PDA

View Full Version : any boats out there WITHOUT a Mercury product on them?

masher44
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
any?

stecz20
12-29-2008, 09:54 PM
my buddys skater has 0 merc on it... 32 skater arnesons, 650 hp... nice little package.... hes really not my buddy, hes joe d's 2nd daughter.....

Wrinkleface
12-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Seems like tests from alot of west coast stuff has Teague engines, his drives , Imco drives, Ilmors, etc!!!!!!????????

glassdave
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm think'in bout dump'in the Merc stuff on the back of my Scarab for a pair of Volvo DPX's. . . . . seriously . . . .

Audiofn
12-29-2008, 10:10 PM
If my Formula ever floats again it will be Konrad, BW, Dorres Engines

glassdave
12-29-2008, 10:17 PM
If my Formula ever floats again it will be Konrad, BW, Dorres Engines

dude . . . where you at? . . . i'm west of Naples by about 10 miles :D

Madpoodle
12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Yammies on one of mine, and if you start that eggbeaters don't count shiot I'll sick MM on ya... :boxing_smiley: :sifone: :biggrinjester: :rofl:

Chris
12-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Konrads going on the Cig and home-brew blower motors. I'm all for getting away from getting hammered at the Merc parts counter.

masher44
12-29-2008, 11:06 PM
what about the small parts? water pumps etc

Top Banana
12-29-2008, 11:11 PM
We are finding that Evinrude really makes a great product and they are much better with their two stroke as far as the enviornment is concerned.

I have been a Merc guy from way back.....I asked them why I should consider an Evinrude for my customers. They said, no break in, just run it for 3 years and then bring it back....so far so good.

They have a warranty claim percentage that is equal to the auto industry...now they are trying to get one equal to the electronic industry...they really know small engine technology.

PS They also own Lear Jet....so they know something abut speed too.

old377guy
12-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Charlie,
Here's comes the E-Tec-Yamaha-Optimax deal all over again BUT I will go for the E-Tec if that fateful day ever comes - Jeff

chewylewis
12-30-2008, 01:48 AM
step dad has the DCB 32 with #6's and teague 1110's. it was the on in powerboat mag that did in the 160's.

chewylewis
12-30-2008, 01:49 AM
sorry.....i've been drinking.....It's my fatehr in law and it's got 1100"s

shifter
12-30-2008, 02:37 AM
100% non merc:sifone:

pat W

Tank
12-30-2008, 03:50 AM
100% non merc:sifone:

pat W

Side bar:

Pat, is that one of the old Extreme race boats?

And on another side note...Our boat; all Merc...I even got 6 free quicksilver life jackets/vests as part of a class action lawsuit for Merc monopolising the market a few years back. anyone else get anything out of that?:sifone:

shifter
12-30-2008, 05:18 AM
We brought her back from the dead.

Tank, Thanks for sending me that roll of film soooo long ago, funny how people still think that pic is a fake.

Here is some more non merc stuff boats

pat W

Ryan Beckley
12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Predator has Merc tabs, and prop shaft covers...... I would bet that Taboo has a couple or Merc parts on her too.

Pat, correct me if I am wrong, but did Mother Mercury PAY YOU when they built there Dry Sump #6 AFTER you guys built the first ones?

Break'inWind
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Seems like tests from alot of west coast stuff has Teague engines, his drives , Imco drives, Ilmors, etc!!!!!!????????

Wasn't sure if that counted... I fall into that category. Ilmor w/a Teague Platinum Drive... But Teague starts w/an XR and then goes from there... that's why I figured it didn't count. :huh:

shifter
12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Ryan,

The tabs on Predator Have a big K on them for Kiekaffer. I have all the respect in the world for Karl. We do not offer propshaft covers.

I guess the valve covers and count on Taboo but the motors were built by Leon and dynoed at Innovation. On those pics I did not say 100%.

Merc never paid me when they built their wet-sump pumped drive. They paid us for one of our dry-sump conversions. I am sure they made that back after monopolising the club racing for the last 12 years.

Step away from the koolaid.

pat W

Ryan Beckley
12-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Pat
I am not a Kool Aid drinker believe it or not......but yes Mercury makes a lot of money off of performance boating, but they also do the most to support it. Evolution is a catch 22 in our sport. I think the world of your innovations and the ideas behind them, as well as the amount of work to actually see your projects through. I personally respect anyone that does there homework and gets it done no matter how big or small. I just don't understand how you continue to bash the bigger guys that are out there competing. Get your products on a new extreme class boat or more P1 stuff.......we all know it's good stuff but why aren't more people using it? Do you guys want your products to be more main stream production????

txriverrat2001
12-30-2008, 03:43 PM
The cruiser is all Volvo diesel and DP's.......

Rik
12-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Pat
I am not a Kool Aid drinker believe it or not......but yes Mercury makes a lot of money off of performance boating, but they also do the most to support it. Evolution is a catch 22 in our sport. I think the world of your innovations and the ideas behind them, as well as the amount of work to actually see your projects through. I personally respect anyone that does there homework and gets it done no matter how big or small. I just don't understand how you continue to bash the bigger guys that are out there competing. Get your products on a new extreme class boat or more P1 stuff.......we all know it's good stuff but why aren't more people using it? Do you guys want your products to be more main stream production????

Ryan, please don't be misled and state that Merc is there to support the racers for FREE.

They charge for every part that they sell at the races, it is not a charity case for them, rather it is a profit center.

If everyone was allowed in the races there would be more support from others as well.

Pro1
12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Rik you have a copy of that video if the customer with 1000s in that 38 with Asd 7s? Stecz wants it and I cant find it.

Tank
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Tank, Thanks for sending me that roll of film soooo long ago, funny how people still think that pic is a fake.

pat W

Pat, that was a looooooong time ago!

I saw the other Extreme that is owned by a guy somewhere in the OC, in Havasu last year. Neat looking boat but not as nice looking as yours.

AWESOME pic of it running at sunset in this months powerboat mag at the trials too!

Ryan Beckley
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Rik / Pat
I respect everyone at the races and every company that helps to make racing better. Companies like your that innovate are awesome and do a lot to advance our sport. I am no fool (really) I know Mercury is the to make money, but they are also there to make sure everyone there is out racing not tied to the dock broke down. I too am envious of othe graphics companies that are larger than me or get more notice for what the do, but you won't here me tearing them down. EFX and I actually work together on projects. Arneson and Weismann have been around along time. Most everyone knows the parts are out there. A lot of teams choose Mercury because they are there to support it and have the ability to back there products up. You and Pat should put more effort into racing if that what you would like. Get a support trailer together, help sponsors some races & teams, send some technicians to the races and get your stuff back out there......what can you guys do for outboards?

shifter
01-01-2009, 02:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8E4Qe4W1Y Here is just one of our outboard projects. Another non merc boat. :26:

Happy new year!

pat W

catmando
01-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I bet if more people had Weismann products on their boats Pat would rig up a support trailer, and with the new P1 rules in OSS he and Rik might need to do that soon. Maybe they could do it together in one rig to cut costs.

shifter
01-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Tank, Thanks for the heads up on the photo, You are right it is a hot shot.:sifone:

I met the guys (white Ettore) at Salton Sea and he will be coming to play in P1 this season with AVR, Second Chance, Eliminator, and platinum that I know of so far. Should be fun. Bring a cig.

pat W

C_Spray
01-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm think'in bout dump'in the Merc stuff on the back of my Scarab for a pair of Volvo DPX's. . . . . seriously . . . .
Like this? 100% non-Merc, and 100% happy.

By the way, I sold the extra set I had in the garage. (Sorry!)

glassdave
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM

no prob, I have one complete instalation, working on the second. been keeping an eye on ebay and am going with the second style cases. Thanks again

Rik
01-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Imagine how much sexier that Formula could look :drool5:

C_Spray
01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Imagine how much sexier that Formula could look :drool5:...You mean with silver trim tabs? :sifone:

Nice rig. Big power, right? Where the he!! are the tailpipes on that thing, anyway?

The problem is that we do lots of raftup/wading get-togethers, using the swim platform as a bar and I don't carry an extensive suture set onboard!

OneBadInjun
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
If my Formula ever floats again it will be Konrad, BW, Dorres EnginesThe Konrads bolt up to the original TRS transom plates, correct? Does Konrad offer their own transom plate yet?

OneBadInjun
01-07-2009, 02:54 PM
We are finding that Evinrude really makes a great product and they are much better with their two stroke as far as the enviornment is concerned.

I have been a Merc guy from way back.....I asked them why I should consider an Evinrude for my customers. They said, no break in, just run it for 3 years and then bring it back....so far so good.

They have a warranty claim percentage that is equal to the auto industry...now they are trying to get one equal to the electronic industry...they really know small engine technology.

What Evinrude Dealer are you getting your outboards through?

Rik
01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
...You mean with silver trim tabs? :sifone:

Nice rig. Big power, right? Where the he!! are the tailpipes on that thing, anyway?

The problem is that we do lots of raftup/wading get-togethers, using the swim platform as a bar and I don't carry an extensive suture set onboard!

I have propeller guards and they give way more protection than even your Volvo's. Not to mention the speed increase.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Charlie,
Here's comes the E-Tec-Yamaha-Optimax deal all over again BUT I will go for the E-Tec if that fateful day ever comes - Jeff

I am a long time Merc guy. The Yamies and E tecs are nice enough in a standard application. I am curious how well the will they stand up in a raised and surfacing situation. Things like gear cases and swivel shafts and engine mounts.

C_Spray
01-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I have propeller guards and they give way more protection than even your Volvo's. Not to mention the speed increase.
I'll grant you the speed increase, no problem. I'm more concerned about hitting my shins on the BACK of the props, not falling on top of them.... :ack2: Anyway - Love the DPX drives: Great control, and have held up to my 600 hp very well for eight seasons.

Love your stuff - Keep up the good work.

Biggus
01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
The Konrads bolt up to the original TRS transom plates, correct? Does Konrad offer their own transom plate yet?

Yes, we've always had our own transom assemblies.

Here's a shot of mine, the only Merc parts are the trans tailstocks and trim indicator panel :sifone: ....oh and Thunderbolt IV ignition

Anchored
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
No Merc here!

Jeff

Anchored
01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
dude . . . where you at? . . . i'm west of Naples by about 10 miles :D

That would put you right in the middle of the gulf:rofl:

Jeff

Sea-Dated
01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
That would put you right in the middle of the gulf:rofl:

Jeff

Not quite the middle of the gulf but definitely wet.....:biggrinjester:

Rik
01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I'll grant you the speed increase, no problem. I'm more concerned about hitting my shins on the BACK of the props, not falling on top of them.... :ack2: Anyway - Love the DPX drives: Great control, and have held up to my 600 hp very well for eight seasons.

Love your stuff - Keep up the good work.

Hey, I don't make propellers, but the ones we use are the exact same ones that are used on the Merc's so please don't single me out alone. Even Bravo propellers hurt if you kick them.:sifone:

C_Spray
01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey, I don't make propellers, but the ones we use are the exact same ones that are used on the Merc's so please don't single me out alone. Even Bravo propellers hurt if you kick them.:sifone: I was referring to the setback issue as one walks up the the bar, - err.....swim platform.

Rik
01-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I was referring to the setback issue as one walks up the the bar, - err.....swim platform.

I'm only 4" longer than a Bravo with the same setup. That's not going to make any difference I don't believe.

Lucididee
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
my buddys skater has 0 merc on it... 32 skater arnesons, 650 hp... nice little package.... hes really not my buddy, hes joe d's 2nd daughter.....

That's funny. How is the little Mary doing these days? How many non-towing hrs has he racked up on the boat so far?

I'm kinda figuring the ratio of towing hrs 2 running hrs is much greater.

CarBiz
01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm only 4" longer than a Bravo with the same setup. That's not going to make any difference I don't believe.

Nope no Merc here either. Well the trim tabs and the controls, The trim pumps have a KAAMA sticker over the merc ones The props are even stamped KME.

Rik- I am assuming with the extension box your are 4 inches longer. What does that make the total inches to be?

boostbros
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Driving a boat with Arnson asd8s to use as a bar at a sand bar is a lot like driving a nitro funny car to supermarket and complaining about trunk space! although i,d love to help ashley find a way to stash a few shopping bags in her grociery getter!

Rik
01-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Driving a boat with Arnson asd8s to use as a bar at a sand bar is a lot like driving a nitro funny car to supermarket and complaining about trunk space! although i,d love to help ashley find a way to stash a few shopping bags in her grociery getter!

On a stagger, things are very close.:drool5:

But on a side by side, the propeller guards and such make things a lot more friendlier.

Jigsaw89
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Those Hustler transom's look GREAT!

Rik
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Which one?

Sea-Dated
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Which one?

Both.....

Davidmnc
01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Those Hustler transom's look GREAT!

Yea they do!

boostbros
01-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Rik we painted the drives all red on blackcloud those things are still impressive hanging back there! i have a few vids did you ever see them?

Rik
01-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Here's another boat with no Merc.:)

Rik
01-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Rik we painted the drives all red on blackcloud those things are still impressive hanging back there! i have a few vids did you ever see them?

Nope, post up here along with any photos.

boostbros
01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb62/Boostbros/?action=view&current=blackcloudaccellfrom100.flv heres the old fire breathing dragon accellerating from 100..... the old girl still rocks here is one taking off from under the thousand islands bridge this is in the june poker run http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb62/Boostbros/?action=view&current=Untitled_0005.flv

Geronimo36
01-09-2009, 08:48 PM
I've had BMax's on my boat for a while now. I run the Ocean primarily. 830 hp/tq. Overall I'm happy. Had a failure at 150 hrs but that was 130 more hours than I got out of IMCO's. :)

OneBadInjun
01-16-2009, 08:58 PM
What Evinrude Dealer are you getting your outboards through?Nevermind, I got my answer.

shifter
01-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Here is another one.

pat W

chewylewis
01-18-2009, 12:41 AM
That's Al's boat....did they get all kinks worked out???? What HP did the motors end up at??? Probably going to be the fastest non turbine pleasure Skater EVER.

catmando
01-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Twin turbo gas motors? Who built them and what hp/tq?

shifter
01-18-2009, 02:13 AM
low boost setting 6lbs 1800hp 2300 lb/ft. high boost 25 lbs. 2600hp 8000rpm Kenny Dutweiller specials.

pat W:26:

shifter
01-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Tested yesterday, waaaaay tooooo much water pressure. Wound the guage around @100 plus in first.

The boat is extremely fast.

pat W:drool5:

Coolerman
01-18-2009, 03:45 AM
Here is another one.

pat W

is this al's previous boat?

Also, if you don't mind me asking a few questions about those turbo motors... What cid are they? What are you running for intake temps? Must be a huge intercooler.

Rik
01-24-2009, 06:40 PM
is this al's previous boat?

Also, if you don't mind me asking a few questions about those turbo motors... What cid are they? What are you running for intake temps? Must be a huge intercooler.

It has a set of 572's with twin turbos. That pic is Al's former boat which is now "Cat in the Act" in NJ that Pro Roc had painted and such.

Al has a fairly larger intercooler and the turbo's are water cooled.:sifone:

Rik
01-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is a Skater 399'

Rik
01-24-2009, 07:02 PM
368 Skater

Rik
01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
A 38' - 43' Doug Wright

Rik
02-19-2009, 09:39 PM
40' Skater

TUFFboat
02-19-2009, 10:36 PM
different direction. 92mph

Rik
02-24-2009, 02:56 AM
38' Top Gun TS

02-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Rik,

Is the reason the notch did not need to filled in because they were side by side instead of staggered putting the prop inline with the bottom?

TUFFboat
02-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I know this is going to sound weird, but, that kind of looked like ice.

Rik
02-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I know this is going to sound weird, but, that kind of looked like ice.

Yep, it's ice. They are not fair weather sailors:rofl:

Rik
02-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Rik,

Is the reason the notch did not need to filled in because they were side by side instead of staggered putting the prop inline with the bottom?

Yes. Here's a 2008' 38' Donzi ZRC with the Arnesons. It is a stagger with our Sterling 900 package.

tommymonza
02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
What is this drive ?

Rik
02-24-2009, 05:51 PM
What is this drive ?

See Post # 16 of this thread.

Weismann Duo Prop

Team Tsunami
02-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes. Here's a 2008' 38' Donzi ZRC with the Arnesons. It is a stagger with our Sterling 900 package.

Rik, any idea of how this boat runs? It looks awesome in person. No one at Donzi knew how it ran since they didnt rig it.

Rik
02-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Rik, any idea of how this boat runs? It looks awesome in person. No one at Donzi knew how it ran since they didnt rig it.

It runs and handles awesome according to Merola and Rosen. (Owner) Gets on plane really quick, very stable. Merola says you can go from 0-128 and never to touch the wheel and in the blink of an eye at that.

They have changed the blowers to the new 5.0L Whipple and the software so we'll see what see what they reach for top speed. Merola wants 140's.

Here's another 38 Donzi with a stagger that is racing this year in P1

Team Tsunami
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks Rik. I know the 1075 boat ran decent into the 130's that went to Bulgaria. Not sure if they ever really dialed that one in. Do you know if that is the new comp bottom running in P1 this year? Also assuming it has your drives on it. I know you had another 38 over there with pro chargers but that was an early side by side boat.

Rik
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
That boat does not have the newest gen bottom. It is the boat that "had" prochargers on it.

It was so un reliable with those that I got him some Sterling 800's and the boat ran 118 on the limiters on a side by side (should have been a stagger for those speeds) installation and never had any problems again.

They de rigged it, sent it to Belgium and configured it as a stagger set and changed the engines to a set of 580 hp (Cosworth Dyno) and they are set to race in P1. It only has to do 85 MAX. It accelerates really well and turns extremely well and that counts the most in that series.

They ran it Jan 27th of this year on the first day there was no ice.

chewylewis
02-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Any update on Al's (Out of Control)?

Rik
02-26-2009, 02:13 AM
It's back at Skater getting the paint touched up.

Audiofn
02-26-2009, 08:41 AM
The Konrads bolt up to the original TRS transom plates, correct? Does Konrad offer their own transom plate yet?

Sorry for the delay in responding to this, maybe some one else did. Yes they will bolt up to the TRS bell housing but they also have transom assembly that is more rebust then the TRS unit.

Jon

Sabercatt
02-27-2009, 02:45 PM
other than the tabs, all volvo.

40FlatDeck
02-27-2009, 03:17 PM
It's back at Skater getting the paint touched up.

Among other things.......:sifone:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I've got no power on mine....yet. :(

Shanghied Again
03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
We have a 44 MTI Speed Racer Potter Performance BPM Drives
2003 Cigarette 38 Top Gun Potter Performance 777s
1992 Cigarette 38 Top Gun Potter Performance 777s
2003 Donzi 38ZRC Tom A boat Potter Performance 750s
2006 Superboat 30 Gary C 800hp Potter Performance

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Wholly smokes Frank !!!

That's a lot of Pot ..... ter!!! :sifone:

03-01-2009, 04:48 PM
38' Top Gun TS

Rik,

Who made the lower water pick ups? I assume the smaller units next outside the notch are for an intercooler?

Shanghied Again
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Wholly smokes Frank !!!

That's a lot of Pot ..... ter!!! :sifone:
Tim the way I look at it is the man builds one of the best engines around, stands behind his product and give you the big HP on pump gas, so far everyone likes his engines and back when he was with Nor-Tech built some great power.

DKwestern
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
what speed does the 2003 gun run with the 777's?

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Tim the way I look at it is the man builds one of the best engines around, stands behind his product and give you the big HP on pump gas, so far everyone likes his engines and back when he was with Nor-Tech built some great power.

Can't ask for much more than that !

Rik
03-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Rik,

Who made the lower water pick ups? I assume the smaller units next outside the notch are for an intercooler?

I got them from CP/Hardin, they are the same ones that Cigarette uses on the new boats.

The outside ones are the adjustable ones that CP/Hardin have. I don't really think they needed them as the center pickups should be able to supply the engines and intercoolers needs. But..

03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks Rik,

I am on borrowed time. I was waiting for the X-drive to complete testing but it costs as much as a #6 damn near. It just isn't making sense for me.

I need to start planning for my 09/10 winter project. This Top Gun is essentially my rig without the side by side. I think the X-dimensions are close too.

Please keep us posted on their progress or invite them to post it here on S.O. themselves.