PDA

View Full Version : Sub 0 temps in Fla. warning

PARADOX
01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Got to go do some preventive measures for the night.
29 deg in NPR tonight. Geting some small heaters to keep the blocks warm.
Just in case. :ack2:

Pass it on to our buds in areas where it might get to sub 0..
Thx

BBB725
01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Just hang a trouble light in the bilge

pkspx
01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Just hang a trouble light in the bilge

ditto or take a trip to lowes for some other sort of cheap light fixture

waterboy222
01-15-2009, 05:05 PM
two clampon lights and two 100 w bulbs.. voila

dwtinc
01-15-2009, 05:36 PM
-2 here this morning

Chris
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
The bulb in the bilge thing makes me nervous. Mostly from the potential fire aspect.

PARADOX
01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Done.

I used bulbs before and shop lights. Worked ok. and had them on a small sheet of drywall and had a little shet metal on top, but I got a small heater for $20.
In case it tips over or overheats, it will shut off. I can sleep better at night with a UL label on it.

Bad Idea Baja
01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Unless it is going to be bad cold for a long time you guys are worrying over nothing.
24 degrees for 24 hours is the rule of thumb I've always gone by. I live in Dallas & don't winterize.

Roger 1
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
-18 here in Kankakee, Illinois this morning and about -10 and dropping now.

Tommy Gun
01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
If you must use a bilge heater get one that is made for the job...I use these in my cruiser...

http://www.xtremeheaters.com/

Chris
01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Done.

I can sleep better at night with a UL label on it.

I'd much rather have a couple of coated drop light bulbs in my bilge than a heater. I'm not worried about it causing an electrical fire, I'm concerned about it lighting fuel fumes.

old377guy
01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
When I used to put trouble lights in my engine compartment I used the "rough service" bulbls; I was even able to find 130v bulbs at one point. I trusted these not to burn out with service voltage spikes. - Jeff

dwtinc
01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Put two in just in case of the what ifs. I agree you guys don't have a worry down there.

Dan The Man
01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
29 degrees would be welcome here. This went down just down the road. We've had over 100 inches of snow, some rain and now sub zero temps all week. Spring can't come soon enough. I heard there are some antique tractors inside. Another day in paradise...

dwtinc
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Its a balmy 8 degrees here

phragle
01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
if your in florida and your boat is damaged, just send the bill to Al Gore with a note saying that it's an inconvienent truth that it got that cold in florida while the earth is melting.

MattBMiller
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
-9 when I started the truck this morning. It was 55 in my boat garage though :)

redhotsommer
01-15-2009, 09:07 PM
-11 on my drive to work this morning....supposed to be -15 tonight with -50 windchills! My boat is covered and comfy in the heated shop...right behind my sleds!

Wrinkleface
01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Got to go do some preventive measures for the night.
29 deg in NPR tonight. Geting some small heaters to keep the blocks warm.
Just in case. :ack2:

Pass it on to our buds in areas where it might get to sub 0..
Thx

Global warming Bubba!! Put on your long johns & grab your azz & quit *****'n!!!!:26::03:

fund razor
01-15-2009, 09:54 PM
It was sunny but the temp was like 10 yesterday. The ice on the roads would melt and then freeze and melt and freeze nice and flat like God's Zamboni. Cars were spinning out all around me. There were two kinds of drivers. The ones who had physics class (40 mph) and those who did not (70mph). Lot's of them bit it. I started dressing for the crashes yesterday instead of for work. Carhartts, big boots. Hat. Gloves. If I have to stand on the side of the road telling some dumbazz what a dumbazz he his I want to be dressed for it. :D

This morning. -8. :(

Nadudeimcool
01-15-2009, 10:09 PM
-18 here in Kankakee, Illinois this morning and about -10 and dropping now.

Hey how you doing? I was wondering if you happen to be at the Chicago PR?

catmando
01-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Go to Camper World or Academy Sports and buy a couple of those propane heaters. That's what I used here when it got below 32*. Works great no chance of fire.

Tommy Gun
01-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Good thing I put the dock deicers in last weekend...ice is forming tonight already on LOTO.

phragle
01-16-2009, 01:18 AM
I forgot my coffee in the car this morning, came out an hour and a half later and had a coffeecicle

dwtinc
01-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Good thing I put the dock deicers in last weekend...ice is forming tonight already on LOTO.

OOps

Roger 1
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey how you doing? I was wondering if you happen to be at the Chicago PR?

Yes, I was. I put up the banners.

RichL
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I started dressing for the crashes yesterday instead of for work. Carhartts, big boots. Hat. Gloves. If I have to stand on the side of the road telling some dumbazz what a dumbazz he his I want to be dressed for it. :D

:(

I thought I was the only one who did that kind of thing. :sifone:

scandelous
01-16-2009, 01:28 PM
12 degrees in Maryland... Freezin my azz off. The boats are fine though.

Griff
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
29* for overnight low is nothing to worry about. If it was going stay that cold for more than a day, then you would have to do something.

t500hps
01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
central VA.....was about 21 at lunch today. Forcast for tonight is 4 degrees. I'm OK with a couple days of really cold weather if it kills all the bugs. Last winter was very mild and when that happens the crawling critters become a BIT(H the next summer!!!

Scarab KV
01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
A couple days straight of a hard freeze before you need to worry.

kitten8
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
I heard it was 32 for only 6 hours.....:26:
Tampa Bay area. There is some jet skiers out there now!

getchasum111
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
29 is not cold enough to do any harm....it won't stay that cold for any amount of time where you are....but i understand....

Sunsation96
01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Hell, I would welcome 29° with open arms!!! It has been in the teens for a week now and is getting old...

cuda
01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Unless it is going to be bad cold for a long time you guys are worrying over nothing.
24 degrees for 24 hours is the rule of thumb I've always gone by. I live in Dallas & don't winterize.

Exactly. It will never stay cold enough, long enough to crack a block in New Port Richey. I've never winterized a thing. Not even with a lightbulb.

scandelous
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
:beatdeadhorse5: Colder then a witches tit...

PARADOX
01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
:beatdeadhorse5: Colder then a witches tit...

Now that's ole' school. Haven't heard that for decades.

McGary911
01-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Not worried about my boat up on NJ (winterized), but I've been running the pool filter at night here in Jacksonville. Got down in the 20s last night, and more of the same tonight.

Scarab KV
01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Not worried about my boat up on NJ (winterized), but I've been running the pool filter at night here in Jacksonville. Got down in the 20s last night, and more of the same tonight.

If water is flowing thru the filter, shouldn't be a problem.

glh
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
The new pres will fix that global warming cr@p don't worry....

DONZI
01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Here's what i gotta listen too all the time up here in Boston !
Caution profanity. Not safe for children etc. R rated for language from last April even !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjrMDNpODOc

FULL FORCE
01-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Exactly. It will never stay cold enough, long enough to crack a block in New Port Richey. I've never winterized a thing. Not even with a lightbulb.
Right... you have to have a day or twon in the 20's straight to freeze a block, I live in the cold azz north and have pushed limits with no issues, a few hrs in the 20's will nurt anything.

PARADOX
01-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Word of caution to all of you guys think a few hours of freezing temps nothing to worry about. WROOOONG.

While the block can withstand a few hours of freezing temps, there are a lot of smaller water routes, IE: exhaust manifolds that have little water in them. water pick ups, drives, hoses, pumps and even temp. sencors. Depends on how fast temps will fall, will depands how fast water will freeze and expand, thus cracking things, may be not the block but items you may not see any problems months or years down the road. (water) For the salt water boaters it's les of a problem due the the freezing temp. of salt water.
Generally the block and drive will be the same temps as the surrounding air temp. It will take some time for the block and drive to get cold enough to freeze even if the temps go bellow 32 for a while. But why take a chance. I moved from Chicago and I was late winterizing one of my boats around Thanksgiving, Temps dropped, manifolds cracked, Didn't know untill the spring even when I winterized soon after. You guys had no issues,!? (that you know of) are lucky. Count your blessing and be ready. When I winterized I even draind the mechanical speedo lines and removed the outdrive.
Food for thought.

TEAMBAJA
01-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Relax, your only looking at 2 or 3 hours in freezing temps. Grab a cocktail and drink away that horrible Florida weather. If I see 29 degrees up here, I'll be washing cars outside in a t-shirt.

PARADOX
01-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Relax, your only looking at 2 or 3 hours in freezing temps. Grab a cocktail and drink away that horrible Florida weather. If I see 29 degrees up here, I'll be washing cars outside in a t-shirt.

I drank enough antifreeze.. I'm good. :biggrinjester:

cuda
01-21-2009, 08:23 PM
central VA.....was about 21 at lunch today. Forcast for tonight is 4 degrees. I'm OK with a couple days of really cold weather if it kills all the bugs. Last winter was very mild and when that happens the crawling critters become a BIT(H the next summer!!!

Well said. Last winter here was so mild, the fleas and skeeters are terrible. A couple of freezing nights are worth it.

cuda
01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
It was sunny but the temp was like 10 yesterday. The ice on the roads would melt and then freeze and melt and freeze nice and flat like God's Zamboni. Cars were spinning out all around me. There were two kinds of drivers. The ones who had physics class (40 mph) and those who did not (70mph). Lot's of them bit it. I started dressing for the crashes yesterday instead of for work. Carhartts, big boots. Hat. Gloves. If I have to stand on the side of the road telling some dumbazz what a dumbazz he his I want to be dressed for it. :D

This morning. -8. :(

"God's Zamboni" LOL!

cuda
01-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Go to Camper World or Academy Sports and buy a couple of those propane heaters. That's what I used here when it got below 32*. Works great no chance of fire.
I must have missed the day in chemistry class when the non-flamability of propane was discussed. :)

cigdaze
01-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Damn. It's friggin' freezin'...this sucks! :(

cigdaze
01-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Are you kidding?...a propane heater in the bilge??? WTF?!

cuda
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Now that's ole' school. Haven't heard that for decades.

Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. :)

It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the problem. The best storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid, with one ball on top, resting on four, resting on nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others.

The solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations, called, for reasons unknown, a Monkey. But if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make them of brass - hence, Brass Monkeys.

Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally, cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. And all this time, you thought that was just a vulgar expression, didn't you?

cigdaze
01-22-2009, 08:29 AM
There was ice on my windshield this morning...frost on the ground. This ain't right...global warming for sure.

CROWN MAN
01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
I left the heat on 45* last night, So my baby will stay warm :sifone:

cuda
01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Iced over water bucket I had outside yesterday morning, Eight degrees warmer today. San Juan sounds about right for me.

Dan The Man
01-23-2009, 08:34 AM
This is in Parish, NY just a 20 minute drive north of Syracuse on Rte 81. 232" so far and counting. Another day in paradise. Boating season can't come soon enough.

CROWN MAN
01-23-2009, 10:23 AM
this is in parish, ny just a 20 minute drive north of syracuse on rte 81. 232" so far and counting. Another day in paradise. Boating season can't come soon enough.

holy sh!t

kitten8
01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Frost is gone, time to wash the trucks!

:)

Scarab KV
01-23-2009, 05:13 PM
This is in Parish, NY just a 20 minute drive north of Syracuse on Rte 81. 232" so far and counting. Another day in paradise. Boating season can't come soon enough.

WOW....least they don't have far to fall from the roof.

Ratickle
01-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Iced over water bucket I had outside yesterday morning, Eight degrees warmer today. San Juan sounds about right for me.

I think it's time for all you Southerners to practice.......

THEJOKER
01-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Sarasota , Florida this morning. Not condusive for laminating!

cuda
01-24-2009, 08:57 AM

We already do that. The difference being we do it on sandy beaches instead of snow. :)

41 this morning. :(

cuda
01-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Word of caution to all of you guys think a few hours of freezing temps nothing to worry about. WROOOONG.

While the block can withstand a few hours of freezing temps, there are a lot of smaller water routes, IE: exhaust manifolds that have little water in them. water pick ups, drives, hoses, pumps and even temp. sencors. Depends on how fast temps will fall, will depands how fast water will freeze and expand, thus cracking things, may be not the block but items you may not see any problems months or years down the road. (water) For the salt water boaters it's les of a problem due the the freezing temp. of salt water.
Generally the block and drive will be the same temps as the surrounding air temp. It will take some time for the block and drive to get cold enough to freeze even if the temps go bellow 32 for a while. But why take a chance. I moved from Chicago and I was late winterizing one of my boats around Thanksgiving, Temps dropped, manifolds cracked, Didn't know untill the spring even when I winterized soon after. You guys had no issues,!? (that you know of) are lucky. Count your blessing and be ready. When I winterized I even draind the mechanical speedo lines and removed the outdrive.
Food for thought.

Trust me, it will never stay cold long enough in New Port Richey to ever do any damage.

cpmarine
01-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I've been staying at my place in Hudson for a few weeks and believe me if this is as cold as it got in Jersey, I'd lose all my winterizing business. We usually say when it goes into the 20's at night without getting above freezing for a couple days you've got to drain blocks and manifolds. When I call my wife back in Jersey and I say it's cold here in Flordia, she just laughs at me. But I haven't used my boat in over a week and don't even like taking the bike out. But 70's today, I'll look like a real tourist ready for the beach.

MikeyFIN
01-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Weīve never had that much snow were I live.. .and now itīs in the 25īs.
Those worrying about freezing their blocks and raisers why donīt you just first drain them by opening the drain holes on the blocks and ends on the raisers..a 15 minute job for 2 engines at most and if you still feel unsecure plug them up and take the thermostat and raiser hoses open and fill them with a 50/50 antifreeze water mix...
Sometimes I do wish we had that much snow thou...

Dean Ferry
01-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah,
I used to drop a work light in the bilge with a 100 watt bulb, but I have found over the years, that with the boat on a lift over water that's probably, 60's deg. that IF it gets to 32 Deg air temp on the main land, that we here on MI are about 5-7 deg. warmer, and the temp over the water is even warmer. But if I lived on the mainland, I go back to the work light method.
At least it's warming up now.
Dean

cuda
01-25-2009, 03:32 PM
I've been staying at my place in Hudson for a few weeks and believe me if this is as cold as it got in Jersey, I'd lose all my winterizing business. We usually say when it goes into the 20's at night without getting above freezing for a couple days you've got to drain blocks and manifolds. When I call my wife back in Jersey and I say it's cold here in Flordia, she just laughs at me. But I haven't used my boat in over a week and don't even like taking the bike out. But 70's today, I'll look like a real tourist ready for the beach.

Yeah, I know a girl in Minnestota that didn't feel a whole lot of sympathy for me when the temp dropped to 30............it was 36 below zero there that day.

Scarab KV
01-25-2009, 06:14 PM

Nice Rat :rofl:

glh
01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Sarasota , Florida this morning. Not condusive for laminating!We didn't laminate sh!t here either this morning....