PDA

View Full Version : This hits home with.......well most of us!

Davidmnc
03-11-2009, 08:27 AM
http://axetaxesnotjobs.com/

Perlmudder
03-11-2009, 08:45 AM
still cheaper then in canada!

Tony
03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
People will continue to drink. Just like people will contunue to buy gas, that is until they decide that they can no longer afford it. This leaves politicians baffled that the tax dollars just stoped comming in. So what do they do, look for something else to tax. Its a neverending cycle.

phragle
03-11-2009, 12:20 PM
kind of like the smoking ban... a local bar had a huge banner that said "Ohio, where are all these non smoking customers?"

Buoy
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Yep, taxes are a-coming in the way of smokes and alcohol.
This is a chance for a new prohibition - but they are doing it smarter this time.
This time, you can legally drink, but we'll start limiting where you can get it, and make it so expensive that you can't really afford it.
Smokes, let's make that unbelievably expensive, and then restrict it to only be in places that make it miserable - Standing outside to have a smoke in 30 mph wind with a chill factor of 10 below.
OH, and the Gov't makes big money off this. And people will be healthier, so we won't need to actually treat anyone under our new Gov't healthcare policies.
Now, living in Kentucky, the smokes laws have been pretty lax, but that's a-changing.
There are also a few places around that I can still smoke indoors, the shocking one, is that my local Burger King still has the old gold-colored tin foil ashtrays on the table.
A few weeks ago, I could still pick up a carton of Marlboro for ~$30.00. It just went up to $40 with a tax hike.

My beer went up just recently also, not sure if that was also tax related, but about 20% on the case.

I was hoping AZ would be more lax on the smoking thing - Heh, they were the first state to ban indoor smoking in '71. Hell, I was born in '71.
You still had smoking sections in AIRPLANES in the 80's.
Now, at PHX, there is a smoking area outside the doors of the airport - the smoking area is as wide as the bench and ashtray there.

Don't even get me started on all this...