PDA

View Full Version : Has Serious been hacked???

poncho
09-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Every time I come onto this site Avast says threat detected Trojan Horse blocked. It also happens when I open a thread. Seems the site has been hacked by an annoying damn hacker!!!!

Hellbent
09-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Yup. Working on it. Trying to avoid restoring a full backup but may need to. Site may go down for a couple hours tnite

Ratickle
09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Odd I can get in from my phone but not my reg computers.

Bobcat
09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
It was the ghost of Don Aronow....:rolleyes:

Ratickle
09-27-2013, 08:57 AM
If I turn off my avast protection I can get in from home too.

Ratickle
09-28-2013, 07:56 AM
It's taking more than a couple hours. Our host messed up the backup so the redo has become a major undertaking.

Serious News
09-29-2013, 08:46 AM
There was/is some kind of a major hack attack on vbulletin sites around the world. Here are a couple quotes from vbulletin.org;

Th3H4ck Has hacked hundreds of VB forums over the last few days, what is the exploit and are we working on a fix???

Yeah I saw he joined today and used my Spam-O-Matic features to get rid of him but I would really like to know how he signed up as an Admin?

Anyway, our webmaster is working on it. Hopefully we will not lose too much information.

Hellbent
09-29-2013, 09:46 PM
I might have it all cleaned up. Every time I've thought that over the last 3 days I've ended up finding more crap so I'm not going to guarantee anything yet....lol. If your anti-virus software is up to date it should detect the trojans and redirects that the hack was using. It was a nasty hack. Took a lot of sites down. We were in a particularly bad spot because we rely on our host for our day to day backups. Problem with that is they only save 32hrs of backups. What this hacker did was inject his code several weeks ago then let it sit dormant for a while until finally activating it. That meant all of the hosts backups were infected so we couldn't just roll the site back to one of them. I ended up having to remove everything from both the site and the database manually. It's going to take a little bit for Google to do it's scan and remove us from their list of infected sites so don't be surprised to see some Google warnings for a little while...especially if you use Chrome as your browser. Definitely don't disable your anti-virus software with this one. If you did disable your anti-virus over the past couple days so you could visit the site, I would recommend changing the passwords for any important accounts that you may have stored on your computer....banks, paypal, etc. and doing a full system scan with updated anti-virus software. Again...this was a pretty nasty hack...take it seriously.

poncho
09-30-2013, 09:33 PM
I kept my virus software on and have not been able to get the site since Friday. Hackers really suck.

Ratickle
10-01-2013, 08:25 PM
This one is a major issue. There are still sites down all over the world. They even got a major college....

Bobcat
10-01-2013, 09:21 PM
And by Major College you mean the PAC 10:rofl:

Ratickle
10-01-2013, 10:18 PM
It's the Pac 12. Unlike the Midwestern colleges, we can count out west..........

Coolerman
10-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah I saw he joined today and used my Spam-O-Matic features to get rid of him but I would really like to know how he signed up as an Admin?

Wow......

fund razor
10-01-2013, 10:36 PM
I might have it all cleaned up. Every time I've thought that over the last 3 days I've ended up finding more crap so I'm not going to guarantee anything yet....lol. If your anti-virus software is up to date it should detect the trojans and redirects that the hack was using. It was a nasty hack. Took a lot of sites down. We were in a particularly bad spot because we rely on our host for our day to day backups. Problem with that is they only save 32hrs of backups. What this hacker did was inject his code several weeks ago then let it sit dormant for a while until finally activating it. That meant all of the hosts backups were infected so we couldn't just roll the site back to one of them. I ended up having to remove everything from both the site and the database manually. It's going to take a little bit for Google to do it's scan and remove us from their list of infected sites so don't be surprised to see some Google warnings for a little while...especially if you use Chrome as your browser. Definitely don't disable your anti-virus software with this one. If you did disable your anti-virus over the past couple days so you could visit the site, I would recommend changing the passwords for any important accounts that you may have stored on your computer....banks, paypal, etc. and doing a full system scan with updated anti-virus software. Again...this was a pretty nasty hack...take it seriously.

Thanks for all of your work on this Jason.

Ratickle
10-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow......

Yeah, we had a new admin too......

poncho
10-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Good work getting the site back up. I don't see how its fun for these people to do this to websites. They must be major losers in real life.

Coolerman
10-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Is there something wrong with making an honest living and not having to hack websites to infect others with a virus to steal their info? wtf.......

Ratickle
10-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Nothing better for these civilization dropouts to do than sit around in their brown and yellow stained underwear playing games and trying to figure out how to make someone else as miserable as they are.....(While Mom makes their meals and delivers them for the past 10 years they've been out of school).

Hellbent
10-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all of your work on this Jason.

No worries. Unfortunately the hackers have more time to spend on it than I do! I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the guys who put this one together.

Ratickle
10-04-2013, 08:21 PM
There are so many sites hacked currently it's incredible. I'm getting really close to blaming IB, who not only owns oso but vbulletin plus hundreds of other sites, for the major size of the issue.

fund razor
10-05-2013, 11:18 AM
There are so many sites hacked currently it's incredible. I'm getting really close to blaming IB, who not only owns oso but vbulletin plus hundreds of other sites, for the major size of the issue.

They screw up the sites they buy.

They might as well screw up the ones that they don't.

:)

poncho
10-05-2013, 07:45 PM

I don't like IB and its why I'm not on OSO.

Ratickle
10-06-2013, 04:03 PM

You got me laughing out loud on that one!!!!

fund razor
10-06-2013, 05:05 PM
You got me laughing out loud on that one!!!!

That would have been another "like." :D

Ratickle
10-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Yes it would have....