PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question ........

DonMan
02-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I see plenty of vintage boats with a lifeline. How does this work ? How is it used ?

Sorry for my stupidity....

Clustergear
02-08-2009, 12:36 AM
It was one of the rules in Offshore Racing. Boat had to have a line to hold on to going toward the bow from cock pit. If you look at pictures of boats sinking usally the bow stays bobing and stays above water for a long time. The life line would be the only way for you to hold on to boat till help arrives.

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-08-2009, 02:11 AM
It is still a rule. Most now use low profile rails.

Chris
02-08-2009, 05:47 AM
It's also a Coast Guard requirement. If you want to go out on the deck for any reason, you need to have something to be able to grasp on to. If you've ever been out on a wet, sloping deck that's getting pitched around in waves, you'll know why.

Ratickle
02-08-2009, 06:44 AM
It's also a Coast Guard requirement. If you want to go out on the deck for any reason, you need to have something to be able to grasp on to. If you've ever been out on a wet, sloping deck that's getting pitched around in waves, you'll know why.

Yep, and sometimes way out on the tip, you can still miss the rail.:(

Madpoodle
02-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Some of yuze guys need one on the bottom of the boat..

Just sayin... :sifone:

Bobcat
02-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I think the guys used to go up there to get on plane in some hulls

Coastie
02-08-2009, 10:48 AM

I spent 20 years in the CG, 5 of them were teaching boating safety to the public, inspecting manufacturers, training CG boarding officers, investigating boating accidents.

I've never heard of this rule, not that its a bad idea. I did some searching on the web and through Title 33 CFR trying to find it but I could not find anything.

Can you give me a link or something to verify that this is true?

Buoy
02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I love the look of the tall life-line!!
Just kinda screams offshore classic to me.

Tommy Gun
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Lifeline?

Chris
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I spent 20 years in the CG, 5 of them were teaching boating safety to the public, inspecting manufacturers, training CG boarding officers, investigating boating accidents.

I've never heard of this rule, not that its a bad idea. I did some searching on the web and through Title 33 CFR trying to find it but I could not find anything.

Can you give me a link or something to verify that this is true?

My information dates back to the 70's. I was told it was a construction requirement imposed by the Coast Guard upon the manufacturer. Quite honestly, I took it on faith and on the fact that you just never saw boats without either the cable or a center or pair of perimeter rails. As you say, it makes alot of sense and I never questioned the validity of it being a requirement.

I have not been through the USCG manufacturer's rules- are they all codified? I deal alot with other GA's that have both codified ordinances as well as both rules and rulings. For example, OSHA has the ability empowered to them in the CFR to make rulings that are then binding- they're not specifically codified, but they're compulsory.

fast fun 2
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Dig the line :sifone:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/fastfun2/challengerputtogether0005.jpg

Coastie
02-09-2009, 08:57 AM
My information dates back to the 70's. I was told it was a construction requirement imposed by the Coast Guard upon the manufacturer. Quite honestly, I took it on faith and on the fact that you just never saw boats without either the cable or a center or pair of perimeter rails. As you say, it makes alot of sense and I never questioned the validity of it being a requirement.

I have not been through the USCG manufacturer's rules- are they all codified? I deal alot with other GA's that have both codified ordinances as well as both rules and rulings. For example, OSHA has the ability empowered to them in the CFR to make rulings that are then binding- they're not specifically codified, but they're compulsory.

Ok everything in the 70's comes from the Boat Safety Act of 1972 which does not address anything regarding lifelines. All of the laws regarding the manufacture and operation of recreational vessels are contained in Title 33 CFR and Title 46 CFR. I believe that they are codified but I'm not an attorney so I'm not 100% sure of the legal definition.

It may be a ruling that was passed by the race organizations of that time in the 70's. I worked with OPBA back then but I don't recall such a regulation, it very well could have been though. Maybe Brownie or Bob Saccenti might remember if they read the forums.

BraceYourself
02-09-2009, 09:36 AM
It is a rule. I GOT A TICKET FOR ONE OF MY PASSENES BEING ON THE BOW.
I was at idle getting ready to dock the boat. Sunny no waves day. They said I can't have any one on the deck under power. I took the ticket and said I was sorry.
Better to take the ticket then end up being the guy that argued and is now hastled every wekend.