PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover Sport Supercharged

waterboy222
01-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Does anyone have one of these? Im thinking of trading my F250 in on a luxury SUV and the size, interior, ride and HP of the RR is pretty much what Im lookin for. I found one with less than 30k miles on it, used. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with these?

Chris
01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Run, don't walk, run away.

They're stylish. They're unique. And they LOVE spending time in the dealer's service departments. There's a reason you can get one a couple of years old for so much less than it cost new. Check everything from the JD Power rankings to Consumer Reports and you'll find the same thing. Rovers are not going to rank in the top half on anyone's reliability list.

waterboy222
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Ive heard that and tried to google it but I cant find anything that says WHATS happening to them.. New they were like 71k and its 3 years old and in the mid 30k range now. 400 HP supercharged and has a 75k mile warranty. Id entertain the idea of an extended warranty on it.

DollaBill
01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
ACV's are in the 15-20 range. Don't buy one.

Chris
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
They're built by the British. No Brit car manufacturer as ever in the history of the automobile built a reliable one. They couldn't build them to be reliable when they were MG's that had nothing more than a seat and a couple gauges in the dash and they've gotten not one bit better at it now that a common vehicle has more electronics, wiring and computers in it that your average fighter plane.

You hit a good point- go try to buy an extended service contract for it from a solid, well-known company.

waterboy222
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Arent they made by Ford now though? Ive seen bad reports on the 05 and previous model but this one is an 06 or an 07 (depending on which color Id get).

Sea-Dated
01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Does anyone have one of these? Im thinking of trading my F250 in on a luxury SUV and the size, interior, ride and HP of the RR is pretty much what Im lookin for. I found one with less than 30k miles on it, used. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with these?

If you get one CPO, then don't worry about it. Great warranty and free loaner rovers with warranty work. Just bought the wife an LR3 last month and from what I can tell, the people who say that Rovers have tons of problems have never owned one.

This is our first one but we talked to several people who currently own one and have yet to find someone who said they would not own another one. Several people have owned several and will continue to buy Rovers.

Sea-Dated
01-12-2009, 05:23 PM
You hit a good point- go try to buy an extended service contract for it from a solid, well-known company.

I would buy from the dealership and get CPO. I have yet to hear a good thing about ANY third party warranty company.....

Call Rupy or Eric at Land Rover of Tulsa and tell them I sent you....

Sea-Dated
01-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Or check with By U Boy, he sells them in Houston.....

waterboy222
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
dealing with Mark at LandRover of Tulsa.. Eric took my diesel for a drive, when he got back he said "um, let me guess you've done a little work to it?" Guess he turned it sideways on memorial.. All i could see was the black smoke, haha.. Hes gonna have to sharpen his pencil a little on the trade in though.

Sea-Dated
01-12-2009, 05:31 PM
dealing with Mark at LandRover of Tulsa.. Eric took my diesel for a drive, when he got back he said "um, let me guess you've done a little work to it?" Guess he turned it sideways on memorial.. All i could see was the black smoke, haha.. Hes gonna have to sharpen his pencil a little on the trade in though.

Eric is the manager over there, that is who did my deal.

They are great to work with and their customer service is as good as Lexus' in my opinion....

waterboy222
01-12-2009, 05:34 PM
ya, they seemed really easy to work with. I thought about going the ebay route but I wanted a local relationship with the dealership because of the reliability issues Ive heard. And all I can find on them is that they aren't disabling issues, just annoying issues.

Sea-Dated
01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
ya, they seemed really easy to work with. I thought about going the ebay route but I wanted a local relationship with the dealership because of the reliability issues Ive heard. And all I can find on them is that they aren't disabling issues, just annoying issues.

Yup, that is what I found also. Bumper to bumper warranty until 75K miles and loaner car during service make it a non issue in my opinion.

glassdave
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
They're built by the British. No Brit car manufacturer as ever in the history of the automobile built a reliable one. They couldn't build them to be reliable when they were MG's that had nothing more than a seat and a couple gauges in the dash and they've gotten not one bit better at it now that a common vehicle has more electronics, wiring and computers in it that your average fighter plane.

yep . . . . theres a reason why British Leyland electrical has come to be known as "the prince of darkness" . . .

Chris
01-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I owned one- my wife's actually. It was a nightmare. I was told all of what I'm writing by someone else before I bought it and chose to ignore it. It was "too good of a deal". For what I had in service, I could have sprung the extra and bought the Gelandewagen.

Chris
01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?

A: Lucas refrigeators.

Chris
01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Read for yourself-

http://www.rangerovers.net/news/Archives/rrnewsarchive2.html#jdp

In 2005, Rover was better than only Kia on quality and problems.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008115

As of this year, Kia has pulled ahead.
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008115
(scroll down for the chart)

Offshoredrillin
01-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Stecz has one, loves it. ask him.

Shockwave
01-12-2009, 08:06 PM
A Range Rover will take you to the ends of the Earth but will never be able to bring you back .
:ack2:

MarylandMark
01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Hes gonna have to sharpen his pencil a little on the trade in though.

I'd like to know how that goes- might be better of being a 2 truck owner..

ProMod
01-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I didn't care for my 07 very much way over rated and for me uncomfortable as hell to drive. I traded mine to my Ford dealer with 20k miles straight up for two new F150 work trucks and a used Taurus.

Total thumbs down as a daily driver in my opinion.

I actually enjoyed driving the less expensive loner Rovers the dealer dropped by the house every time they took the Sport for another repair more than driving mine.

They have pretty good brakes for an SUV ill give it that much!

stecz20
01-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Love mine. Would buy another in a second. I bought my wife my girlfriend at the time a discovery in 2000 and the service was second to none. We had little to no problems on all our rovers. Only probelem I have with our sport is the trunk space is tight and traveling withe the two dobermans and the baby is tight.

BY U BOY
01-12-2009, 10:29 PM
most problems were pre 05. They have come along way. If you do buy make sure it is from a land rover dealer and have it certified. Get the 75 or 100K warranty.

Sea-Dated
01-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Love mine. Would buy another in a second. I bought my wife my girlfriend at the time a discovery in 2000 and the service was second to none. We had little to no problems on all our rovers. Only probelem I have with our sport is the trunk space is tight and traveling withe the two dobermans and the baby is tight.

He has spoken.....

The word is law now......

TOMTBONE
01-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Or check with By U Boy, he sells them in Houston.....

I am going to have By U Boys azz for letting this get two pages before he comments. "Since I brought him aboard"

The Range Rover Sport retails new from 59K to 84K depending on options.

That will give you a huge spread on what today's market value is on a pre-owned. I can help you out with a good purchase price and or get you a better deal on a incoming lease return.

The JDpowers crap, does not compare the cars and manufactures on level playing fields. If they wanted to start they would survey all the brands the same.

Feel free to give me a shout. Tom 832-577-2250

BY U BOY
01-13-2009, 01:01 AM
I am going to have By U Boys azz for letting this get two pages before he comments. "Since I brought him aboard"

The Range Rover Sport retails new from 59K to 84K depending on options.

That will give you a huge spread on what today's market value is on a pre-owned. I can help you out with a good purchase price and or get you a better deal on a incoming lease return.

The JDpowers crap, does not compare the cars and manufactures on level playing fields. If they wanted to start they would survey all the brands the same.

Feel free to give me a shout. Tom 832-577-2250

I just saw this myself.

waterboy222
01-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Id like a black with ivory interior supercharged, perfect condition.. 06 or 07. would consider silver too

masher44
01-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Id like a black with ivory interior supercharged, perfect condition.. 06 or 07. would consider silver too

ok snoopdogg

Cookee
01-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I used to live 15 minutes from the factory and I'm in the market for something like that and I'm looking at the VW Toureg or the Porsche Cayenne, both of these are available second hand over here (UK) for silly money, but I wouldn't have a Range Rover. I need mine for towing boats, and transporting wife (to be) and the new dog in comfort.

JupiterSunsation
01-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Two Dobermans?....... Do you have the Hawaiian shirt and the FieroFerrari too Magnum?

JupiterSunsation
01-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Waterboy

Even if you love the truck with all this great feedback on the RR's who are you going to sell it to when you are done with it?

My buddy (BMW Service Writer) stole a Discovery when it came in on trade. 66K miles/5 years old and got it for $5500. Got a 9K loan on it (got 3500 in his pocket to buy it) and drove it 3 years for gas/oil changes only! His sole repair was a battery and the tires got rotated a couple times. He traded it three years later for the loan payoff. In comparison my neighbor bought a brand new 96 RR HSE (the original supercharged RR), paid all the money (1st one/ blk/blk, 18's etc). Truck was towed to dealer (30 miles away) almost weekly. Best was turn key, starts but NONE of the accessories work (no radio, a/c, radio or even power windows!) A blk/blk RR in S. FL in the summer with no windows, a/c is not worth much. She traded it on her 4th Toyota Landcruiser and never looked back.

outriggers
01-13-2009, 02:22 PM
My wife has one and she loves it. That being said, I hate it. She does't pay the bills. I've spent over $6000 on the engine in the past year. I don't mind turning wrenches, but I as stay far away as my wallet will allow. It now needs 4 new oxygen senors at about $500 each. I'll have to go aftermarket and install myself. As long as she likes it I'll spent money my on it, its still cheaper than buying a new one. I thought Ford sold Rover to some company in India. I also think a Mercedes G wagon would have been better choice. Doug

waterboy222
01-13-2009, 06:27 PM
G wagon cant be had for close to the same price, even used.. ive looked at those too. Im reconsidering, plus they arent comin up much on my trade-in.

waterboy222
01-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Are you referring to the G500? Maybe you meant the GL series?

JupiterSunsation
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
G wagon cant be had for close to the same price, even used.. ive looked at those too. Im reconsidering, plus they arent comin up much on my trade-in.

WB there is a reason they aren't stepping up on your trade......it is because we are in a recession so they might have trouble selling your Ford to anyone who doesn't pay cash for it.

Don't you live in the Midwest? If so do yourself a favor and keep the Ford, you are too far from Miami, the Hamptons and S. Cali to need a RR anyway!

searaycer
01-13-2009, 07:00 PM
my father in law let them come and get his 2001 discovery, time after time after time that thing broke down, he was proud as all get out when he got it, I just said we'll see how it runs from what I know they have trouble, he got all offended, "bull**** these things go anyhere and are know for lasting forever". Three months later we came to visit and every warning light in the damn thing was on, after a year of constant breakdowns it died, he got out took the plates off called a cab and told them to come and get it, needless to say he is no longer a Rover fan.

RebarBox
01-13-2009, 11:18 PM
.. and from what I can tell, the people who say that Rovers have tons of problems have never owned one.

I've owned 'one' and 'one' is all I will have ever owned.:ack2:

The only car worse that the POS Land Rover is our current POFS Audi.:blush5:

gatorone
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I have had three and never had any problems. Just bought my wife an 09 supercharged sport limited and she loves it:lurk5:

Spine Tingler
01-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Cale: We were looking at them last month but with all of the horror stories I have been told by my friends, who owned 06 and 07 RR, Kelley and I decided that several trips to the dealership would be too much of a pain in the ass. Even if you get a free loaner. It's convenience! Talk to Bob about a SLADE.

Slandrew
01-14-2009, 09:15 AM
My daughter wanted a new 1 we test drove it almost purchased it till I spoke to owners:(All wheel benz or Jeep less$$ for either:sifone:Better feed back a lot of bad press even on 07 and newer!!:boxing_smiley:

waterboy222
01-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Well one of the reasons I was lookin at the RR was for the convenience of getting around Tulsa. My truck takes roughly 19 acres to turn around so getting around at the mall or most midtown areas is a *****. THe escalades are nice but Its not much smaller than my truck. Im leanin towards the GL450 MB now I think. Im headed to town tonight to drive one.

Slandrew
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Well one of the reasons I was lookin at the RR was for the convenience of getting around Tulsa. My truck takes roughly 19 acres to turn around so getting around at the mall or most midtown areas is a *****. THe escalades are nice but Its not much smaller than my truck. Im leanin towards the GL450 MB now I think. Im headed to town tonight to drive one.
MB has 2010 nice SUV in show room up here:)

Spine Tingler
01-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Cool, I thought the regular slades were much shorter than a 250. But then again look who you're talking to, I drive the Freightliner midtown, Brookside, and the narrowest streets in Tulsa. BTW, don't forget the Benz dealer in Joplin. They were better with service on the S and SL. Good luck big daddy!

waterboy222
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
ya, how the hell you drive the FL thru midtown without buying every other telephone pole is beyond me! Joplin has a nice MB and they have a much MUCH better trade in offer on my truck. Might be workin with them on it in the near future. I had the dealer pull the service history on the VIN for the RR and its been in service 11 times since March of 06.

waterboy222
01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone have anything to say about the Audi Q7 with the V8?

JupiterSunsation
01-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Yes and No.........My wife had an 04 A8L, bought it new, ran it 49K miles without missing a beat. The 4.2 V8 is the same they use in the Q7.

She wanted a Q7 but the leases were insane and I didn't like it that much. Went with a GL Mercedes with the diesel motor. First one died twice in 29 days on the side of the road and we gave it back to MBUSA and got another. That one is 19 months old with 41K miles and has been perfect so far.

ar15meister
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Buy an SRT8 Cherokee.

Cant beat it for the money.

ar15meister
01-14-2009, 07:26 PM

get the body coloured purse option....:ack2:

ar15meister
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
notice the trend that most of the guys on here bought them for their wives....

FWIW. lol.

Quinlan
01-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Cool, I thought the regular slades were much shorter than a 250. But then again look who you're talking to, I drive the Freightliner midtown, Brookside, and the narrowest streets in Tulsa. BTW, don't forget the Benz dealer in Joplin. They were better with service on the S and SL. Good luck big daddy!

I can attest to this. The Big Yellow comming down Lewis is SWEET!! I love watchin biotches faces when you come by. Good stuff

waterboy222
01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
I think ive given up on finding an SUV... I think Im goin with a 645ci instead. I have a 4 door wrangler so having two suv's and being single doesnt make much sense..

Spine Tingler
01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I can attest to this. The Big Yellow comming down Lewis is SWEET!! I love watchin biotches faces when you come by. Good stuff

**** I can keep it between the lines better than some of those brainless biotches!

Tommy Gun
02-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Drive a Porsche Cayenne S; service interval, including oil change is 20k miles, have 72K miles on my 2006 and had to replace the water pump and wiper blades. It is very nimble around town, nice on the hway, great in the snow and it tows the 20.

JupiterSunsation
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Drive a Porsche Cayenne S; service interval, including oil change is 20k miles, have 72K miles on my 2006 and had to replace the water pump and wiper blades. It is very nimble around town, nice on the hway, great in the snow and it tows the 20.

I was wondering how those were mechanically......My buddy bought a V8 VW Tourag and it was a turd. Tons of electrical issues causing computer failures/dead batteries. I thought they were ugly and overpriced when compared the Cayenne. The 345 HP Cayenne S is the nicest package in the line up (V6 blows, Twin Turbo is overkill).