PDA

View Full Version : hyd. steering ram location

Perlmudder
03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
on some boats you see the rams between the drives, on others you see them on the outside of the drives. is this just due to space on the transom and whats on the other side? performance increase?

just a curious question!
thanx guys!

US1Fountain
03-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Space limitations

old377guy
03-04-2009, 08:27 PM
i've wondered the same thing myself. so, if i've got plently of room between drives AND on the outside do i do with the rams inside OR outside - any pros or cons. thanks - jeff

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I think it is a personal preference thing on side by side engines. I like in the center. It offers a good clean look. On staggers obviously you must go outside.

Mopower
03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Slightly less inside plumbing with center mounted rams because you have to tee it off for four thru hull fittings for outside mounted rams. Center mount you have two thru hulls and teed externally.

fund razor
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Slightly less inside pumbing with center mounted rams because you have to tee it off for four thru hull fittings. Center mount you have two thru hulls and teed externally. You mean outside mount teed externally right?
Mine:

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Space limitations

The tabs are in the way on those two boats to mount them outside.

Mopower
03-06-2009, 02:07 PM
You mean outside mount teed externally right?
Mine:

No, mine are center mounted with two thru hulls and external tees. I see your center mounts have four thru hulls and obviously internal tees. I wanted as few holes drilled in my stern as possible.;)

old377guy
03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
thanks Jim, mopower and fund. This clears up the question for me; I'll be mounting inside. - Jeff

fund razor
03-06-2009, 08:21 PM
No, mine are center mounted with two thru hulls and external tees. I see your center mounts have four thru hulls and obviously internal tees. I wanted as few holes drilled in my stern as possible.;)

Gotcha. I thought that you meant outside the way it read. Mine had four holes when I bought it. Didn't bother me as much as not buying the boat would have. :D