PDA

View Full Version : 5 Days For The Homeless

Perlmudder
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Anybody every hear about this program? I recently heard about it when I saw a group of students promoting it. Pretty much a group of students spend 5 days living outside on the campus to experience what it is like to be homeless. They must still attend all of their classes, and all other university commitments. The only food they are allowed is donations from other students, and in extreme cases they can trade their blanket for a meal.

When I first heard about it, I thought It was one of the neatest ideas. After reading the blogs that the students posted, it became even more interesting to me. Next year I will be done school after the first semester, so I think I'm going to participate in the drive during the second semester. For some reason, I think it could really be an eye opening experience, and all the money raised goes to good causes imo.

Anybody else ever hear of a program like this? What are your guys thoughts? I think it would be sort of cool to go all survivorman style and set up traps in the fields and catch animals and eat them. It would bring a whole new aspect to the program I think.

Thanks,
Josh

clayinaustin
03-24-2009, 01:44 PM
There are two types of homeless people...

Those people who need help so that they can help themselves and become contributing members of society, and those people who cannot help themselves and will never be able to contribute to socity.

There needs to be two completely different programs baised on these two needs. Going "survivorman" does nothing to help either group.

Just my two-cents...

Chris
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
We don't have a homeless problem. We have a mental illness/substance abuse problem.

Problem is, those are ugly issues- unlike sick children or afflicted elderly. Those are warm & fuzzy.

The awareness is nice, but it's tough to get people to care after they're made aware. I'm very conservative in my outlook on these things but this is one area that only government can help. And unfortunately government is run by guys trying to keep their jobs spending the voter's money. It's a harsh, unfortunate circle.

But kudos to you for being interested in it.

Expensive Date
03-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Just go to the worlds in KW and don't get a room it will kinda be the same

Airpacker
03-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Toronto spend 250 million a year in tax money on the homeless industry. I say industry because thats what it is.
We have professional "homeless" people making a few grand a week in cash begging and badgering people. They don't pay rent or taxes. They live in City operated or public / private partnership "hostels" for free and use the money they scrounge for booze and drugs.

250 mil a year has done nothing to solve the "homeless crisis" but it sure has made some people rich.

They should be using the money to care for the mentally troubled and those that end up homeless due to no real fault of their own but no, they spend it on the Pros and the companies that enable them.

Example. Toronto does a yearly homeless sensus. It came out in the news that people were being offered 100 dollar visa cash cards to take a quick course and then pretend to be homeless when the surveyors go out. Only to increase the head count and get more tax money thrown at the problem.

Homelss Industry I say. Ptewwwwy

Perlmudder
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
After re reading my first post, and then what everybody else said, I guess I need to be more clear about what it is I would like to see done. I more just want to do the program in an attempt to raise money for people who have mental/physical issues which has lead them to being homeless. I really don't care about the other ones. The only reason I mentioned going survivorman is because only living off of what people donate could be rough! I remember reading a couple years ago about a "homeless" lady who had an apartment, big screen tv, and a car. That is the type of crap which makes me sick.

Bobcat
03-24-2009, 04:56 PM
another three years of Obama and I will be able to tell you first hand ( your hearts in the right place josh !)

Sea-Dated
03-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Sounds interesting but I don't think it would be the same knowing it will be over in 5 days vs never knowing if you will get out of the situation.

Good job on trying to raise interest though.