PDA

View Full Version : Any Mechanics On This Board? Lets Figure This Out.

TEAMBAJA
02-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I took a 97 Grand Prix in on trade (with 3800 V-6). Ran perfect. Went out one day to drive it and it would start, run for 2 seconds and die. You can immediately start it and it will run for 2 seconds and die everytime.

I then noticed fuel leaking out of the schrader valve. I had an extra fuel rail laying around, so I changed the whole thing out to eliminate that but it didnt solve the problem, it still dies after 2 seconds.

Could it be a weak fuel pump? Normally they either work or they dont.

Or am I missing something obvious? Im no mechanic! :D

MacGyver
02-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Fuel pump, clogged fuel filter or ice in the fuel lines. Check the pressure at the rail.

BTW, I'm not a mechanic either.

Rush
02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Could be a bad vacuum leak.

TEAMBAJA
02-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Fuel pump, clogged fuel filter or ice in the fuel lines. Check the pressure at the rail.

BTW, I'm not a mechanic either.

I think Im going to invest in a fuel pressure tester. Im sure I'll need it again eventually.

Could be a bad vacuum leak.

Could the lines running to the fuel pressure regulator cause that? They are a little dry rotted around the ends.

Rush
02-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I think Im going to invest in a fuel pressure tester. Im sure I'll need it again eventually.

Could the lines running to the fuel pressure regulator cause that? They are a little dry rotted around the ends.

You should hear a loud hissing sound if theirs a leak.

Rush
02-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Will it revup when it first starts? or can you not keep it running at all?

TEAMBAJA
02-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Will it revup when it first starts? or can you not keep it running at all?
You can rev the engine for a split second before it dies. No chance of keeping it running.

Blue Oval
02-15-2009, 02:07 PM
you might check on-line for any info,you may have a relay causing a fault in your fuel pump.

Rush
02-15-2009, 02:16 PM

This is going to be the best place to start.

FULL FORCE
02-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Vacuum line to regulator will off or cracked will just give it more pressure, not cause it to die, if it was a vacuum leak it would have to bve a main line, a big one to make it stall like that.

Check fuel pressure first, or have someone liten for the pump to shut off at the tank, you should be able to hear iti, did it pull any codes? could be an ignitiioin issue also, or relay.. a good code scanner can tell yuo alot, not the Auto Zone one..GM has alot of issues with fuel pumps it seems, start there..

MacGyver
02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
GM has alot of issues with fuel pumps it seems, start there..

On my van I can hear the pump run for a few seconds till the preasure is up. But in my truck I can't hear the fuel pump at all.

FULL FORCE
02-15-2009, 04:55 PM
9-10 times you can hear them, and always check for power before pulling tank, sucks to do a fuel pump them realize it just did not have power for some reason.

Ratickle
02-15-2009, 05:48 PM
I took a 97 Grand Prix in on trade (with 3800 V-6). Ran perfect. Went out one day to drive it and it would start, run for 2 seconds and die. You can immediately start it and it will run for 2 seconds and die everytime.

I then noticed fuel leaking out of the schrader valve. I had an extra fuel rail laying around, so I changed the whole thing out to eliminate that but it didnt solve the problem, it still dies after 2 seconds.

Could it be a weak fuel pump? Normally they either work or they dont.

Or am I missing something obvious? Im no mechanic! :D

Didn't that car have one of the early theft deterents on it that would disable the fuel pump when it started and some damn code had to be entered than wait 10 minutes or something?

boostbros
02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
yup that sounds like the anti theft device kicking in

FULL FORCE
02-15-2009, 08:17 PM
yup that sounds like the anti theft device kicking in

Actually that sounds right, they have the ohm key, did it ihave an alarm or remote start? or aftermarket key?

TEAMBAJA
02-15-2009, 08:34 PM
You guys might be right about the anti-theft stuff. I only have one key to it, no alarms or remote starts. I have found very little info online about it though.

I also read about some that had a fuel cut off switch in the trunk somewhere. Not sure if that applys to mine or not, I'll check it out tomorrow in the daylight.

Rush
02-15-2009, 08:57 PM
My friend just told me his pont. did the same thing, he said to turn the key on for 10 min; security should blink. after 10 min. turn key off then back on and start. Good luck.

mikes280
02-15-2009, 09:01 PM
you have to do it 3 times,

Ratickle
02-15-2009, 09:02 PM
you have to do it 3 times,

Then turn in a circle and throw salt over your shoulder?:sifone:

Davidmnc
02-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Then get out and run around the car clockwise three times

TEAMBAJA
02-15-2009, 09:26 PM
My friend just told me his pont. did the same thing, he said to turn the key on for 10 min; security should blink. after 10 min. turn key off then back on and start. Good luck.

Ok, I didnt plan on leaving the house today but this post has me curious. Im going to head uptown where the car is and try this. I did a little research on this info and think you may be on to something. Appears to be a common problem with alot of people b*tching about being stranded and having to do the "10 minute reset".

I'll be back with an update. (I'll try not to drive past any bars on the way up!:D)

inbetween
02-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Is the car supercharged? If not, please ignore this post. If it is, there's a fuel pump resistor kind of thing behind the right (could be left) headlight. If that'a bad it will do the start stall thing. It looks like an older chrysler ballast resistor. Disconnect it and jump the connector (connect the 2 wires together) and see if it starts and runs. Do not leave this bypassed. Get a new resistor.

insanity
02-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah sounds like the anti-theft kicking in, used to work with a guy that had a grand am that did. He didn't show up until noon that day :D

TEAMBAJA
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Well, I didnt see a security light come on. I decided to try the 10 minute trick anyway. Left it longer than 10 min because someone stopped by. Went back out to try to start it and the battery was dead since its been sitting awhile (and only 19 degrees tonight). I'll try again tomorrow.

BTW, no its not supercharged.

Trim'd Up
02-16-2009, 08:27 AM
I had the same car, only a GTP, that did the same thing. It was the ignition. It wasn't making contact with the little chip that is in the key.

Edward R. Cozzi
02-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Good old VATS system strikes again. Every time I went to start one of my Corvettes it was a crap shoot if the damn car was going to start or not. Usually I just went through the procedure in the owners manual and after a brief delay was rolling again.

Is the "Check Engine" light on?

Sea-Dated
02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I had a simalar problem with my Jeep whith a small block in it and it turned out to be low voltage to the fuel pump. I was only getting like 9 volts and it would start but not enough juice to keep it running...

cosmic12
02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Has it got a mass air flow sensor? Don't remember the years but they were a real problem for a while. While its running do the screw driver handle tap test, if it stalls it out that should be it.

TEAMBAJA
02-17-2009, 01:33 AM
I had the same car, only a GTP, that did the same thing. It was the ignition. It wasn't making contact with the little chip that is in the key.

Mine is just a GT, but doesnt have the chip in the key.

TEAMBAJA
02-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Is the "Check Engine" light on?No, tried putting the scanner on it and it shows no codes.

TEAMBAJA
02-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Has it got a mass air flow sensor? Don't remember the years but they were a real problem for a while. While its running do the screw driver handle tap test, if it stalls it out that should be it.

The car only runs for 2 seconds anyway.

Audiofn
02-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Does or did the car ever have a remote start in it? If it did then you may have a bad wire out of the ignition. As soon as you back off the key you are loosing power at the ignition. Turn the key to the run position and test for power at the correct wires.

Airpacker
02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
2 second shut down is definately VATS in action. If the key does not have a visible (pellet) in the shank of the key, then it probably has only the UA6 content theft deterrent system.

Try unlocking the passenger door with the key and then starting the car. The system is enabled and disabled by either using the remote control to lock and unlock the doors OR by using the key in either front door. Sometimes the little wires on the door lock cylinder break off.

Beyond that, you will need a tech2 scan tool to verify the command sequences that control the anti theft system.

TEAMBAJA
02-18-2009, 12:38 AM
* UPDATE *

Its alive! Thanks everyone that posted here with advice, Im sure I'll keep all of these ideas in the back of my head next time there is a problem.

It could have been one of two things. I wanted to try the 10 minute trick Rush suggested because I read a little about that. Unfortunately the battery went dead in the process, so I charged it for a couple hours. I then tried unhooking the battery for a couple hours and nothing. So, tonight I read AIRPACKERS post and decided to try unlocking it through the passenger door (all though skeptical). Well, I forgot I had left the battery unhooked since yesterday, so it was either that or unlocking the passenger door. I had a few good mechanics trying to convince me to change the fuel pump but I knew it couldnt be that.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. I owe a few beers for pecking your brains! :cheers2:

HiZ
02-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Passlock security system?
Does that padlock idiot light com on on the gauges?

Wait, oh yeah GM how about intake gaskets!

Ratickle
02-18-2009, 05:57 AM
* UPDATE *

Its alive! Thanks everyone that posted here with advice, Im sure I'll keep all of these ideas in the back of my head next time there is a problem.

It could have been one of two things. I wanted to try the 10 minute trick Rush suggested because I read a little about that. Unfortunately the battery went dead in the process, so I charged it for a couple hours. I then tried unhooking the battery for a couple hours and nothing. So, tonight I read AIRPACKERS post and decided to try unlocking it through the passenger door (all though skeptical). Well, I forgot I had left the battery unhooked since yesterday, so it was either that or unlocking the passenger door. I had a few good mechanics trying to convince me to change the fuel pump but I knew it couldnt be that.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. I owe a few beers for pecking your brains! :cheers2:

You're welcome. Glad to get lucky sometimes, wasn't sure but remembered reading something about it once on one of my Blazers.

TEAMBAJA
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Passlock security system?
Does that padlock idiot light com on on the gauges?

Wait, oh yeah GM how about intake gaskets!

I didnt see a padlock light.

I didnt even see the security light until I was outside in front of the car looking in.

TEAMBAJA
02-18-2009, 11:56 AM
You're welcome. Glad to get lucky sometimes, wasn't sure but remembered reading something about it once on one of my Blazers.Yeah, Im coming here from how on. I run into dumb stuff like this all the time. Thanks again!