PDA

View Full Version : Protest Boat-In Held Today

Bobcat
10-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Boat-in held as protest
Shutdown forces closure of fishing in Everglades
BY TIMOTHY O'HARA Citizen Staff
tohara@keysnews.com
A group of Upper Keys flats guides and boaters will stage a "boat-in" today -- in protest of the federal government shutdown that has forced the closure of Everglades waters to boating and fishing.

Roughly 850 square miles of Florida Bay is closed as long as the federal government is shut down. Fishing guides were notified via email last week that they had to be out of Everglades National Park waters, which include 90 percent of the bay.

The move has outraged backcountry fishermen, who make a living in park waters, as well with other boaters.

The protest will occur at 1 p.m. today at Cowpens Cut off Plantation Key near the Everglades National Park boundary. Fishing guide Tad Burke expects about 100 boats to show up, he said.

The federal budget impasse has resulted in numerous federal closures including Everglades waters, where a number of light-tackle fishing guides make their livelihoods. Although state and offshore waters remain open for sportfishing, fall is a prime time for anglers who specifically come to the Keys to fish for snook, tarpon, redfish and trout in the park's shallow-water estuaries.

"There is a higher power that we don't have control over," said Upper Keys flats guide Randy Towe, who is an organizer of the protest. "That is the point of the rally -- to raise awareness and open the parks. It's cutting off our air supply and we have done nothing wrong. I hope everybody joins in and we make a statement. They need to come up with a solution. They need to open the park on at least a limited basis."

Also, the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council cancelled its monthly meeting set for Tuesday because of the federal shut down.

The Sanctuary Advisory Council was scheduled to hold its first meeting on Tuesday. It recently held a series of public meetings to get input on creating new closed fishing areas and expanding existing closed areas. Dozens of fishermen attended the meetings to voice their opposition to new closed areas. The council was scheduled to discuss how to handle the closed area proposals.

"When the shutdown has ended, I will work with (Sanctuary) Advisory Council Chair Ken Nedimyer to reschedule the meeting," Sanctuary Superintendent Sean Morton wrote in an email to advisory council members on Tuesday. "I apologize for any inconvenience and request providing your constituents and colleagues with this update."

The shut down has meant the closure of the sanctuary's Eco-Discovery Center in Key West, sanctuary mooring buoy maintenance projects and permitting of science and research projects in the sanctuary.

The shutdown has also forced the closure of Fort Jefferson and the rest of the Dry Tortugas National Park. The park is still open to transiting vessels and five park employees are still doing general maintenance work to the park, the fort and park equipment, Park Manager Glenn Simpson said.

"We have United States citizens and foreign nationals who come a come a long to visit the fort," Simpson said. "We (park employees) want to be open. We want people to visit."

Dry Tortugas National Park hosts 107 visitors on average each day in October. The park will lose an estimated $1,500 of entrance and concession fees each day of the shutdown, according to park officials.

The shutdown occurred because the Republican-controlled House of Representatives passed a spending bill that keeps current spending levels without funding for the Affordable Healthcare Act, aka Obamacare, while the Democratic Senate wants the program fully funded.

tohara@keysnews.com

Ratickle
10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
"According to a report by Bloomberg.com, while President Obama has made sure the shutdown forces the closure of grocery stores on military bases, the golf courses on those bases remain open. That includes three 18-hole courses at Andrews Air Force base, where the President often plays because of its close proximity to the White House."

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-keeps-government-golf-courses-open-during-shutdown

Ratickle
10-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Grocery stores on Army bases in the U.S. are closed. The golf course at Andrews Air Force base is open.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-03/troops-forage-for-food-while-golfers-play-on-in-shutdown.html

rschap1
10-09-2013, 01:32 PM
I hope the truckers deal and the boat in do REAL well.
What a POS our "pres" is
:(

Buoy
10-09-2013, 02:29 PM
With the National parks being closed, I wonder if it's illegal to look out my window at Superstition mountain? It's technically part of Tonto National Forest.

fund razor
10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
I'd look out the front at the valley, just in case.

Can't be too careful.

Bobcat
10-09-2013, 04:16 PM
I never figgered Tim for a scofflaw....:D

old377guy
10-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I did

Buoy
10-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Can I plead the 5th amendment?
Or did they take that away too?

Buoy
10-09-2013, 05:14 PM
I'd look out the front at the valley, just in case.

Can't be too careful.

Big dust storm in the valley right now.

fund razor
10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Haboob?

Buoy
10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Haboob?

They have haboobs in the Middle East.
Out here, it's a dust storm;)

Bobcat
10-10-2013, 06:56 AM
They came! They protested! They left!
Sign-toting boaters took a stand against closure of Florida Bay
BY ROBERT SILK Free Press Staff
rsilk@keysnews.com
An estimated 100-plus boats filled with protestors took to Florida Bay Wednesday afternoon to implore leaders in Washington to reopen Everglades National Park, as well as the 400 other national parks throughout the United States.

The protesters came in flats boats, kayaks, bay boats, pontoon boats, paddle boards and other water vehicles. They parked just to the south of Cowpens Cut Channel, off Plantation Key, and a short distance east of the park boundary.

But with the exception of two vessels, they didn't make the trip across the Intercoastal Waterway and into the 780 square miles of the bay that has been off-limits since last Monday due to the partial shutdown of the federal government.

When the Gulf of Mexico side of Everglades National Park is counted, some 1,000 square miles of water are closed to fishing, and to the approximately 350 guides who have permits to lead anglers into the park.

"The longer this closure goes on, the more economically devastating it is to us and others throughout South Florida who depend on the park to help support their families," Randy Towe, an Islamorada-based backcountry fishing guide and one of the organizers of the rally, said through a megaphone as the boats floated in the calm bay waters.

The protest drew a varied crowd of professional fishermen, marine-related businessmen and Florida Bay enthusiasts. Many carried flags. Some held signs.

"Don't shut down our backyard," read one such sign, held by four school-age boys.

Absent from the event were park rangers. The guides, in conjunction with Andy Newman, who does public relations for the Monroe County Tourist Development Council, had assured Everglades Superintendant Dan Kimball that they would stay clear of park waters.

Newman said the TDC has a strong interest in seeing the fishing guides return to work.

"The goal is very simple," he said. "It's to get these guys in the park so their clients will continue to come."

Fishermen say the shutdown has come during one of the best times of year to fish Florida Bay. The cooling waters of fall suit prized fish like tarpon, redfish and trout, said guide Tad Burke, one of the protest organizers. And snook, valued for the tasty meat, are in season for the first time since a devastating cold front in 2010.

The closure hasn't stopped backcountry trips entirely. Flats guides can still hit the less extensive shallows on the oceanside of the Upper and Middle Keys, for example. But it's definitely making it harder to make bookings, Burke said.

Out near the park boundary Wednesday, the protesters gathered for the better part of an hour while news media boated around capturing photos. Overhead, Newman shot photos from a helicopter. Representatives from the Reuters and Getty wire services were on the scene. So were Miami television crews.

When the helicopter cleared, Towe, using both a megaphone and the radio, read his statement imploring Congress to end the shutdown and open the national parks.

For protesters Brandon Panse and Steve Jahn, both marine mechanics, the guides can't get back to work soon enough.

"We work on boats," Panse said. "If they don't make money, we don't make money."

rsilk@keysnews.com

rschap1
10-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Nice...
permit holders now denied access how is that for some real POS leadership...

Big credits to the protest boaters!!!
These @$$hats in government need to feel the pain that they are generating with OUR money !!

Ratickle
10-10-2013, 10:40 PM
They have haboobs in the Middle East.
Out here, it's a dust storm;)

I'm sure they have Ha Boobs in Phoenix too....:boobflash: Have you driven by the college?????

Buoy
10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm sure they have Ha Boobs in Phoenix too....:boobflash: Have you driven by the college?????

Sure, and they are nice!!
But out my way is the trailer park capital of the world (in town).
It's all snowbirds.
You don't want to those Ha boobs leaning over the produce at the grocery store.

Ratickle
10-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Nice...
permit holders now denied access how is that for some real POS leadership...

Big credits to the protest boaters!!!
These @$$hats in government need to feel the pain that they are generating with OUR money !!

It never ceases to amaze me that these guys can get away with exempting themselves, and their friends, from any of the laws and rules they force us to follow by their law.....:cuss: