PDA

View Full Version : Not Looking good for hotboat :(

H20 Toie
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
I wonder if OSO will have the same fate?

Tank
01-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Saw the writing on the wall. From the "hostile take over/buy out" to running off all it's forums members to selling the magazine and website on Craigs list. Sh!t has not looked good for them for about a year now.

OSO has it's issues for sure, but nothing compared to Hotboat!!

glassdave
01-14-2009, 07:44 PM
honestly i haven't payed much attention lately can some one put the "readers digest" version up of what is going on?

H20 Toie
01-14-2009, 08:01 PM
honestly i haven't payed much attention lately can some one put the "readers digest" version up of what is going on?

refer to post #2

safa 1
01-14-2009, 08:03 PM
**** i just listed my boat and my golf cart on OSO, whats issues are they having

Tank
01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
**** i just listed my boat and my golf cart on OSO, whats issues are they having

James, OSO'S fine...What do you want for that pimp golf cart!? Love that thing!

Dave, Larry Flynt publications originally owned Hotboat. Two brothers (forget their names) were going to buy it and one of the brothers kind've screwed the other out of it (from what I've heard). The other brother started Performance boats forums/magazine. The new owners at hotboat kicked a bunch of members off of the forums for no apparent reason and the forums were down for many months while the buy out was taking place. The forums went from OSO busy to 5 posts a day busy in the time it was shut down. The magazine side of it seemed to have problems ever since it was purchased. Then you see them selling it (including the website) on Craiglist. Problems with the buy out, appearent issues with management coupled with bad economic timing equals doom.

That seems to be it in a nut shell. Don't know all the ins and outs but that's the word around the campfire.

safa 1
01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
James, OSO'S fine...What do you want for that pimp golf cart!? Love that thing!thanks tank, i want 15k, i payed double that, but i never use it

Lubejobs42
01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks tank, i want 15k, i payed double that, but i never use it

Post pictures and details.

Tank
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Post pictures and details.

that sh!t is way to tight for you Gino!:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

BAD!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/6_seater_golf_cart-o27384-en.html

Tank
01-14-2009, 09:46 PM

By the way, why are you selling the boat? what's next?

safa 1
01-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Post pictures and details.here you go, i have more pics. on OSO

safa 1
01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
By the way, why are you selling the boat? what's next?no not the skater or the benington, its the baja

Ratickle
01-14-2009, 10:32 PM

Dave, Larry Flynt publications originally owned Hotboat. Two brothers (forget their names) were going to buy it and one of the brothers kind've screwed the other out of it (from what I've heard). The other brother started Performance boats forums/magazine. The new owners at hotboat kicked a bunch of members off of the forums for no apparent reason and the forums were down for many months while the buy out was taking place. The forums went from OSO busy to 5 posts a day busy in the time it was shut down. The magazine side of it seemed to have problems ever since it was purchased. Then you see them selling it (including the website) on Craiglist. Problems with the buy out, appearent issues with management coupled with bad economic timing equals doom.

That seems to be it in a nut shell. Don't know all the ins and outs but that's the word around the campfire.

I've been trying to find out if any of its true for awhile and am having no luck. Wondering if there really is a fire sale or not? Anyone have anything concrete?

Tank
01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
no not the skater or the benington, its the baja

Ahhhh. I see. I almost had a buddy into that thing for you. He got scared with the economy though and is going to wait to buy.

Strip Poker 388
01-15-2009, 12:08 AM
I wonder if most are going to PB?http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/index.php

MetalBrosRacing
01-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Were you on crazypills, seriously.

glassdave
01-15-2009, 12:41 AM

Thanks Tank, i had seen a few posts hear and there but hadnt really cought up on it. Thats a shame, i liked that mag and remember the forum was a pretty good one to. The group over there helped me identify a west coast boat i was buying that the owner/marina was having trouble finding the title to and the boat had no markings on it. Where did all the members migrate to, was there another site started? seemed like a good bunch.

Tank
01-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks Tank, i had seen a few posts hear and there but hadnt really cought up on it. Thats a shame, i liked that mag and remember the forum was a pretty good one to. The group over there helped me identify a west coast boat i was buying that the owner/marina was having trouble finding the title to and the boat had no markings on it. Where did all the members migrate to, was there another site started? seemed like a good bunch.

When Hotboat banned a bunch of the "locals" from their website, there was a mass exedus. About the same time performanceboats.com was formed and all the members from Hotboat went there. You'll find all the peeps from Hotboat over there.

The whole thing reminds me, in a way, of how this site came to be.:sifone:

cigdaze
01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Hotboat started going downhill when that broad took over and got rid of the bikini shots...because that's about the only good thing that magazine had to offer anyway (besides deckboats with flames :rolleyes: ). There are other wayyyy better publications, Hotboat is no loss. My $0.02.

:)

Seafordguy
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I gotta ask, just so I make sure I understand correctly - you spent 30g's on a ****ing golf cart?

Chris
01-15-2009, 09:39 AM
I gotta ask, just so I make sure I understand correctly - you spent 30g's on a ****ing golf cart?

To each his own. Me, I'd have stuck a nice, clean Porsche 911 turbo in the garage.

glassdave
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
So the mag is no longer being printed either? I dont subscribe or anything but pick 'em up once in a while at the stand and havent been there in a while. .

BRAD SCHOENWALD
01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
here you go, i have more pics. on OSO

James,

I think you should just redo it at and theme it up to match the new Ferrari....

Gino You would have to buy a new hauler or make a choice between the chopper or the cart!

RebarBox
01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Hotboat started going downhill when that broad took over and got rid of the bikini shots...because that's about the only good thing that magazine had to offer anyway (besides deckboats with flames :rolleyes: ). There are other wayyyy better publications, Hotboat is no loss. My $0.02.

What other mags if shopping for left coast lake boats?

Bgchuby01
01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
go to performanceboats.com as for James golf cart I live in a golf cart community and people here spend 30 or sometimes more to have the best cart. You can drive them here like a car in our little city. For those of you in the snow how much is a tricked out snowmobile?

the bear
01-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Good question, what publications does everyone subscribe to for boating?

I used to subscribe to Hotboat, but didnt renew last year.

I also subscribe to Powerboat.

And that is one nice cart!

Baja Fresh
01-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Chris Davidson ran Hot Boat for like twenty years. He hired his brother Darren to help out. While Chris was at Graceland (he's a big Elvis fan) Darren arranged some financial backing and bought Hot Boat from LFP and fired Chris! :eek: Chris then started Performance Boats and the website which is way better than the Hot Boat site was. Darren is no longer affiliated with Hot Boat. I guess what goes around comes around. I thought Darren was a decent guy but screwing your brother over is pretty bad.

Chris has put together a pretty impressive staff and it seems to be growing every day as is the website/forum. I really like their online magazine and I think that is the wave (pun intended!) of the future for the magazine industry.

Audiofn
01-15-2009, 10:02 PM
go to performanceboats.com as for James golf cart I live in a golf cart community and people here spend 30 or sometimes more to have the best cart. You can drive them here like a car in our little city. For those of you in the snow how much is a tricked out snowmobile?

MAYBE 17K would be off the charts money. Most are under 10K and they run wll over 100 :D

OldSchool
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Here's mine. It cost me $2500. Don't mind the northeast boys. they don't put much into their golf carts.......because they've been known to run them of cliffs and chit like that!!!!:ack2::eek::eek::sifone::26:

safa 1
01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Were you on crazypills, seriously.
no crazy pills , you would be surprised how much those thing cost , im looking at a rhino the guy wants 30k used , he said he spent 45k

safa 1
01-15-2009, 10:38 PM
James,

I think you should just redo it at and theme it up to match the new Ferrari....

Gino You would have to buy a new hauler or make a choice between the chopper or the cart! may be the next one brad lol., its gonna match the boat , BTW congrats

safa 1
01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
absolutely Jeff, thanks

Audiofn
01-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Here's mine. It cost me $2500. Don't mind the northeast boys. they don't put much into their golf carts.......because they've been known to run them of cliffs and chit like that!!!!:ack2::eek::eek::sifone::26:

Off a cliff, in the fire, flipped over, you name it. You never know what you are gona get when you get in one but one thing is for sure you won't forget it and it Disney does not have rides like this :D :sifone::sifone:

Tank
01-16-2009, 12:38 AM
no crazy pills , you would be surprised how much those thing cost , im looking at a rhino the guy wants 30k used , he said he spent 45k

James, don't buy it yet. I have a buddy that has a fully custom built Polaris. He wants 15k for it. Here's the ad on Ebay...It's out in Havasu now. Let me know if you're interested.

Tank

ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290287204816&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

BRAD SCHOENWALD
01-16-2009, 01:17 AM
may be the next one brad lol., its gonna match the boat , BTW congrats

Thank You, I'll be in LA on the 6th but have to get back here Sunday night.

GRADS
01-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Chris Davidson ran Hot Boat for like twenty years. He hired his brother Darren to help out. While Chris was at Graceland (he's a big Elvis fan) Darren arranged some financial backing and bought Hot Boat from LFP and fired Chris! :eek: Chris then started Performance Boats and the website which is way better than the Hot Boat site was. Darren is no longer affiliated with Hot Boat. I guess what goes around comes around. I thought Darren was a decent guy but screwing your brother over is pretty bad.

Chris has put together a pretty impressive staff and it seems to be growing every day as is the website/forum. I really like their online magazine and I think that is the wave (pun intended!) of the future for the magazine industry.

I agree with everything but the last statement. If I can't read it while I'm on the throne I won't bother.

Tank
01-16-2009, 02:23 AM
I agree with everything but the last statement. If I can't read it while I'm on the throne I won't bother.

Agreed 100%. I like having a magazine in my hand to thumb through with out finding a computer.

TexasChopper
01-16-2009, 08:44 AM

The money you can spend on a Rhino is endless. Checkout Rhinoforums.net if you leaning that way.

cigdaze
01-16-2009, 08:45 AM

I'm really liking the new performance boats magazine. Get both editions: Offshore edition and Lake edition.

RichL
01-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Agreed 100%. I like having a magazine in my hand to thumb through with out finding a computer.

Ditto that!

Baja Fresh
01-16-2009, 06:07 PM

I used to subscribe to a ton of magazines: boats, cars, motorcycles, hot rods, off road, etc. I had such a huge collection and they took up a ton of room. I got rid of them all and no longer subscribe to any magazines. I eat bran flakes so I don't have to stay in the bathroom so long! :sifone:

Magicfloat
01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Magazines seem to be going the way of newspapers,much less content. Got my new Boating mag yesterday,about half the pages as last year. Kind of like my morning paper,used to go thru a pot of coffee reading it every morning. Now,one cup,and I'm done. And all the news,I already read all the articles on their website the previous day.Kind of sad,I am used to spending time every morning with the paper,just not the same on a laptop.I hear that many of the big city newspapers are in serious trouble,hate to see it.

JupiterSunsation
01-16-2009, 06:50 PM
To each his own. Me, I'd have stuck a nice, clean Porsche 911 turbo in the garage.

Yep me too........the late 80's stuff is getting cheap too......

mikes280
01-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Magazines seem to be going the way of newspapers,much less content. Got my new Boating mag yesterday,about half the pages as last year. Kind of like my morning paper,used to go thru a pot of coffee reading it every morning. Now,one cup,and I'm done. And all the news,I already read all the articles on their website the previous day.Kind of sad,I am used to spending time every morning with the paper,just not the same on a laptop.I hear that many of the big city newspapers are in serious trouble,hate to see it.
it will save a lot of trees:26:

Strip Poker 388
01-17-2009, 04:46 PM

maybe they will beable to make more T.P. for my BUNGHOLEEEEEOOOOO:rolleyes::cheers2: