PDA

View Full Version : backflushing help

phragle
05-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Went to put the new impellor on and the old one is in pieces. I get that I need to backflush the system... do I pull the hoses from the bottom of the manifold and stick the garden hose in there???? or someplace else??

Buoy
05-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Sorry I can't help ya Rob.
I know Jim is the guy to talk to on this, but I only have his e-mail, not a phone number.
Maybe Rat has it.
I'm assuming you're trying to get this done today.
good luck!!
I'm enjoying your thread/updates.

phragle
05-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks, just finished riser gaskets, just need to backflush and put the drive back on . it wont be "DONE" but it will be sea trialable.

Buoy
05-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks, just finished riser gaskets, just need to backflush and put the drive back on . it wont be "DONE" but it will be sea trialable.

Make sure you take Fundy up on his offer to bring his boat out for the "trial".
And bring a tow line just in case.

Donskihp
05-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Collect all the pieces to see if you get all of them. Fresh water cooled Engine? If so flush from the heat exchange back to the pump.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Yes, collect all the pieces and re construct. If you back flush from the thermostat housing you may find them all . Find them. If you don't they could next be in the thermostat housing. If the pass there the could get stuck not to be seen for a while. After they go through the engine they may end up in the risers outlet and cause the riser to overheat and/ or melt a hose or something. Step one, account for as much as you can easily and assess the risk depending on what is un accounted for. When you first water test always check the riser temp by hand . Allow the engine to come to temp before removing from trailer. You should be able to keep your hand on the top of the risers. They should be like warm bath water. After first hard run. open the hatch and check every where for various fluid leaks. You should be able to touch the top of the risers. If the are to hot to touch you have a flow issue. They may be like hot bath water but you should still be able to touch and hold for a second or two at least. One may be warmer then the other but only a little. If one is smoking hot and the other is cool it has debris in it or somewhere leading to it.

Good luck. It is time for her to treat you well for your efforts. Keep us posted.

Ratickle
05-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Sorry I can't help ya Rob.
I know Jim is the guy to talk to on this, but I only have his e-mail, not a phone number.
Maybe Rat has it.
I'm assuming you're trying to get this done today.
good luck!!
I'm enjoying your thread/updates.

Rob, check your phone messages, left Jim's number.

The biggest backflush issues I know of, coolers. Little pieces get stuck in the cooler passages and you can never get them out. So, pay close attention to temps when you run it, no matter how well you've flushed. But, hopefully Jim has more advice on the things to watch for.

Ratickle
05-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Hey Jim, are you getting rain like San Antonio?