PDA

View Full Version : Oil Below $40, first time since '04, depsite OPEC CUT!

cigdaze
12-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Good news, hidden amongst all the other bad news. OPEC's been posturing an awful lot in the last few weeks, threatening cuts, and other measures. Well, this week they announced the largest one-time cut ever, and even despite that, oil is falling. Thanks goodness. Will it last????

Oil tumbles below $40 for first time since 2004
Dec 17 04:31 PM US/Eastern
By CHRIS KAHN
AP Energy Writer
Write a Comment
Oil prices tumbled below $40 for the first time since the summer of 2004 Wednesday despite an announcement from OPEC of a record production cut of 2.2 million barrels a day.

Markets had already priced in a vastly reduced flow of oil and traders focused instead on troubling economic data that points to a long and severe recession.

Light, sweet crude for January delivery tumbled 8 percent, or $3.54, to settle at $40.06 on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Benchmark crude prices fell as low as $39.88, a price last seen in July 2004.

"There's just so much oil in inventory out there right now," said Michael Lynch, president of Strategic Energy & Economic Research. "Nobody wants to buy this stuff."

Crude prices have fallen so low, producers have leased supertankers to store the oil at sea, hoping that oil will rebound.

U.S. gasoline inventories continued to rise, the government reported, providing further evidence of a major pullback by American motorists.

Demand for gasoline over the four weeks ended Dec. 12 was 2.7 percent lower than a year earlier.

OPEC had already announced cuts totaling 2 million barrels earlier this year, also with little effect. The unprecedented production cuts and the market reaction show just how fast energy demand has fallen during the worst economic downturn in at least a generation.

"You've got a commodity that people are buying less of because they can't afford to buy more," said Phil Flynn, an analyst at Alaron Trading Corp. "People are fearful. They have a lack of confidence in the economy. They're closing their factories."

Grim economic news radiates out of the U.S., Europe and Asia almost daily as consumers and industries pull back on spending.

The Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. said Wednesday it will cut 1,300 jobs and close a plant in Georgia.

Newell Rubbermaid Inc. is reducing its salaried work force by as much as 10 percent. The Atlanta-based company slashed its fourth-quarter and full-year profit guidance Wednesday.

In Detroit, General Motors Corp. put the brakes on construction of an engine factory trying to hold on to the cash that it has left.

Meanwhile, the dollar suffered its biggest one-day decline against the euro after the Federal Reserve cut a key lending rate target to historic lows.

That would typically lead more investors into the crude market because oil is bought and sold in dollars and you can get more bang for the buck.

But investors in this harsh economic climate are holding onto their wallets like never before, betting there's not enough global demand to support higher crude prices, said Gene McGillian, an analyst at Tradition Energy.

"Oil prices should be a lot stronger," McGillian said.

The last time oil prices dipped below $40 a barrel was July 21, 2004. Prices settled that day at $40.09, according to Peter Beutel, an oil analyst at Cameron Hanover.

Many analysts believe oil prices will continue falling next year with agencies ranging from the U.S. Department of Energy to the International Energy Agency forecasting weak demand.

IHS Global Insight Chief Economist Nariman Behravesh was among the industry experts forecasting lower prices for oil.

"Oil prices will (easily) fall below $40 per barrel in the next year, and could tumble all the way to $30," Behravesh said in a research note. "With the economic outlook deteriorating by the day, futures markets for commodities have not priced in the full extent of the 'demand destruction' taking place."

Doubts also remain about the willingness of some OPEC members to adhere to price-boosting production quotas.

"OPEC has lacked credibility for a long time on discipline," said Gerard Rigby, energy analyst at Fuel First Consulting in Sydney. "OPEC is going to have to show they are committed to the cut, that it's not just talk."

U.S. crude inventories rose slightly last week despite expectations for a drop, while gasoline reserves increased as demand stayed below year-ago levels, according to government data released Wednesday.

Analysts had expected a drop of 900,000 barrels, according to a survey by Platts, the energy information arm of McGraw-Hill Cos.

Gas prices, because it must be refined from crude, almost always lags the movement in oil prices.

Retail gas prices, which hit a low of $1.656 a gallon on Friday, rose to $1.667 a gallon Wednesday, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express.

In London, February Brent crude rose 97 cents to settle at $45.53 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange.

In other Nymex trading, gasoline futures fell 3.45 cents to settle at $1.0055 a gallon. Heating oil fell 1.77 cents to $1.4425 a gallon while natural gas for January delivery fell 15.2 cents to settle at $5.619 per 1,000 cubic feet.

___

Associated Press writers Pablo Gorondi in Budapest, Alex Kennedy in Singapore and George Jahn in Oran, Algeria, contributed to this report.

Strip Poker 388
12-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Gas going back up here, .15

Davidmnc
12-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Up .10 here today............what up wit dat?

Sea-Dated
12-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Went up a nickel or so here.

Here comes the Christmas travel season

cigdaze
12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, you guys know how that works...

Crude goes down $1...gasoline goes down $0.03 two months later.
But, when crude goes up $1, gasoline goes up $0.05 overnight.

:mad:

Perlmudder
12-17-2008, 05:44 PM
hmm still about 75 cents a liter here in toronto. hasn't budged much.

Roger 1
12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Monday, it was $1.46 a gallon for regular here in Kankakee. We have had three price increases here this week and it is now at $2.07.

cigdaze
12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Wierd...still going down here, 3 cents less this afternoon than this morning at my favorite fuel stop. Hopefully it keeps going that direction.

MarylandMark
12-18-2008, 06:08 AM
$2.37 for diesel today; was $2.41 yesterday

The last 5-6 weeks the day AFTER I get my 40 gallons they drop the price 4-10 cents; regardless of how low I let the tank go trying to time it..

jmeng
12-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Couple stations around here bounced up 3 or 4 cents.

fund razor
12-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Oil about 38 bbl right now.

03darkshadow
12-18-2008, 01:28 PM
how come opec has to be so greedy? and how come bushy bush wont step up to the plate and protect his countrys already failing economy. higher gas prices will not make the economy better

fund razor
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
how come opec has to be so greedy? and how come bushy bush wont step up to the plate and protect his countrys already failing economy. higher gas prices will not make the economy better
Tower of Power had a comment about that in 1974:

There's only so much oil in the ground
Sooner or later there won't be much around
Tell that to your kids while you driving downtown
That there's only so much oil in the ground

Can't cut loose without that juice
If we keep on like we doing things for sure
Will not be cool - It's a fact
We just ai't got suffiecient fuel

Sooner or later there won't be none around
Alternate sources of power must be found
Cause there's only so much oil in the ground

There's only so much oil in the earth
It's a fact of life - for what it's worth
Something every little boy and girl should know since birth

There's no excuse for our abuse
No excuse for our abuse
We just assume that we will not
Exceed the oil supply
But soon enough the world will watch the wells run dry.

OldSchool
12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
$2.37 for diesel today; was $2.41 yesterday

The last 5-6 weeks the day AFTER I get my 40 gallons they drop the price 4-10 cents; regardless of how low I let the tank go trying to time it..

I paid $2.29/gallon this morning in Edgewater for diesel

Geronimo36
12-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Despite the crappy economic conditions I smile when I see the price of oil drop.....

For all those times certain people kept saying; "invest in oil, use your profits to offset increased in costs", I guess this is payback fockers!

F'ing greed......

stecz20
12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Despite the crappy economic conditions I smile when I see the price of oil drop.....

For all those times certain people kept saying; "invest in oil, use your profits to offset increased in costs", I guess this is payback fockers!

F'ing greed......

supply and demand my balls..... in a free market you can always play with teh numbers.. had everything to do with scumbag greddy speculaters... f em.. them and the banks can kiss my north when im walking south.....

i love when people talk about their 401k, biggest scam there is... i love when peeps get excited when they make a few pennies on their dollar... people are defin making money of your 401k just not you......:03::03:

people are dumb and will believe anything you tell them... hence why we are all in this mess were in... i wonder the the united states of america credit score is.... china owns our ass, imagine that, china.. sum *****es still have dirt floors, but hey own us.... great.... fock em all i say... look out for number one, fock number 2...... he dont give a sh it about you, why should you about him.......

Davidmnc
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
supply and demand my balls..... in a free market you can always play with teh numbers.. had everything to do with scumbag greddy speculaters... f em.. them and the banks can kiss my north when im walking south.....

i love when people talk about their 401k, biggest scam there is... i love when peeps get excited when they make a few pennies on their dollar... people are defin making money of your 401k just not you......:03::03:

people are dumb and will believe anything you tell them... hence why we are all in this mess were in... i wonder the the united states of america credit score is.... china owns our ass, imagine that, china.. sum *****es still have dirt floors, but hey own us.... great.... fock em all i say... look out for number one, fock number 2...... he dont give a sh it about you, why should you about him.......

:rant::rant::icon_bs::rant::rant:

fund razor
12-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Wow.

36 bucks and the market following it down.

Sea-Dated
12-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Well said:seeya:

Davidmnc
12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Well said:seeya:

NEVER agree with Stecz.............even when he is right!! :sifone:

Fever Mike
12-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Oh what a great band Tower of Power was! Being a drummer is am a huge fan and have been able to see them live quite a few times.

Tower of Power had a comment about that in 1974:

Sooner or later there won't be much around
Tell that to your kids while you driving downtown

If we keep on like we doing things for sure
Will not be cool - It's a fact
We just ai't got suffiecient fuel

Sooner or later there won't be none around
Alternate sources of power must be found
Cause there's only so much oil in the ground

There's only so much oil in the earth
It's a fact of life - for what it's worth
Something every little boy and girl should know since birth

There's no excuse for our abuse
No excuse for our abuse
We just assume that we will not
Exceed the oil supply
But soon enough the world will watch the wells run dry.

cigdaze
12-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Like Fund said, Under 36...
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a956vt6xK5Rk&refer=worldwide

fund razor
12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Oh what a great band Tower of Power was! Being a drummer is am a huge fan and have been able to see them live quite a few times.
We may have been at the same show once. I know that you rep DW. I was out in Anaheim for the 96 namm show (working at a drum shop that was a big DW dealer) and we went to the private show hosted by DW. Second row in a small hotel ballroom. On the same trip we visited Oxnard and hung with John Good. Got the personal DW tour. I love DWs, but currently play Sonor.
End hijack... how about that low oil? :D

cigdaze
12-19-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=081219124001.vgagstf3&show_article=1

fund razor
12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't know if 34 makes me happy or frightened. Ya know what I mean?

cigdaze
12-19-2008, 09:59 AM
It is almost scary; bittersweet in a way, because it's signaling market collapse. Wait until January...

clayinaustin
12-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't know if 34 makes me happy or frightened. Ya know what I mean?

I'm happy about it. As long as I can keep my six-figure job, low gas prices are the only bright spot in these bad times. :ack2: