PDA

View Full Version : Strange coincidences.

Buoy
03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Anyone have an odd coincidence with another member on the boards.

I have two:
Back on another board, several years ago, I was talking with another member about Lake Erie (this was when the board was still pretty small, maybe 10-15K members).
I said I was from Toledo when I lived there.
He said he was also from Toledo.
I said well I actually grew up in a small town named Rossford.
He said he did too.
Come to find out, we graduated from the same HS - me four yrs after him.
Never met back then, but have gotten together a few times since - only met because of the boating boards.
Glassdave.

2). Met another guy that had already revealed on the boards he was from Erie/Toledo area, and started BS'ing with him, and mutually hijacked each others threads.
We've sat down and broke bread a few times since.
Saw him a few weeks ago, and while having beers and just hanging out, we realize that in the mid/late 90's we actually lived on the same street about a block away from each other. We passed each others houses daily.
- only met because of the boat boards.
Fund Razor.

Anybody else have something strange like that?

Bobcat
03-10-2009, 06:38 PM
no,too creepy to meet people on line:sifone:

Buoy
03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
no,too creepy to meet people on line:sifone:

OK, now that you said that, I'm slipping into paranoia mode.
Are they actually both special agents for the FBI that have been tracking me for over 20 yrs.
Oh dude, you're freaking me out now...
Where's my roll of reynolds wrap???
And why is that van parked at the end of the street?
I think my neighbor might be in on this too.

DollaBill
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I told Stecz I was a man and he said "what a coincidence. Thats what I want to be after my surgery"

Tony
03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
OK, now that you said that, I'm slipping into paranoia mode.
Are they actually both special agents for the FBI that have been tracking me for over 20 yrs.
Oh dude, you're freaking me out now...
Where's my roll of reynolds wrap???
And why is that van parked at the end of the street?
I think my neighbor might be in on this too.

Havent you learned by now, you cant trust the chickens. They see everything, they know everything. If youve noticed one hanging around, kill it now before its too late. :ack2:

Buoy
03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Havent you learned by now, you cant trust the chickens. They see everything, they know everything. If youve noticed one hanging around, kill it now before its too late. :ack2:

Thanks man, I'm peeking through the blinds now.
Don't see any chickens. Must be in Bobcat's neighborhood.
I see snapping turtles.
I'll kill those phuckers from now on...

fund razor
03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
That still kind of freaks me out about being on the same street as Buoy for awhile. Like.... 10 houses down and across the street.

I was even in the house when he owned it. (He had a tenant, I think.)

Small world.

Sydwayz
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Yep, I've had several.

Coolest one is a guy from my small hometown, DeMotte, Indiana. About the same time that I left for the military, my Dad started storing the family boat in a barn at a Christmas Tree Farm not far from the house. I never really knew the specific family, but it was a small community, and there were quite a few generations and families with the same last name, Kingma. Fast forward a few years, and I end up chatting with "Payton" on OSO, and turns out he is Mark Kingma, and stored the family boat for several seasons. One year my Dad didn't return with the boat, and that happened to be because he sold his boat to enjoy my Sonic, which in turn was why/how I had gotten on OSO; when I met up with Payton/Mark.

Similar happening IRT to same hometown, as I was talking to another guy on OSO about my Avalanche 2500, as he wanted to set his up similar to mine. Turns out he is the uncle of a classmate that I knew from K-12. Totally unrelated, but another classmate of ours ended up on the World's Strongest Man circuit for a couple years... Brian Schoonveld. He used to "train" by flipping tractor tires and carrying blocks in slings in the fields/farms where we grew up.

glassdave
03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Anyone have an odd coincidence with another member on the boards.

I have two:
Back on another board, several years ago, I was talking with another member about Lake Erie (this was when the board was still pretty small, maybe 10-15K members).
He said he did too.
Come to find out, we graduated from the same HS - me four yrs after him.
Never met back then, but have gotten together a few times since - only met because of the boating boards.
Glassdave.

yea that was this thread, C Spray also had ties to Rossford as well. I think at that point we had all known each other for a while on the board for a little while and than it was like . . . . hey . . . . how bout that :sifone:

page two half way down.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87551-all-you-lake-erie-osoers.html

phragle
03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
what has freaked me out is how many people know where I live, (due to the landmark that was in my back yard), I noticed glassdaves explorer (kinda hard to miss) running around before I met him. Big Chuby and I were talking one nite and realised we had a mutual friend completely unrelated to boating... and my mother has been warning me about Stecz since I was around 3 years old.

I was trying to explain to glassdave where I lived once and he was like "yeah..I think I have been to a couple parties there"

stecz20
03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
yeah i met a whole alot of ass holes that like the same sh it as i do.... then i met this really creepy guy that said he wants to take me under wing and teach me how to take over the world.. i told him the world is already mine, what else can you offer me jerk off...

but thats just my story, lets hear yours....

fund razor
03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
what has freaked me out is how many people know where I live, (due to the landmark that was in my back yard), I noticed glassdaves explorer (kinda hard to miss) running around before I met him. Big Chuby and I were talking one nite and realised we had a mutual friend completely unrelated to boating... and my mother has been warning me about Stecz since I was around 3 years old.

I was trying to explain to glassdave where I lived once and he was like "yeah..I think I have been to a couple parties there"

Oh yeah..... Phragle.

Phragle lived on the way to many popular but out of the way marinas and yacht clubs. In fact, I still belong to a yacht club past his house. So many of us remember his Dad's trimaran in the yard. I have gone down the road and seen his Nova sitting in his yard before I ever knew that he was on the offshore board. Everyone from around here knows his house when they hear the description. :D
Oh and then Phragle and I realize that we work within a mile of each other.... in a different state. :D

glassdave
03-10-2009, 08:22 PM

yea Rob i remember that tri maran from way back, you got any pics of that? That must have sucked to cut it up, what was the story with that thing anyway?

t500hps
03-10-2009, 08:23 PM
got to hanging out with a local couple on the river real often.........turns out we graduated HS together but didn't know each other then. Another girl that lives 4-5 houses down the street graduated with me too....didn't know that for awhile either.

glassdave
03-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Oh yeah..... Phragle.

Phragle lived on the way to many popular but out of the way marinas and yacht clubs. . . . .

two words . . . . Turttle Club :sifone:

Buoy
03-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Dave, thanks for digging up that thread.
Yeah it's all pretty wild.

And yes, Phragle's Dad's trimaran was a landmark, if you were a boater in the area, you knew the boat.

Pretty wild, we were probably tied up within 100' feet of each other so many times, and we actually lived and grew up in each others back yards, stood in line together to get a beer, ...
wierd.
I haven't crossed path's with stecz or dollabill, or cashbar yet - but I look forward to it.
There are many more on the list here that I still need to meet, a few of you are on short notice when I get West (

Buoy
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
That still kind of freaks me out about being on the same street as Buoy for awhile. Like.... 10 houses down and across the street.

I was even in the house when he owned it. (He had a tenant, I think.)

Small world.

Yep, it was a duplex, and I was renting the upstairs.

fund razor
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Yep, it was a duplex, and I was renting the upstairs.
Oh, ok... I didn't notice you because you were rental people. :biggrinjester::26:

fund razor
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Peanut butter jelly time.

fund razor
03-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Dam 30 second rule.

We should get six shots as fast as we can go and then we have to wait 60 to "reload."

BradB
03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
two words . . . . Turttle Club :sifone:

before my time........ I have heard stories, but was just a little tike then. last thing I remember is when it was sinking... oh well new adventures!!

fund razor
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
before my time........ I have heard stories, but was just a little tike then. last thing I remember is when it was sinking... oh well new adventures!!
Before it was sinking, it was only listing.
So we tied up to it, ordered some too strong rum and cokes and hit the head.
I remember the kitchen. It was the deck. There was a grill outside. That was the kicthen. :D

BradB
03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Before it was sinking, it was only listing.
So we tied up to it, ordered some too strong rum and cokes and hit the head.
I remember the kitchen. It was the deck. There was a grill outside. That was the kicthen. :D

Sounds like it was my kind of place!!

glassdave
03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Sounds like it was my kind of place!!

Brad . . . . it was the coolest place ever. Imagine . . . a floating bar on a barge . . . . Its probably for the best that it is no longer there. :sifone:

Buoy
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Oh, ok... I didn't notice you because you were rental people. :biggrinjester::26:

For the record, I owned the place, and the rental upstairs paid 2/3rds the mortgage...

The Turtle club, I was pretty young, but I remember it.
Yeah, the kind of place that needs brought back, but would never meet the codes and regulations in anyway.
Basically a beach BBQ, located on a barge, and operated as a bar/business. You couldn't pull it off today.

fund razor
03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I knew that you had a tenant Tim, J/K. :D

Buoy
03-10-2009, 09:32 PM
You're making up for a few sober days aren't you...

glassdave
03-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Brad!! Check you PM's!!!

JJ Apache
03-10-2009, 09:33 PM
It was during my time, and I can tell you; 'You bet your sweet ass I'm a turtle!!':cheers2:

glassdave
03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Brad!! Check you PM's!!!

Thanks Brad . . . thats better :sifone:

BradB
03-10-2009, 09:46 PM
:biggrinjester:
Brad!! Check you PM's!!!

fixed!!!:biggrinjester:

BlackJack58
03-10-2009, 10:49 PM
He said he did too.
Come to find out, we graduated from the same HS....

Damn. And here I thought for a moment you were just talking to yourself.....

:rofl: