PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a 35' - 38'

Frequency
03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I was fortunate enough to secure a property in Fort Myers recently, so it is time to start looking for a proper boat to park in the back yard. My Envision is not quite right for this location. Criteria are ride quality, cockpit room and a full cabin. Something that will make for a pleasant run up or down the coast and maybe overnight onboard once in a while.

Based on my own research I think I'm looking for a 90's cig (cafe or gun) or formula (357/353 or 382). My wife would be leaning toward the formulas if the ride quality is there. I'm looking for real world advise on these boats based on my criteria. Questions I'm asking myself: is a top gun ride that much better than a cafe? A 353 will be relatively fast, but at what point does the water get big enough that we're getting beat up? Are there other models I should be considering?

Thoughts are appreciated!
Greg

PARADOX
03-27-2009, 11:07 AM
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5273

Here yaa go.. 33' withOUT the swim platform.

ar15meister
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
ther is a nice 99 gun in the classifieds.

just needs to go back together.

I dont know from personal experience, I have ridden in a Cafe many times and they ride nicely in rough water. I am guessing from what I have ready a Top Gun would be even better.

Plus it is a Cigarette, which is cool.

Sea-Dated
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Go with the Gun or Cafe'. Depending on your budget. Lot's of nice ones out there for sale of course I am a little biased....

Magic Medicine
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Go with the Gun or Cafe'. Depending on your budget. Lot's of nice ones out there for sale of course I am a little biased....

The olders have a better cabin more roomier than the newer cover girl cabin. I would do a Gun if it were me, amazing rough water ride. Formula cabins very nice and the boats are solid, never been on a 382 in rough water.

Chris
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
You picked two fairly different boats. Cigarette says balls-out performance boat with some creature comforts. Formula says family boat that can go fast.

Boats, like everyting else, are governed by the laws of physics. Longer boats bridge waves and heavier boats push the water out of the way. There wasn't much better a rough water boat than the Cig 35- until they made it 31 inches longer and 6" deeper- and added another ton of weight (the 38). Same with the Formula- 24 degree vee, lots of heft= nice ride. You take 3000 lbs out of an older gun and it's going to stop pushing waves out of the way and start skipping across the top of them.

One thing I always make sure to emphasise to a relatively new performance boater- you won't have the boat long. You're either going to hate it and bail or love it and want more. Either way, buy something easy to resell. Cig and Formula both fit that bill well. Plus, if you buy a Cigarette, all you'll have to answer is "yes" when they ask if it's one of them there Coigarette boats.

Knot 4 Me
03-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Congrats. Are you moving there from Illinois or is this a second property? I've got some seat time in a 353 at LOTO and it does OK.

Wrinkleface
03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Had both a 353 & 382! The 35 is good all around w/ a decent cabin, the 38 takes a bunch more power 2 run w/ a 35 but ride was better I think from both weight & extra length! bit larger cabin in the 38! great 4 an overnight here & there! I had 500efi
's in the 35, no boxes & it would hit 80 on a good day, had 575sci's w/ ITS boxes in the 38 & I never saw 80! good luck!!!:)

Frequency
03-27-2009, 12:40 PM
It's a second home, Knot. One might conclude that since I haven't been posting I've been working ;).

I confess the preference for the cigs, and the cabin layout is nice. My wife would prefer a 400SS, hence the potential need for a little compromise.

I appreciate the feedback. I know that the formulas offer a few amenities, and that the cigs are more hardcore. I forsee trailering the boat for summer fun in the midwest and leaving it on the lift at Fort Myers over the winter. A 35' will be a little easier to deal with.

I also need to consider that I'll want to run with new friends. I don't want to regret the cafe because I can't keep up with everyone in longer boats, or regret the 357 because it's not fast enough. Putting my current 625's in the next boat is an option.

f311fr1
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
You need to look at a 37 Active Thunder

PARADOX
03-27-2009, 01:04 PM
It's a second home, Knot. One might conclude that since I haven't been posting I've been working ;).

I confess the preference for the cigs, and the cabin layout is nice. My wife would prefer a 400SS, hence the potential need for a little compromise.

I appreciate the feedback. I know that the formulas offer a few amenities, and that the cigs are more hardcore. I forsee trailering the boat for summer fun in the midwest and leaving it on the lift at Fort Myers over the winter. A 35' will be a little easier to deal with.

I also need to consider that I'll want to run with new friends. I don't want to regret the cafe because I can't keep up with everyone in longer boats, or regret the 357 because it's not fast enough. Putting my current 625's in the next boat is an option.

I was in the same predicament last year. The Formulas are nice but a bit heavy for ease of trailereing. Cigs are great performance oriented, but in all honesty you really have to watch what you get. I wanted something unique. There are some great Cigs around and there are some with some history. If you got power and drives. I will concider selling the Avanti without power. It's not a Cig. :) but great harritage and awsome racing history.

Chris
03-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Towing opens up an entirely new can of worms. A TG is goiing to need the capabilities you're only going to find in a dually pickup. The 35 can be towed by a SRW 1 ton.

Griff
03-27-2009, 01:33 PM

I agree.

You may also want to check out the Monopoly Black Thunder thats for sale.

HiPerf2000
03-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I saw this the other day while browsing. Should run 75 with the 500's. disclaimer......I dont know the boat nor the owner just thought i would pass it along. :)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/sonic_35_ss-o28304-en.html

Knot 4 Me
03-27-2009, 01:55 PM

I also need to consider that I'll want to run with new friends. I don't want to regret the cafe because I can't keep up with everyone in longer boats, or regret the 357 because it's not fast enough. Putting my current 625's in the next boat is an option.Congrats! Love the Ft. Meyers area. Been going down there on and off since '78.

Sounds like a nice cabin will be a plus for the wife. Though the 353 has a nice cabin, it is tight...especially the head. As much as I hate to admit it (damn Cult!), a 37' AT would be a good choice. A 38 Avenger has a huge cabin and the post 2000 models ran decent speeds.

OldSchool
03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
How about a 42 Fountain???:sifone::sifone:

t500hps
03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I've got a 382....a buddy runs a 35 Cafe, one has a 38TG, and another recently sold a 37AT. All great boats with slightly different purposes. The Cig should ride the best but I wouldn't want one for overnighting much at all. The 37AT is a great riding boat (close to a 38TG IMO) and most will have good cabins for overnighting. The downside is there aren't as many out there for sale and finding one could be difficult....of course that makes them soemwhat unique out on the water. My 382 rides great but probably 3rd on this list. The cabin is the best though and since we overnight alot this is what we wanted. With a little over 600hp I can hit 80 anyday, have A/C, vacu-flush head, sink, refrig, and even a microwave. These do take more power to move though, a twin step gun will not have a cabin at all but be 8-9 mph faster with the same power. Any of these boats needs a dually to tow IMO.

OldSchool
03-27-2009, 02:11 PM
I was fortunate enough to secure a property in Fort Myers recently, so it is time to start looking for a proper boat to park in the back yard. My Envision is not quite right for this location. Criteria are ride quality, cockpit room and a full cabin. Something that will make for a pleasant run up or down the coast and maybe overnight onboard once in a while.

Based on my own research I think I'm looking for a 90's cig (cafe or gun) or formula (357/353 or 382). My wife would be leaning toward the formulas if the ride quality is there. I'm looking for real world advise on these boats based on my criteria. Questions I'm asking myself: is a top gun ride that much better than a cafe? A 353 will be relatively fast, but at what point does the water get big enough that we're getting beat up? Are there other models I should be considering?

Greg

Personally, I would buy a Top Gun!!! There are plenty of great deals out there on all brands!! It's a buyers market for sure.

If you would want an Active Thunder, Here is a good one for not much $$$:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2000_active_thunder_37_avh-o23739-en.html

I know both previous owners of the boat and it's been well maintained it's entire life. PM Sydwayz here for more info. He can put you in touch with the owner.

Craig

CDOWNS
03-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Here you go......... Pick one.......:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Seafordguy
03-27-2009, 02:32 PM
If your "wife would prefer a 400SS" you had probably beter get the 382 formula instead of the Cig unless you want to be selling it halfway through the summer because she hates it.

The Formulas have great cabins the only problem is the company you will be keeping:26::26::03:

Top Banana
03-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Greg

Greg.....buying used is like buying used cars...always go for the latest and best you can afford. In this case that would mean a 2005 and up TS Top Gun...but that also means bigger power for the boat and the truck.

You didn't mention a budget, but think before you pull the trigger on a big used boat with big used engines....real world experience means big bills....and no warrantees.... to keep it running.

If you have a limited budget, work with a builder to build you a custom boat with new engines......things like the final finish to the cabin, can be done at a later date. This gets you out on the water now with a trouble free boat under you.

Ratickle
03-27-2009, 02:34 PM

He needs to look at your BT...

CDOWNS
03-27-2009, 02:34 PM
here you go......... Pick one.......:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

oops

Sunsation96
03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
oops

:drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5: I'm on my way:driving::auto:

Frequency
03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the replys guys, this really helps. I do have a little experience throwing money into a boat. My 32 Envision is equipped with Young 625 EFI's and XR's with IMCO shorties. I had to go with shorties in order to fit the engines under the rear couch.

There are a host of possible senarios. I could find something with Merc power and bravos and do a power package swap to make the Envision more marketable. I could also potentially trade the Envision, guessing I would get a few bucks due to the newer engines and drives. Guess I could also find a boat without power and put cheap motors in my Envision in order to sell it.

Budget is definitely sub $100K. Of course, this is the market for such opportunities.

Knot 4 Me
03-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Give Scott a call. I know this boat personally. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/one_of_a_kind_cigarette_cafe_racer-o27700-en.html

Sea-Dated
03-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Give Scott a call. I know this boat personally. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/one_of_a_kind_cigarette_cafe_racer-o27700-en.html

That is a beautiful Cafe' If it had been for sale when I bought mine, it might be sitting on Grand Lake right now......

Frequency
03-27-2009, 04:45 PM
One reason for settling on the Envision 5 years ago was the large cockpit. I hate to have to give it up. I would consider a 36' Envision, which will give me a better ride with an even larger cockpit, but it tops out at 65 mph with 500EFI's.

Roomy though....

JupiterSunsation
03-27-2009, 08:19 PM

You will never overnight in FL without a/c. Check your insurance rates on a go fast vs. a cruiser like a 400 SS. Checkout www.yachtauctions.com lots of cheap Formula/SeaRay cruisers on there. Had a cheap 01 TS TG on there last week that sold for 80K.

C_Spray
03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Your description fits exactly the way we use our 382. I don't know about the others, but a 382 has enough cockpit room to fit a second set of bolsters in front of the rear seat if you want to. Nice ameneties, and good ride. There's a 1998 with carb 500's in flawless condition at my marina. $88K takes it. This one is really, really nice. It sits right next to mine in the dry stack, and I think the guy who owns it detailed it three times for every time he ran it.
http://www.tomeslandingmarina.com/ Click on "pre-owned inventory" , and then go to the second page.

OldSchool
03-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Your description fits exactly the way we use our 382. I don't know about the others, but a 382 has enough cockpit room to fit a second set of bolsters in front of the rear seat if you want to. Nice ameneties, and good ride. There's a 1998 with carb 500's in flawless condition at my marina. $88K takes it. This one is really, really nice. It sits right next to mine in the dry stack, and I think the guy who owns it detailed it three times for every time he ran it.
http://www.tomeslandingmarina.com/ Click on "pre-owned inventory" , and then go to the second page.

WOW. Nice find Chuck!!!! That 382 model has just the right amount of everything. My wife would love to have one. I'm getting there, but just not quite there yet.:banghead::cheers2:
Does that boat have a genny?

northernoffshore
03-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Why don't you buy a center console for ft. myers? Keep your boat for up north. Down here a smaller cc is the way to go. You can explore around and the water is shallow in a lot of places. O/b's are reliable and you get your room back. I have seen a bunch of people move down here with their performance boats only to sell it and buy a c.c. good luck on the move.

Frequency
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
A center console may still be a consideration. I can't ignore the practicality of outboards and a hose-out cockpit. It's just hard to make a 36' CC run 80 without hanging 10 outboards off the back.

cosmic12
03-28-2009, 11:31 AM

Nice ride!!!! The true gentlemens hot rod.

Magic Medicine
03-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Yep excellent boat!

Magic Medicine
03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
That is a beautiful Cafe' If it had been for sale when I bought mine, it might be sitting on Grand Lake right now......

Agreed but I like yours better

C_Spray
03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
WOW. Nice find Chuck!!!! That 382 model has just the right amount of everything. My wife would love to have one. I'm getting there, but just not quite there yet.:banghead::cheers2:
Does that boat have a genny?

I don't believe that it does, but one could probably be added. I can't remember if the VacuFlush system is in front of the engines or on the starboard side. The genny has to go in front of the engines.

You or Frequency should call on this boat. The owner runs a detailing business, and this boat shines like no other. He is the second owner, ran it very timidly and rarely used it last summer. I know that he's motivated, so he might settle for a little less. Heck - I might even take the trailer if you don't want it....

HiPerf2000
03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
saw this come up on oso. looks like a hell of a deal....IF that is wrap and not painted.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/38_nortech_v_bot-o28362-en.html

Magic Medicine
03-28-2009, 02:16 PM
:drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5: I'm on my way:driving::auto:

He doesn't appect food stamps as payment:sifone:

Frequency
03-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't believe that it does, but one could probably be added. I can't remember if the VacuFlush system is in front of the engines or on the starboard side. The genny has to go in front of the engines.

You or Frequency should call on this boat. The owner runs a detailing business, and this boat shines like no other. He is the second owner, ran it very timidly and rarely used it last summer. I know that he's motivated, so he might settle for a little less. Heck - I might even take the trailer if you don't want it....

It looks like a sweet deal. How would a 382 perform with 1.5 ratio XR's and 625 HP a side?

C_Spray
03-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Low-to-mid 80's, I would guess.

I'm telling you - this boat shows as new.

t500hps
03-28-2009, 04:56 PM
It looks like a sweet deal. How would a 382 perform with 1.5 ratio XR's and 625 HP a side?

well......I might be able to answer that :)

My motors dyno'ed 630hp, 700tq fully dressed on a dyno. I have 1.5 XR's in a 2002 382 with every option but genset (same as this boat it appears). I always have a full load of spare parts/tools, extra lifejackets, 8 docklines, 2 anchors, etc on my boat.

I'm currently running labbed 28P 15.5in 5 blade Maximus for cruise speeds. 3,500 rpms puts me at 54-58gps depending on load/conditions. Best WOT was 5,250 at 82.8 but hits 80 pretty much anyday.

Best topend props are labbed 30P Bravos. Cruise speed was 45-50, but WOT was 85-86 at 5,500 rpms.

(I make peak TQ at 4,200, peak HP at 5,200)

JayFan
03-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Both boats are awesome....depends on what you are looking for....more speed or keeping the wife happy

rschap1
03-30-2009, 09:27 AM
PowerQuest Avenger!

Sea-Dated
03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Agreed but I like yours better

Thanks!! I do too.....:sifone:

Magic Medicine
03-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks!! I do too.....:sifone:

No prob!

RLJ676
03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
http://jlbco.hypermart.net/380.htm

Here's a very cool looking PQ, that I'd think you could make a hell of a deal on. He's been trying to sell for a while since he can't use it, and is looking for offers.

I wish it was in my range, because I think it'll go for a pretty great deal.

Frequency
04-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate the comparisons as well as the opportunities. Definitely a lot of "good to go" boats out there. It looks like the ride quality breakdown goes like this:

Top Gun
382 / PQ 380
Cafe / 357 SR-1

Sound about right?

So here's the real world question for the smaller boats: Will the Cafe ride noticeably better than the 353? Anyone have an opinion that's been in both of these models?

Chart
04-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Frequency: Don't forget some on your list are stepped hulls, and some aren't. A few years ago, on the same day, I got to ride in a 42 Fountain stepped hull, and a 38 Top Gun NON-step hull. The TG did not feel solid or stable running in other's wakes at 80mph, racing another boat, and that surprised the heck out of me. I suspect the driver was too far trimmed out, but I really don't know. That part of the lake was somewhat smooth except for wakes from boats up ahead. The 42 Fountain (might not even have as long a running surface as the TG) rode great!! I'm not really a Fountain guy, but this ride made me reconsider my views. From Horny Toad to Shooters and back on a Sat afternoon, there were large waves we crossed at cruising speed that I was bracing for, and I would never have tried in my 30' conventional hull without slowing down, and the 42 just sliced right through them like they were not there. Coming back he opened it up and the boat still rode well. Food for thought.

C_Spray
04-03-2009, 08:05 AM
I still think that if you're going to spend lots of time onboard and want to keep the missus happy, you're going to wind up with the 382 or the Powerquest. I know both boats, and they are well-kept.

Sean Stinson
04-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Both boats are great....both have tremendous ride quality...The Cig is a bit more of a wave crusher...The Formula is probably the best built production boat on the market have extensive knowledge on both of them as well as actual seat time in both, in both pleasure and race versions.... If it comes down to making your wife happy go with the Formula w/525's at least it will give you enough speed (almost) to satisfy the adrenaline junkie and her enough amenities like home....if the wife loves boating like I do I would probably pick a Cig with some decent power in it.....My .02 worth

Geronimo36
04-03-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm biased but take a look at 36' Apache's. The boat thinks it's a 41' and the cabin is cavernous with lots of head room, probably the most in its class. My wife loves it and so do I. :)

Sean Stinson
04-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm biased but take a look at 36' Apache's. The boat thinks it's a 41' and the cabin is cavernous with lots of head room, probably the most in its class. My wife loves it and so do I. :)

My bad you know I am an Apache guy through and through Frank:sifone::sifone::sifone::sifone:

northernoffshore
04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
I always heard that the twin step powerquests 38' had handling issues?

Knot 4 Me
04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I always heard that the twin step powerquests 38' had handling issues?Some of the early ones had the hulls reworked by the factory. If you search on "the other site" in the PQ forum, you'll find some threads on it that have posts from former PQ employees that have firsthand knowledge of what the problems were and what was done to fix them. I've been on a '99 with hopped up 525SC's and 12" boxes and it handled just fine at any speed.

Geronimo36
04-03-2009, 08:51 AM
My bad you know I am an Apache guy through and through Frank:sifone::sifone::sifone::sifone:

:)

I always wanted a top gun and even a 41' pache until I got inside the cockpit and cabin.. the 4.5' to 5' head room was a killer for me.:leaving:

The raised deck Bobby put on the 36' really helped!:sifone:

northernoffshore
04-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Some of the early ones had the hulls reworked by the factory. If you search on "the other site" in the PQ forum, you'll find some threads on it that have posts from former PQ employees that have firsthand knowledge of what the problems were and what was done to fix them. I've been on a '99 with hopped up 525SC's and 12" boxes and it handled just fine at any speed.

Thanks for the response , I know a guy who must of had an earlier one .

LEOPAJM
04-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Where are you in Ft. Myers ?

Couple thoughts ....

1. For that area ... you really can do ALOT of boating with a nice 28 - 30 + foot CC .

2. The Cafe has a "better" ride then all of the boats mentioned save the Gun ( I know a few guys with TopGuns that used to have Cafe's that wish theyy had there Cafe back )

3. The cabin in the Cafe's are pretty roomy !

4. The right 36 Apache will ride a little better then the Cafe and does have a more roomy cabin .

5. Cigs are much easier to resell ... especially in this market .

6. What makes you want to move away from your current boat ?

7. Down there in the salt .... 2 boats are better then one ... especially if one has O/B's ! :sifone:

My vote would be for the Cafe from LOTO ... or keep your Envision (for a while) ... do a nice newer CC and enjoy boating everyday !

Geronimo36
04-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd also throw the 37' Outerlimits on the list. I recently saw a repo with 500's for like 75-85K. with 500's it'll run 80 mph or so.

Knot 4 Me
04-03-2009, 12:14 PM

Couple thoughts ....

1. For that area ... you really can do ALOT of boating with a nice 28 - 30 + foot CC .

2. The Cafe has a "better" ride then all of the boats mentioned save the Gun ( I know a few guys with TopGuns that used to have Cafe's that wish theyy had there Cafe back )

4. The right 36 Apache will ride a little better then the Cafe and does have a more roomy cabin .

7. Down there in the salt .... 2 boats are better then one ... especially if one has O/B's ! :sifone:

My vote would be for the Cafe from LOTO ... or keep your Envision (for a while) ... do a nice newer CC and enjoy boating everyday !The Cafe I posted a link to is one nice ride.

LEOPAJM
04-03-2009, 01:06 PM
The Cafe I posted a link to is one nice ride.

Very Nice ! Do you know what the hp of the engines is ?

Frequency
04-03-2009, 07:41 PM

Couple thoughts ....

My vote would be for the Cafe from LOTO ... or keep your Envision (for a while) ... do a nice newer CC and enjoy boating everyday !

We're just North of San Carlos Island. Amazing location from a boating perspective. We close on the property the end of this month.

Our Envision is a midcabin openbow model. It rides bigger than a 32', but not like a 35' anything (well, ok, maybe a 35' Fountain :D). Just a little concerned about the safety and saltwater upkeep of this type of boat. Maybe I should wait and take the Envision down and run around a while to get a feeling for how it will work. I run it all the time at LOTO during rough weekends. Plenty of motor to run with the boats discussed here, just not the hull to take the beating.

I do appreciate your thoughts on the CC backup boat. Just leave it in Fort Myers and tow the other boat back home in the spring. Hmmm... :cool:

Frequency
04-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Both boats are great....both have tremendous ride quality...The Cig is a bit more of a wave crusher...The Formula is probably the best built production boat on the market have extensive knowledge on both of them as well as actual seat time in both, in both pleasure and race versions.... If it comes down to making your wife happy go with the Formula w/525's at least it will give you enough speed (almost) to satisfy the adrenaline junkie and her enough amenities like home....if the wife loves boating like I do I would probably pick a Cig with some decent power in it.....My .02 worth

Steve's old Sutphen would have been great too, but then I'd have to give him rides all the time. :D

glh
04-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Gun

ufix1
04-05-2009, 03:44 AM
go for outerlimits 37 stiletto.

BBB725
04-05-2009, 08:30 AM

Ditto

Frequency
04-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Dang, another one to think about.

performancemary
04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
These will not cost you as much, excellent ride and major cabin space. Most room in a 38 footer by far. With good power, say 575sc's get you to the mid /upper 80's

Knot 4 Me
04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Very Nice ! Do you know what the hp of the engines is ?I believe they are 502 MPI's built up to 500 HP by Baker Engineering.

richanton
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM

I absolutely agree that you need to look at the Outerlimits 37. I bought one last year and could not be happier. This boat has everything-

-great looks and modern style
-huge cabin that you can easily overnight in covered in plush ultraleather
-good headroom in the cabin
-full amenities: A/C, heat, genset, head, microwave, hot water
-Outerlimits quality which is second to none
- a little bit of exclusivity, there are not a ton of Outerlimits out there, especially the 37

The Outerlimits is a single step hull and will run circles around some of the other mfgs. The ride is great and it will do 82mph with stock HP500s. The problem is they didn't build a ton of the 37s, it can be tough to find a good one. It took me a year to find mine. Spend a little bit more and buy the best one you can find. And no, mine isn't for sale. Just love the boat.

lavey jr
04-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Check out the Lavey 39' evo.....

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk88/ccdogg22/untitled-1.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk88/ccdogg22/untitled5-1.jpg

northernoffshore
06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
http://thunderboatsanddesign.com/

drpete3
12-29-2009, 01:54 PM
So guys this is an oleder thread that needs to come back to life. Im looking at guns , cafes, stilettos....also curious to see what frequency bought

Tank
12-29-2009, 02:16 PM
So guys this is an oleder thread that needs to come back to life. Im looking at guns , cafes, stilettos....also curious to see what frequency bought

Our 95 Gun is for sale....525SC's SSM 3A's on an 05 trailer. Loooooots of extras. 87k I have all details and a sh!t load of pics if you're interested.

Tank
thisistank@aol.com

Frequency
12-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I ended up with a '91 Cafe. Drug her home and tucked her away for the winter. More picks next summer!

richanton
12-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Tank, that is a nice looking boat. I always liked it ever since I saw the mag article about your redo.

Tank
12-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Tank, that is a nice looking boat. I always liked it ever since I saw the mag article about your redo.

Thanks bro.....If you know anyone interested let me know.

L-V
12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
I'd also throw the 37' Outerlimits on the list. I recently saw a repo with 500's for like 75-85K. with 500's it'll run 80 mph or so.

The Stiletto is hard to beat for sure, and it will pound the waves and run like hell with small power! I would put it near or at the top of that list for sure!

Team Tsunami
12-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Agree about the 37 Outerlimits. It's a great boat and runs great with stock or big power, from 80-115!

Team Tsunami
12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
I ended up with a '91 Cafe. Drug her home and tucked her away for the winter. More picks next summer!

Congrats on the Cafe! Looked like a real clean boat!

Shallow Minded
12-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Our 95 Gun is for sale....525SC's SSM 3A's on an 05 trailer. Loooooots of extras. 87k I have all details and a sh!t load of pics if you're interested.

Tank
thisistank@aol.com

Just curious, what's next for you, Tank? Something a little more family friendly? If I hadn't upgraded to my Scarab, your Gun would definitely be on my list!

Also curious to hear more about some of the "older" Outerlimits boats...

Tank
12-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Just curious, what's next for you, Tank? Something a little more family friendly? If I hadn't upgraded to my Scarab, your Gun would definitely be on my list!

Also curious to hear more about some of the "older" Outerlimits boats...

Post some pics of the Scarab? Year/power/etc. Looks nice if thats it in the avatar. Congrats. Thanks for the compliments. And yea, I think I'll go boatless for a year or so and then I'd like to get a 33/36 Concept or Renegade or maybe a 90's Cafe Open or something along those lines.

toolman
12-29-2009, 11:22 PM
check out stallion powerboats.com there's one on estero island near you.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Welcome toolman,

Enjoy the site and the holidays

BRD
12-29-2009, 11:29 PM

Tank
thisistank@aol.com

Lookin good Tank ! That should move pretty quick !? Good luck !

Shallow Minded
12-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Post some pics of the Scarab? Year/power/etc. Looks nice if thats it in the avatar. Congrats. Thanks for the compliments. And yea, I think I'll go boatless for a year or so and then I'd like to get a 33/36 Concept or Renegade or maybe a 90's Cafe Open or something along those lines.

In an attempt to not hi-jack this thread, check out page 2 of Sunkin's "New Boat Purchase" post... a few pic's and spec's there. I'm a sucker for clean, old boats! :cheers2:

Tank
12-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Lookin good Tank ! That should move pretty quick !? Good luck !

BRD, thanks for the kind words. What's been going on?

Shallow Minded....Nice Scarab. Great package.

drpete3
12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
I wish I was in the market when that stiletto was for sale last year for 75K

captain55
12-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Do you have experience with salt water? An outboard is trouble free and pretty cool. Velocity make a 41' with triples or a 30' with twins. Midnight Express makes a cool 37 with triples. Sonic make a nice 32' and a 36' custom for you. If you want a closed deck with outboards look to Pantera.

BRD
12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
BRD, thanks for the kind words. What's been going on?

Not too much over here man .... Just tryin to get some sleddin in before the boats come back out , and hopefully sneek down to Fla. a few times ... BTW ... Congrats on the little one !!! Enjoy ! :cheers2:

HiZ
12-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Anyone Anyone!

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=627

Tank
12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Not too much over here man .... Just tryin to get some sleddin in before the boats come back out , and hopefully sneek down to Fla. a few times ... BTW ... Congrats on the little one !!! Enjoy ! :cheers2:

Thanks bro...Maybe we can hook up for some cocktails in florida some time this year...Key West worlds maybe????

Sydwayz
12-31-2009, 02:02 AM
... If you want a closed deck with outboards look to Pantera.

We can build the 28, 33, and 37 Active Thunders with outboards as well.

I am quite surprised that these two boats are still for sale:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2000_active_thunder_37_avh-o23739-en.html

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=472

L-V
12-31-2009, 08:57 AM
I wish I was in the market when that stiletto was for sale last year for 75K

the problem with that is I will have that much in it restoring it, im almost there now, but it will be worth it!

drpete3
12-31-2009, 09:02 AM
the problem with that is I will have that much in it restoring it, im almost there now, but it will be worth it!

are you talking aobut this boat? http://www.lakecumberlandmarine.com/used_vehicle_details.htm?vehicleId=47ff1f5a4046387201fee2db74c21634

Last year it was on OSO for 75K

drpete3
12-31-2009, 09:03 AM
The 2000 Active thunder looks like a pretty good deal

Jassman
12-31-2009, 09:15 AM
are you talking aobut this boat? http://www.lakecumberlandmarine.com/used_vehicle_details.htm?vehicleId=47ff1f5a4046387201fee2db74c21634

was just told very rough condition.. 6 out of 10. soft cabin floor, and needs much TLC.. but has wet 6's.

BRD
12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks bro...Maybe we can hook up for some cocktails in florida some time this year...Key West worlds maybe????

Sounds good !:cheers2:

drpete3
12-31-2009, 10:01 AM
was just told very rough condition.. 6 out of 10. soft cabin floor, and needs much TLC.. but has wet 6's.Thats too bad. How do you neglect somthing you spend soo much money on? I guess you get what you pay for. If it was an 8 outa 10 it would be 125+

Jassman
12-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Thats too bad. How do you neglect somthing you spend soo much money on? I guess you get what you pay for. If it was an 8 outa 10 it would be 125+

ya.. if the queen had balls she'd be king.. Hillary.:rolleyes:

captain55
01-01-2010, 02:28 PM
We can build the 28, 33, and 37 Active Thunders with outboards as well.

I am quite surprised that these two boats are still for sale:

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=472

Sydwayz, how much do the 28' and 33' weigh? Will either one run 60 mph with twin OBs? Captain55

ufix1
01-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Outerlimits!!

L-V
01-01-2010, 05:49 PM

wrong one sorry

richanton
01-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks bro.....If you know anyone interested let me know.

Will do.......at that price I think it's a deal.

Tank
01-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Will do.......at that price I think it's a deal.

Thanks bro....It's only a deal if a buyer that brings the money and takes the boat thinks so:)