PDA

View Full Version : ever run in a 31 Scarab?

pullmytrigger
01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
theres one around here and the price is RIGHT....... wouldnt care too much but the nieghbours father came over last week and half azzed offered to buy my 29 right out of the blue.......anyway the Scarab......Ive never seen one in person......Ive heard theyre pretty good in the rough......hows the cabin size and headroom?...can you get in the head? .......anyone with any first hand experience?

Buoy
01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Never ran in a Scarab, but I did the Hokey Pokey in one:biggrinjester:

What is it a 31 xcel?
That was late 80's-early 90's if not mistaken.
What motors/drives?

inbetween
01-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I've got a friend with one '90 I think. He has no complaints. I'd be happy with it. runs about 80 635hp 454s

inbetween
01-15-2009, 10:44 PM
pic

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-15-2009, 10:51 PM
A friend had a '90 I think it was. Nice boat. Had a left side slide cabin door. Decent head room average size head. The hand rail around the windshield was nice and comfortable to hold. It was kind of heavy, but rode nice in the Chesapeake. It had IMCO shorties and blower motors ran low 90's. Fun, solid boat.

phragle
01-15-2009, 11:46 PM
have any scarab well surveyed, good boats but anything by wellcraft is susceptable to wetness.

pullmytrigger
01-16-2009, 12:29 AM
sorry....its a '95.....heres some pics

pullmytrigger
01-16-2009, 12:58 AM
hmmmmm small.....try these

ar15meister
01-16-2009, 02:45 AM
doug didnt you just build some motors for the fountain?

pullmytrigger
01-16-2009, 07:37 AM
doug didnt you just build some motors for the fountain?

yep.....but I could really use the bigger cabin in the Scarab......the seperate head namely.....allows you to overnight in a bay (like Big Chief!) and not always have to run back to a Marina......could still tow it with my truck too

Airpacker
01-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Went for a big water run in a 31 in 93 Doug. Had to hold the windshield in our laps to come bact to port. Didn't inmpress me very much with build quality.

Brad
01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
:iagree:
have any scarab well surveyed, good boats but anything by wellcraft is susceptable to wetness.

:iagree::iagree:

scandelous
01-16-2009, 11:22 AM
theres one around here and the price is RIGHT....... wouldnt care too much but the nieghbours father came over last week and half azzed offered to buy my 29 right out of the blue.......anyway the Scarab......Ive never seen one in person......Ive heard theyre pretty good in the rough......hows the cabin size and headroom?...can you get in the head? .......anyone with any first hand experience?

http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2424

I've owned mine for 3 years and love it. Looking to sell however..

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Nice, clean boat.

The older ones had the heavy hand rail around the windshield. Otherwise looks very much the same.

I spent a lot of time running my buddies. I liked it.

scandelous
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
She's been great. Just looking to get into a bigger boat.

runninhotracing
01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Big thumbs up BIG Daddy , had a 31 and got caught out on lake michigan in a storm with 35 knot winds, and 8-10 footers made it back from michigan city with a foot of water in the boat ,some broken gauges & cabin lights and not a 1 stress crack and took her back out the following morning ,however the Velocity we left the marina with did'nt make it back Delaminated in the storm and no life jackets on .. the scarab is a heavy boat but with the wife & 4 kidz on board all made it in that nite ..good luck

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:26:

scandelous
01-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Big thumbs up BIG Daddy , had a 31 and got caught out on lake michigan in a storm with 35 knot winds, and 8-10 footers made it back from michigan city with a foot of water in the boat ,some broken gauges & cabin lights and not a 1 stress crack and took her back out the following morning ,however the Velocity we left the marina with did'nt make it back Delaminated in the storm and no life jackets on .. the scarab is a heavy boat but with the wife & 4 kidz on board all made it in that nite ..good luck

Your right...its a floating tank.....:sifone:

FastTimes
01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I've got a early 90's 31 excel and it rides great! No complaints here

pullmytrigger
01-18-2009, 04:23 AM
heres a few more.......

pullmytrigger
01-18-2009, 04:25 AM
interior

pullmytrigger
01-18-2009, 04:27 AM
anyone know anything about the 370 hp 454s in it.....would it have the good internals???

Trim'd Up
01-18-2009, 09:33 AM
They are either 365's if they are carbed and 385's if they the are efi. They have the same lower end and heads as the 502 mags and 500 hp's (block and pistons are obviously different). Forged everything and rec. port heads.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-18-2009, 11:19 AM
anyone know anything about the 370 hp 454s in it.....would it have the good internals???

370's are rectangle port engines with same bottom and as 420's. Steel and forged goodies.

It came with stock exhaust and a quadrajet. Came with TRS

Sutphil
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Doug,
What did you think of it?

pullmytrigger
01-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Doug,
What did you think of it?

the boat is a Repo.....the good......nice cabin and layout.....if the weather went sour four people could spend a couple of hours down there no problem......nice Bomar hatch.....its tight but I can get in the head and close the door which is all Im looking for, china head too with remote holding tank, pressure water.......the dash and rubrail is already whited out and looks very modern, no need to upgrade there......ez foredeck access from pass seat.......the molded and I would think very expensive windshield is in perfect shape , no crazing anywhere.....nice flat sunpad and aft bench, no molded in headrests or bolsters to get in the way of my lounging.....nice one piece sliding cabin door.....from an appearance standpoint at least the Bravos look like they were installed factory fresh last week, some nicks in the skegs.....has Merc si choice........cockpit cover is in excellent shape......stand back 100ft and the boat at least IMO still has a modern shape.....it looks good.......boat has properly sized aluminum trailer, wouldnt have to upgrade my truck....would still fit in the garage.

Now the bad......the boat is dirty and beat up.....would take some work but I can clean up and buff out all the grime.....you should have seen the Fountain when I got it.......the foredeck is decent but this thing has several spots of sinifigant dockrash on the sides and swim platform....I dont like the graphics anyway so what I would do is have the sides repaired, painted white Imron, end up with an all white boat and have some vinyl graphics put on......I would think seriously about taking the beat up molded swim platform off and putting on a tubular......the topside interior fabric is aging but is hanging in there......cabin fabric is fine but again very dirty......no shorepower....it doesnt show in the pics but the bilge is about as oilcovered as it gets.....nasty.....although the factory paint on the blocks and accesories is still very much intact it isnt all flaking off and rusted...all the factory connectors and clamps are as original and appear untouched......the whole engine compartment looks bone stock........the stereo has been removed and there is several holes where the speakers were......the trailer has no fenders, tires are s hit......one dual ram Bennet trim tab is missing....... but the scariest thing is there is a spot about 8" long on one of the strakes where the pointed edge of the strake has been smashed through the gel and raw fiberglass is exposed, its on the upward slope of the hull not the horizontal, at rest it may not even be in the water, the damage doesnt appear to have spread outward from the affected area......it looks to me like he scraped a sharp rock or got crossed up and hit the trailer while docking it or something.......an extensive survey is in order on this boat for sure........the basics are there but the boat is certainly not turn key

the guy said $28,000 cdn (22,500 US) would take it

Sutphil
01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
All-in-all that doesn't sound so bad.

scandelous
01-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Trigger,

You get what you pay for. A couple of dollars more and you could get a real turn hey boat.http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/joepeary/scarab020-1.jpghttp://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/joepeary/scarab021.jpghttp://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/joepeary/scarab002.jpg

PatriYacht
01-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I always liked the Twisted Stix graphics. 31 Scarabs respond well to bigger power too. I remember one with 525's running in the 80's.

pullmytrigger
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Trigger,

You get what you pay for. A couple of dollars more and you could get a real turn hey boat.

the whole thing was based on a bunch of "what ifs"......

your boat looks really nice......too bad our dollar dropped 20% since the summer.

how many hours? is it a saltwater boat? is there hyd steering, k planes or shorepower? high 70s, low 80s is that GPS?

Chris
01-27-2009, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=scandelous;92426]Trigger,

You get what you pay for. A couple of dollars more and you could get a real turn hey boat.[QUOTE]

Sooooo true.

Sometimes a bargain isn't. It can cost some major dollars taking an OK boat and turning it into a nice boat. I've done it dozens of times and turned each dollar I spent into 50 cents- or less. Instantly. But I always got exactly what I wanted. If you're not as anal as I am, I'd look at the boat you want, not the boat that could be.

Also, remember the expensive part of the boat is hidden out back. I always figure if a guy flogged the snot out of the stuff that his buddies and the pretty girls looked at, I don't figure he spent his evenings under the hatches. If what you see is beat, what you don't see surely is as well.

Fever Mike
01-27-2009, 12:00 PM
snip...however the Velocity we left the marina with did'nt make it back Delaminated in the storm ...

:

No...a Velocity delaminated...!:rofl: Yep built like a potato chip!

pullmytrigger
01-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Also, remember the expensive part of the boat is hidden out back. I always figure if a guy flogged the snot out of the stuff that his buddies and the pretty girls looked at, I don't figure he spent his evenings under the hatches. If what you see is beat, what you don't see surely is as well.

yeah I know......:(:ack2::)

BY U BOY
01-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Dude your avatar brings back BAD memories:sifone:

scandelous
01-29-2009, 08:33 AM
the whole thing was based on a bunch of "what ifs"......

your boat looks really nice......too bad our dollar dropped 20% since the summer.

how many hours? is it a saltwater boat? is there hyd steering, k planes or shorepower? high 70s, low 80s is that GPS?

There is around 200 hours on both the boat and the motors, no nyd. steering, yes K plans, GPS verified.:26:

Ran-Dom32
01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
The Scarab at the Repo Depo has 7.4 330's with newer intake's , they came out of my '96 32 Sunsation a few years back, I upgraded power & sold them to the last owner of that 31 Scarab. (actually it was the owner of a marine that was rigging the boat, he acquired it with out power)

scandelous
01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
The Scarab at the Repo Depo has 7.4 330's with newer intake's , they came out of my '96 32 Sunsation a few years back, I upgraded power & sold them to the last owner of that 31 Scarab. (actually it was the owner of a marine that was rigging the boat, he acquired it with out power)

My Scarab has, as you can see, all original equipment with 502's, providing
415 hp.

pullmytrigger
01-30-2009, 02:08 PM

thanks for the info......anything else you know about it??

Offshore Ginger
01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
I have repaired more then a few SCARBS in the past and mostly they have been Panthers and i have to say that the lay up or ( lamination ) of the boat has always been of poor quality and not to mention ,that there has always been so much bare wood exposed to water , weep holes , ext ext ext .:)