PDA

View Full Version : Whats do we tell the landlord?

Perlmudder
01-07-2009, 04:59 PM
So, I know some of you guys on here are landlords, so maybe you can help me out. 5 of us live in a rental house in Guelph where we all attend university. We have been living in the same house for the last 2 years, but at the end of this year, we are parting ways. When we moved in, the place was pretty clean, and we plan on leaving it spotless when our lease is up. The landlord is an awesome guy, and we all really like him, so we don't wanna **** him over. When we moved in the carpets were pretty trashed to begin with, and over the last 2 years and next couple months, will probably get even worse. We like to have parties, and smoke hookah, and every so often the coal will fall on the ground burning the carpet. We have cleaned them as best we can many times, but they are still trashed. We don't want to have to write him a a huge cheque for replacing the carpets when we leave because in all fairness they were stained and worn out pretty bad when we got here. So what do we do? i dont wanna be an ass and just sorta move out and say c ya. sooooooo what are my options?

He is a really cool guy, we broke a wall one time during a party and called him and he came and repaired it, we offered to pay him, but he said no, so we bought him a bottle of liquor.

Thanks guys!
Josh

cigdaze
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
How much carpet are we talkin' about? Carpet isn't too expensive, it may be well within your security deposit in which case, just tell him to keep it in exchange for the carpet damage.

If it was really that bad to begin with, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Rent a shampooer, clean it the best you can, and fugghetaboutit!

Mark
01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Given what you say, you have been there long enough to justify him replacing the carpet. Just make everything else spotless. If he does say something, offer to pay a partial amount for replacement or keep your deposit. How large is your deposit and can you guys go without getting it or half of it back?

Perlmudder
01-07-2009, 05:30 PM
we dont actually have a security deposit on the place. when we signed, we gave him 12 post dated cheques. the area in question is only like 2 feet by 2 feet right near our coffee table. ill try and take a pic tonight and post it. my worry was that the carpet on the main floor and upstairs are the same. hes stopping by tonight to show the house to some other people so maybe ill talk to him if im here. we pay between 300-390 per person btw.

Mark
01-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, like Cig said - shampoo what you can. He expects college guys to party.

Audiofn
01-07-2009, 05:38 PM
If the guy is cool he will not care. Find that hard to beleive but hey stranger things can happen. Unless you have pictures to show the condition of the rug when you moved in then it is your word against his. If he did not charge you to fix a hole in the wall then I would say pay for the rug. We ruined some rugs in a house that we rented and when we moved out we replaced the rugs. The guy came in and even told me he was expecting to have to replace the rugs and was pumped that we had done it for him. We also rebuilt his rotted out porch. Talk to the guy and see what he wants to do. If the rugs are older then tell him you will pay half of the value.

RPM
01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
As Cig Daze said.. carpet isn't too expensive and is bound to get a little wear and tear w/ a bunch of college boys over the course of 2 years. I'm sure he probably anticipates a little repair, before the new tenants come in anyway. Offer to help as much as possible and obviously clean it up. Being straight up about it is the best plan though.

Ms PatriYacht
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
you are moving at the end of the year and he is showing the place to someone else tonight, wow he is getting a real head start.

Perlmudder
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
you are moving at the end of the year and he is showing the place to someone else tonight, wow he is getting a real head start.

its pretty crazy here, some people even start looking before xmas break. we will be moving out in april though so its really only 4 months.

Perlmudder
01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
As Cig Daze said.. carpet isn't too expensive and is bound to get a little wear and tear w/ a bunch of college boys over the course of 2 years. I'm sure he probably anticipates a little repair, before the new tenants come in anyway. Offer to help as much as possible and obviously clean it up. Being straight up about it is the best plan though.

ya, i will talk to him tonight. he will have to fix a couple cupboards and some other random stuff also. id imagine he will paint when the new people move in also.

Perlmudder
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
i think the biggest problem landlords have around here is that most tenants move out at the end of april and the new tenants move in may 1st so it doesnt really give them much time to clean the place up. when we moved in here, he was cleaning when we were moving in and was painting for most of may. hes a good guy, so im sure the next set of renters will also like him!

Chris
01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
When I did college rentals, I was at least 9 months out on having everything booked. My son signed his Fall 09 lease a year ih advance- and had to take what they had left. College rentals are different. Everyone's lease is up at the same time- literally. Midnight the day after the end of the spring semester. And at least half are either moving into a different unit or graduating and leaving.

On the carpets, if I got 5 years out of them, I got my money's worth. Carpet is not even close to being cheap. If you want to get 5 rentable years out of it you need to buy a commercial-grade loop pile and you're close to $3 grand to do an average 4-bed, 2-story house.

Perlmudder
01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
When I did college rentals, I was at least 9 months out on having everything booked. My son signed his Fall 09 lease a year ih advance- and had to take what they had left. College rentals are different. Everyone's lease is up at the same time- literally. Midnight the day after the end of the spring semester. And at least half are either moving into a different unit or graduating and leaving.

On the carpets, if I got 5 years out of them, I got my money's worth. Carpet is not even close to being cheap. If you want to get 5 rentable years out of it you need to buy a commercial-grade loop pile and you're close to $3 grand to do an average 4-bed, 2-story house.

damn 9 months! for the most part, were usually done by early april so most people have 3 weeks or so to get their crap out before the lease is up.

ours definitely isn't commercial grade, it almost feels like it might be wool or something? it stains really easy.