PDA

View Full Version : Boat Accident A Few Miles Away Here

Ratickle
09-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Boat collision terror recalled

Recounting the terrifying moments of a near-catastrophic fishing trip earlier this week on Lake Michigan, Barbara Ramoie said: “All I remember is water, bubbles and black."
Becky Vargo Port Sheldon Township

Sep 6, 2013

Larry Baum and his wife, Barbara Ramoie, were fishing for perch Sunday evening when their boat was struck by a much larger vessel. "We're lucky to be alive," Ramoie said.

The Grand Haven woman and her husband, Larry Baum, were in their fishing boat anchored in about 20 feet of water near the Port Sheldon pier when it was struck by a 36-foot powerboat at about 6 p.m. Sunday.

The jolt launched the 58-year-old woman off the bow of the couple's 17-foot Starcraft. Baum, 57, was tossed side to side in the boat, Ramoie said.

Ramoie said she ended up facedown in the water and unconscious. Her husband grabbed her pants and was able to flip her over.

"He found me (in the water) by the engine," she said.

Ramoie was regaining consciousness when her husband grabbed her arm to pull her into the boat. She said she was sliding back out of his grip when she looked at him and said, “Don’t let go of me.”

Baum was able to get ahold of his wife and pull her into the boat as some of the other boats in the area came to their aid.

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department Marine Patrol responded and made sure the smaller boat was not sinking. Ramoie said the sheriff's deputy put his jacket and a life jacket on her.

“He said, ‘We need to get her to shore,’” she recalled.

The Sheriff's Department boat met emergency vehicles at the state boat launch in Port Sheldon, said Sgt. Cal Keuning. Paramedics placed Ramoie on a backboard and took her by ambulance to North Ottawa Community Hospital.

Ramoie suffered a head injury and, days later, noted that she was having a little trouble with short-term memory.

Her husband was bruised from being tossed around in the boat, she said.

“We’re lucky to be alive,” Ramoie said. “I don’t know how we even survived it.”

Ramoie said they were anchored and fishing with several other boats when the collision happened.

“I looked at my phone — I remember it was 5:56 p.m.," she said. "I looked up and I said, ‘Larry, do you see that boat?’”

Baum told her the boat would go around them. But when they realized it wasn't going around them, they stood up, waved their arms over their heads and screamed at the approaching boat.

The larger, cigarette-type boat struck the couple's fishing boat, and then circled back to the scene.

“They kept saying, ‘We’re sorry, we were talking, we didn’t see you,’” Ramoie said.

Keuning said both boats suffered some damage, but were able to leave under their own power.

Police originally identified the pilot of the larger boat as Steven Rescorla of Grand Haven. Police said he told them that there were mechanical problems with the boat that affected its steering.

Keuning would not confirm the name of the 36-foot boat’s pilot because he had not been arraigned on charges related to the incident. However, Keuning said that person was arrested at the scene for operating under the influence of alcohol-watercraft.

Ottawa County Prosecuting Attorney Ron Frantz said they were expecting the report for review.

“It appears he was arrested, lodged and released,” Frantz said. “A warrant request, I’m told, is forthcoming. Once that happens, an arraignment will be set.”

Rescorla, when reached at his Grand Rapids business Thursday afternoon, had no comment.

Court records show that Rescorla had a similar charge in Ottawa County dismissed in 1998. He in turn pleaded guilty to reckless operation of a watercraft.

Rescorla had no other charges on his record in Ottawa County. Keuning said he did not have any information as to whether or not the boat pilot had charges in any other jurisdictions.

Bobcat
09-09-2013, 09:33 AM
He's F*cked.

fund razor
09-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Was that Blue Moon?

Ratickle
09-09-2013, 12:55 PM
No one has named the boat, but I have to assume so.

rschap1
09-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Oh $Hi+
That really sucks all around
Those poor people in that lil' fishing boat
That has to be TERRIFYING
You would just feel helpless and watch yourself getting ran over

:(

AND to have had a previous offense like this:(

Wrinkleface
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Was that Blue Moon?

No one has named the boat, but I have to assume so.

based on 36 foot boat & the person named! same as Rat!

Hellbent
09-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Heard about this over the weekend. Glad no one was hurt. It could have been much worse. I do feel bad for Steve though. He rebuilt one of my tranny's this Summer. It was the first time I had met him but he seemed like a nice guy.

fund razor
09-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Really a miracle that nobody was seriously injured. Thank God.

I had met that skipper before, but don't know him.
I think that it says a lot that he circled back. He was probably horrified.

Ratickle
09-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Yep, I'm sure he was. Distracted driving is dumb in a boat too.....

Ratickle
09-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Different reporting, Alcohol was Not a factor...

UNDATED (WHTC) - It was busy for law enforcement on the waters along the Lakeshore prior to today’s holiday.

According to Ottawa County Sheriff’s Sergeant Chris Koster, 58-year-old Steven Rescorla of Grand Haven encountered some mechanical trouble on his 36-foot boat last evening as it was going north on Lake Michigan near the Port Sheldon Pier. Rescorla turned around to deal with the problem, and when he turned back, his craft was bearing down on an anchored 17-foot boat straight ahead. He told Koster that he couldn’t avoid a collision, due in part to the mechanical issue.

The force of the crash caused a passenger in the other boat, 58-year-old Barbara Ramoie of Grand Haven, to be tossed overboard; she was taken to North Ottawa Community Hospital for treatment of a minor head injury. Rescorla and the other boat pilot, 57-year-old Larry Baum of Grand Haven, were not hurt.

Koster said that alcohol was not a factor in this crash

http://whtc.com/news/articles/2013/sep/02/busy-boating-weekend-for-law-enforcement-along-lakeshore/

fund razor
09-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Bad, earlier reporting, Paul.
It's always awkward in Michigan when a name gets out prior to an arrest, and then when someone is booked, they stop using the name until the arraignment.

Bobcat
09-13-2013, 08:37 AM
When I was on that paddle wheel boat that rolled over in Connecticut, the press stated for 3 weeks on the front page that the Captain was drunk. The media then apologized in the small print somewhere in the back. Just makes for a better story I guess.

Ratickle
09-14-2013, 01:19 AM
It really is too bad that the "News" can report anything they want for sensationalism then recant anywhere in small print and tell the truth. Free speech should not count for the news. Everything they print or say should have to be accurate or they should face fines, and loss of license by the Feds. Same should hold true for politicians.

fund razor
09-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Well, if it was Blue Moon, it looks pretty good to me. Was behind it on I-75 today between Detroit and Toledo, getting off at exit 11, which would be the Bolles Harbor launch.
Guessing it was on Lake Erie a few moments later. I saw no damage. Maybe it was fixed quick.

Ratickle
09-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Good to know....