PDA

View Full Version : repairing plexiglass???

yesrej
03-18-2009, 05:06 PM
the corner piece of my windscreen broke off and i need to glue it back on. anyone have an idea of what kind of glue i should use?? trying to make it as less noticable as possible. i dont want to buy a whole new screen.

MetalBrosRacing
03-18-2009, 05:13 PM
you can try a 2 part epoxy but they are never really the same after they break> you can also tint the screen with a very light tint and it will help.

Buoy
03-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Don't know if this would work for plexi...
Check optical supply places that sell items for grinding lenses.
Or I'll try to look into it at work tomorrow.
Look into "slab-off" kit's
It's used to bond two optical lenses to each other, CR-39 plastic, and Polycarb. I've never used one, but they are used by a lab that we send work to.

Buoy
03-18-2009, 05:17 PM
you can try a 2 part epoxy but they are never really the same after they break> you can also tint the screen with a very light tint and it will help.

True, they are never perfect, but with proper buffing and polishing, I think you could get it where it would be nearly unnoticeable unless you pointed it out.

stecz20
03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
glue will never hold.... cover the breaks with a bracket strip...

PARADOX
03-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Pics. please, we could get you a better answer.

Don't try any "glue" yet. Most will not hold, and some will melt or th echemical reaction of the glue will stain the plexiglass.
Plexi? acrylic? Lexan? to many variables. More info. I got some commercial "stuff" you could try, but Chris is probably right.

Ratickle
03-18-2009, 07:36 PM
You need to know the actual compound of the glass. Most have a chemical bonding agent that will actually fuse, not glue, the components back together. Actually makes the two pieces one.

The most used application of this is aquarium construction. Is there an acrylic aquarium manufacturer in your area?

Pachanga
03-18-2009, 07:46 PM
:D What about permabond? Sure kept the quarters glued to the hall floors when I was in High School!

Audiofn
03-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Go to your local plexi glass dealer or plastics company and they should be able to bond it back together very nicely for you.

yesrej
03-18-2009, 09:02 PM
wow.. im glad i asked. i will try to get pics for you guys by this weekend.

sellsman11
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
two words.....Duct Tape!:sifone:

Griff
03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Grind off the other side to match:biggrinjester:

stecz20
03-18-2009, 09:25 PM
wow.. im glad i asked. i will try to get pics for you guys by this weekend.

you just work on your mission.. that sh it box dont go fast enoutgh to even make you eyes tear up..... dont let me down boy... you mess this up, your out for life....:ack2::ack2::ack2:

yesrej
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
i dont think i like your attitude...

stecz20
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM
i dont think i like your attitude...

doesnt matter what you like.... your my punk until you get this right....

yesrej
03-18-2009, 09:56 PM
i just hope you dont get sea sick...

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
They make plexiglass glue. I have seen it before in a plastic supply catalog.

It actually melts and bonds. It had a needle in the bottle cap.

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-18-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.rplastics.com/plastic-adhesive.html

Chris
03-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Acrylics use acetone to solvent weld. It's going to make a mess on the surrounding areas that you're going to have to sand and buff out. You need to saturate it long enough to soften the material aty the fracture. Some people make a pre-thickened solvent that has a percentage of dissolved acrylic in it- it is thicker and it fills gaps and voids better. Polycarbonate (Lexan) isn't repairable. But it's unimaginably tough to break in the first place.

US1Fountain
03-19-2009, 12:04 AM
We use a Weldon 3 glue for acrylic at work everyday building test section for the nuclear students. Theses sections are under water pressure and vary in water temp. They get all excited over bubbles. :)
It's like water and uses a syringe to apply. It'll make any surface cloudy that it comes in contact with, so apply to joint only. Take every precaution to keep it from running onto the panels themselves. Any access runs can be wiped up with your finger if done immediately. Using a rag or such just melts the plastic.
Done right, the material other than at the joint will fail before the joint itself. Pick up a couple scrap peices to practice. The parts must be held together, not tightly though, then the solvent in the syringe is applied to the joint using capilary action. Only have seconds to apply. Can't apply to one piece, then place other peice onto joint. Usually the solvent will evaporate before you could do so.

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/displayFile.aspx?docid=50&filename=/Public/Vendor+PDFs/Weldon.pdf

OneBadInjun
03-20-2009, 03:15 PM
plexi shops can supply you the right glue. its easy to use. its called 'edc' or ethyldychloride.