PDA

View Full Version : Charity Car Wash

Shah Mat
03-30-2009, 05:41 AM
My daughter wants to organize a charity car wash to raise money for her HS soccer team at a local gas station or shopping center. Where do I go or who do I contact to see if it's legal? Don't want to be fined for storm drain run-off or for an illegal charity event.
We're in Spotsylvania county VA.

fund razor
03-30-2009, 06:40 AM
My daughter wants to organize a charity car wash to raise money for her HS soccer team at a local gas station or shopping center. Where do I go or who do I contact to see if it's legal? Don't want to be fined for storm drain run-off or for an illegal charity event.
We're in Spotsylvania county VA.

Have you been in contact with the designated benefiting charity? That would be the place to start. What you describe is called a "third party event." They can probably support her efforts in a variety of ways. Usually it doesn't get too complicated until you start having games of chance, like raffles. Oh... and the charity may also have a relationship already with a host location. I ran a charity once that had a gas station chain as a sponsor and they would let us do car washes and more.

Most likely the host location will also have some idea of local laws to be particularly aware of.

Very cool of your daughter.
Good luck to her.