PDA

View Full Version : Who Popped The Original MSV Hull Design & Built Boats From It?

OneBadInjun
03-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Anyone know? And what did MSV stand for?

Chris
03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Miller Saccenti Visconsi

Revolutionary hull, but it was hampered from the start by the APBA's 500cid/single 4bbl/2 engine rule. It was the precursor to the superboats.

I hadn't heard that they were ever popped.

Brownie
03-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Miller, Saccenti, Varese. Popped and shortened by Jean Claude Simon. Became Banana, Sonic, etc. DEA shot Varese out of the air like a duck, out in the Everglades.

phragle
03-31-2009, 02:10 PM
not to hijack, but irrelavant info semi related, when I saw MSV, I immediatly thought egg beater..specifically a 2 stroke. MSV also stands for Maximum Squish Velocity, and relates to the shaping of the combustion dome on a 2 stroke. Small changes can make big differences.

OneBadInjun
03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Miller, Saccenti, Varese. Popped and shortened by Jean Claude Simon. Became Banana, Sonic, etc. DEA shot Varese out of the air like a duck, out in the Everglades.Thank-you Allan. Jean Claude Simon was a deck builder for this hull then, for which he also took the design criteria from a another then popular deck designer...can't remember his name. A successful Italian boat builder/designer, I believe. He mimicked this same design, and applied it to the original 29 and 32 Cary/Cobra, as well. Simon never designed and built his own hulls. He popped everyone elses.

Brownie
03-31-2009, 02:19 PM
He built them. He just didn't design them. His boats said "Conceived by Jean Claude Simon". He had an ego as big as all outdoors............

Chris
03-31-2009, 02:22 PM
I would have sworn Bobby told me it was Dominic Visconsi, the real estate developer/racer from Cleveland.

OneBadInjun
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Was the boat builder/designer Simon mimicked. Yes, Simon "concieved" & built his hulls, after he "popped" them, lol. And...Walah!, the Coyote and the Banana Boat materialized!