crap if you ask me! :ack2:

Sydwayz
04-01-2009, 09:44 AM

This is not the case. There is plenty of "business" out there. The computer security companies do not need to generate any.

BTW, I do custom Federal Government work for Symantec.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for your support! :D

Here's the thing with AV signatures, and the way Symantec/Norton works.

Symantec does not write signatures for EVERYTHING. If you tried to match every single file, application, and action on your computer to a set list of "known things OK" or "known things BAD"; it would completely consume the horsepower of your machine. Symantec does write/release signatures for a LOT of things. However, they also write and maintain normal behaviors for normal operation. If something happens that is abnormal from known good operation, it triggers scans, firewalls, quarantine, etc. etc. based on how you have your software configured. This is known as taking an offensive approach as well as a defensive approach to computer security. Symantec has THE largest GIN (Global Intelligence Network) with umpteen thousand sensors and endpoint clients throughout the world. They get a pretty good fix on what's going wrong and what's going right in computer security.

Several of the other leading vendors, including McAfee, Trend, and Kaspersky are right up there as well.

I wiped my other computer clean of the Norton AV as trial.(Wife's and Kids) PC) I loaded the free Mc Afee AV that comes with the Comcast Service.

I got nothing but complaints from my family that I only made their computer slower. I think it is just that these new programs are resource intensive and their PC only has 256 of RAM with a low grade Intel processor. I just need to make sure it does not look to update when during the times they are using it. It's a killer on the speed...

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
BTW, I do custom Federal Government work for Symantec.
Can you tell me if the NAV is using less resources from previous versions ?

Sydwayz
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Can you tell me if the NAV is using less resources from previous versions ?

Absolutely. Norton 2008/2009 is a far superior program to anything previous. I don't keep up with the numbers specifics as I work with the Enterprise products, not the Consumer products. However the softwares are similar.

Norton 2009 includes AV, Firewall, IDS/IPS, and runs faster than Norton 2004 with only AV.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Absolutely. Norton 2008/2009 is a far superior program to anything previous. I don't keep up with the numbers specifics as I work with the Enterprise products, not the Consumer products. However the softwares are similar.

Norton 2009 includes AV, Firewall, IDS/IPS, and runs faster than Norton 2004 with only AV.
Glad to hear that ! :)
Does NAV offer up to 3 PC's on the same License or do I need to purchase an individual License for each?

Sydwayz
04-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Glad to hear that ! :)
Does NAV offer up to 3 PC's on the same License or do I need to purchase an individual License for each?

I "think" it does 3, but I'm not up on that one.

Sea-Dated
04-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I have used AVG Free for years, even on servers at the hospital I used to work at. Whenever a virus would hit, my servers were the only ones that never got hit. The rest of the network using ether Norton or McAfee would get the virus.

I upgraded this year to the pay version of AVG and have never been happier. I never had a single problem with the free version but I figured after mooching it for years, I should pay for it to make sure the company stays in business.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks Sea Dated. Good to know if I need to change...