PDA

View Full Version : New Colors

Hard Charger
01-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I want to re-paint my boat stripes the cheapest and easiest way possible. Can this be done in the back yard? without a sprayer? Can I roll/ brush on then wet sand?

I cant deal with the pink and teal colors any longer! Please help me!!

glassdave
01-25-2009, 09:11 PM
if your boat is the Sonic in your avitar you can do tons with just a color change on the stripes. Madcow here on the board had one that was pink and teal also. We just swaped the to a lime green and a nicer purple and it did wonders for the boat. It is certainly possible to do it in the back yard but you do hafta pick your days. You might consider maybe a purple and an orange to yellow fade for the stripes. Also there are some very nice products in the Omni line from PPG and you'd be hard pressed to spend more than a few hundred dollars if its kept simple and i would still spray it rather than any other method of application.

Hard Charger
01-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Yup thats my Sonic. Like you suggested I was thinking about painting just the stripes; platinum and royal blue by Interlux. I know spraying will give me he best finish but I would really like to avoid the cost (compressor, spray gun and hoses) and having to bag off the entire boat. Is it possible to wet sand the brushed paint without loosing its sheen?

mdgperf
01-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Brushing the paint could be done but takes a lot of practice to get good results,If i were you i would buy a cheap hvlp touch up gun rent or borrow a small compressor and practice on a couple of test panels,ppg paints dry fast and are easy to spray very little overspray using hvlp touch up gun,I have seen people brush and roll awlgrip with awesome results,but i have also seen terrible results too,if you have little experience practice on some test panels first before putting paint on boat

glassdave
01-25-2009, 10:34 PM
true all that, also if you wanted to use a platinum you could not use a brush or roller. It does not work with metallics. As said a cheap hvlp isnt a bad way to go. Heck i have seen guns in the thirty dollar range at Harbor Freight that would do the job just fine. I think you would have far more work in trying to level a brushed finish than you would masking off the area. Look at it this way if you mask and cover the whole area once you spray it and peel the tape your done. No muss no fuss and back to boat'in :D

I have the Sonic fonts if you need a spray mask for the logo.

Hard Charger
01-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Looks like I'll be spraying.

Glassdave I would like to get the Sonic fonts from you.

runninhotracing
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
if your boat is the Sonic in your avitar you can do tons with just a color change on the stripes. Madcow here on the board had one that was pink and teal also. We just swaped the to a lime green and a nicer purple and it did wonders for the boat. It is certainly possible to do it in the back yard but you do hafta pick your days. You might consider maybe a purple and an orange to yellow fade for the stripes. Also there are some very nice products in the Omni line from PPG and you'd be hard pressed to spend more than a few hundred dollars if its kept simple and i would still spray it rather than any other method of application.

LIME GREEN u say :sifone: OH NO

Charger spray it and be done ......

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:26:

Offshore Ginger
01-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry to say this but i have seen some really nice work done by a method called tipping which is a roll and brush process and the paint that was used is Awlgrip because it is self leveling and to tell you the truth i looked at a boat last spring and thought the hull was just sprayed and come to find out it was done using this method . I have also seen other boats that were done by this marina and they look great along with people on other sites trying this method in there driveway . Hey dont get me wrong put i will always spray paint rather then using this method for the pure fact that i have the equipment and experience to do so and like Dave said no muss no fuss when spraying it on , just food for thought . :)