PDA

View Full Version : National Safe Boating Week

fund razor
05-14-2013, 02:08 PM
National Safe Boating Week kicked off Saturday.
Just a friendly reminder to all of our friends and family that according to statistics from the U.S. Coast Guard, 70 percent of the fatalities in boating accidents are from the victims drowning, and in 84 percent of those cases, these victims were not wearing a life jacket.

Don't just carry your jacket, wear it.:USA:

In addition to the normal fire extinguishers, flares, anchor, throwable, and distress flag, consider adding a quality first aid kit to your vessel. The life you save may be on your boat, or you may be the first on the scene. Offshore boaters who don't use marine radios in this day of cell phones should consider a VHF radio for better emergency communication, alerts and standby.

Remember that more than half of passenger drownings are intoxicated guests, so you sober skippers, watch that crew!

As we get into the season up north, have fun but stay safe! :seeya:

poncho
05-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Good reminder. Here we can't have intoxicated guests, they've banned booze on the water!

Bobcat
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
I've taken precautions !

poncho
05-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I've taken precautions !

I grew up living on a beach in Canada neighboring a place called Point Roberts, WA. Friends mother owned a bar at the point on the water. We stole her bar keys and not wanting to drive across the border underage with stolen beer. Got the bright idea of filling my 12ft aluminum boat with it and smuggling it across. The boat looked like that picture except we also had two kegs. We got caught by the mother for the beer theft, she was cool and didn't call the cops!

Ratickle
05-15-2013, 08:51 PM
I've taken precautions !

Yep, shouldn't drown.....