PDA

View Full Version : NFL boaters accident report...........

JupiterSunsation
03-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Trying to get an anchor free caused the accident and the 3 fatalities.........

Missing NFL players' boat was not properly anchored in Gulf, report says
The Associated Press

2:59 PM EDT, March 27, 2009

TAMPA - An agency investigating a deadly boating accident involving two NFL players and their friends in the Gulf of Mexico has concluded it was a caused when the vessel was improperly anchored and the boat capsized after one of them tried to throttle forward to pry loose the anchor.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's investigation also cited carelessness and operator inexperience as contributing factors. The combination of errors also came at the time a storm front was moving in, making conditions on the water very rough.

Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, free-agent NFL defensive lineman Corey Smith, and former University of South Florida players William Bleakley and Nick Schuyler departed from Clearwater Pass, early Feb. 28 to go offshore fishing for amberjack.

Schuyler, found clinging to the boat two days later, was the lone survivor. The other three men have not been found. In an in-depth interview with the agency, Schuyler gave this account of the accident:

Details emerge about final hours of missing NFL players
Marquis Cooper, Corey Smith, Nick Schuyler, Will Bleakley, Timothy Close Photo Early that morning, the men went more than 50 miles offshore in Cooper's 21-foot vessel. It was loaded with two large coolers filled with ice, drinks, food and beer. All of the friends were dressed in warm clothes, sweat suits and jackets.

Around 5:30 p.m., they went to pull up the anchor and head back to port, but the anchor was stuck. Bleakley suggested they tie it to the transom and use the boat's motor to pull it loose.

When Cooper tried to thrust the boat forward, the vessel became submerged and capsized, tossing the men overboard. They tried to upright the boat without success. Bleakley swam underneath and was able to retrieve three life vests, a large cooler and a makeshift flotation device.

Bleakley, who Schuyler has credited with saving his life, used the makeshift flotation device, which has been described previously as a cushion. The other three wore the vests.

The men appear to have tried everything in their power to rescue themselves: Schuyler told the agency they tried retrieving and using flares without success. They also tried getting their cell phones, which were in plastic baggies.

They knew how many hours were passing because Schuyler had a watch with a light on and was able to keep track of the time. He said that around 5:30 a.m. the next day, Cooper became unresponsive. Schuyler and Bleakley tried to revive him without success.

Cooper's flotation device was removed and Bleakley put it on. The Oakland Raiders linebacker then became separated from the boat.

About an hour later, Smith started show "possible extreme symptoms of hypothermia." He removed his flotation device and also became separated from the boat.

The two college teammates were the only ones left. They hung on together for about 24 hours, until Bleakley grew weak and removed his life vest as well.

Schuyler said that his friend appeared to die as he was holding onto him. He let his friend go and Bleakley drifted away. The Coast Guard released its records on the accident last week. According to the agency, Schuyler told them the boat capsized after their anchor got caught in a reef.

The accuracy of that account was somewhat unclear because Schuyler was suffering from hypothermia and spoke to them shortly after he was pulled from the boat. His doctor said he probably could have only lived another five to 10 hours.

The Coast Guard called off its search after three days of scouring 24,000 miles of ocean.

Jammin'
03-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Sad :(

Ratickle
03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
It is too bad. Thinking about the report, I don't recall boating class even discussing anchoring retrival in a case like this.

JupiterSunsation
03-27-2009, 10:26 PM
It is too bad. Thinking about the report, I don't recall boating class even discussing anchoring retrival in a case like this.

Untie/ cut rope- go home. Unfortunately they did something stupid and it cost them their lives. When they tied the anchor to the transom and tried to tow the anchor the rope acted like a rubber band. It pulled away but when they cut the engine power it pulled the transom back hard and it would have caused a rush of water to come into the boat. 200 gallons of water would be 1300+ lbs getting dumped on the back of the boat and it capsized.

Stupid that millionaires lost their lives for the cost of a anchor and rope........

Ratickle
03-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Untie/ cut rope- go home. Unfortunately they did something stupid and it cost them their lives. When they tied the anchor to the transom and tried to tow the anchor the rope acted like a rubber band. It pulled away but when they cut the engine power it pulled the transom back hard and it would have caused a rush of water to come into the boat. 200 gallons of water would be 1300+ lbs getting dumped on the back of the boat and it capsized.

Stupid that millionaires lost their lives for the cost of a anchor and rope........

I know what you and I would do, but a rookie boater with an anchoring issue? I've taken boating classes in Oregon, assisted training in Washington, and assisted with boating training classes in Michigan, and don't ever recall it even being brought up. Just wondering outloud because I am a big proponent with boating license requirements.

Scarab KV
03-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Inexperience played a big part. Like Rat, I too think there should be requirements met to operate a boat

Cash Bar
03-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Schuyler said that his friend appeared to die as he was holding onto him. He let his friend go and Bleakley drifted away.

This is hard to even read. They grew up together. Like losing a brother. :(

Edward R. Cozzi
03-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I had been teaching the Power Squadron Boat Safety class for years. Anchoring isn't even mentioned, let alone covered. Sad.

Ratickle
03-28-2009, 07:59 AM
I had been teaching the Power Squadron Boat Safety class for years. Anchoring isn't even mentioned, let alone covered. Sad.

That's what I meant Ed. It's something we've all learned and take for granted. But people buy boats who've never been on one before. I've had issues and left anchors, (never like that, but possible in the same situation). I'd never tie an anchor to a stern line and try to pull it up, but I can certainly see where that could happen, almost makes sense if you've towed a stuck car out.

I think it's something which should be considered for addition to the USCG training brochures, that's all.

mosi
03-28-2009, 08:06 AM
I too have never had any formal training on anchor retrieval.

I was taught by dad, when we were on the ARK, and it always worked and made sense.......... use a front cleat and back the boat away in the opposite direction.

He said the cleat might give......better that than a transom.

Next option was a knife.

Very very SAD situation!!!

Thoughts and prayers to the survivor and all families.

Coastie
03-28-2009, 10:40 AM
From the Coast Guard's Boating Safety web site at http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/saf_anchor.htm

Do not anchor by the Stern!!

Anchoring a small boat by the stern has caused many to capsize and sink. The transom is usually squared off and has less freeboard than the bow. In a current, the force of the water can pull the stern under. The boat is also vulnerable to swamping by wave action. The weight of a motor, fuel tank, or other gear in the stern increases the risk.

And my advice on the correct way to free your anchor is:
1. Either pull by hand or nudge the boat forward slowly while retrieving your anchor line until the anchor is directly beneath (Vertical) the bow of the boat.
2. Secure the anchor line to your cleat at that point with a single figure 8 so you can take line in or let it out quickly if need be. DO NOT TIE IT OFF!
3. If you have a little wave action the natural up/down movement is usually enough to free the anchor.
4. As a last resort, you can nudge the boat further forward into the seas/wind with the engine to break the anchor loose. Do not back down (reverse) as that would only dig the anchor in deeper and also subject you to the possibility of breaking that nylon anchor line which will be like a rubber band and try to take your head off. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE ALONE, IT IS AT A MINIMUM A 2 PERSON OPERATION!

Hope this helps.

To give you a little Coastie story, I had a coxswain at Barnegat Light Station that took out a 22" Sea Ox Center Console with twin outboards to check on a sailboat that was grounded just inside of Barnegat Inlet, NJ. He was specifically told not to put a line on that boat by the Officer of the Day that was in charge of the case. But this was a newly qualified coxswain and he had that "I want to be a hero" adrenilin charge.

He put a tow line on the sailboat anyway and for those of you that know that inlet, the current runs about 8 knots during tide changes so as soon as the towline took a strain, with the current running against the Sea Ox's very low transom cutout, the boat was immediately awash and capsized in the same way that anchoring off your stern would cause.

The Sea Ox was a total loss. The sailboat drifted off the sandbar on its own at the next high tide.

Ratickle
03-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks Coastie.

Now, should be a question on a required boating license....

old377guy
03-28-2009, 11:32 AM
very sad to read; any of us might have a least "thought about" what they did. I couldn't retrieve my anchor last summer. I motored forward and pulled like hell on the line and it wouldn't budge. I considered attaching my anchor line to my one of my tie down hooks on the transom; the more I thought about it the more I realized that it wasn't worth it. I cut the line, called it a day and will be visiting my local marine salvage yard for an anchor before the season starts.

Coastie
03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks Coastie.

Now, should be a question on a required boating license....

I'd say NO to a required license that would only be another revenue source for the government. How many people with a drivers license still don't know how to operate a car? I see lots of morons on the road every day.

I would endorse a requirement that all operators pass both a written exam and an underway driving test though. The Power Squadron and CG Auxiliary are both in a position to do this without involving the government bureaucrats.

Ratickle
03-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I'd say NO to a required license that would only be another revenue source for the government. How many people with a drivers license still don't know how to operate a car? I see lots of morons on the road every day.

I would endorse a requirement that all operators pass both a written exam and an underway driving test though. The Power Squadron and CG Auxiliary are both in a position to do this without involving the government bureaucrats.

Here's Michigans

Who Needs to Take Boater Safety?

Michigan conservation officers and Michigan county sheriffs encourage all persons operating boats in Michigan to enroll in a boating safety course.
The following rules apply to boaters:

A person who is 12 but less than 14 may operate a personal watercraft if he or she obtained a boating safety certificate before January 1, 1999.

Persons born after December 31, 1978 shall not operate a personal watercraft unless they obtain a boating safety certificate.

The operators of a personal watercraft must carry their boating safety certificate and display it upon the demand of a peace officer.

I've assisted when President of the Gun Lake Association

Coastie
03-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Rat,

Yeah thats typical in quite a few states that they require kids to have a certificate but only "Encourage" adults to take a course, so with Michigans born after 1978 rule they are on the right track.

Not to upset anyone, but I've seen an awful lot of boaters that have way more balls and money than brains. And a lot of those folks I'm talking about myself or my crew fished their lifeless bodies out of the water and called the morgue and their loved ones. I don't know if any of the members here have ever had to call someones wife, mother, father, etc. and tell them that their loved one was just killed in a senseless accident but I can assure you that if you do, its a sad moment in your life that you'll never forget.

Magic Medicine
03-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Never should of drop anchor in that water in a small boat. Inexperince! See it all summer in the form of drowning in Lake Michigan. My bro and I call it natural selection, sorry for no remorse, but my father taught us to respect water and what it can do to you and your boat

MattBMiller
03-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Sad story. How deep of water were they in?

Wobble
03-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Sad story but there is a valuable lesson to be learned or re-learned. It seems that I spent the better part of a day on anchoring and sea anchors when my dad sent me to sailing school a very long time ago

florida gator
03-29-2009, 10:49 AM

Think I heard about 50'

Audiofn
03-30-2009, 08:13 AM
I had to leave an ancore behind once when the coasties had to come and get me when I had an electrical problem on a budies boat. I tied a bouy to it and got it the next day. The funny thing is I knew more about how to run the recue then most of the coasties. They were all fighting over how to do it and after they smashed into the boat three times HARD I said ok now we do it my way.

cuda
03-30-2009, 08:34 AM

If they were 50 miles out, it would be about 130 feet there. I doubt they would have anchored that deep.

I've been boating my whole life, dad was a lifer in the Navy. I remember dad telling me to never tie a line off, when trying to pull something. He said to take a turn around a cleat, then hold the line, in case you had to let go immediately. My brother was on a nuclear subtender (the Holland), and someone had tied it off, I don't remember the details, but a nine inch hawser snapped, and took both legs off a sailor.

I left an anchor out in that area, when it got stuck on a wreck. I tried pulling it BOW FIRST, but after I pulled in all directions, I cut the anchor line. You can always buy another anchor, you can't buy another life.

It was just a matter of inexperience. All the classes in the world will not replace real life experience, or real death for that matter.:(

Sea-Dated
03-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I had had to leave an anchor behind also. Much easier and cheaper that risking your life or doing severe damage to yourself or your boat.....

MarylandMark
04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Last Summer a storm rolled up on me and 5-6 other boats.

I had to cut the anchor/chain/rope, replace the front hatch from anchor guy falling through it, etc. $2K day...

Honestly I didn't want to leave it on the bottom and didn't know what to do- made a game time decision which ended up being the right one.

2 boats tried to save their anchors end up on the beach when their anchors let go and were pushed ashore. 1 guy jumped in to try to unhook the anchor of another boat. 5'-6' deep water was now 10 foot deep. He started to say he needed help, wave soaked him and under he went. Another friend jumped in to get him; if not I have no doubt he wouldn't have surfaced..

Ms PatriYacht
04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
very sad reading this, most of you guys seemed to have grown up boating and learned a lot from your Dad, that kind of experience is priceless. I don't believe that was the case here, I either read or heard this on one of the interviews with Coopers father, he said his son loved fishing more than just about anything and that he went out with him only one time, but he was to afraid to ever go again. I think Cooper probably only used the boat as a vehicle to fish off and probably did not know a ton about operating it. With his money if he cared about boating he probably would have had a larger one. Kind of like me with a car, I have no clue about how it runs and could care less, I just use it to get places. Hearing how they took off their life jackets and just drifted away makes me think of the scene at the end of movie Titanic with all the life jackets floating empty and the few survivors just watching silently and helpless. What a horrible memory for the loan survivor to be left with, I hope one day he can close his eyes without reliving it.