PDA

View Full Version : Should we have a thread in memory of ?

boatme
03-24-2009, 02:40 PM
I have some nice shots of some people that were active in offhore boating and have since left us

Would it be apropriate to start a thread of those who were here but now have passed ? Pics of them and there boats and toys ??

I think it would be a nice place to remeber people who loved the sport and to keep them remebered on a thread

Thoughts ???

old377guy
03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
that's a great idea.

45Sonic
03-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Marc,

While I agree with you and your reasoning, it has led in the past to certain people voicing their opinions that have not been in good taste. I do know this from personal experience (although not from this site).

I would like to see it done if it could be monitored to maintain the dignity in which it it deserves.

boatme
03-24-2009, 03:01 PM
How hard is it to have a spot just for "IN MEMORY"? then we can post a new thread with each person and attach pics of them boating, or their boats, or familys, or us with them, ect... would be a great place to retain this information and easy to find by person

Moderators ?? can this be done ???

boatme
03-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Marc,

While I agree with you and your reasoning, it has led in the past to certain people voicing their opinions that have not been in good taste. I do know this from personal experience (although not from this site).

I would like to see it done if it could be monitored to maintain the dignity in which it it deserves.

I agree you cant stop stupid, and some idiot will start trouble, but it does not mean we should not do it. We just, as you said, have to monitor it

I am raising my hand i would moderate that part of the site

Ratickle
03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
I have mixed feeling on that one. Maybe we should get our Icons opinions?

boatme
03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I can see how it is a mixed bag but there are memorials to most anyone that has passed in any sport

why not meoriallize the boaters and boating enthusiasts here ?

It would be somthing not done on any other site and may be a great resourse over the years from which to pull info and pictures on those that were envolved in our sport in a large way or jsut as an enthusiast Could be a great memorial

OldSchool
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM
I can see how it is a mixed bag but there are memorials to most anyone that has passed in any sport

why not meoriallize the boaters and boating enthusiasts here ?

It would be somthing not done on any other site and may be a great resourse over the years from which to pull info and pictures on those that were envolved in our sport in a large way or jsut as an enthusiast Could be a great memorial

Bill is right. As shameful as it is that someone would be a dick about a memorial to someone, we've seen it happen in the past.

It is a good idea, but let me talk it over with a few people and get their input before you move forward. Thanks for the PM and I'll get back in touch with you.

Thanks again,
Craig:)

OldSchool
03-24-2009, 03:41 PM
On the other hand, boating season is getting ready to start (thank God!) and those of us that are boaters can bring interesting stories to the board every week!!!

:26::26::26:

MarylandMark
03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Sharkey has one...

http://www.sharkey-images.com/tributes.html

boatme
03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
On the other hand, boating season is getting ready to start (thank God!) and those of us that are boaters can bring interesting stories to the board every week!!!

:26::26::26:

I sent Chris a PM too

boatme
03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Sharkey has one...

Didn't know that and i just talked to him this morning

boatme
03-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Sharkey has one...

Still think it would be a nice addition here but that is just me

MarylandMark
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm not taking any thing away from your idea by any means and do think it is a great idea!! Didn't mean it as in I was not a fan by any means if it read that way.

Just making sure we all knew what the Shark had out there already was all.

boatme
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm not taking any thing away from your idea by any means and do think it is a great idea!! Didn't mean it as in I was not a fan by any means if it read that way.

Just making sure we all knew what the Shark had out there already was all.

Idid not take it taht way I just was commenting i did not know he had one as well (Good for him) Tim is original guy that is why he does what he does

I just think it would be nice here on the site

If we didnt do anything, and never acted on our thought process, then I would never have been married 4 times (hmmm wait that is NOT a good thing) LOL

Ok forget that

I still think it is a good idea LOL and i am sticking to it :26::26::26:

Ratickle
03-24-2009, 03:56 PM
If we didnt do anything, and never acted on our thought process, then I would never have been married 4 times (hmmm wait that is NOT a good thing) LOL

Ok forget that

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

AugiePensa
03-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Marc, I think it's a great idea. That will keep them all close to our hearts and thoughts.

Chris
03-24-2009, 05:21 PM
I think it's a great idea.

And if someone even thinks of speaking ill of someone from our sport that's passed...

OldSchool
03-24-2009, 07:59 PM
And if someone even thinks of speaking ill of someone from our sport that's passed...

Swift justice!!!!!!:boxing_smiley::sifone::sifone:

cosmic12
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
If it is put in the Dock section I will keep an eye on it as I am sure Air Packer will also. It is a good idea and it will be taken care of.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Sharkey has one...

Thank you Mark !!

Marc,

I think it would be a great idea to have it on this site as well!

I am still short on many photos for my Tribute page, and if this avenue helps with filling in the missing photos, I am all for it !

Plus we can never have enough thoughts on those we have lost!

PARADOX
03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Charlie was on my boat last weekend, and we had lunch with Bob and his crew. Charlie had some great stories, funny, as well as some sad once.
I think a "memorial" thread or place would be a great recognition to the passed legends.
Anyone makes trouble on that spot should become a "passed" as well.

Expensive Date
03-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Great idea maybe it should be a locked thread that only administrators can add to.That would stop any non reverent posts

AIR TIME
03-24-2009, 09:05 PM
A very nice idea it would be sad for someone to post a negative remark on a person who has passed away:(.

boatme
03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
should I just start a Thread ?? or should it be a forum site?? Can it be a forum site??

Expensive Date
03-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I am thinking it should be a forum sub section

boatme
03-24-2009, 09:25 PM
i think so to but that is up to the Board Gods

MetalBrosRacing
03-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I proposed this on OSO some time again, didn't get too far.

Ratickle
03-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I am thinking it should be a forum sub section

i think so to but that is up to the Board Gods

I proposed this on OSO some time again,

I am still short on many photos for my Tribute page, and if this avenue helps with filling in the missing photos, I am all for it !

Plus we can never have enough thoughts on those we have lost!

What if it were a hot link up by the contact us, events etc at the top of the main page to Sharkey's tribute page and we all worked on it together?

Chris
03-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Great idea maybe it should be a locked thread that only administrators can add to.That would stop any non reverent posts

We did something similar with Media. Only certain media pros can post. We could appoint a few "curators".

Chris
03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
What would you think if we renamed the Media subsection? It could be something more inclusive, like "Collections". Then we could have several forums. The existing one could be renamed to something like "modern era" we could add a "classics" and then another could be our fallen competitors forum.

Let me know.

JupiterSunsation
03-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Ok sounds nice but ONE CONDITION.............When the time comes Stecz is omitted....

Expensive Date
03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
What would you think if we renamed the Media subsection? It could be something more inclusive, like "Collections". Then we could have several forums. The existing one could be renamed to something like "modern era" we could add a "classics" and then another could be our fallen competitors forum.

Let me know.

Sounds good Chris I could help out with this might not be able right away as I have as you know a lot going on with my Dad

boatme
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM
I am in and will help if you would like

boatme
03-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok sounds nice but ONE CONDITION.............When the time comes Stecz is omitted....

He would just be one more STEZtistic

boatme
03-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Chris Let me know what i can do to keep this moving forward

Chris
03-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Ideas. nail down exactly how this should work. Identify who's going to be working on it. Determine what the names of the forums would be. Do that and I'll make sure the space gets built.

I want to make sure we have plenty of content lined up and the people to make this work. That and a good plan of action and this thing is near-done.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Let me know how I can help....

boatme
03-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Chris

Tim and I will take this on (won't we Tim)

give us a few days to put our heads together

7xchamp
03-25-2009, 09:23 AM
I have mixed feeling on that one. Maybe we should get our Icons opinions?

I think it`s a good idea, I have always wanted to somehow recognize and remember the people who were the stars from the past. I have always been an advocate of some type of Hall of fame for offshore. As everyone who knows Offshore, our sport is one that really has no recorded history, other than the Searace book from John Crouse, plus a few others. The list of past hero`s, legends, Icons etc. is getting longer every year, and every year that goes by is another year they are forgotten. I will start a list of people worthy of recognition, some recent who have been written about, and some dating way back:
Tom Gentry
Al Copeland
Betty Cook
Rocky Aoki
Bill Sirois
Harold Smitty Smith
Hurley Stepp
Don Pruitt
Dick Bertram
Dick Genth
Carl Kiekhaefer
Sam Sera
Jim Wynn
Kevin Brown
Carmichael ( Carlos & Charlies )
Lavin ( Jesse James )
Mike Poppa
David Albert
James Beard
Davey Gilmore

Unfortunatly there are many more, and I am sure the members will remember certain people from there respective era`s There are also many European`s to remember as well.
Good luck if the threads start.I will try and contribute as time permits.

boatme
03-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Ok in working on this we need to possibly categorize

Call this part of the Forum -"Offshore Memories" Or "Offshore Remembered"

then categories such as

1) Racers and Racing --- Anyone involved in Racing Offshore past or present

2) Poker Runners -------Anyone that is or has been active in poker runs

3) Offshore influence -- Those that have contributed to the sport

4) Offshore Characters -- Web site stand outs and offshore fans who have become known for their attachment to Offshore

5) Offshore equipment -- Boats or facilities that have been totaled, burned, destroyed, or sank (boats must be GONE never to be resurrected to qualify)

In these catagories each thread will be titled by name of person, boat , or facility

Just some ideas rolling around

Chris can we do this ???

Again I am happy to help moderate this or be part of the approval process, and have all things submitted to me, or a couple of people on a committee, (better idea) then after approval post it in the proper part of the site

Sunsation96
03-25-2009, 11:04 AM
:iagree:Let's do it great idea!

boatme
03-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Thinking more about it i dont think it needs to be a submit to get posted proposition but just moderated closly so if something isn't kosher a moderator can pull it and send a PM to the poster with explanation

MarylandMark
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Not to offend but that reminds me of boat "racing" today- too complicated and too many classes. Keep it simple.

2 classes:

Boats- then a thread for all the famous boats

People- then a thread for all the famous people (maybe instead of a thumbs up/down or whatever some artwork on the left side could be a RIP or some thing to show who is no longer boating with us?)

BlackJack58
03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Not to offend but that reminds me of boat "racing" today- too complicated and too many classes. Keep it simple.

2 classes:

People- then a thread for all the famous people (maybe instead of a thumbs up/down or whatever some artwork on the left side could be a RIP or some thing to show who is no longer boating with us?)

I would tend to think this is a good way to go. Sometimes simpler IS better.

7xchamp
03-25-2009, 01:39 PM

2 classes:

I agree, I think it should only be about the person, and the various stories about that person and the equip. they were in. I thought that is what the original intent was ???????? I think we should pick one person at a time, and everyone can contribute a story until we are content we have done as much as we can for that person. Then move to the next. That way what we say and do will be recorded for history. Start with the list that I started if you like and add to it. I realize that I may be of the few who could write about the individuals I listed, hope I`m wrong, but many of the Icons around today are not aware of the various websites, and/or are not computer oriented. If I tell the stories,then I may as well write my book, that I keep threatening to do. It`s just all about time .

boatme
03-25-2009, 02:01 PM
You are the most qualified that is for sure
I think you need to write the book ( I would by the first 20 of them ) and I will help you reserch the the info on the latter years :)

Heck we need to get Red Crain out of the flying dingy and on the computer as well Maybe this will get some of the old timers more involved (present company excepted)

Tom A.
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
How about a category: In Memorium
Then a thread started for each person who has left us using a simple title of their name.