PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Trim pump

BY U BOY
03-19-2009, 12:26 AM
What weight oil? Should I just use 10w30 or is there something better to use.
I have heard everything from ATF to hydraulic fluid. It looks and feels like motor oil in there now.

Also How do I flush the system out before I put in the new oil?

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-19-2009, 08:20 AM
new Atf was used years ago. !0 30 or 10 40 is used recently. The flush disconnect on outside fitting and push the corresponding switch.

jmeng
03-19-2009, 08:34 AM
I couldn't decide what to use so just caved in and bought Merc Power Steering and Trim fluid.

Sea-Dated
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
new Atf was used years ago. !0 30 or 10 40 is used recently. The flush disconnect on outside fitting and push the corresponding switch.

Is this eaasy to do? I noticed last year when I winterized that I have one drive not going down all the way. I was going to flush and bleed the hydraulic system before I dig in any deeper to see if that might somve the problem. I have no idea how long the old fluid has been in there.

BY U BOY
03-19-2009, 10:45 PM

What do you mean? Do you mean I need to take the hose off at the trim cylinder and then push the trim switch? This is something I have never fooled with.

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-19-2009, 10:51 PM
What do you mean? Do you mean I need to take the hose off at the trim cylinder and then push the trim switch? This is something I have never fooled with.

That is one way. If the fitting isn't stuck from salt. Another is to use a turkey baster and empty pump. The fluid only needs to be changed if it has signs of water in it. Water will make it look creamy.

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Sea if it doesn't go down all the way check the cylinder end caps for corrosion. In salt water the corrosion will push the seal out and in time bind the cylinder.

Was you boat ever a salt water boat?

BY U BOY
03-19-2009, 11:27 PM
That is one way. If the fitting isn't stuck from salt. Another is to use a turkey baster and empty pump. The fluid only needs to be changed if it has signs of water in it. Water will make it look creamy.

It doesn't have water in it but I have no idea how long its been in there. I have owned the boat 4 years and never changed it.But the main reason is I moved the pump to do someother work and most of the oil leaked out and I don't want to mix oils or what ever is in there.

Sea-Dated
03-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Sea if it doesn't go down all the way check the cylinder end caps for corrosion. In salt water the corrosion will push the seal out and in time bind the cylinder.

Was you boat ever a salt water boat?

Yes, it was in salt for a couple seasons before I got it. Is this something I can fix or is it a big deal?

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Its one of those things. First determine if that is what it really is. Second see if it will come apart. The work is in the dis assembly. The end caps come with seals loaded. If it won't come apart than a new cylinder is in order.

BY U BOY
03-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks Jim