PDA

View Full Version : Dosen't look good for my Dad

Expensive Date
03-06-2009, 11:59 PM
My Dad had surgery back in November he had part of his intestine removed,cancer.He now has a blockage which could be caused by swelling from the radiation or it came back.He is 87 so time is not on his side I talked to him tonight and while he sounded good I think he knows he might not recover from this.
I am going down to see him within the next week or two he lives in Jupiter Fla and I am not sure if I should take my kids.I know that sounds strange but he has been down in Fla. for 20 years and my kids 16, 12, 12, 12only got to see him about once a year.Last year we went down there for a week and I chartered a 50ft Viking and went sport fishing with my Dad and my kids my Dad had never done anything like this before we had a great time.My kids have never had anyone close to them die don't know if I want them to remember him the way they saw him last (on the boat)or not

Buoy
03-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Very sorry to hear.
I hope he is well, and recovers.

About the kids. I think because they were not that close, you may want to leave them behind. Or, take them with you just to see grandpa for maybe 30 mins, and then allow you to spend some time with him, as much time as you and him need.
I don't mean to be grim.
My wife and I are soon facing this same reality with her Father (he'll be 85 this year).
I hope all is well, and he goes on for many more years.

Bobcat
03-07-2009, 12:38 AM
thoughts going out to you tim

Ratickle
03-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Very sorry to hear that Tim.

Opinion only, if your Dad wants to see them and talk to them , they're old enough to understand that's what's best for your father now is what needs to be done.

But listen to yourself on this one, youe inner opinion is probably the correct one.

Take care..

Paul

fund razor
03-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Sorry about you Dad, Tim.

Good luck with the trip, and with making your decision.

cosmic12
03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Sorry to hear this Tim, That is a tough one, from my own experience I wish I hadn't gone to see a couple of friends because of the memory it left and I will Not go to an open casket funeral for that reason. I want to remember people as they were not what I was subjected to in the end. If it were me I'd leave them home. Good luck man my heart goe's out to ya.

Chris
03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
My thoughts are with you.

BBB725
03-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I hope it all works out for your dad

open72
03-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Tim ,go now , or as fast as you can...don't wait....family is always first ,see that your wife and kids are set , contact your customers and go ...it's a tough road to go down , when my mom was sick , nothing was more important...

ChiefApache
03-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your dad and your family.

As far as the kids go, I personally think they're old enough to handle it. Death happens and it's a reality we all have to face at some point. It's not always about how close one was to a person. He is their grandfather. This may be the time to expose your children to someone dying and death. They will have questions no doubt. They are certainly old enough to understand.

Sorry that you're going through this right now.

yesrej
03-07-2009, 03:01 PM
sorry to hear about your dad. our thoughts are with you.
i also agree with ask your father if he wants to see them and go from there. they are old enough to understand.
just my 2 cents.
i hope the best for you.

DollaBill
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Sorry to hear Tim. Life will be here when you get back. Thoughts are with you buddy

Madpoodle
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm with the ask your Dad group. Yes, it may be tough, but if thats his wish, let him have it.

Thoughts and prayers with you and yours man, been there, done that.

Rush
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Tim ,go now , or as fast as you can...don't wait....family is always first ,see that your wife and kids are set , contact your customers and go ...it's a tough road to go down , when my mom was sick , nothing was more important...

Exactly.:)

Expensive Date
03-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the replys,My brother who lives in Georgia will be there Tuesday with his wife who is an ICU nurse so I will have a better idea of what is going on in a few days.Will be going next weekend unless something changes.

dykstra
03-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Thoughts are with you.

03darkshadow
03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
my thoughts are with you and your father. i hope he recovers.

inbetween
03-07-2009, 06:22 PM
You have our thoughts and prayers for your dad,you, and your family.

old377guy
03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
hope that you and your family get to spend some more time with him - jeff

open72
03-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the replys,My brother who lives in Georgia will be there Tuesday with his wife who is an ICU nurse so I will have a better idea of what is going on in a few days.Will be going next weekend unless something changes.

I don't want to come off in the wrong way ,

go , if your father is that sick ,go ,spend those days with him , when my mom was sick , i stayed until it was time for her to head up to the cloud lounge . my mom was not just my mom ,but the best friend i could ever have , and i did not realize that until she was gone , i wished i would have started to stay everyday with her a few days earlier....

when things started to get real bad for her , it was rapid...please , i ask of you to go ....you won't want to have on your mind , saying to yourself , "i wish i woulda" it's a tough thing...don't make it any tougher on you...

peace

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Sorry to hear this TIM. My prayers are with him, you and your family.:(

Expensive Date
04-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks to all that offered there wishes and thoughts.My Dad passed on Sat 4/11 at 12:18 pm.I was there at the time,Had been going down every other weekend alternating with my brothers so he had somebody there for most of the days

Guys and girls if you are over 50 and have never had a colonoscopy you need to go, really you do this is not a nice way to go

Ratickle
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks to all that offered there wishes and thoughts.My Dad passed on Sat 4/11 at 12:18 pm.I was there at the time,Had been going down every other weekend alternating with my brothers so he had somebody there for most of the days

Guys and girls if you are over 50 and have never had a colonoscopy you need to go, really you do this is not a nice way to go

Very sorry to hear that Tim. Our condolences, and may your family remember the good times you had. Glad you were there for him....

Paul and Terri

DollaBill
04-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry for your loss friend. Please hang tough and let me know if there is anything I can do.

Wrinkleface
04-13-2009, 07:45 PM

Sorry to hear that, my dad passed last March after years of battling colon cancer. Sincere thoughts to you & yours. Tracy

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Sorry for your loss Tim. :(
May GOD bless him....

Cash Bar
04-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Wow, sorry to hear. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Tommy Gun
04-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss; our sincerest condolences.

Ms PatriYacht
04-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I somehow missed this thread in March, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's passing, I am glad you got to be with him and he had family members with him. 87 years is a long time and it sounds like most of them were good years, keep those memories with you always.

fund razor
04-14-2009, 06:04 AM

I am sorry for your loss Tim.

cigdaze
04-14-2009, 08:08 AM
We're very sorry for your loss. May he RIP. Our condolences.
:(

Chris
04-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Our thoughts are with you.

Trim'd Up
04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Sorry to hear it, man. Hang in there. I can't imagine losing my Dad. I thought, I was going to not long ago but thankfully he is ok.

Sea-Dated
04-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Prayers for you and your family......

May your father RIP

ChiefApache
04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We are so sorry to hear of your loss.

Rob & Barb

Expensive Date
04-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all of your thoughts.I am ok, looking back I did it right there is nothing I wished I had done or had not done in my relationship with my Dad.Not the last few weeks but 45 years.There are other members of my family that can not say that and this is something they will have to deal themselves.