PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Kittenger

Dude! Sweet!
03-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Is there a guy who deserves a random holiday (or possibly some sort of awesome drinking game) named after him more than this guy? And he was a boat dude!

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/kittinger.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger

Born in Tampa, Florida (U.S.), he was educated at the Bolles School in Jacksonville, Florida, and the University of Florida. After racing speedboats as a teenager, Kittinnger entered military service in March 1949 and after completing aviation cadet training, was commissioned as an officer in the United States Air Force in March 1950. He was subsequently assigned to the 86th Fighter-Bomber Wing based at Ramstein Air Base in West Germany, flying the F-84 Thunderjet and F-86 Sabre.

In 1954 he was transferred to Holloman AFB, New Mexico and the Air Force Missile Development Center (AFMDC). Kittinger flew the observation/chase plane which monitored Colonel John Paul Stapp's rocket sled run of 632 mph (1,017 km/h) in 1955. Kittinger was impressed by the dedication of Stapp, a pioneer in aerospace medicine. Stapp, in turn, was impressed with Kittinger's skillful jet piloting, later recommending him for space-related aviation research work. Stapp was to foster the high altitude tests which would lead to Kittinger's record leap. In 1957 as part of Man High he set an interim balloon altitude record of 96,760 feet (29,500 m) in Man High I, for which he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Captain Kittinger was then assigned to the Aerospace Medical Research Laboratories at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. For Project Excelsior (meaning "ever upward", a name given to the project by Colonel Stapp), as part of research into high altitude bailout, he made a series of three parachute jumps wearing a pressurized suit, from a helium balloon with an open gondola.

The first, from 76,400 feet (23,287 m) on November 16, 1959 was a near tragedy when an equipment malfunction caused him to lose consciousness, but the automatic parachute saved him (he went into a flat spin at a rotational velocity of 120 rpm; the g-force at his extremities was calculated to be over 22 times that of gravity, setting another record). On December 11, 1959 he jumped again from 74,700 feet (22,769 m). For that return jump Kittinger was awarded the Leo Stevens parachute medal.

On August 16, 1960 he made the final jump from the Excelsior III at 102,800 feet (31,300 m). Towing a small drogue chute for stabilization, he fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds reaching a maximum speed of 614 mph [1][2] (988 km/h or 274 m/s) before opening his parachute at 18,000 feet (5,500 m). Pressurization for his right glove malfunctioned during the ascent, and his right hand swelled to twice its normal size.[3] He set historical numbers for highest balloon ascent, highest parachute jump, longest drogue-fall (4 min), and fastest speed by a human through the atmosphere[4]. These are still current USAF records, but were not submitted for aerospace world records to the FAI.

The jumps were made in a "rocking-chair" position, descending on his back, rather than the usual arch familiar to skydivers, because he was wearing a 60 lb (27 kg) "kit" on his behind and his pressure suit naturally formed that shape when inflated, a shape appropriate for sitting in an airplane cockpit.

For the series of jumps, Kittinger was decorated with an oak leaf cluster to his Distinguished Flying Cross and awarded the Harmon Trophy by President Dwight Eisenhower.

Dude! Sweet!
03-20-2009, 09:03 PM
He also is purported to have been equipped with the largest pair of testicles ever found on a human being... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BOK1aMIhp4&feature=related

Perlmudder
03-20-2009, 09:34 PM
that guy is a ****kin badass! lets invent a drinking game after him like you said!

Perlmudder
03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
or we could start using it like a verb as in "don't make me kittenger your ass mutha ****a!" I have some friends from Oakville who popularized the word "chate", which is like lame. Some drug dealer use to deal light and his last name was Chate, so thats where the word came from.

Ratickle
03-20-2009, 09:37 PM
On August 16, 1960 he made the final jump from the Excelsior III at 102,800 feet (31,300 m). Towing a small drogue chute for stabilization, he fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds reaching a maximum speed of 614 mph [1][2] (988 km/h or 274 m/s) before opening his parachute at 18,000 feet (5,500 m). Pressurization for his right glove malfunctioned during the ascent, and his right hand swelled to twice its normal size.[3] He set historical numbers for highest balloon ascent, highest parachute jump, longest drogue-fall (4 min), and fastest speed by a human through the atmosphere[4]. These are still current USAF records, but were not submitted for aerospace world records to the FAI.

That's 19.5 miles:ack2:

Perlmudder
03-20-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chate

hmmph. just looked it up, they say it means "chitty deal" but thats not how they use it.

Dude! Sweet!
03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
That's a good call... I dig that. Kittenger as a verb. Nicely done. "Bob dropped a full beer into the polar bear cage and rather than let it go, he kittengered up, climbed down into the enclosure and got his beer."

Perlmudder
03-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Well now we must define what it means. I sorta like the whole "kittenger up" as meaning he "manned up".

Ratickle
03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
He also is purported to have been equipped with the largest pair of testicles ever found on a human being... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BOK1aMIhp4&feature=related

And small brain?

Wouldn't you quit after the first couple of near deaths?

Bobcat
03-20-2009, 11:30 PM
That's a good call... I dig that. Kittenger as a verb. Nicely done. "Bob dropped a full beer into the polar bear cage and rather than let it go, he kittengered up, climbed down into the enclosure and got his beer."

I have never dropped a full beer in my entire life, plus you know I am not allowed near the zoo:(

Dude! Sweet!
03-21-2009, 12:09 AM
And small brain?

Wouldn't you quit after the first couple of near deaths?

I wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING if I had to stop doing everything I've nearly killed myself doing...