PDA

View Full Version : Gasparilla Boat Chase --- Dumb azzzes

Wardey
12-23-2008, 10:16 AM
TAMPA - A Lutz man who led authorities on a high-speed boat chase in January is scheduled to plead guilty this morning to federal charges of ramming a Coast Guard chase boat.

Mark Koert, 27, is scheduled to enter his plea before U.S. District Magistrate Thomas B. McCoun III. He signed a plea agreement with prosecutors last month.

Koert is accused of stealing a 28-foot Maxum powerboat from a Harbour Island dock Jan. 26 as Gasparilla festivities were winding down. Authorities noticed the boat running at a high speed without lights in Tampa Bay.

A Coast Guard boat was patrolling near Davis Islands when the crew heard a call for assistance. The boat intercepted the vessel, according to the plea agreement. The crew pulled aside and ordered the pilot to pull over. but Koert ignored the order.

Instead, Koert admits to sharply turning toward the chase boat and trying to ram it.

The Coast Guardsmen fired two shotgun rounds into the Maxum's engine area. Koert responded by ramming his pursuers, putting his boat into the chase boat, landing on its port bow.

The guardsmen fired more rounds, but Koert, according to the plea agreement, was able to reverse his direction and break the two boats apart. He eventually ran aground in shallow water near the Platt Street Bridge.

Koert is to plead guilty to charges of forcibly assaulting federal officers with a deadly weapon, criminal damage to government property and failure to obey an order to heave to. The charges carry a maximum sentence of 35 years if sentenced consecutively.

In exchange of waiving being indicted by a grand jury and pleading guilty, prosecutors have agreed to recommend Koert receive a sentence at the lower end of the federal sentencing guidelines.

cigdaze
12-23-2008, 10:22 AM
What an idiot. :mad:

Sea-Dated
12-23-2008, 10:22 AM
What a dumbass. :smash:

I am sure alchohol was involved.

I wonder if he was wearing his lanyard. :rofl:

Davidmnc
12-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Idiot!

Trim'd Up
12-23-2008, 10:32 AM
He should have swiped a faster boat.:rofl:

TEAMBAJA
12-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I wonder what they consider "high speed" in a 28' Maxum?

MOSCARAB
12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
That's the first thing I thought - Good thing he wasn't driving a faster boat.

I was down for Gasparilla last year but I didn't hear anything about this. Knowing how this little celebration goes for me every time I have made it.... I would about guarantee alcohol was involved. :ack2:

cigdaze
12-23-2008, 12:40 PM
That's the first thing I thought - Good thing he wasn't driving a faster boat.

I was down for Gasparilla last year but I didn't hear anything about this. Knowing how this little celebration goes for me every time I have made it.... I would about guarantee alcohol was involved. :ack2:
That's a given. It's madness. I usually try to have no part in it, avoiding it like a plague. :eek:

phragle
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
imagine if he had rammed the coasties with a fountain... that beak could have done some major damage.....

HaxbySpeed
12-23-2008, 01:03 PM
At least the Maxum offered some protection from the shot gun blasts. You could probably sink a fountain with a pea shooter! :26:

03darkshadow
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
imagine if he had rammed the coasties with a fountain... that beak could have done some major damage.....

you could poke an eye out with that thing

MANITIE
12-23-2008, 01:46 PM
When I heard of this a while back when I was talking to some folks from DC...I was suprised they did not shoot him with when he turned into there boat...its an assult with a deadly weapon...what ever he gets..its wont be enough....

C_Spray
12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I wonder what they consider "high speed" in a 28' Maxum?Probably about 40 mph. You'd think that he would at least steal something that was actually WORTH stealing. Of course, azzhats like this are not generally know for excessive intelligence.... :biggrinjester:

Mark
12-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Moron. I would have shot him dead on the second ramming.

Bobcat
12-23-2008, 11:02 PM

liberal:)

YoungPerformance
12-24-2008, 01:34 AM

I couldn't agree more. Just think how much money we would have saved without this whole legal process and then putting him up in jail.

phragle
12-24-2008, 02:04 AM
if the coasties cant stop a 28 foot boat with a 50 cal, we are in big trouble.

cuda
12-24-2008, 04:03 AM
I never went to Gaspo. It's always too damn cold and windy. Especially when you are crossing that big azz bay! :ack2:

Ratickle
12-24-2008, 06:49 AM

liberal:)

Naw, a liberal would have given him money and blamed his parents for the entire ordeal.

Fever Mike
12-24-2008, 11:53 AM
That's a given. It's madness. I usually try to have no part in it, avoiding it like a plague. :eek:

+1...I've never been and do not have any desire to attend.

TEAMBAJA
12-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Nice, whats going on in those pictures? Were they giving out free beer or something?

cuda
12-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Nice, whats going on in those pictures? Were they giving out free beer or something?

I wouldn't go if they had free puzzy and beer. Nothing but boozers, losers, and heavy drug users.

dykstra
01-06-2009, 11:52 PM
moron

Tommy Gun
01-07-2009, 12:00 AM
When you have a large number of people in limited space and alcohol is involved there are bound to be isolated incidents.

MattBMiller
01-07-2009, 08:52 AM
What an idiot! I was down there at that time last year. Left on a cruise out of Tampa.

cigdaze
01-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Beer, Beads, and boobies...that's the typical fanfare at Gasparilla.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good time if you're on someone else's boat, but no way in hell am I bringing my rig into that madness. :sifone: :26:

Prostock85
01-07-2009, 10:02 AM
What is the deal with this whole gasparilla thing? My sister lives in Tampa and was telling my g/f and I to go down. No boat or anything? Is it worth it.. so far it doesn't seem too enjoyable.

cigdaze
01-07-2009, 10:08 AM
It's a huge parade...kind of like a mini Mardi Gras...lots of drunken debauchery.
www.gasparillapiratefest.com

Chris
01-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Their website says "alcohol-free"

They don't mention any boat parade- is that an unofficial event?

cigdaze
01-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Alcohol-free, my ass!...Ya, good luck with that one. :D
Ya, the boat parade just sort of happens, unofficially. See my pics in post #8...literally, thousands show up, it's mayhem. :eek:

APACHE727
01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Beer, Beads, and boobies...that's the typical fanfare at Gasparilla.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good time if you're on someone else's boat, but no way in hell am I bringing my rig into that madness. :sifone: :26:

Absolutely! I took my apache last year and I will NEVER take any boat I own again! Everyone is wasted and nearly no one can drive. There was a lot of sillystring, cigarettes and spilled beer across my boat. LOTS of girls though! If I go again it would be on a buddy's big center console