PDA

View Full Version : Couple caught trying to pawn stolen boat parts in Dania Beach, detectives say

Bobcat
03-22-2014, 06:43 AM
I wonder if the guy's tattoo reads "No Ragrets":D

By Wayne K. Roustan, Sun Sentinel
9:07 p.m. EDT, March 21, 2014

A young couple seen strolling hand in hand through a Dania Beach marina are now accused of at least a dozen burglaries at three boatyards in two weeks, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

The arrests were relatively easy, detectives said.

Paul Ellis Smith, 29, of Pembroke Pines, and Jennifer Ashley Comsa, 25, of Hollywood, were taken into custody Thursday after walking into the Gold-N-Pawn shop with stolen property. Broward sheriff's detectives happened to be there, looking for components taken from boats at local marinas, investigators said.

Harold Morrow heard about the arrests Friday morning.

"I was thrilled," he said. "I got a text from the marina that said, 'We got them,' so that was unbelievable."

He said he had an estimated $8,500 worth of navigational and stereo equipment stolen from his boat March 13.

"I think these [two] should be probably in the top 100 of America's dumbest criminals," he said with a laugh. "I mean, they stole tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff over the last two weeks and they took it to the nearest pawn shop? Wow."

Surveillance cameras recorded the couple holding hands while walking through the Anglers Marina, 4470 Ravenswood Road. The video also shows them walking along the dock, boarding boats and carrying several bags of equipment through the parking lot at night.

Investigators say Smith confessed to using a screwdriver and wire cutters on consoles to remove GPS systems and other electronics ranging in price from $300 to $10,000. Up to $80,000 worth of gear was reported stolen from more than 20 boats during the burglary spree, according to the arrest report.

"I knew it was just a matter of time before BSO caught up with them because they just couldn't stop," Morrow said.

He was busy trying to collect serial numbers as proof of ownership to reclaim some of his equipment because, he said, he can't get insurance for his old boat.

"I've got receipts but I didn't really record any serial numbers," he said. "[The equipment] has bar codes on them now and you have to scan them to learn the serial number from the bar code."

Smith and Comsa are facing charges that include burglary and grand theft, jail records show.

Morrow says he's just relieved the nautical nonsense is over.

"I've got to give props to the Broward Sheriff's Office," he said. "They really did an excellent job."

wkroustan@tribune.com or 954-356-4303

Copyright © 2014, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Ratickle
03-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Too funny!!