PDA

View Full Version : Prices in Classifieds?

Steve Miklos
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
I really like how the classified adds here on Serious are required to have prices. I have been boat shopping and am surprised by how many of the large dealers post no price.

How many of you call on advertisements with no price? I do not bother as I expect an oppourtunist answer and the only time I did the price later changed. Whats your experience/opinion?

Thanks
Steve

cigdaze
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
This issue was a big point of discussion that we made when organizing the board; It's one of my biggest pet peeves when I see an ad with no price...I too usually ignore the ones without an asking price.

Trim'd Up
01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I agree. I figure if they aren't willing to post a price, it is probably out of line. I never look twice at an add without a price.

Davidmnc
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I like prices as well. It's a great rule. Thank you SOS

In2Deep
01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
It's one of my biggest pet peeves when I see an ad with no price...I too usually ignore the ones without an asking price.

I couldn't agree more

BradH
01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Or when someone lists $1; I hate that. It's rampant on sites like boattrader.com.

Davidmnc
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Or when someone lists $1; I hate that. It's rampant on sites like boattrader.com.

Yea there should be a law that says they have to sell it for that! Wait there is! Ok :leaving:

Bgchuby01
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM
The dealers post no price so that you call them and engage in conversation so that they can make a sale with you.

Davidmnc
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
The dealers post no price so that you call them and engage in conversation so that they can make a sale with you.

Alot of RV dealers do the same thing. We post prices. There are good arguments both way

RHC
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM

and those same Dealer's ***** about tire kicker's calling and wasting there time ---- Put the damm price in the add ------it's that simple !

RHC

BobbyB
01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah i love having the prices posted.

Master Wrench
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I too like posting the price, the only problem is dealer aggreements use to say that you couldn't post current product prices. Only 1 year or older model year. In todays market, list a price. It cant hurt any, whats the boat builder gonna do, find another dealer? Good luck with that right now.

Bgchuby01
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree seeing the price would get to the chase that much quicker if the caller was really interested. By having the customer call and ask questions the dealer gets the chance to feel out the caller and see his budget and possible trade-in. Same BS works in the auto industry

Sea-Dated
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I loke seeing the price. Takes some of the guess work about the ad.

Buoy
01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I think it kind of goes back to the old saying "If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it" mentality. If they can't post an asking price, I must not be able to afford it.
If a seller isn't willing to list a starting point price, I won't bother with the ad.
This is one of the things that was a sticking point around here before the board even opened.

BY U BOY
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I skip right past the adds with no price.I'm not going to waste my time or his.

OldSchool
01-05-2009, 08:39 PM
I skip right past the adds with no price.I'm not going to waste my time or his.

:iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid::biggrinjester:

Offshoredrillin
01-05-2009, 08:40 PM
If you are interested call, look at it from their perspective. they put a starting price and the first thing you get is the know it alls on here saying it is too expensive. then the threads start about it and hearsay and next thing you know the forum has done damage to a boat and and an advertiser.pick up the phone and call, I'm quite sure you will here it is being offeered at $######, if you would like to make an offer please do so.
for full time marines like pier 57 and LCM as well as shogren and some others it wouldn't bother me one bit to not see a price, because if I'm interested, I will call.

MahopacMarine
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
This one can go either way for me. On one hand, I would love to post pricing to give everyone an opportunity to shop at home and find a boat in their price range that they like. Unfortunately, my dealer agreements on all the boat lines I carry will only allow me to put up MSRP pricing.

Would everyone be interested in seeing an MSRP price?
Do you think that would still peak your interest or steer you away due to the higher price than what you could buy for?

On the other hand, I look forward to having the calls come in from potential clients as well as the tire kickers. Anyone selling anything is going to get the low ballers and kickers, its part of the job. By getting the calls, or emails on the boats, it helps me to see what type of advertising works or doesnt.

JMO

dykstra
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I like seing the prices also.

Buoy
01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
If you are interested call, look at it from their perspective. they put a starting price and the first thing you get is the know it alls on here saying it is too expensive. then the threads start about it and hearsay and next thing you know the forum has done damage to a boat and and an advertiser.pick up the phone and call, I'm quite sure you will here it is being offeered at $######, if you would like to make an offer please do so.
for full time marines like pier 57 and LCM as well as shogren and some others it wouldn't bother me one bit to not see a price, because if I'm interested, I will call.

I disagree.
We have people on the board that all live within different means.
The seller has a price in mind that they want. They should at least post a starting price for negotiation.
The buyer has a price that he/she is willing to spend. Lets at least start in a common area of the spectrum.
That will at least let me know if it's something within reason for my budget.
I understand the dealer point of view, but even if they post an MSRP, it establishes a starting point.
Just my opinion.

baywatch
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
I disagree.
We have people on the board that all live within different means.
The seller has a price in mind that they want. They should at least post a starting price for negotiation.
The buyer has a price that he/she is willing to spend. Lets at least start in a common area of the spectrum.
That will at least let me know if it's something within reason for my budget.
I understand the dealer point of view, but even if they post an MSRP, it establishes a starting point.
Just my opinion.

I agree with Buoy. When I was last boat shopping I got so fed up with talking to dealers that didn't post starting prices. Often times I called and got the starting price and ended the conversation there simply because the gap between what I was willing to pay and where they were starting was way to large.

jhenrie
01-05-2009, 11:14 PM
On a used boat , The rule is great. There is a big difference between a cream puff price and a clapped out barges' price. Gotta see a price there. New is a different story. Mfgrs have a suggested list price. Thats a great starting point. You know you can find an aggressive dealer in this market that will discount a boat in his inventory . Anyway , for new boat sales I'm looking for a name , I know If I want to check out a new sunsation , I'm calling Mahopac Marine and finding someone to work with!!!

fund razor
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I can see Rob's point as far as if it is a boat that you are currently looking for... you will probably call.

But it has been proven over and over again in testing retail psychology that if an item is not priced... like 9 out of 10 people set it down and walk away.

Chris
01-06-2009, 11:17 AM
The first question asked is always "How much?" There's really no reason not to have it there in advance. The second question is always "Do you have pictures?".

I understand that dealers have published-pricing issues, but SWAP is for individuals so that's not an issue.

Lastly, published asking prices serve to educate all of us on where the market is at.

TEAMBAJA
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Chris, I was going to PM you with a question about EBAY since alot of us sell on there.

My question is, are you ok with listing a link to a NO RESERVE auction? You wouldnt really be able to list a price. Ive done that in the past with pictures. Any thoughts? I think its totally fair since everyone has an equal chance to bid.

Chris
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Chris, I was going to PM you with a question about EBAY since alot of us sell on there.

My question is, are you ok with listing a link to a NO RESERVE auction? You wouldnt really be able to list a price. Ive done that in the past with pictures. Any thoughts? I think its totally fair since everyone has an equal chance to bid.

Are you talking about putting an item on Ebay and linking it here? I have zero problem with that. The object of the site is to help everyone- if you sell your stuff and someone here wants it and buys it, everyone wins.

Steve Miklos
01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I was speaking of used boats. On the new boats you do your research and buy where you can I have purchased the top brands of V hulls and always been able to buy from the Factory with much effort and some racing involved.

I recently called a big dealer on a used catamaran got a price the pictures had engines the add had engines it turns out the price was without engines. I only found out when asking for the hours on them.

I am the type that never offers a price without being ready to pay if accepted. This makes dealing with dealers with no starting points or ones that resemble phone number hardly worth the effort.
Steve

RumRunner
01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Would everyone be interested in seeing an MSRP price?
Do you think that would still peak your interest or steer you away due to the higher price than what you could buy for?

JMO

I would think a little disclaimer stating this is MSRP, please call for current discounted pricing (or something to that affect) would be the way to go.

TEAMBAJA
01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Are you talking about putting an item on Ebay and linking it here? I have zero problem with that. The object of the site is to help everyone- if you sell your stuff and someone here wants it and buys it, everyone wins.

Yes, thanks! Thats what I was hoping to hear! :)

Strip Poker 388
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
This issue was a big point of discussion that we made when organizing the board; It's one of my biggest pet peeves when I see an ad with no price...I too usually ignore the ones without an asking price.

I call it, pre qualifying the costumer, they want to know about you first before they give ya a price:(

cosmic12
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I call it, pre qualifying the costumer, they want to know about you first before they give ya a price:(

Ya thats the truth, they also want to know if you have a trade so they can jack the price to steal your boat and bang you atleast retail. All the while smileing and telling you theres is gold and yours is nothing but led and they really don't want it unless they can steal it. Put a price in the ad or don't advertise it.:seeya:

MahopacMarine
01-06-2009, 09:45 PM
On a used boat , The rule is great. There is a big difference between a cream puff price and a clapped out barges' price. Gotta see a price there. New is a different story. Mfgrs have a suggested list price. Thats a great starting point. You know you can find an aggressive dealer in this market that will discount a boat in his inventory . Anyway , for new boat sales I'm looking for a name , I know If I want to check out a new sunsation , I'm calling Mahopac Marine and finding someone to work with!!!

Thanks J! I have your new one in stock :biggrinjester:

MahopacMarine
01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I would think a little disclaimer stating this is MSRP, please call for current discounted pricing (or something to that affect) would be the way to go.

I would try to put the MSRP next to the pricing and then have to put the rest of the disclaimer in the body of the ad.

I will give it a shot and see how the response is.

nortech4play
01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
But it has been proven over and over again in testing retail psychology that if an item is not priced... like 9 out of 10 people set it down and walk away.

I'm one of the 9 who will walk away and not even inquire about something that doesn't have a price on it...

I'd rather discuss prices with a seller that at least has something posted, it gives you a starting point to work from, even if its more than I'm willing to go...

Just like in all of the big boating magazines when it doesn't list a price or say "Call for Price" I just move on to the next.

Some people are shoppers and others are buyers, in my mind a buyer wants to know up front what somethings priced at, a shopper doesn't care because he's just looking around...

I don't have the time to chit chat with someone talking about something that's either so far out of my range or that I have no intention of buying...

There was a little old lady in our town who had a furniture store and she used ride her three wheeled cart up to you when you where looking at something and the first thing she would ask is are "you buying" or "looking"? If you said looking she would drive away if you said buying she would give you her best price even at the detriment to her salespeople.... BTW this just happens to be "Mrs B" from the Nebraska Furniture Mart...a fairly successful enterprise the a certain local guy Warren Buffet thought he should buy for his Berkshire Hathaway Holdings, ever here of it...

just my $.02

Strip Poker 388
01-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Ya thats the truth, they also want to know if you have a trade so they can jack the price to steal your boat and bang you atleast retail. All the while smileing and telling you theres is gold and yours is nothing but led and they really don't want it unless they can steal it. Put a price in the ad or don't advertise it.:seeya:

asking what ya had before,

On the opposite end a buyer says I got to sell mine first,I heard that before:(But ya never know

Offshoredrillin
01-07-2009, 09:03 AM
oh i see now, dealers should buy at retail and sell at wholesale? :rolleyes: don't you go to work every day to make money and as much as you can? taking trades is usually done as a convenience to help the potential buyer, that's why on brokerage boats you will see "no trades" someone said listing a MSRP after the price, that makes sense. But anyone that goes to buy a boat and looks as the seller as a thief from the get go is going to have a miserable experience and probably never be satisfied with the result. Make the best deal possible, it's not personal, it's business.

cosmic12
01-07-2009, 09:27 AM
oh i see now, dealers should buy at retail and sell at wholesale? :rolleyes: don't you go to work every day to make money and as much as you can? taking trades is usually done as a convenience to help the potential buyer, that's why on brokerage boats you will see "no trades" someone said listing a MSRP after the price, that makes sense. But anyone that goes to buy a boat and looks as the seller as a thief from the get go is going to have a miserable experience and probably never be satisfied with the result. Make the best deal possible, it's not personal, it's business.

I understand profit and its not a dirty word. I understand over head and costs ect ect. I have just had to many deals go bad over the value of a trade. And that is why I will never ever buy a new boat or buy one from a dealer. Working from retail on a trade is a must but offering only 5 to 10% off that retail for the trade is just robbery (deppending on what it is) actually this is a silly conversation because prices are so out whack and the boat bis is not the happest place to be anyway,I don't want to make anyone feel worse than they already do. I have just seen to many F'ed things happen and whats this got to with price's in adds? I just want to see a price and work from it at the get go, save's alot of B.S. on both parts.

Offshoredrillin
01-07-2009, 09:35 AM
I understand profit and its not a dirty word. I understand over head and costs ect ect. I have just had to many deals go bad over the value of a trade. And that is why I will never ever buy a new boat or buy one from a dealer. Working from retail on a trade is a must but offering only 5 to 10% off that retail for the trade is just robbery (deppending on what it is) actually this is a silly conversation because prices are so out whack and the boat bis is not the happest place to be anyway,I don't want to make anyone feel worse than they already do. I have just seen to many F'ed things happen and whats this got to with price's in adds? I just want to see a price and work from it at the get go, save's alot of B.S. on both parts.
I understand, but my point is, you know what you want/need for your trade. if they can make it that's fine, if not that's fine too. Not all business is good business. I tell potential customers at least 3 times a day that are price shopping me, "I would love to have your business, however the prices that we have discussed are what I need in order to make sure I continue to be able to offer the warranty and service that I do" Usually they will think about it and come back. When buying or selling anything keep emotion out of it until after the deal is done. when I bought the Tiger from Victor, by both him and I being up front and honest with dollars, I made a friend as well.

cosmic12
01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Well like I said a price at the start and work from it not a game from the dealer to get your info before the selling price is given. I know what maket value is on anything I have before I shop and what the price's on new or used are also, just don't try to play me as a fool and I will work with anyone.

Geronimo36
01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
When I was looking for boats I called people, regardless of price posted or not, made what I felt was a fair offer pending survey, sea trial, visual inspection etc. If we agreed, I then went to look at the boat and so on and so forth. If we couldn't come to terms I moved on.

You'd be surprised how many people sent me emails after the fact, who wanted to agree to my price. One guy said he'd take my price if I bought it before so-and-so date.. The kicker is I already had another deal in progress with another seller so I guess he was a day late and a dollar short. I'd fall in love with the deal first, then the boat, otherwise you'll wind up paying more! ;)

Davidmnc
01-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I understand, but my point is, you know what you want/need for your trade. if they can make it that's fine, if not that's fine too. Not all business is good business. I tell potential customers at least 3 times a day that are price shopping me, "I would love to have your business, however the prices that we have discussed are what I need in order to make sure I continue to be able to offer the warranty and service that I do" Usually they will think about it and come back. When buying or selling anything keep emotion out of it until after the deal is done. when I bought the Tiger from Victor, by both him and I being up front and honest with dollars, I made a friend as well.

That's the right way to do business as far as I am concerned. In the RV world there is a lot of mark up in new product (yea……I said it!). I have always been the guy who actually tells you what I will sell it for. That does not mean that is the end of negotiation, but we don't play the paper across the desk and go talk to a Manager game. I believe in an up front honest approach to sales. I think it keeps me from being "That SOB that sold me this thing". And more than likely to became there RV guy.

Why are we discussing this any way. The powers that be on SOS have set the rules. They are good rules based on experience and combined decision making. If you have a real problem posting a price for some thing you want to sell. There are many out lets that provide you that opportunity. Here at SOS.......We post adds with prices. It keeps us all honest and happy. Look at it this way! We do not have to worry about Stecz offering his sheep to Chris cheaper than he is offering them to you!

Phantom1
01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I really like how the classified adds here on Serious are required to have prices. I have been boat shopping and am surprised by how many of the large dealers post no price.

How many of you call on advertisements with no price? I do not bother as I expect an oppourtunist answer and the only time I did the price later changed. Whats your experience/opinion?

Thanks
Steve

So what are you looking to buy now?:)

Steve Miklos
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Want a mid 30's cat or Gladiator/top gun. Prefered boat is a 39 MTI or 36 Skater with small power (525's) and silent choice.
Steve

PARADOX
01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Hey Steve. You can get my Avanti for a great price. :)

But I agree with the pricing. Even if an MSRP to start with it gives a search parameter to the buyer.
Everything is negotiable. A starting price or range should/must be with the ad. No price = greed.
Specialy from dealers. (no disrespect to dealers on the board) but it comes down to how much the dealer/seller can get from a novice boat buyer with $.
Most experienced buyer/boater will have an idea about the boat price range.
If I don't see a price, the sellers wants to discuss and see how much he/she can get ABOVE the market price. I rather see a price even if it's higher (and/or best offer)or a "wishful" price then nothing. No price. see-yaa and I keep looking.

Clustergear
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I aways like to see price in an ad, if there is no price I may not even take a good look at the ad. A good example is I had no intention of buying a another boat. The Avanti I had was just prefect for the boating that I do. Boat is only used on Lake Geoge and we usally only go out for a few hours in the aftermoon, I have always wanted a Cafe Racer or a 33 Powerplay but really had no plans on buying one. Last Aug while wasting time on computer I saw an ad in classifies on OSO for a 33 Powerplay at a very low price, remember I wasn't looking for a boat I was happy with what I had. Made the call ( none of this e-mail BS) the boat was in my driveway four days latter. Also this boat wasn't close it was a long trip to pick it up..

C_Spray
01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Want a mid 30's cat or Gladiator/top gun. Prefered boat is a 39 MTI or 36 Skater with small power (525's) and silent choice.
SteveHah! First, you have to find someone willing to actually do business with the likes of you....:sifone:

(Happy New Year...)

Euro Scott
01-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey Steve, take a look at 33 Express
heres a little video from last sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djEYWwDD2Ho
make a good deal on her , has 540's

Knot 4 Me
01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I prefer to see prices, but if I am serious about buying and find something I like without a posted price I have no problem calling. My current boat was a leftover model from the prior year that was listed on iboats as "Internet Special, Call For Price". I was pleasantly surprised to hear the price when I called and bought the boat. I prefer to see pricing up front, but don't feel it is a waste of my time or below me to have to call on something I'm truly interested in.

Geronimo36
01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I prefer to see prices, but if I am serious about buying and find something I like without a posted price I have no problem calling.

Thats kind of how I feel about the situation as well.

Whenever I post something for sale I do my best to post a price unless its an item(s) that is hard to price and/or you really don't know what the market will bear. For instance, the engines I'm trying to help a friend sell... I was reluctant to post a price because I'd rather speak with people about it and come to some kind of agreement since we couldn't really set a price point. Everyone wants a price but we don't konw what the market will bear and everyone has their own price of what something is worth... You can see a used 525EFI with 200 hrs for $20K and a used 800hp blower motor that was rebuilt for less. It's a double edged sword on the internet and you never know how people are going to react because sometimes you post a price and everyone complains that it's too high even if you list "obo". In all honesty I think those are the tire kickers. I think if someone is truely interested in something they will at least attempt to make contact, even if it's only an email.

26 Spyder
01-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I like the prices listed, especially on parts since I am always shopping for deals. For example, if I see an external steering setup listed at $500 I would be all over it if I needed it or not, but the same setup listed at $2000 may be a good deal or not. I will keep searching.
When I sell boats on my site or the net I always list the price, I don't have time to answer all of the calls asking how much.
I do know if I see a price listed on a boat I know it is always negotiable!

Gordo
01-08-2009, 05:00 PM
It's nice to know I'm at least in the ballpark before I waste their time, or mine.

old377guy
01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I makes very little difference to me if an ad has a price. I have always looked for a particular boat and proceeded to investigate its equipment and condition;I will know in very short order if a seller is reasonable. - Jeff