PDA

View Full Version : What Happens When Drive Breaks Off?

Freezeframevideo
01-24-2009, 10:28 AM
What Happens When Drive Breaks off Spiderman 2003 Milwaukee, Wisconsin

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/putreo/DSCN0156.jpg
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/putreo/DSCN0159.jpg
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/putreo/DSCN0161.jpg
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/putreo/DSCN0158.jpg
. Also Join Our Free Newsletter and receive the most up-to-date schedules, results, and specials! http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1102417507899

Tony
01-24-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm sure Throttle Up can have them like new in no time. :D

txriverrat2001
01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Should of seen the Arnesons props, shaft etc... when the tie bar snapped - at speed .... it was UGLY

Wrinkleface
01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
There was a 42 Beaker at Boyne Thunder Poker Run last summer that had that same thing happen, port drive also!!!!

Clustergear
01-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey at least you still got the drive and hardware, Last time we hit a lobster pot at 100 mph the lower unit sheared off. Never to be seen again.(Outboard)

Geronimo36
01-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Should of seen the Arnesons props, shaft etc... when the tie bar snapped - at speed .... it was UGLY

I thought they never break??:ack2:

Oh yeah that's right, EVERYTHING can break!! ;)

Bobthebuilder
01-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Hey, Jeff. Since you asked ! LOL This happened amongst the 30,000 Islands ( half of them are lurking just below the surface ) on Georgian Bay, CAN. back in 2002. As for what happens, the starboard drive was just hanging by the tie bars and had it come completely off the bellows would have ripped and the boat sank.

Bob

Clustergear
01-24-2009, 01:34 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ouch

boostbros
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
i was on a georgian bay run where a guy sank it was a 32 or 36 foot cat.(aluminum) we tied or big fender to our 200 foot ancor line then tied it to the nose eye after about 20 min it went under the rope keep going faster like a jaws movie suddenly the bouy went under later we found out it was about 350 feet of water.... it sure is beautiful up there i took me a few years to learn how to say pennataushine...we used to run a 4 engine shadow cat and we broke the center midcases many times losing speedmaster lower units and merc props the 2 engines running in the tunnel had no protection and merc midcases suck...we accidently went over a reef in orillia seems the canadians do a few things different up there like mark the ends of a reef with a red and green bouy we lined up and went in the middle i still can see the ducks standing when you see air underneath them you know something is very wrong...!

OneBadInjun
01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Bob, you win the prize by far.:eek:

Bobthebuilder
01-24-2009, 02:57 PM
i was on a georgian bay run where a guy sank it was a 32 or 36 foot cat.(aluminum) we tied or big fender to our 200 foot ancor line then tied it to the nose eye after about 20 min it went under the rope keep going faster like a jaws movie suddenly the bouy went under later we found out it was about 350 feet of water.... it sure is beautiful up there i took me a few years to learn how to say pennataushine...we used to run a 4 engine shadow cat and we broke the center midcases many times losing speedmaster lower units and merc props the 2 engines running in the tunnel had no protection and merc midcases suck...we accidently went over a reef in orillia seems the canadians do a few things different up there like mark the ends of a reef with a red and green bouy we lined up and went in the middle i still can see the ducks standing when you see air underneath them you know something is very wrong...!

He, he. Sorry you did not understand our way of doing things. :) Actually things are marked same as US pretty much. A paper chart would have shown the shoal I'm sure.

When I took my drives out I was coming off the open bay into the small craft channel, had a paper chart in my hand, had my chart plotter for reference and my eye on the markers then wham!! Shortly after it happened a native towboat idled over and with a big smile on their face said " may we help you?" I used to wonder if they moved a bouy to drum up some business but more likely a natural reluctance to admit "I screwed up!"

Bobthebuilder
01-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Great. Another trophy ! LOL

Anyone want to sign up for our summer 2009 Georgian Bay Tour? Day one is thru the 30,000 Islands.

obsessed1
01-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey, Jeff. Since you asked ! LOL This happened amongst the 30,000 Islands ( half of them are lurking just below the surface ) on Georgian Bay, CAN. back in 2002. As for what happens, the starboard drive was just hanging by the tie bars and had it come completely off the bellows would have ripped and the boat sank.

Bob

Bob,

There is a 50 nor-tech, yellow hull, triple b-maxes and 650's for sale in my area. It looks similar to the one in your photos, but it has different paint on the hullsides. Could it be the same boat? How fast was yours?

Thanks, Rob

Bobthebuilder
01-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Bob,

There is a 50 nor-tech, yellow hull, triple b-maxes and 650's for sale in my area. It looks similar to the one in your photos, but it has different paint on the hullsides. Could it be the same boat? How fast was yours?

Thanks, Rob

I did a deal with Nor Tech in 2003 where they took the boat in on trade for a new 50 they built to my specs. It then was sold by them to a guy in Chicago area. He had it painted and then I kinda lost track of it. I forget top speed but somewhere around 85 MPH, I think. Can't be sure if its the same boat or not. Once saw a pic of it on the Chicago Powerboat Club website. When I wiped out the drives I had XR's installed. It originally had Bravo drives on it. Didn't take me long to blow those up. Tried XR's, B Max and back to XR's. What a lot of people don't know is that I chewed up 9 drives plus killed those 3 on the rock for a total of 12 drives in 15 months. LOL Boat was way too heavy for anything but a No. 6 drive. :)
Bob

Rik
01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I thought they never break??:ack2:

Oh yeah that's right, EVERYTHING can break!! ;)

Hey, I though only your stuff breaks:rofl:

If a tie bar broke, a tie bar broke. It's just at stainless tube.

What was the boat and tie bar? If it was an express cat, then blame that on them as they made their own junk.:sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-24-2009, 07:23 PM

You can consider yourself lucky when you break them off and don't sink.

If you have twins not staggered the drive may be lying on the trim tab.

Tony
01-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Some friends of mine broke one on a 38 Scarab, bellhousing broke, ripped the bellows and the boat started sinking. Luckily they were close enough to shore to get it in and beach the boat.

MattBMiller
01-25-2009, 04:14 AM
Ouch!!

Ratickle
01-25-2009, 08:31 AM
What a lot of people don't know is that I killed a total of 12 drives in 15 months. Bob

Is that all? You must have quit trying.....:ack2:

Griswald
01-25-2009, 08:38 AM
"Um, yeah....Progressive? I've had a little accident and need to file a claim." :(

Payton
01-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I had my port side gimble ring break in 2007, after hitting a hunk of concrete while leaving a seawall in East Chicago. The impact killed the idling engine. I raised the drive and saw a bent up prop. Lowered it back down and tried to run very slowly. There was no vibration so we went out for the poker run. We were running about 4 miles out from our home port, only 45 mph or so, when we heard a loud bang and crunch and the port engine revved up. The gimble ring had let go and the drive hung by the steering ram and tiebar. When ever I tried to drive faster than an idle with the starboard engine the port drive would swing down and it the other drive. The drive that broke was on the side that is staggered foward. The drive slipped out of the driveshaft and let no water in. (whew) My insurance bought me 2 new drives and transome assemblies

Ratickle
01-25-2009, 09:31 AM
"Um, yeah....Progressive? I've had a little accident and need to file a claim." :(

Again, and again, and again........................

phragle
01-25-2009, 09:48 AM
What a lot of people don't know is that I chewed up 9 drives plus killed those 3 on the rock for a total of 12 drives in 15 months. LOL Boat was way too heavy for anything but a No. 6 drive.

Damn Bob, keep tearing stuff up at that pace and Lubejobs is going get jealous!!

phragle
01-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I lost a drive yesterday and as I was trying to put the boat back on the trailer it lurched sideways and smoked the boat next to me. That boat then hit the dock so hard it ripped it loose. the dock then floated out into the channel and got hit by a frieghter, jamming it's rudder. this made the frieghter veer off course. It almost hit another frieghter that was unloading, just missed and smashed the pier next to it before coming to a stop. I let out a deep breath of relief that the carnage was over, when I looked thru my binoculars and realized that on the smashed pier was the new lambo I had ordered, it had just been offloaded and was now smashed to pieces.

Ratickle
01-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I lost a drive yesterday and as I was trying to put the boat back on the trailer it lurched sideways and and smoked the boat next to me. That boat then hit the dock so hard it ripped it loss. the dock then flaoted out into the channel and got hit by a frieghter, jamming it's rudder. this made the frieghter veer off course. It almost hit another frieghter that was unloading, just missed and smashed the peir next to it before coming to a stop. I let out a deep breath of relief that the carnage was over, when I looked thru my binoculars and realized that on the smashed pierwas the new lambo I had order, it had just been offloaded and was now smashed to pieces.

A good Gino story...........:)

Geronimo36
01-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I did a deal with Nor Tech in 2003 where they took the boat in on trade for a new 50 they built to my specs. It then was sold by them to a guy in Chicago area. He had it painted and then I kinda lost track of it. I forget top speed but somewhere around 85 MPH, I think. Can't be sure if its the same boat or not. Once saw a pic of it on the Chicago Powerboat Club website. When I wiped out the drives I had XR's installed. It originally had Bravo drives on it. Didn't take me long to blow those up. Tried XR's, B Max and back to XR's. What a lot of people don't know is that I chewed up 9 drives plus killed those 3 on the rock for a total of 12 drives in 15 months. LOL Boat was way too heavy for anything but a No. 6 drive. :)
Bob

That sucks!!

BTW, were you the one who had NT drop the drives off in Dean's driveway? :leaving:

Scarab KV
01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Great. Another trophy ! LOL

Anyone want to sign up for our summer 2009 Georgian Bay Tour? Day one is thru the 30,000 Islands.

Sure, as long as you're going first. :biggrinjester:

Scarab KV
01-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I lost a drive yesterday and as I was trying to put the boat back on the trailer it lurched sideways and smoked the boat next to me. That boat then hit the dock so hard it ripped it loose. the dock then floated out into the channel and got hit by a frieghter, jamming it's rudder. this made the frieghter veer off course. It almost hit another frieghter that was unloading, just missed and smashed the pier next to it before coming to a stop. I let out a deep breath of relief that the carnage was over, when I looked thru my binoculars and realized that on the smashed pier was the new lambo I had ordered, it had just been offloaded and was now smashed to pieces.

:rofl::rofl:

Sydwayz
01-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Jeff, you have rear-facing race footage video of the F2-Outlaw 37 Active Thunder (blue/white) where the Bravo broke CLEAN off, and came up over the transom. I think it had something to do with 1200HP per Bravo!! :eek:

Freezeframevideo
01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
yes i do i think it is on crashes 5 jeff

redhotsommer
01-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Bob

Yeah...that boat was up here around 2003...I think it was repainted in 04 or 05 and renamed "Leviathan." Wicked protean-style paint. I heard it was for sale again recently. Here's a couple pics from an 03 Chicago Powerboat Club run...the drives are intact, but I don't think anyone will mind the slight detour from the point of the thread...:sifone:

Tom A.
01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
That boat has the nicest tail!

LaughingCat
01-26-2009, 12:49 PM

That's just terrible. Hope the freighters are OK. Would hate for oil to rise just because of your incompetence. :)

SHARKEY-IMAGES
01-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Jeff,

Remember all the drives in Ocean City last year ? :ack2:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p275895942-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p490132057-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p252380574-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p465191385-4.jpg

Such a shame ...... :(

Wrinkleface
01-26-2009, 08:41 PM

That's easy 4 U 2 say there Bubba!!!:rofl::26:

Wrinkleface
01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah...that boat was up here around 2003...I think it was repainted in 04 or 05 and renamed "Leviathan." Wicked protean-style paint. I heard it was for sale again recently. Here's a couple pics from an 03 Chicago Powerboat Club run...the drives are intact, but I don't think anyone will mind the slight detour from the point of the thread...:sifone:

Yowzer Bowzer!!!!!!:03:

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
There was a dealer many years ago at the Annapolis boat show. He took a perspective buyer out for a test run during the show. He broke the bellhousing during the ride and the boat sunk in its slip during the show.

Sydwayz
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I've been there too BTW:

inbetween
01-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I haven't had it happen yet, but a friend had 3 out of 4 pivot pins fall out. Not sure how he made it back to the trailer, but he did. He was even running on plane, knew something was wrong, no response to trim. He didn't realize it was that bad until it was out of the water.

Bobthebuilder
01-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Thanks. Ya, that was my baby. Those pics make me miss her ! LOL I had heard that the new owner was not having the drive issues that I experienced which I was happy to hear. Doing a couple poker runs a month and some aggressive driving will chew them up. Heck, I've even blown up a few no. 6's. The current NT with Arneson's is very happy. :)
Bob

Rik
01-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks. Ya, that was my baby. Those pics make me miss her ! LOL I had heard that the new owner was not having the drive issues that I experienced which I was happy to hear. Doing a couple poker runs a month and some aggressive driving will chew them up. Heck, I've even blown up a few no. 6's. The current NT with Arneson's is very happy. :)
Bob

You will not have any problems with the Arnesons.

Stop by in Miami at the show and say hi if you are going.