PDA

View Full Version : Active thunder vs 29 fountian

wild one
09-24-2013, 11:22 PM
I am looking for the biggest single engine boat that runs Great in rough water has speed, the biggest cabin and the family can enjoy. I had a 38 fountain express cruiser that I docked in a marina. I want to trailer and not have the expenses of twins. I was set on a 29 fountain but a friend steered me to Active Thunders and Volacity. He also recommended this web site for information. One of these days these a boat manufacture will make a different speed boat and get rid of the sun pad and put more efficient seating. So many people sell because not enough cockpit room. I would Greatly appreciate some information.

Ratickle
09-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Well, the 28 Active Thunder is probably 3' larger in usable space than the Fountain, (No Beak and no built in swim platform). It's also deeper and has a bigger cabin. But, it has no steps, so it's not as fast but a better ride in rough water. They all tested over 70 with a single 525 so not a pig by any means....

The Velocity is also a good boat, not as much room as the AT.

Sunsation also has a 28 with a nice cabin and a good rough weater ride. Once again a built in platform, so smaller than the AT.

Fins a 28 AT in your area and take a peek. It may be the closest to what you're looking for.

fund razor
09-25-2013, 08:01 AM
runs Great in rough water has speed

What do you define as "rough water?"
What body of water are we talking?

What speed are you looking for?

Bobcat
09-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Atlantic Ocean, off of the coast of New Jersey I assume.

Rough water boats Pantera 28'

Active Thunder 28'

Sonic 28'

Saber 28'

These have deeper cockpits, which is nice if you are tall.

wild one
09-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Well, the 28 Active Thunder is probably 3' larger in usable space than the Fountain, (No Beak and no built in swim platform). It's also deeper and has a bigger cabin. But, it has no steps, so it's not as fast but a better ride in rough water. They all tested over 70 with a single 525 so not a pig by any means....

The Velocity is also a good boat, not as much room as the AT.

Sunsation also has a 28 with a nice cabin and a good rough weater ride. Once again a built in platform, so smaller than the AT.

Fins a 28 AT in your area and take a peek. It may be the closest to what you're looking for.

Thanks for information. Im starting to lean towards AT Cant find a 28 to go look at and possibly purchase. Lots of 25 but I think that would be too small?

Ratickle
09-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I think Billy Frenz has one for sale on his website. Probably up in New York, but give him a shout to see where.

28 ActiveThunder (http://www.nationalpowerboat.com/28-activethunder-2005.htm)

Email Billy Frenz, frenzyyy@optonline.net or Call (203)532-1312

wild one
09-25-2013, 10:53 AM
I like to cruise around 50 without the engine working too hard. If I feel like playing the sky is the limit on speed but mid 70's works. Mid to High 60's dont work. I boat in the Barnaget bay sometimes Navasink. Like to take the boat outside to Atlantic City for weekend In Atlantic Ocean if I got caught up in 3 to 4's. I would like to feel safe and move at a reasonable speed. Also looking to go up the hudson and if the seas change on the way back dont want to worry if boat can handle. I havent seen one yet but it seems like AT has biggest cabin. Cant find a 28 AT to look at and possible purchase. Lots of 25 which I haven't seen yet but not sure if that will work? Thanks for input.

Ratickle
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
And if you are moving down from a big 38 Express, the 25 will seem really small......

Ratickle
09-25-2013, 10:58 AM
That 70+ is with a stock 525 Merc. I'll see if I can find a test online. If you want to spend a few bucks, I know Tyler Crockett did one with a built engine and somebody had one with a procharger on it. They would both have to be over 80.....

Ratickle
09-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Active Thunder Boats 28´ Savage Boat Reviews

Active Thunder Boats 28´ Savage Boat Reviews

Click to Zoom
Click to Zoom

Product Details

The entire layout of the Active Thunder Savage is designed to make the most out of every inch of real estate on the boat. First, the cockpit has nearly 4 feet of freeboard putting the passengers deep into the boat for a secure ride. The cockpit is sized for as many as 6 adults with the optional, drop-in, third man bolster. With a standard, signle HP 525 EFI the Savage well exceeds 70 mph safely and efficiently, handling any type of water mother nature can dish out!

The cabin is designed with over-nighting in mind. The standard V-berth is 56 inches at is widest point and has an overall length almost 7 feet! As soon as you enter the cabin, on the starboard side you find an enclosed head with a porta-potti or optional electric head. With close to 5 feet of cabin headroom at its deepest point, you are clearly in a big cabin for this class/size of boat. Portside combines a galley and just forward are 2 facing couches so there.s lots of room to unwind after a good day boating. Optional dinette table makes meals a pleasant event.

The hull is a proven 24 Degree deep-V. The hull is constructed with no wood, as the stringers and transom are comprised of composite urethane components with no worry of water absorption. All composites are the best you can get, utilizing pure Vinylester resins, bi and tri-directional glass with Divinycell coring. With an overall weight of 4800 lbs., 20 gallons of fresh water, and 100 gallons of fuel, you are more than likely within the tow specs of just about any half- ton truck.

Overall, the Active Thunder 28 Savage is the perfect entry-level offshore boat with a proven standard power package that is designed to ride incredibly well in rougher waters, and carve turns like a go-kart!

Ratickle
09-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Active Thunder Savage 28 (502 500 470 shp) 71.1 radar Hot Boat 6/00

wild one
09-25-2013, 11:07 AM
That 70+ is with a stock 525 Merc. I'll see if I can find a test online. If you want to spend a few bucks, I know Tyler Crockett did one with a built engine and somebody had one with a procharger on it. They would both have to be over 80.....

I think the 525 is what Im looking for. If a 28 At comes my way with a different power plant Im Open. If you hear of any others for sale I would Greatly appreciate leads. Thanks for lead and information.

Ratickle
09-25-2013, 11:08 AM
http://youtu.be/0tFGZJ9EhYg

Ratickle
09-25-2013, 11:11 AM
This one is on Long Island

Powerboat for sale, 2004 28ft Active thunder 28 SAVAGE performance boat. St James, NY. Boats usa (http://www.buyusedboatsforsale.com/boats/active-thunder-63.html)

Ratickle
09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
28 Active Thunder? (http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/active-thunder/11263-28-active-thunder.html)

rschap1
09-25-2013, 11:36 AM
How 'bout a 28 Powerquest Silencer??

or

Not the roomiest in it's class and has twins, but
a nice looking Pantera just hit Craigslist in my area.

fund razor
09-25-2013, 12:01 PM
And if you are moving down from a big 38 Express, the 25 will seem really small......

I was thinking the same thing and then read your post. Even a 28 may seem a little small.

wild one
09-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks for video. They dont look like 3 to 4 footers to me. They kind of roll in the Atlantic Ocean. I would like to see how the boat runs into a rolling sea. I had a 280ss formula before the 38 fountain express. It handled the seas ok. Couldnt get on top and ride it out kind of had to plow through it. I was hoping an At type boat would ride Much better than formula 280ss. Anyone give me an idea between them boats. The 280SS has a very nice cockpit layout but was looking for much better ride and more performance.

Ratickle
09-27-2013, 08:45 AM
I think they may have hit a couple of threes.

Ratickle
09-28-2013, 07:57 AM
The Powerquest is also a good boat in that size that performs well with a single.

jdoss
09-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Take a look at the 28 saber, they are building one with twin 520's Merc right now but a single merc 520 would also be a nice boat. With the old 502, 415 HP it ran mid 60's. also, no platform or beak, a true running length surface with a deep freeboard. Also, you could do a ob boat and make a larger cockpit.

Hellbent
09-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the Official Website of Saber Marine (http://www.saberboats.com/)

Ratickle
09-30-2013, 10:30 PM
That is another good choice for a full 28' with rough water performance and no dog with a single.

Sydwayz
10-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I am looking for the biggest single engine boat that runs Great in rough water has speed, the biggest cabin and the family can enjoy. I had a 38 fountain express cruiser that I docked in a marina. I want to trailer and not have the expenses of twins. I was set on a 29 fountain but a friend steered me to Active Thunders and Volacity. He also recommended this web site for information. One of these days these a boat manufacture will make a different speed boat and get rid of the sun pad and put more efficient seating. So many people sell because not enough cockpit room. I would Greatly appreciate some information.

Are you looking for a new or used boat? I can help with either.

The first 29 Active Thunder with the DDC patented single step hull is in tooling as I type this. We have a few people interested, but have not made any commitments with anyone until we pop the boat out of the mold. We are planning to put a 565EFI in the boat unless something changes.

There is also a 28 Active Thunder that belongs to a friend/customer with a 525EFI in CT that I believe would sell his boat.

My contact info is below. Hit me up with an email and we can chat.

Thank you for the heads up on this thread Ratickle.

Ratickle
10-02-2013, 09:13 PM
I was hoping you may know of one close up there for him to take a peek at. You can't appreciate the difference in size without being in one, even though the Fountain is sold as a 29.

Offshore Ginger
10-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Personally . if i was to go with a 28 i would go with either a Sabre ( which is built like a brick $hit house ) or an Apache 28 brave which also is built very well , just my 2 cents .

Ratickle
10-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Both really good boats. I don't think either has the cabin room of the AT though. I'd sure like to have the three side by side for review at the same time....

baronmarine
10-14-2013, 10:01 PM
that is not a lake michigan 3' -4'. looks like fun never the less.

todd

Ratickle
10-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't think that's 3 to 4's anywhere. But nice spacing on nice little 2 to 3' swells.....

Offshore Ginger
10-16-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't think that's 3 to 4's anywhere. But nice spacing on nice little 2 to 3' swells..... Ha Ha , i agree and 3 to 4's .............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ratickle
10-17-2013, 06:38 PM

Well, any decisions or more reviews yet?

Hellbent
10-19-2013, 04:31 PM
There's a Pantera in Port Monmouth, NJ for a great price. You'd have to make sure it wasn't sitting at the bottom in a storm though....