PDA

View Full Version : OSO cracking down........

Ryan Beckley
03-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Just got this PM and sent the following reply.......

Good Morning,

My name is Stefanie and I am the advertising manager for OffShoreOnly.com. The reason I am contacting you is to update you on a change that was made to your account. As a previous advertiser on OffShoreOnly.com you received access to openly speak about your company and products on the site. However, accounting has brought to my attention that your advertising account has not been active for over a year and you are still receiving access to advertising privileges.

OffShoreOnly.com is tightening down on these privileges and your advertiser star has been removed as of today. We also request that you remove your company information from your signature as that is against terms of service which you can see here: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/faq.php.
If you are interested in maintaining access to advertiser privileges or would like to learn more about what options you have you are welcome to contact me anytime. I am always happy to help assist in getting clients more coverage on the site, of course we have to maintain the rules out of respect for our paying customers and appreciate your understanding in the matter. Thank you.

My Reply

I was actually never a advertiser but I did A LOT of work for OSO in the past, including do some logo design, t- shirts, boat graphics and the decals that all of the members got when they signed up. I was member number 80 when this site started. I have always supported & promoted it. I was disappointed to see all of the change when IB took over and when all of that work ended for me when you ceased all of the mentioned promotions. IB has taken a large group of people and there community and just turned it into a straight up business. Before it was a huge group of friends that ALL promoted each other now it is just a shell of that. IF IB wants to keep this website going in the state it was they had better take a look at doing some promotions and events like the old owners used to. NOT just sit back and collect membership and advertiser monies…….

DollaBill
03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
They are idiots. Plain and simple.

03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
One more reason to be here. :sifone:

glassdave
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Good reply Ryan, thats a shame. Its now being run by people that have no clue . . . . but than again thats why we're here

sy goldberg
03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Have Stefanie meet STECZ and see how that works out.:26::26::26:

ar15meister
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I contacted IB last week to try and price out advertising on corvetteforum.com. They havent called me back and it has been almost a week.

If I was in charge of their sales staff heads would roll.

Your posting shows me what kinds of goofiness goes on with these people.

Jassman
03-09-2009, 03:13 PM
I contacted IB last week to try and price out advertising on corvetteforum.com. They havent called me back and it has been almost a week.

If I was in charge of their sales staff heads would roll.

Your posting shows me what kinds of goofiness goes on with these people.

Welcome to Corporate America...to many chiefs and not enough indians....

old377guy
03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
pinheads

kitten8
03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
" your advertiser star has been removed as of today. We also request that you remove your company information from your signature as that is against terms of service ........ "

You will always have a star in our book, and your name says it all.:26:
tisk, tisk on them.

Wrinkleface
03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Have Stefanie meet STECZ and see how that works out.:26::26::26:

She would whoop his AZZZZZ & YA KNOW THAT!!!!!:beatdeadhorse5:

Tom A.
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
:leaving:The forced exodus continues........

This place will be like the OSO of old if we all band together and just stop using the other guy....

BUIZILLA
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
they want you to spend money for a little star?

twinkle twinkle little star.... :rofl:

clayinaustin
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM

This place will be like the OSO of old if we all band together and just stop using the other guy....

I stopped going to OSO last year.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Look at the bright side, they didn't ban you....

This is what they have to look at now:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168696-inside-miss-geico.html

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p347585785-4.jpg

BlackJack58
03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Don't blame poor Stephanie. She's just been hanging out with the wrong people. :D

http://s88532526.onlinehome.us/boat/steph.jpg

Buoy
03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Excellent reply Ryan.
Unfortunately, I'm certain it has fallen on deaf ears.
Or maybe not so unfortunately.
We got this place now, and in many ways it is like the old OSO, and in many ways it's better, with more to come.
My membership over there will expire in June, but I haven't been over there in about a month, unless I was following a link such as Sharkey's.
No need for it anymore.

Tom A.
03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
When I asked about my loss of access the reply I got back asked me if I forgot my login name or password! The responding administrators didn't even know I was banned or time outed!

Perlmudder
03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
that place has become dead. you use to go over and see pages of new threads with a bunch of posts. now there is maybe a page with a couple posts on each thread.

glh
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
pinheadsMust be for holding the rag up there....

Playn
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Other than the classifieds that place is completely useless.

Buoy
03-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Must be for holding the rag up there....

That's what "dermal anchors" are for.
I just learned what that is this weekend while reading an ad in college age magazine/newspaper on the "City Culture" in an ad for a tattoo/piercing place.

DollaBill
03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
It really sucks watching the place go down. It's a shell of what it was. Serious is our new home.

Does anyone have a traffic chart based on the past 12 months?

Spicy
03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
it is ashame, I still look over there everyday when I get online but once my membership expires I will not be re-newing...

Mopower
03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
it is ashame, I still look over there everyday when I get online but once my membership expires I will not be re-newing...

I didn't bother renewing. Pizz on them:reddevil:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
It really sucks watching the place go down. It's a shell of what it was. Serious is our new home.

I just sent off my 1st letter to them...

It would not be appropriate to post here.

OldSchool
03-09-2009, 07:50 PM

That would be correct. :)

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
So?

Will this be the "Official Bashing of OSO" thread?

All I have heard for the last week is that the SO forum did not want to dirty up this place with OSO matters... :confused:

Audiofn
03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Who cares about what is going on with OSO! Let them figure it out and make the site better or let it fail. Why do we care on this board?

OldSchool
03-09-2009, 08:16 PM
So?

Will this be the "Official Bashing of OSO" thread?

All I have heard for the last week is that the SO forum did not want to dirty up this place with OSO matters... :confused:

I've got my finger on the delete button....

Look, we just don't need (or want) the drama here. So OSO seems to be on a bit of a downhill slide in some peoples eyes. So what! Don't go there!!!! What we don't want here is people feeling like they need to bash OSO on this website. There's just no reason for it.

I still go there every day and will continue to do that.

BlackJack58
03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't care what goes on over there anymore - but I would say that amidst the older posts, there is an accumulated wealth of useful information. If that place ever does go under, it would be a shame for it all to disappear into the ether...

GB
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Really miss OSO, but change happens. "Who moved the cheese" so to speak. Another of lifes adjustments.... It'll be okay.:)

stecz20
03-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Really miss OSO, but change happens. "Who moved the cheese" so to speak. Another of lifes adjustments.... It'll be okay.:)

give it some time baby, you aint gonna miss nothing....:26::26:

lucky strike
03-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't blame poor Stephanie. She's just been hanging out with the wrong people. :D

Now that's funny !

MacGyver
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Look at the bright side, they didn't ban you....

This is what they have to look at now:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168696-inside-miss-geico.html

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p347585785-4.jpg

The thread looks like its been removed. Really must have pissed them off.

phragle
03-09-2009, 08:50 PM
personally...I'm not into bashing the other place, it is what it is... I am however not above random acts of jackassery like the fountain buys out hunter thread....

stecz20
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
poooooofffffffff

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
The thread looks like its been removed. Really must have pissed them off.
That just goes to show you someone from there is over here watching....:sifone:
They only have about another 12,480 posts to go.....:seeya:

Sean H
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I think SOS has the social part of the forum down pretty good, but the other place is still the place to go for content. Even with everybody posting on the social threads here I have noticed that when I log on in the morning or whatever it is still usually 2 to 1 in new threads posted on in favor of the other place. It will take time for content to grow here, probably years really.

Hopefully Frankie will never delete his thread, thats 40% of the posts on this site.:sifone:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Really must have pissed them off.
NEXT !!! :ack2:

Inside Bud Select

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172747-inside-bud-select.html

cigdaze
03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
And they wonder why they're site is going to sht!
$$$$$ Greed and impersonal bullsht.

From IB's annual corporate report:

• entry into new markets in which we have limited or no prior experience and in which competitors may have stronger market positions, which may result in errors or failures by us in the conception, structure or implementation of our strategies to take advantage of available opportunities in these new markets;

• failure to understand the needs and behaviors of the audience for a newly acquired website or other product;

• unwillingness by consumers and advertisers to accept our current or future pricing models or our inability to implement pricing models that maximize our revenues;

• failure of the market to accept the products and services of an acquired business;

• inability to maintain or enhance the key business relationships and the reputations of acquired businesses;

• dependence on unfamiliar affiliates and partners;

• difficulty assimilating operations, technologies, products and policies of acquired businesses;

• failure to improve our operation, infrastructure, financial and management controls, procedures and policies in step with our growth;

Ticker symbol: INET

:(

Sad, too, because I loved that place and the people involved.
Good bye, OSO. One giant toilet flush is coming.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
And they wonder why they're site is going to sht!
$$$$$ Greed and impersonal bullsht.

Good bye, OSO. One giant toilet flush is coming.
1st flush was last night ! ;)

Perlmudder
03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/offshoreonly.com

JnT
03-09-2009, 10:39 PM
I have been quiet since I'm not a big post count guy. I listen and sort through all the BS. I have frequented most of the boat sites since 2001.
This one looks good and I hope it does well.
It does suck having to check 5 different sites to see whats up and seeing the same people reposting the same threads to make sure everyone sees it. I miss Steve's site but such is life.
It really is good to see the referalls to http://screamandfly.com anytime someone has an outboard question. Lots of good info there and I hope they never sell to IB.

Jim

Sean Stinson
03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Corporate America at its best

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
JnT ,
I hope you find good information here as well. There is a good bunch of experienced boaters on this site.

Cash Bar
03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
My membership expired last month. After debating the status, I put it off so long I just decided to NOT do it. That place was MY LIFE for over 5 yrs. It's painful....

AIR TIME
03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
yep mine expired too, I am thinking about putting the money a side to spend on clothes here.:sifone:

US1Fountain
03-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I still hang around there. Not sure why since it's not like it used to be. I'm talking back when Jeffrey owned it. Oh well. The best thing about the Charter status there is I don't have to decide to renew or not each yr. Best $20 ever spent!
On a good note, OSO does get a lot of Nike gym shoes ads. :)

stecz20
03-10-2009, 12:08 AM
I still hang around there. Not sure why since it's not like it used to be. I'm talking back when Jeffrey owned it. Oh well. The best thing about the Charter status there is I don't have to decide to renew or not each yr. Best $20 ever spent!
On a good note, OSO does get a lot of Nike gym shoes ads. :)

lol

US1Fountain
03-10-2009, 12:22 AM
lol

What the hell is that, a short fat girl between 2 tall skinnny guys? :sifone:

Scarab KV
03-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Really slow over there. Friends who are still over there hardly post anymore.:(

BOJOE2
03-10-2009, 01:29 AM

hell we stopped LOL

BOJOE2
03-10-2009, 01:35 AM
I just sent off my 1st letter to them...

it is probably a ditto to the one I fired off the other day. They said my screen name was never a member over there. WTF. I'm done over there since I'm banned.

cuda
03-10-2009, 01:49 AM

Which one is Stecz?

cuda
03-10-2009, 01:51 AM

Does anyone have a traffic chart based on the past 12 months?

Somehow, this song seems apprapo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onF1shg2now

cuda
03-10-2009, 01:53 AM
I didn't bother renewing. Pizz on them:reddevil:

Quit sugarcoating it Cal. Tell how you really feel. :)

cuda
03-10-2009, 01:54 AM
personally...I'm not into bashing the other place, it is what it is... I am however not above random acts of jackassery like the fountain buys out hunter thread....

Well said.

cuda
03-10-2009, 01:58 AM
I think SOS has the social part of the forum down pretty good, but the other place is still the place to go for content. Even with everybody posting on the social threads here I have noticed that when I log on in the morning or whatever it is still usually 2 to 1 in new threads posted on in favor of the other place. It will take time for content to grow here, probably years really.

Hopefully Frankie will never delete his thread, thats 40% of the posts on this site.:sifone:

I can't speak for anyone else, but how many times can you argue about which oil is best, or how to get more horespower from a peanut port 454?

What other new content could possibly be of interest?

cuda
03-10-2009, 02:00 AM

And besides, the proper grammer should be read "well", and not "good". Just a pet peeve of mine that I alway let slip, until someone obviously knows more than anyone else.

cuda
03-10-2009, 02:05 AM
Corporate America at its best
I'm surprised they didn't make him CEO of Chrysler. Think Home Depot, that guy nearly single handedly backrupted HD, and they could not find a better CEO???? Hell, I should have applied for the job.

cuda
03-10-2009, 02:08 AM
My membership expired last month. After debating the status, I put it off so long I just decided to NOT do it. That place was MY LIFE for over 5 yrs. It's painful....

At least you learned how to ride a boat upside down.:sifone::26:

BOJOE2
03-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Cuda on a tear LOL

glh
03-10-2009, 06:05 AM
NEXT !!! :ack2:

Inside Bud Select

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172747-inside-bud-select.htmlSo in an "ever forward: kind of thinking....

Where are those Bud Select pictures, I searched your website to no avail???

fund razor
03-10-2009, 06:25 AM
And besides, the proper grammer should be read "well", and not "good". Just a pet peeve of mine that I alway let slip, until someone obviously knows more than anyone else.

I try not to post on threads about the other site, (it's like talking about your old girlfriend to a new one, isn't it?) but I needed to thank Joe for the LOL of reading about proper "grammer." :D
Fun with irony. :seeya:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-10-2009, 07:25 AM
So in an "ever forward: kind of thinking....

Where are those Bud Select pictures, I searched your website to no avail???
Dave Scott's boat:
http://sharkeymarine.pages.qpg.com/powerboat/budselect/

The first couple of pics are of his other boat.

I just thought they were cool that I had to add them.... :sifone:

Ms PatriYacht
03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Hard to believe a message like that would come from anyone with the word "sales" in their title. You would think a phone call or at least a message saying something along the lines like...... we realize you are not a current advertiser and we think that is a shame because your business would be great asset to the site, we have several new perks and advertising programs that I would love to talk to you about............

Nothing like taking the combative position during your first interaction with a member/potential advertiser.

Magic Medicine
03-10-2009, 02:51 PM

x2

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Well, I just have to say this amazes me and it certainly looks as though many of us were singled out over there and shown the door in the last few weeks.

I for one usually carefully word my posts as to not offend or bash any Advertiser of OSO. (OK... Maybe a few facts on Fountain years ago but facts are facts and is not bashing.) :rofl:

I still have a few copies of my last posts in recent weeks that seem to have been removed and I do not see where I called out anyone by name.

On the other hand there is a thread going on to this day that was started last JULY 2008. Have a look at the 3rd post in the thread:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p840649391.jpg

117 posts later, last one being on 3/9/2009 and 10,848 Views.

They no longer want me there, but yet they insist on keeping 8 years of my content and information I had provided... Go figure ? ...:seeya:

Most people over there are not aware of what is going on...

Maybe when they do, they will move on.

If they don't, then it will just be another fragmentation of our sport. :(

Buoy
03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Most people over there are not aware of what is going on...

Maybe when they do, they will move on.

If they don't, then it will just be another fragmentation of our sport. :(

But the informed will. And those that want to seek the truth and real knowledge (or nonsense) that made that site what it once was will search it out. I think it may seem a little spread around the net at the moment, but it will come back together at a point. Some of the sites will survive, some will shrink to near non-existence, and someone will just be a waste of advertising money for a while before they shut down.

I really try not to comment about any other sites, and really I am only regularly on one other site, and that is because it is West Coast based, and I'm moving out that way.

boatme
03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
ahhhhh as the prop turns

I still think it is funny that one of the admins over there has a screen name of "IB DICK" that is funny know matter who you are

Sad like cash said i was addicted for many years to OSO i still go there but always leave wondering what happend to the good ole days

DollaBill
03-10-2009, 06:33 PM
ahhhhh as the prop turns

I still think it is funny that one of the admins over there has a screen name of "IB DICK" that is funny know matter who you are

Sad like cash said i was addicted for many years to OSO i still go there but always leave wondering what happend to the good ole days

What Cash said

Cash Bar
03-10-2009, 11:08 PM
At least you learned how to ride a boat upside down.:sifone::26:

Riding it was nothing, it was climbing up the hull vertically that was the biitch.... :ack2:

cigdaze
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Riding it was nothing, it was climbing up the hull vertically that was the biitch.... :ack2:
That's why Reggie invented steps.
:sifone::26:

TexasChopper
03-11-2009, 09:01 AM

I figured they owned the corvette forum, was never 100% sure. That is nothing new however, the corvette forum has been impossible to get in touch with someone going back 5-6 years.

Jeff Helmkamp
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I agree with someone ealier who said the lady who contacted Ryan could have handled it differently. Demanding things on a first call/email is not the way to go.

Like so many others, I have let me paid membership lapse there. I still look sometimes but SO.com seems to be the place where all the industry insiders have gone when they left OSO. Therefore, this is the place to be.

Since I've joined, I have already noticed this place is a lot like OSO was in the earlier days. The admins and mods here seem to have the site heading in the right direction with regards to content within certain threads. I like the way they make it clear they do not want bashing of other orgs.

Long live SO.com

OldSchool
03-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I agree with someone ealier who said the lady who contacted Ryan could have handled it differently. Demanding things on a first call/email is not the way to go.

Like so many others, I have let me paid membership lapse there. I still look sometimes but SO.com seems to be the place where all the industry insiders have gone when they left OSO. Therefore, this is the place to be.

Since I've joined, I have already noticed this place is a lot like OSO was in the earlier days. The admins and mods here seem to have the site heading in the right direction with regards to content within certain threads. I like the way they make it clear they do not want bashing of other orgs.

Long live SO.com

Thanks Jeff, and welcome to SOS!!

Craig:)

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Another thread gone...

It just happened to be a thread in the Racer's Forum that was gaining momentum by the OSO members rallying to get me back on their forum.

MobileMercMan decides to put a post in there stating to the members that they could always follow me over to here and puts the Serious link in the thread.

Anyone with a half a brain knows that would get the thread poofed.

MobileMercman has made it very clear to me that he backs the guy over there that seemed to have me banned in the 1st place. That is fine by me but, if you think that is any way to win over the members on OSO to come here, you should probably think again...

If OSO wants to stop every thread that has to do with me, they have the power to do it. They do not need MobileMercman's help to do it.

SERIOUSLY disappointed in you JIM. You say don't want the drama but yet you pull a stunt like that...:leaving:

fund razor
03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
That's kind of an angry post, Tim.

Maybe a thread about why a banned member should be brought back was already prohibited under the terms of service. I didn't see it. I don't know Jim to bring the drama. But I am starting to wonder if you have acquired a taste.
It's a matter of how you want to spend your time, Tim. Resentment is like taking poison and hoping that the other guy dies. You are starting to seem kind of high strung. And that's coming from me. ;)
I am sorry that a thread with strategic political value to you was poofed on the old planet.
I highly doubt that Jim was acting as a saboteur. I hope that things get better and less frustrating for you. You could always pm somebody and establish a dialog before you call them out. Not coming down on you.... just saying.
Peace out.
Fund

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
That's kind of an angry post, Tim.

Maybe a thread about why a banned member should be brought back was already prohibited under the terms of service. I didn't see it. I don't know Jim to bring the drama. But I am starting to wonder if you have acquired a taste.
It's a matter of how you want to spend your time, Tim. Resentment is like taking poison and hoping that the other guy dies. You are starting to seem kind of high strung. And that's coming from me. ;)
I am sorry that a thread with strategic political value to you was poofed on the old planet.
I highly doubt that Jim was acting as a saboteur. I hope that things get better and less frustrating for you. You could always pm somebody and establish a dialog before you call them out. Not coming down on you.... just saying.
Peace out.
Fund

You are right Fund.

I think I need to give myself a time out !

The crap going on behind the scenes is total BS to begin with.

You can read it for yourself in other areas on the net... but why bother...:leaving:

DollaBill
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Let's have a hug :)

fund razor
03-11-2009, 05:09 PM
You are right Fund.

I think I need to give myself a time out !

The crap going on behind the scenes is total BS to begin with.

You can read it for yourself in other areas on the net... but why bother...:leaving:

I can understand why you would be upset. But you can't get back the hours spent pizzed in the last week. And I would have been bad with a 7am call too, remember.

The only thing that we can really control in life is our attitude toward it. Don't give this power over you.
Hope you have a more relaxed night. Maybe go have a drink or some dinner, forget this crap for a night.

fund razor
03-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Let's have a hug :)

I owe you a medium strength punch in the arm for that one, my friend. But I'll grab the bar tab, and I know who I am talking to. :D

DollaBill
03-11-2009, 05:24 PM
LOL Fund. Hopefully this summer. Those tabs have usually leave a mark.:sifone::boxing_smiley::rofl:

fund razor
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I'll do the bar tab and you can do the gas tab.
That should leave a mark. ;)

Chris
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Another thread gone...

It just happened to be a thread in the Racer's Forum that was gaining momentum by the OSO members rallying to get me back on their forum.

MobileMercMan decides to put a post in there stating to the members that they could always follow me over to here and puts the Serious link in the thread.

Anyone with a half a brain knows that would get the thread poofed.

MobileMercman has made it very clear to me that he backs the guy over there that seemed to have me banned in the 1st place. That is fine by me but, if you think that is any way to win over the members on OSO to come here, you should probably think again...

If OSO wants to stop every thread that has to do with me, they have the power to do it. They do not need MobileMercman's help to do it.

SERIOUSLY disappointed in you JIM. You say don't want the drama but yet you pull a stunt like that...:leaving:

Tim- you know how to get ahold of Jim. This isn't a matter that benefits from public viewing.

I as well as the Founder's Board has grown weary of the photographer/OSO drama. While we don't like censorship any more than the next guy, the negativity is becoming a draw-down. Let's keep negatives and dirty laundry where they belong- between those parties. If there's a way for an issue to be resolved by public airing, the board is here.