PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into or have the old "Chris Craft" style wood boats?

Tank
01-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Found out today a good friend picked up a 20' (ish) 60's Chris Craft that needs to be restored. things got so much potential. I've always thought, if I ever sold the cig I'd definately buy one of those old teak/varnished wood boats like the Chris Crafts. I've always loved them and thought they were the original performance boats.

anyone have one. Anyone have pics?

inbetween
01-22-2009, 12:09 AM
No pics, but there is one a few houses from me that sits in the water at a dock all season. Beautiful boat. Sounds pretty good too. There's also a 26'? wooden cruiser "WoodWorking" nearby. That is just about the most used boat around here. Uses it for fishing, sunsets, dinner cruises, etc daily. Also absolutely stunning.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-22-2009, 12:12 AM
I would like to re do an old Mahogany outboard boat one day. I too think they are cool.. A lot of work thought. A friend of mine had one we used to run around in back in the '70s.

Tank
01-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Next time I'm at my buddies shop, I'll snap a couple of pics. Beat up, but everything is there (all original hardware and motor).

Otis311
01-22-2009, 01:42 AM
I have a 1949 20' Shepard. It was repowered in 1972 with a 455 Olds.

old377guy
01-22-2009, 02:18 AM
my brother has a bunch of antique boat models from old Chris Crafts, cruisers, even a 5' long supertanker

RollWithIt
01-22-2009, 02:36 AM
I have an old 50's Crist Craft 18 footer. Needs alot of work but I will get it done someday. I got it from my grandmother who has since passed. No plans to ever get rid of it... I plan on restoring it someday soon. Spoke with an older gentleman at the Cleveland show who had a very similar CC. They are as much a piece of art as they are a boat.

Tank
01-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Anyone happen to catch the article in Powerboat mag a couple issues back on John Ellways 36' "Stan Craft"? thing is SICK! Twin Ilmors, killer little walk through cabin. Insane craftmanship. It was a great article.

here's a link to some pics of the boat throug the company website. Paruse the website under styles. Stan craft is building some sweet boats. I assume, not cheap!:sifone:

http://www.stancraftboats.com/owner_elway.html

Madpoodle
01-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Study West System..

Study it well :) :)

fast fun 2
01-22-2009, 08:18 AM
We have a 195? (Dad knows, need to ask) Christ Craft 20 ( i think, sorry) The boat has been up at Paul Jordans being restored. Still has the boat race carved in the dash :sifone:

Offshoredrillin
google Hackercraft the owner is a member here, they have some really cool stuff. I would own one in a minute to run the rivers around here.

cosmic12
My Dad had old Century's spent alot of my summers working on them. I also have had a few crusers. My last one was a 1967 36ft Chris Craft Challenger W/twin 300hp 327s w/ velvet drives and a 6.5 kw onan gen set 4cyl flat head. Great boat and had more fun than I should have on it. If you are serious about this think long and hard about it 1st you know what its like restoreing a newer fiber glass boat, believe me its no easier in wood and when its done the day to day maint and up keep just doesn't end. Also its great fun trying to find parts that are made of complete UNUBTAINEUM. They are beautiful works of art built with long lost craftsmenship, But I know I will never do one again. Good luck.:cheers2:

Tom A.
01-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Anyone happen to catch the article in Powerboat mag a couple issues back on John Ellways 36' "Stan Craft"? thing is SICK! Twin Ilmors, killer little walk through cabin. Insane craftmanship. It was a great article.

I love the 26' fastback model!

Chris
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I love the wooden classics. I even tried it once. Too much work- made offshores seem maintenace-free.

But I'd still love to own an old, vintage Riva. If nothing else, just to look at it.

PARADOX
01-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I love those ol'e woodys also. One day I will sure to get one.

Roger 1
01-22-2009, 10:13 AM

here's a link to some pics of the boat throug the company website. Paruse the website under styles. Stan craft is building some sweet boats. I assume, not cheap!:sifone:

I saw that and agree that it is over the top. They ruined the lines of that nice long deck by cutting a hole in it and filling it with seats.

Roger 1
01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
google Hackercraft the owner is a member here, they have some really cool stuff. I would own one in a minute to run the rivers around here.

If He's a member He needs to start a thread and get busy posting pictures and give some history of the company.

Roger

Bobcat
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
32' pacemaker, it is a pain but the twin 350 crusaders sound mean

cosmic12
01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I love the wooden classics. I even tried it once. Too much work- made offshores seem maintenace-free.

But I'd still love to own an old, vintage Riva. If nothing else, just to look at it.

Agreed......Very well put! You just have no idea until you try.

Davidmnc
01-22-2009, 10:22 AM
32' pacemaker, it is a pain but the twin 350 crusaders sound mean

Cool old boat! :sifone:

Sydwayz
01-22-2009, 10:33 AM
There are several Hackercrafts at Smith Mountain Lake in SW VA where we boat a lot, as well as several other wooden boats.

About 2 seasons ago, a gentleman just purchased his 3rd (new) Hackercraft, and they were out on their maiden voyage. As so I heard after, they popped off a water fitting, and the boat slowly began filling with water. Since it was brand new, they did not really know how the boat should "feel", and they barrel rolled the brand new boat making a long sweeping turn. They were all OK, but it basically just rolled right over when the water in the hull moved toward the outside of the turn.

Bobcat
01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Cool old boat! :sifone:

lots of work , the exhaust exits straight out the back and no mufflers.

Perlmudder
01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
always loved them. there is a nice 18 foot cc at my cottage names captains gig.

Offshore Ginger
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I have a 1960 16 ft Century resoter that is in the process of restoration and this spring i will be giving her a new 5200 non soak bottom .:)

bret
01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Have a 1941 17' double cockpit cris-craft barrel back that I have been restoring for about 10 years. Bottom and sides done. Original Hercules flathead still runs.
I can never get any time to finish it up.

Steve 1
01-22-2009, 11:53 AM
We had to build everything but a Wealthy uncle would buy the Showboat off the floor at the beach show his last one was a Cavalier and in the Garage he had a Cobra with Cadillac power That was a cool boat.

chewylewis
01-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Best Buddy here in Norcal owns the stancraft 29' torpedo "Tomahawk" with the 550 Ilmor that is for sale on the stancraft website. Best Tahoe i have ever been on. Beautiful boats

bootdaddy
01-22-2009, 11:58 AM
1964 Chris Craft Super Sport purchased 12 years ago with 210 hours - all original 327F Corvette engine - yummy ski boat and flat water runner tops out at 54 and now has 405 hours on it.

1960 20' Lyman that was a virtual shell of a boat before complete resto. Has a rebuilt Crusader with so much torque it actually rocks the boat when neutral throttling and you have to shift your weight to keep it running even steven at WOT. One of the scariest overpowered woodies out there...unbelievable fun but with 4 kids it is for sale asking $19k after $40k+ spent...show quality varnish and ribs etc. Tops out just under 50.

If anybody finds themselves near the St. Lawrence in the 1000 Islands the Antique Boat Musuem is a must see. http://www.abm.org/ And a few very qualified wooden restorers in area.

cosmic12
01-22-2009, 12:00 PM
We had to build everything but a Wealthy uncle would buy the Showboat off the floor at the beach show his last one was a Cavalier and in the Garage he had a Cobra with Cadillac power That was a cool boat.

A Cobra?:drool5: Now yer talking, for one of those I might get back into a woodie:drool5:

cosmic12
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
If anybody finds themselves near the St. Lawrence in the 1000 Islands the Antique Boat Musuem is a must see. http://www.abm.org/ And a few very qualified wooden restorers in area.

Pardon Me has got to be one of the all time greatest wood boats ever built. To anyone has never been to Clayton you need to see that boat in person it is unbelieveable. Thanks for the link:drool5:

cowisl
01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
I have a 1960 16' Century Resorter with a 350 mag. The boat rips and will still do 180's!

TIKI
01-22-2009, 12:23 PM
There's a local company here that will build you a new one. I think they're beautiful...I'll get one to tinker with some day.

http://www.portageboatworks.com/index.html

Steve 1
01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
There's a local company here that will build you a new one. I think they're beautiful...I'll get one to tinker with some day.

http://www.portageboatworks.com/index.html

With the Material we have nowadays you can also have a Composite Hull and deck that looks exactly like a Wood Boat!

baronmarine
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
my cousin was 5 or 6 woodys. from 16' to 36' ish. acording to him, thay are easyer to maintain then a fiberglass boat. but he dose not work on them. pays to have all the work done to them.

todd

Tank
01-22-2009, 03:48 PM
There was a company a few years back at the L.A. boat show that had 24' all wood boats, retro built. The price on them were like 40-50k. I thought that was pretty reasonable. I don't think the build quality was up to the level of the guys that built Ellways boat, stancracft or portage boat works but still cool for a decent price. I don't remember who the builder was though.

BradH
01-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Pardon Me has got to be one of the all time greatest wood boats ever built. To anyone has never been to Clayton you need to see that boat in person it is unbelieveable. Thanks for the link:drool5:

It's a cool but weird ride. There is so much torque from the single prop that it leans to one side when running. Add to that a second guy is needed above the transmission to shift. And the Packard sounds sweeeet.

catfish
01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
i picked this one up 3 years ago and restored it... i got the boat for 3,000
and ony have about 900 into it,, the rest was all labor
but its a great party boat 1961 23 ft sea skiff

RollWithIt
01-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I also remember my grandmother's 50 foot wooden Christ Craft cruiser she had when I was a kid. My dad was constantly doing work to maintain and upkeep that. But what a beautiful boat with all the teak and mahogany on it. Too bad she sold it, the next owner abused it and hit a concrete warf cracking several stringers.. Resold it not telling the new owner who subsequently had it sink on him from the damage... A real shame.

ILMORdude
01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Elways boat is fantastic. That article was sweet with great photos. Stancraft uses our stuff quite a bit

pullmytrigger
01-22-2009, 07:39 PM
heres my idea of a wood boat.......Laughterbach

Baja Fresh
01-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Here's the only kind of wooden boat I can afford!

Offshoredrillin
01-22-2009, 07:50 PM
It's a cool but weird ride. There is so much torque from the single prop that it leans to one side when running. Add to that a second guy is needed above the transmission to shift. And the Packard sounds sweeeet.
This is whom I was speaking of, i remembered the pic of the outboards. I must have misread an earlier post I am sorry I thought you were one of the owners of Hackercraft. I see that you help sell them...they are great looking boats...

Dude! Sweet!
01-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I grew up around a 1964(ish) 36' Chris Craft Cavalier. Anyone from A-bay remember "Twilight Zone"? Awesome boat, that carries a lot of fond memories for me. It was a plywood hull with a pair of 283s. It got up and went for what it was due to the light construction. My old man bought it from Rod Serling's widow. She'd kept it down on Cayuga Lake as I recall... Lost her in a winter storage fire (arson at Hutchinson's Bethune Street barn).

I've been told that a lot of Marinas and Marine Mechanic's insurance won't let them touch wooden boats anymore...

Always loved this picture, but no clue what boat it is, but it looks superbad!

Dude! Sweet!
01-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Thunderbird up on Tahoe is a monster too...

http://www.boattahoe.com/thunderbird.htm

MrCig
01-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Here are some Pics from this years Lake Geneva Wi show.

MrCig
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
A few more

MrCig
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
a few more

MrCig
01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
more

MrCig
01-22-2009, 08:25 PM
more

chewylewis
01-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Here is the Torpeo with the Ilmor

Davidmnc
01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
i picked this one up 3 years ago and restored it... i got the boat for 3,000
and ony have about 900 into it,, the rest was all labor
but its a great party boat 1961 23 ft sea skiff

That's nice...........do you have any more pics? :26:

Davidmnc
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Thunderbird up on Tahoe is a monster too...

http://www.boattahoe.com/thunderbird.htm

That's a bad ass boat! :26:

chewylewis
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Cow Hides

bootdaddy
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Here is where my Lyman is listed. Peter K has a ton of really great stuff listed.

http://www.antiqueboatamerica.com/

Madpoodle
01-22-2009, 11:09 PM

West system...

BradH
01-23-2009, 12:08 AM
This is whom I was speaking of, i remembered the pic of the outboards. I must have misread an earlier post I am sorry I thought you were one of the owners of Hackercraft. I see that you help sell them...they are great looking boats...

Lynn Wagemann owns Hacker, bought it a couple years ago. I simply met him through a friend (as happens a lot in the boating world), and have been hanging on for dear life ever since.

He does have a Chris Cat with big power on Lake George...fastfun may have more info on that...

Brad.

ILMORdude
01-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Cow Hides

Man them Stancrafts are superbad!!!

BradH
01-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Here is where my Lyman is listed. Peter K has a ton of really great stuff listed.

http://www.antiqueboatamerica.com/

Peter Mellon has more or less created the online marketplace for antique and classic boats. He started by driving down the street to a couple of restoration shops to find boats to list, now has more than 1000 in his showroom and on brokerage.

XPRESS 33PP
01-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Hackercrafts are just awesome boats, Lynn the owner gave me a tour of the factory last year. Very cool. Oh and I got a free polo shirt to. Great people.
I wish I had a camera with me. I remember my Powerplay looking a little odd at the dock surrounded by about 20 wooden boats.

www.hackerboat.com

Shawn
01-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Tank, I used to do most of the electrical/motor rigging years ago for Grand craft, here in Holland, MI. We built replica mahogany Chris Craft runabouts from the 20's and 30's eras. Built a twin small block 27' footer for "The" Thatcher's in England, and a more modern "Tahoe" version utility style big block boat for Robert Redford. Fun job! They have since expanded their line.

Check them out www.grandcraft.com
Some nice pics. on the site

Shawn

fast fun 2
01-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Hackers are cool, but you guys gotta check out Van Dams
29 foot Arneson Drive Saris Racing 525 Step Bottom Simply perfect workmanship, throughout the whole boat too, not just where u can see
She runs damn cluse to 80 :sifone:

PARADOX
01-23-2009, 10:14 PM
I saw a "modern" woody about 8-9 years ago at the Miami boat show.
Looked like a cig. all mahagony, with twin Mercs. Looked like a modern offshore but it was all classic hand made. Instuments were moderrn, but the overall design was a classic theme.
I lost the brochure, but one of the most beautiful boats I ever saw, and was fast, classy as well as modern looking.

fast fun 2
01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
http://www.vandamboats.com/

Go to Jaqueline

Lakeside
01-24-2009, 01:34 PM
We have done quite a few wooden boat resto's & repaired and maintained may as well. We still do them, but have always been much more Go fast oriented from day one.. That said there is still something cool about the wooden boats though. We have a Chris-craft getting the bottom done in our shop currently. There have been some cool Chris's, Gar's & Hacker's though that have been thru our place as well as some other stuff Like Penn Yan.. And yes depending on what you do to them, having & redoing one can sometimes make Go fast stuff seem inexpensive..

Here is a little sample :) :

Lakeside Restorations.com Wooden boat page (http://lakesiderestorations.com/index.jsp?id=118&parentId=0)

There are some other wooden pic scattered on this page as well.. (http://lakesiderestorations.com/index.jsp?id=117&parentId=0)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Rik
01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
http://www.vandamboats.com/

Go to Jaqueline

I think the boat went faster than 80. It was a fun project and turned out really good.

fast fun 2
01-24-2009, 11:45 PM
I think the boat went faster than 80. It was a fun project and turned out really good.

Motor is in the shop now. I think the final number was around 78, with my dad running it. Chris never really opens it up all that much.

Offshore Ginger
01-25-2009, 06:28 AM
my back ground is in wooden boats from working at Penn yan as a kid in the 60's to starting fiberglass at Thompson boats . I have to say thay here in Holland Mich we still have a classic boat builder called Grand Craft along with so many other fine boat builders in the area Skater and S2 YACHTS and on occasion we also do a few wooden boats .:)

dykstra
01-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I saw that and agree that it is over the top. They ruined the lines of that nice long deck by cutting a hole in it and filling it with seats.

agreed

Dude! Sweet!
01-26-2009, 06:04 PM
my back ground is in wooden boats from working at Penn yan as a kid in the 60's to starting fiberglass at Thompson boats . I have to say thay here in Holland Mich we still have a classic boat builder called Grand Craft along with so many other fine boat builders in the area Skater and S2 YACHTS and on occasion we also do a few wooden boats .:)

Hey Ginger, you're originally from Western/Central NY huh?

We had a Penn Yan for a while when I was a teen ager. It was 26' sedan from the 70's that we used to fish for salmon out on Lake Ontario. Awesome boats. Like a small battleship.