PDA

View Full Version : how to clean out computer to return

open72
12-20-2008, 12:14 PM
i am returning a laptop , keeps locking up everytime fan comes on , have to reboot , ie not responding , etc...

what can i do to clear out everything ?

besides deleting ,clearing out cookies, files, etc.

is there some kind of self destruct mode or something??

thanks ,

eric

Audiofn
12-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Reload the operating system is the best thing. Even then some one can get out sensitive info if they want to.

Deleting files does NOTHING. With a free download you can get a program to recover all deleted info.

If you have something sensitive then overwrite the file with the same name. In other words if you have a file called Opens72's boat expenses and you do not want to have your wife know how much you really spent then you need to overwrite that with a file also called Opens72's boat expenses and just put random stuff in there. Even with that you can get the info back but it takes a LOT more effort.

Hope that helps

Jon

Chris
12-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Format the hard drive. That wipes everything off.

Step1Boot up PC with windows XP installation CD in CD-ROM Drive
Step2Press any key when you see message that says "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT OFF CD"
Step3If computer boots to CD correctly, you will see a BLUE screen which loads XP drivers.
Step4Once drivers install, hit Enter or F8 to enter windows XP installation.
Step5Hit 'D' to remove any current partitions you might have. Confirm with 'L' key.
Step6Now hit 'C' to create new partition at which point it will ask you to format

Wobble
12-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Format the hard drive. That wipes everything off.

Step1Boot up PC with windows XP installation CD in CD-ROM Drive
Step2Press any key when you see message that says "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT OFF CD"
Step3If computer boots to CD correctly, you will see a BLUE screen which loads XP drivers.
Step4Once drivers install, hit Enter or F8 to enter windows XP installation.
Step5Hit 'D' to remove any current partitions you might have. Confirm with 'L' key.
Step6Now hit 'C' to create new partition at which point it will ask you to format

You can recover data from a formated and repartitioned drive if the need is great enough. I have seen it done. Not likely to happen in most cases. Like wise there is software to permanently make it extremly difficult to recover scrambled info.

Your best bet, if the info is critical, is to remove the drive and replace it with a new one.

open72
12-20-2008, 04:04 PM
chris , it's windows vista

phragle
12-20-2008, 04:40 PM
delete everything but the os download a proggie that will rewrite the entire disk, takes awhile, run that twice.

MacGyver
12-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Use this free program http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/shred.htm

rjcardinal
12-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Norton's used to have a tool called a shredder. It would delete the files then overwrite them in 1's and zero's. It had different settings but the strongest one was labled "government shredding".

Search for a shredder.

Ron

open72
12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
thanks to all ,strip got me hooked up with a IT tech that walked me through.

thanks again to all..

eric

Sea-Dated
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Your best bet, if the info is critical, is to remove the drive and replace it with a new one.

This is the best bet. This is what we did at the hospital when we sold all out old PC's at auction.

After you swap the drives, take apart the old hard drive and destroy the disks inside it.

MacGyver
12-22-2008, 09:10 PM
If you take apart the drives to destroy the disks, save the magnets inside. They are small and really, really strong.

Wardey
12-22-2008, 09:33 PM
You can also use this : http://www.evidence-eliminator.com/ Dave

Fever Mike
12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
You can also use this : http://www.evidence-eliminator.com/ Dave

can you be sure these type of programs really work? If you or I can not see this stuff on a hard drive how can I tell this program or any program works?

rjcardinal
12-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Ive often thought of getting a strong magnet and placing it on the hard drive while its running. This should realy wipe it clean. If the pc crashes immediatly you will know you were sucessful. Maybe a strong electromagnet. Remember those old degauser coils the TV repairman used to have? Looked like a round ring that you would hold up to the screen and it zapped the screen with a strong magnetic field? That should work.

Ron