PDA

View Full Version : What the president of NBRG thinks would benefit the future of offshore racing.....

phragle
12-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Imagine if Carbonell hangs up SBI....

SOTW has had recent articles about OPA and P1 working together, OPA and RWO have looked like they want to play together...

So with SBI out of the picture and if, OPA, P1 and RWO join forces and work together, All 3 at each race sight, OPA handles P classes and SVL, RWO runs SS, supercat and unlimited, while P! does their thing. Big turnout for the race sight, and non stop action all weekend,

More competition for the racers, more show for the spectators, more exposure for the sponsors............

Ratickle
12-06-2018, 01:00 AM
SVL and SVL-X should also both be handled by RWO in that scenario.

OPA, GPS Classes
RWO, Spec Classes
P1, Their current P1 boats and the Skis

There are some major race-site issues if they all join together though.

phragle
12-06-2018, 01:32 AM
SVL and SVL-X should also both be handled by RWO in that scenario.

OPA, GPS Classes
RWO, Spec Classes
P1, Their current P1 boats and the Skis

There are some major race-site issues if they all join together though.

Nope, you pick the best of the best sights and make a series. Stop spreading the sport so thin, get the boat count and competition up at selected sights.

Pete B
12-06-2018, 07:29 AM
what are the issues?? the water is too Flat??

Ratickle
12-07-2018, 12:41 AM
Nope, too many classes for an event.

phragle
12-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Nope, too many classes for an event.

Have you been to a race in the last few years?? There are 3 classes in a race with 6 boats going around a glorified milling circle... after the first lap the spectators are sitting there on the beach, " hey there goes a boat, hand me a sandwhich, hey look, here comes another one...got time to go to the bathroom before the next boat comes by......"

Its rather anti-exciting....

If you put 6 classes in one heat, you have what, 10 boats on the course at once??

Pete B
12-07-2018, 03:19 PM
when the teams roll into town on thursday, friday inspections and testing on the course, saturday morning testing and qualifying, saturday afternoon P-class races. sunday canopied boats. action packed weekend. it needs to move beyond the hobby.

Ratickle
12-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Okay, we'll use your scenario, assuming they all join forces and SBI is gone.

P1 - 7 boats
Class 1 - 1 boat
Class 2 - 2 boats
Class 3 - 2 boats
Class 4 - 4 boats
Class 5 - 6 boats
Class 6 - 6 boats
Class 7 - 7 boats
SVL - 8 boats
SVLX - 9 boats
Super Stock - 9 boats
Super Cat - 7 boats
Extreme 1100 Cat - 5 boats
Extreme Vee - 2 boats

And that's with no Aqua X or Aqua Bike, 8 classes - 70 skies. Don't know where you'd work those in.

I didn't say too many boats. I said too many classes. They would need to eliminate or combine some classes.

Ratickle
12-11-2018, 12:53 AM
14 Classes, plus the skis? It would be a lot like the LOTO Shootout. You build it, we'll find a class for it.

john acosta
12-12-2018, 11:15 AM
all svl whatevers in one class first race on sunday

all supercat in second race on sunday.
(eliminate unlimited boring brokemotor racing and put in 750 class except the yacht size hulls that belong in a poker run ego setup anyway )

leave p- class for Saturday with the outboards

Ratickle
12-14-2018, 01:41 AM
Only 2 classes on Sunday?

phragle
12-14-2018, 10:12 AM
But then everybody cant go home with a 1st place trophy.........

john acosta
12-14-2018, 03:07 PM
two classes yes .then you fill up the two classes with boats that fit into those two classes.

when you have a 15 boat field again then you do heats.

I don't mean to come off as p class or outboard hater ,I like them they are necessary,just not on real race day.

ive been around offshore for decades. late 70,s were great,
1999 -2002 even better .

oss time period was awfull.it cost all of us everything invested up to that point.
there have been a lot of company names .

the best I saw was apba affiliated.

but really ,10 or 12 classes is a hobby sport.

force only two classes maybe three ,superstock.
and eventually they will fill up.

we cant cant get any worse.sbi run by secretarys.

OPA I hoped was an option till mercman set me straight.you should not be a racer if you are indeed an officer of said organization.

Larry is a joke.

miklos once said OFFSHORE had to burn to the ground and start 100% new .
I now agree.

Ratickle
12-15-2018, 01:19 PM
I think you have to consider Stock Cat Outboard a "real" class. It has great competition between similar boats and real competitors, and is growing again also. Hopefully they get the 250 lbs. added to the minimum weight, as that is how much more the pair of 300's weigh than the 2.5's. Then the older boats will no longer be obsolete when compared to the new featherweight DW's.

Totally unfair to change the engines, add the weight, but not make the increase weight change to the rules.

john acosta
12-15-2018, 07:14 PM
I think you have to consider Stock Cat Outboard a "real" class. .

I agree lol

im a bit of a snob when it comes to stock class,s

Ratickle
12-16-2018, 10:30 PM
And by APBA rule;

3. No member of any Race Committee nor the Referee shall take part in the decision of any question in which he is directly interested.

4. No person shall act as a member of the Race Committee or act as a Referee during a heat in which he competes or owns an interest in a competing boat.

Ratickle
12-18-2018, 12:46 AM
But then everybody cant go home with a 1st place trophy.........

Good point.

Maybe we can use the rules from the LOTO shootout for classes?

Ratickle
12-19-2018, 12:29 AM
The biggest deal is if they can standardize the rules, and when changes to the rules happen make sure it does not obsolete boats.

phragle
12-19-2018, 08:45 PM

Ratickle
12-23-2018, 10:09 PM
Not sure it's come together.

Ratickle
12-25-2018, 12:41 AM
But the announcements and rumors are certainly entertaining.

phragle
12-26-2018, 06:55 PM
It is winter afterall......

Ratickle
12-28-2018, 01:13 AM
Not in Australia or New Zealand!!

And that's where Pro Floors hails from.

phragle
12-29-2018, 12:31 AM
Not in Australia or New Zealand!!

And that's where Pro Floors hails from.

And the toilet flushes backwards down there....... Can the Kiwi's up the pit display ante" ?? We know the Kiwi's and Aussie"s can put up a pretty good pun crawl challenge...

Ratickle
12-30-2018, 12:58 AM
Well, SBI has a countdown to Key West on their website.

RWO says they are not going away and will have Key West as their event.

The soap opera continues, "As the Offshore Raceworld Turns".

phragle
12-30-2018, 03:31 AM
N.B.R.G. is proud to announce the official pace boat of 2019, the one and only Schwartzcraft.

Ratickle
12-31-2018, 12:56 AM
N.B.R.G. is proud to announce the official pace boat of 2019, the one and only Schwartzcraft.

Swartzcraft History Link Schwartzcraft (http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8399)

john acosta
12-31-2018, 09:52 AM
may the " shwartz " be with you.

john acosta
12-31-2018, 09:57 AM
Well, SBI has a countdown to Key West on their website.

RWO says they are not going away and will have Key West as their event.

The soap opera continues, "As the Offshore Raceworld Turns".

key west is the only site the secretarys want,
all the others were break even at best.

more than likely just out of good ole boy respect they'll get one more year added to the contract for keywest.
but who knows ?

just race safe and don't run over each other

Ratickle
01-04-2019, 10:26 AM
There are certainly rumors in Key West, from some on the decision making team, that is what the result will be.

I know John is saying it will be an SBI event.